Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 22:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Mazda CX-5 SUV spied testing

Nice scoop em17.

The CX-5 is CR-V territory right? Puzzled what's it doing here. Ford is still a strategic partner for Mazda.

The CX-5 got a mighty 380Nm twin turbo Diesel down under. A good friend got the petrol one there. And its loaded with features.
Old 30th July 2012, 23:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice scoop em17.

The CX-5 is CR-V territory right? Puzzled what's it doing here. Ford is still a strategic partner for Mazda.
Not anymore - at least not since the last 2 years. Ford sold off most of it's stake in Mazda and Mazda is now truly independent of Ford. They still share some platforms/engines but those deals were inked before the sell off.

How do I know? Well, I was involved in the "separation" of their IT systems 2 years back.
chennai-indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 08:49   #18
BHPian

Massive scoop em17! Great job.
Looks like Mazda is gearing up for a debut in the Indian car market. I have always been a fan of the Japanese and my wish list from Mazda would be plain and simply,
MX-5 under the 25L bracket and watch the most affordable as well as reliable convertible car in India fly off the shelves. Be assured of a booking from my side on that one.

Anyways, even the CX-5 seems to be a very interesting proposition. I don't think it's promotion campaign in the UK is going to work very well here in India. They've called it a family SUV that drives like a 'Sports Car'. Load it with features, clever interior packaging and price it right to see results. How come there is no light on Mazda's entry in India? Do they even have a unit? Are they coming in via CKD or they are just starting things of as CBU, top-down strategy?

Moreover Mazda as a brand could never command a sort of premium over the established Europeans or even the likes of Toyota or Honda. Coming in CBU would really be a bad idea IMO.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ahh so another brand is entering the indian market. I am quite happy to see this scoop. But I think the launch will take quite long.

OT: I feel this is a much better way to test cars. Camouflaging attracts eyes while if a car is tested like this, the unaware folks wouldn't even know thhat this is a new car undergoing testing.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:23   #20
BHPian

This Mazda has a regular numberplate and not the red test registration. How do we know that this is a manufacturer test vehicle and not a private import under transfer of residence?
Old 31st July 2012, 11:48   #21
BHPian

Wheel-o-Mania reports that the car will come in collaboration with Maruti

Quote:
Before we could make any speculations our eyes went on to the driver and before we started questioning him about the model, our eyes went on to the identity card which he was wearing and to our surprise it was a Maruti Suzuki card. We asked him several questions to which he replied calmly two cars are on the test run in Gurgaon - One a grey variant and another a black variant which has been imported from Japan as of now, but he says the car will be produced locally in Gurgaon only at Maruti Suzuki plant as both the companies are about to enter into some sort of collaboration.
Source:Breaking & Exclusive - Mazda to launch Compact SUV - CX-5 in India in collaboration with Maruti Suzuki, Spy shots inside ~ Wheel-O-Mania
sarthakgupta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 12:11   #22
BHPian

It could be CX- 3 as well, as it looks too quirky for a bigger car, so a bit of digging lead me to this..
2014 Mazda CX-3
zeemmee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 16:42   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
This Mazda has a regular numberplate and not the red test registration. How do we know that this is a manufacturer test vehicle and not a private import under transfer of residence?
Probably yes, but in that case why the owner should knock off the logo from both ends, and even from the wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Wheel-o-Mania reports that the car will come in collaboration with Maruti
Interesting! And there are news of Fiat and Mazda collaboration as well. Also some alliance to have Alfa Romeo RWD roadsters developed on Mazda MX-5 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
It could be CX- 3 as well, as it looks too quirky for a bigger car, so a bit of digging lead me to this..
The car in OP is indeed the CX-5.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 17:34   #24
BHPian

haha !! nice scoop !! This was near the HUDA gymkhana club. U see that auto in the pic, it was me in it since the number plate was there and no disguise, i thought it was a private vehicle with a missing badge !! And now i find it here !! Great !
Old 31st July 2012, 20:18   #25
BHPian

I always thought small/medium Mazda vehicles would suite India but going CBU way would kill the brand for sure. Mazda cannot ask for premium.
Old 31st July 2012, 20:43   #26
BHPian

Ok Guys.. I wanted to start this thread for sometime, but could not get time.
I have been spotting this same car atleast 3-4 times around IFFCO chowk.

Buttttt for the last 2 times, i have spotted this same car inside the Maruti Plant in Gurgaon.

I also saw some ppl in the R&D dept walking around with what looked like the Mazda logo which came off the front and rear of this car!!

Is Maruti thinking of rebadging this car as a Maruti in India??? or are they doing some competition case study?

Edit: Just saw Sarthakgupta's post above, now the spotting inside MSIL makes more sense

Last edited by revved_up : 31st July 2012 at 20:45.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:41   #27
BHPian

One significant information from Wikipedia article on Mazda Cx-5,

"The Japan domestic market CX-5 achieved monthly sales 8 times higher than forecast right after its launch in February 2012, with the "clean diesel" (as it is referred to in Japan) model accounting for 73% of these."

Source: Mazda CX-5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Original Article Mazda CX-5 "Clean Diesel" Reverses Diesel's Decline in Japan | Integrity Exports

This shows it is really a competent product and has good potential in Indian market also.

To realize this potential, prizing is also important, therefore should be launched at least as a CKD if not manufactured locally.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 31st July 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Adding original article source.
Old 1st August 2012, 09:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Buttttt for the last 2 times, i have spotted this same car inside the Maruti Plant in Gurgaon.
And I can see only one reason for that - The CX-5 comes with either a 163bhp, 2.0-litre petrol or a 2.2-litre diesel (148bhp or 173bhp).

Quote:
The diesel is a peach. It's remarkably smooth and quiet, and, if you want, you can take it beyond 5,000rpm and it won't get all shouty. But there's no need, because, as with all diesels, the good stuff happens from 1,500 to 3,500rpm. And 148bhp is all you need, tugging the CX-5 along without apparent effort.
Source - http://www.topgear.com/uk/mazda/cx-5/road-test/driven

I guess Maruti might be looking at an agreement with Mazda, which gives the diesel engines to their range - and inturn giving an assembly line/ easy entry for Mazda. A 2.2L diesel is just what they need right now - to make winners out of Kizashi/ Vitara.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st August 2012 at 09:11.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

ACI have confirmed that Mazda is eyeing Indian entry, but, it refers to same sightings as @em17 has put up. This can put all the rumor mills & nay-sayers at bay for some time.

Mazda eyeing India entry | News | Autocar India
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:19   #30
BHPian

I too spotted this in Gurgaon on Tuesday. I was curious as it didn't have any badges but had a proper registration number. It was driven by a young guy. I guess he spotted T-bhp stickers on my car and stopped his vehicle after taking the right turn from IFFCO chowk. I noticed from the rear view that he waited for some time and then took a left near the Airtel building.

I did manage to click a pic when I was right behind him at the traffic signal.

Scoop: Mazda CX-5 SUV spied testing-img00492201207311832.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks