Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 00:42   #61
BHPian

So I watched Autocar show tonight on bloomberg channel iirc. Surprisingly the master blaster was featured. These days he is actually looking great.

So why was he on the show? No prizes for guessing. He was driving a red car that was recently launched of which he has been a fan. Hw went on to add that his entire family loves that car and owns many models.

Hormazd was also doing a fantastic job of promoting the red car, given that he had once owned a preworshipped green 3 series from a parsi family. This id read long back in ACI so no surprises here.

The master blaster was also driving a Noble i think. Did look the same as the one on TG supercars episode of season 18. He went onto say now his interest has moved onto cars which do 0-100 in 3s rather than 4s. And 3 series is perfect car for mumbai. And 320i was his first car and 3 series is perfect for mumbai streets in his opinion.

Did you notice the number of times he mentioned 3 in the episode or the number of 3s i mentioned in the above para.

Why did he sell the ferrari btw? More importantly he bought a GTR after that.

Oh and I think instead of Hormazd, Jeremy Clarkson shouldve been there along with a lap of master blaster in the TG test track. I think given the sense of humor of Jezza, Indians would actually stop watching TG after that episode.

And one would be wrong to assume that many people wouldnt know about BMW in far off places. People watch tv, read newspapers and magazines and so many times we've seen BMW ads. And to think adding Sachin will bring recognition to those few people who arent in the know about the brand, think again. These people have seen him in malted powder ads, pens, laptops, life insurance, treat biscuits and none of them are premium items. These few people will then think BMW also isnt a premium item and will rather run to a Merc showroom.

I wish Sachin would also promote hockey with some enthusiasm. People would atleast start taking interest in that game then. Our national game has lost appeal with the youth. All it needs is a marketing boost from the master blaster.

He is an inspiration to all. So in the matter of sports, what he recommends will be taken as the word of God. This i say with no sarcasm. Im pretty damn serious about this part.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:17   #62
BHPian

re: Sachin Tendulkar : The BMW 3 Series' brand ambassador

No BMW!

You never know sachin may some day in the future may think of selling off his BMW ala the Ferrari! Then some bollywood producer will make another movie BMW ki sawari! No Please No sachin!
Old 30th July 2012, 18:22   #63
BHPian

I don't think BMWs or the likes require Sachin to sell their cars. Their target customers wouldn't care much either way one would think. Anyway, it seems brands like to make Sachin richer

I'm reading from threads here that BMW is trying to make volumes. Probably BMW thinks Sachin might help sell cars in the sub-20 L category (if they ever manage to sell that cheap in future - not that I'm complaining).

Last edited by CBlazer : 30th July 2012 at 18:26.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:42   #64
PPS
Senior - BHPian

As expected Tendulkar was going ga-ga over BMW's in all his interviews!
He also revealed on another show that he recently drove the 7 series which he was initially a bit wary of due to its size. Also he plans on buying the F10 M5 soon. I believe he presently owns the E60 M5. On being asked which is the most exciting car he's ever driven..surprise surprise he didn't say any BMW but the Ariel Atom! He's also eagerly awaiting the i8.
I wonder why didn't anybody ask him about his Blue Audi Q7.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:58   #65
BHPian

Yes Sachin is a cricketing legend and i dont think anyone is bashing him here.

Being a man of honor, everyone would expect words coming from him to be true. He may have nothing to prove to anyone, but we common people look up to them as our heroes. But as so many people are pointing out here we can see such is not the case. Some say he now loves ariel atom, yesterday on autocar it was the Noble M1.

So here is one food for thought for all fans of the master blaster. When India won the world cup yes it was a moment of joy etc soon to be shattered with the news that we received a fake world cup as the original one was tied up in some issues.

So when the media asked him what he has to say for that, all he offered was No comment. Why not shout about the wrong being done there? Billion fans of cricket in India, their joys were shattered with that news and I looked up to my hero to say something in protest. But all i got from God was "No comment".

And since he sold off a ferrari(duty evasion) for a GTR, 10 years down the line he may also say nah Mumbai roads cant handle cars like bmw. When some other company books him as brand ambassador after his contract with BMW gets over.

We the common man will then support the other company even though joy will still stay with bmw.
Old 30th July 2012, 23:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Being a man of honor, everyone would expect words coming from him to be true. He may have nothing to prove to anyone, but we common people look up to them as our heroes. But as so many people are pointing out here we can see such is not the case. Some say he now loves ariel atom, yesterday on autocar it was the Noble M1.
So cant a man love more than a thing??? And does his loving the Atom means he cannot love BMWs?

Quote:

So here is one food for thought for all fans of the master blaster. When India won the world cup yes it was a moment of joy etc soon to be shattered with the news that we received a fake world cup as the original one was tied up in some issues.

So when the media asked him what he has to say for that, all he offered was No comment. Why not shout about the wrong being done there? Billion fans of cricket in India, their joys were shattered with that news and I looked up to my hero to say something in protest. But all i got from God was "No comment".
So what did you expect him to say? Isint it a matter for the administrators of the game rather than the players? For me the fact will remain for next 4 years that we are the champions of the world (now it will be 3 more, but 4 at that time). Dont care if the trophy was made of wood or stone or whatever. Sachin does not get to keep it isint it?

Quote:
And since he sold off a ferrari(duty evasion) for a GTR, 10 years down the line he may also say nah Mumbai roads cant handle cars like bmw. When some other company books him as brand ambassador after his contract with BMW gets over.
comeon this is outright juvenile. Why cant a man sell his car??? Dont we all do that? Is there a rule somewhere that once you buy a bmw you gotta keep it forever??????

Quote:
We the common man will then support the other company even though joy will still stay with bmw.
what this sentence mean I could not get head or tail of it!

People are forgetting its BMW who approached Sachin not the other way round. What was he supposed to say. Get out of my door???
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 23:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you did not, but a few people have done that as if they had something to lose when he gains.

Quote:
So, you are saying that no one should change their stance even though they are heroes. Maybe he does not want to be a hero, he wants to be the boy next door, totally immature and not knowing how to react to his fame ? Remember, he did not finish school or go to any college like we all did !

Quote:

Who cares about a replica cup or some garbage ? INDIA won the world cup, it is not the cup that counts sir, we are the champions, a 2 rupee stone cup would have sufficed. It is only a material gift for the triumph. Why make such a big issue of that ?

Quote:

I am sorry, you are ill informed, there was no duty evasion there. If there was any the car would have been confiscated a long time ago, believe me, I know this. Whatever else you said applies to every so called 'model' in our country who are always either from cricket or from "bolly".

Why are we so pathetic and blame the govt and everyone else for our own problems and thinking ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 23:35   #68
BHPian

Woah! Lots of sentiments in the air on this topic.

I am not a Sachin fan and honestly I do not like him.

From BMW standpoint, I can understand why they took this step. In India to sell you need celebrities. I was talking to my friend in marketing the other day and he pointed out the Coca-Cola had to change their global marketing strategy once they entered India. Apparently, Coca-Cola never used celebrities (on a global front) for marketing, they had to make this change for India.

Please note that before i get crucified, I have not verified this information and i just put this up. I tried doing some research, the finds seems to almost match my friends theory.
Old 31st July 2012, 00:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It is just that I, like many people, feel that he (and other cricketers for that matter) could use his skills in upping the game and helping us win instead of a delivering a World Cup once in 30 years
These cricketers will endorse anything from a pin to a plane! A cricket team captain endorsing an engine oil with a cheesy smile on his face! Now how cool is that!

You may recall the (in)famous 'Sachin Tendulkar' special Fiat Palio in the early 2000s, in the awful yellow colour and his signature on the hood (YUCKS!)That didn't help Fiat from falling into a rut within a year or two.

As for whether I will accept a hypothetical 'endorsement' to supplement my salary - the answer is a clear NO..I am bound by the terms of my employment not to engage in any form of direct or indirect employment or professional services with any organisation or even self-employment. Contravening these company policies can result in dismissal from service.
Sorry, you have your facts wrong sir. We, that is India (don't know where you come from) won two not one, world cups between 1983 and 2011 i.e 28 years. Only other team that has won more is of course Australia. No other team has done this except WI in their peak form. Why can't you accept the fact that India is on a learning curve and we are mighty heavily into advertising and ONLY through these ads that the whole of cricket in the world is running. Me too hates the ads on TV with the "bollies" and the cricketers appearing in alternate ads.

Mod Note: Please stay on-topic and avoid personal comments

Last edited by noopster : 31st July 2012 at 08:18. Reason: Post edited: quoted post has been deleted
Old 31st July 2012, 00:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sorry, you have your facts wrong sir. We, that is India (don't know where you come from) won two not one, world cups between 1983 and 2011 i.e 28 years.
Sigh...this is getting to be utterly boring! You go on and on when you don't seem to get one thing clearly - I am NOT against your hero!! But I would rather see him use his skills and good offices to up the game in the country instead of being a BA! That goes not just for him but the rest of the endorsement crazy cricketers.

Since we want to get exact the next WC will be in 2015 and by then it will 32 years since the 1983 WC win. So make that 2 wins in 32 years.

Why 2 wins in 32 years and not 3? Pessimist that I am about Indian cricket, I don't believe we will win in 2015. I hope to be proved wrong of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why can't you accept the fact that India is on a learning curve
This is hilarious! You think India is still on a learning curve after several decades of playing in International ODIs and Test matches?! Then what are Mr Masterblaster and Co doing endorsing cars and all sorts of products when they should be practicing at the pitch! That's the point I have been trying to make all the time.

Last edited by noopster : 31st July 2012 at 08:19. Reason: Quoted post edited. Please use "report" function to call mod attention to any post
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 01:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Was really surprised to read the comments on this thread.Interesting.

I dont understand why people have a problem with Sachin doing commercials,and making tons of money.Its his choice.Atleast he is making less money than most of our politicians,and the corrupt government is indirectly fleecing you in someway or the other.

I am not a part of Sachin-is-God brigade,have kind of lost interest in cricket,but kudos to him for what he has done.I dont have statistics at the tip of my hands,but chastizing him staying at home and blaming him whenever India loses is kind of stupid.He has been playing for a long time and has won quite a bit for the country.If India doesnt have a young-blood who can take over him,question BCCI and those fat cats who run the selection commity.

Eitherways he is a nice bloke car-wise.He has a Wald-kitted GTR now that looks a bit gaudy.I remember reading an article of him driving the Atom in GB.Was always fond of driving and cars,it didnt feel too surprising when i saw BMW asked him to launch the 3.One legend being revealed by another.Nice touch! They dont really need a sponser,but no harm in getting one.

However no-one can trump Audi+Ravi Shastri.Any company PR guy will donate a limb for a such a brand recall!

Last edited by avishar : 31st July 2012 at 01:54.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 03:02   #72
J.B
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anyway, can someone please post a Youtube link to BMW endorsing Sachin? Or is it the other way around? Anyway, a link to the ad or interview will be helpful!
Thanks!
This is a first drive report by Sachin, I personally think he could have been more candid rather than trying to sound like a reviewer.

If anyone has time, check this video where a HT newsreader gets slapped by Srikanth on questioning Sachin's achievement -

I pity the German marketing manager of BMW who signed Sachin thinking an Indian hero as BA would work in India.

Last edited by noopster : 31st July 2012 at 08:23. Reason: Please stay on-topic. Have deleted off-topic content
J.B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 03:26   #73
J.B
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support to all Newbie members: Please await approval of your post and refrain from repeatedly posting the same content over and over.

Last edited by noopster : 31st July 2012 at 08:06.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

It would have made immense sense for BMW to promote its brand through a celebrity, had they launched cheaper cars (such as 1 series). Those who are able to afford the current BMW models already know the pros and cons of BMW versus its competition.

However, there is another factor. In India, we have plenty of nouveau riche. I remember watching a programme on TV9 (Kannada news channel) where a farmer sold acres and acres of his inherited land to Bangalore International Airport. He had earned so much money that he did not know what to do with it. He spent a fraction of it on a Skoda Superb.

That's just one story. I am sure you'll find plenty such people around Gurgaon, Pune etc. Such people could know nothing about BMW, but plenty about Sachin.

OT: it was funny to see how the farmer was shoving in his whole family into the car, with least respect to the safety aspect. Let's call it ignorance.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:31   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note : Several posts on this thread have been deleted. Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated on Team-BHP. Attack the issue, not the person. Keep it polite, keep it cool.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks