Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 09:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: *Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo- Update: now confirmed!

I was never a fan of VW Polo. This move by VW is not surprising at all. Now, I am wondering what would happen to Fabia 1.6. This Skoda is well built and better handler than the Polo.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 09:34   #17
BHPian

re: *Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo- Update: now confirmed!

There was very little demand for the Polo 1.6 in the South, especially North Kerala. Customers were not receptive to the fact that a more powerful petrol Polo was priced closed to a full option diesel Polo. It did relatively better numbers in places like Kochi bacause of the sizeable enthusiast scene there.

Now if only Volkswagen decides to launch the full-blown Polo GTi in India....

Last edited by coloneljasi : 6th August 2012 at 09:36.
Old 6th August 2012, 09:39   #18
BHPian

If at all VW are planning to get another petrol motor for the Polo, I think it will be the 1.2 TSI to take advantage of the excise benefits. They can even use the same engine in two states of tune and replace the current 1.2 3-cylinder as well. That will provide greater economies of scale and may help to offset the incremental price of the costlier TSI engine.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:45   #19
BHPian

How much will they save by stopping this model?
Were they wasting an entire assembly line for this? I guess not. What if this car sold only 100 units per month? I sure did sell. I have seen more Polo 1.6s than Kizashis.
So why axe the model? I do not understand.
The Fiesta 1.6S, Baleno, Lancer, the civic, what next?

I guess we will all groan for a few years, and maybe 2 years later we would have all known nothing other than the diesel clatter.
Petrol engines are going the dinosaur way
Old 6th August 2012, 10:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The steering in the Polo lacks feel, which is not VW'ish at all if you have driven the one sold in Europe. Its a good chassis with good dynamics, but that lifeless EPS and the not so exciting 1.6 motor in the Indian VW takes away all the fun and it cannot be a petrolheads love machine!

I am glad VW stopped it!
That is true.

But I'd still say its one of the better steering-wheels around. Apart from the Punto and Figo, there are few cars that give you a good steering with feedback - under 10 lakhs. It's quite a direct steering and weighs up well. In comparison, steering-wheels in other cars like the Jazz and i20 are completely lifeless. They're either too light and don't weight up, or vague at times, or twitchy, or just plain boring.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No offence to anyone - but IMO that tag is misleading. I dont think Polo 1.6 was such a big enthusiast's car. VW's stonking 1.6 diesel would have been a different story. Anyways, to each his own.
I agree. A lot of people I know bracket the Polo 1.6 with the old favourite the Palio 1.6 in terms of enthusiast cars. They could not be more mistaken. It's a nice enough engine but not a monster by any means. As has been repeatedly stated by many on the forums, the 1.6TDI leaves it choking in the dust.

Suhaas- drive my car sometime. It's smooth, planted and rock solid but the engine is not a stonker by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Did Volkswagen call the 1.6 variant as "MPI" as defined in the title? Afaik it was Skoda who used the Mpi for its fabia/rapid 1.6 engines.
Yes they did. There is no MPI badging on any of the VWs (unlike the Skodas, as you rightly point out) but I checked my RC card and it clearly says 1.6MPI in the description.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2012 at 13:45. Reason: Quoted post deleted
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 12:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That is true.

But I'd still say its one of the better steering-wheels around. Apart from the Punto and Figo, there are few cars that give you a good steering with feedback - under 10 lakhs. It's quite a direct steering and weighs up well. In comparison, steering-wheels in other cars like the Jazz and i20 are completely lifeless. They're either too light and don't weight up, or vague at times, or twitchy, or just plain boring.
You could argue that comparing to lifeless cars like the Jazz and the Hyundais, but not when you compare it to an enthusiast's machine from the stable of Ford & Fiat!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 13:38   #23
BHPian

Polo 1.6 was one competent all rounder with a powerful engine. It maynot be the most involving car ever sold but definitely among the FTD petrol hatches around keeping in mind the underpowered hatches we have as option in the market. It is reasonably fuel efficient and not much different from 1.2 version. With the engine doing duty in Vento, they should have continued it in Polo. That's the differentiator.
Bringing on TSI is pointless as sophisticated petrol hatches don't have much preference in the market.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:52   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm extremely surprised by this move. VW uses the 1.6L petrol in the mechanically-identical Vento. Thus, it cost them absolutely zilch to offer that "additional" variant for someone wanting a 100+ BHP Polo.

I think there's more to it than meets the eye. One possible reason could be the same as why Ford won't launch the Figo 1.6 (nearly identical to the Fiesta 1.6). A powerful hatchback can give the car's nameplate a "gas guzzling" image.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 13:57   #25
BHPian

It might have more to do with the impending launch of Golf 7 along with complete overhaul of engine lineup. VW EA211 petrols and EA288 diesels are going to replace all of the current engine lineup. As VW engines are imported in India and with such low sales numbers it will not be feasible for them to continue these engines solely for India.
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 14:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm extremely surprised by this move. VW uses the 1.6L petrol in the mechanically-identical Vento. Thus, it cost them absolutely zilch to offer that "additional" variant for someone wanting a 100+ BHP Polo.

I think there's more to it than meets the eye. One possible reason could be the same as why Ford won't launch the Figo 1.6 (nearly identical to the Fiesta 1.6). A powerful hatchback can give the car's nameplate a "gas guzzling" image.
Exactly my thoughts , if you can plonk the 1.6 ltr engine onto the Polo frame , why discontinue it ? I feel that VW maybe discontinuing the 1.6 ltr petrol range altogether for Polo and Vento and would operate only with 1.2 ltr and 1.4 ltr TSI variants under various states of tunes and gun for mileage
Old 6th August 2012, 14:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
You could argue that comparing to lifeless cars like the Jazz and the Hyundais, but not when you compare it to an enthusiast's machine from the stable of Ford & Fiat!
How does one describe an enthusiast's car?

- Great engine
- Sorted dynamics
- A steering with good feel
- Positive gearbox
- Excellent driving-position
- Appeal

Now there is no one car in the 10 lakh bracket that ticks all these boxes with the exception of the Ford Fiesta 1.6S.

The other cars that could be remotely considered as an 'enthusiasts' car is the Punto MJD (90+), the Swift and I would argue that the Polo 1.6 is too.

Like I'd mentioned before, it isn't unbelievably powerful. Nor does the steering have 'feel' (it's still better than other cars in that price-bracket). But it does tick every other box. In the same way the Punto and Swift do. One has a better steering, while the other has a better gearbox. (Punto and Polo)

EDIT: When I'm referring to the Polo here, I also mean the Fabia (it's pretty much the same car)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th August 2012 at 14:09.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Ok, now this is beginning to give me jitters and one reason I hate eurpoeans for. They bring in something appealing to the budget-conscious petrolhead community (that is gradually being driven to extinction on one corner - thanks to the Indian govt) and then "kill" it. Something like what FIAT did with the Palio.

Whatever be the intent behind this move, I wish they understood that there are a handful out there who prefer a 4-pot 1.6 to a measly 3-pot 1.2. And if this is going to be replaced by a 1.2TSI or 1.4TSI, who's going to pay 10lakhs for a petrol hatchback?? It will be another dud like the old Fabia which was launched in the market as the most expensive Fabia ~9lakhs I guess!

All said and done, if VW does this to the Polo, the Fabia won't be left behind either. The good news is that they share engines with the Vento or Rapid which seem to be still existent.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 14:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move I would say. The Polo 1.6 would barely qualifies as an enthusiast's car. Remember when Fiat brought the Palio 1.6 to our market, no C segment sedan barring the Honda City made so much power. THe technology also was far superior to what the competition offerred. THis is what made it oh so desirable. The Polo 1.6 hardly evokes the same reactions.

Really wish they bring in their brilliant TSI engines across the range. Though pricing it competitive would be a challenge.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:49   #30
BANNED

I was trying to post this when the power went out.

I thought the 16.6 was a prelude to the AT, which never came. Then the 1.6 became an anachronism. So it had to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks