Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 13:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City CNG to be launched in October 2012. EDIT : Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Not sure if anybody noticed it or not But

Honda is Offering a 24 months / 40000 Km's Standard warranty . IMO this is the lowest in the segment or does it shows the confidence Honda has in it;s CNG kit's ?.
That is the standard Honda warranty and on the CNG variant it's extendable by an additional 2 years / 40k kms at the same cost as the regular petrol model, according to the faq on their website.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 19:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda gearing up for CNG. City CNG to be launched in October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@CARDEEP; A swallow does not make summer. He may be happy but then ....

Any fitment which emasculates a beautiful engine like the iVTEC will not meet my approval. I would have been less critical if it was LPG and not CNG - 10% power loss vs 25-30%. I have a close relative whose boss has had a CNG Civic for at least a year, cheap to run but not exactly on the top of the world.

I guess the fitment would have been optimised and calibrated at the factory so the chances of a dealer messing up big time are minimal.
Happy Vijayadashmi Sir

I was in the same boat some time back. But, after someone in my family circle who runs a taxi service in NCR proved me incorrect, with his various taxis running fine on CNG. Regarding the power loss I agree it is there, but not as high as 25%, probably it used to be a cause of concern in past with various so called duplicate kits, but not these days with the sequential kits where many have confirmed that it is negligible. The more powerful cars, the lesser if the lesser is the power loss. So probably you would find difficult locating a CNG vending pump in your city, but, your Civic would not take time looking for gears even in CNG mode. Even my usage over 25K kms has proved my older perceptions incorrect.

Coming back to the car (Honda City), ACI & other mags' report clearly state that the suspension has been calibrated for the extra weight & Honda is claiming that the engine is slightly modified one.

Another drawback which one of the forum members has pointed out is the time spent at filling stations. I do not know where this gentleman lives in NCR, but I refill from pumps well inside Delhi/ Faridabad rather than nearer to the border, where there are multiple cars travelling in/ out causing longer queues at the CNG filling station. Till date I haven't spent more than 10 minutes (billing included) at any CNG station.

At the end, regarding your swallow proverb, even Benz Wagon ushered an era of petrol based fuels when the whole world was going gaga for steam engines. I bet once you get a est drive of a good CNG-ed car you will also be convinced.
Old 24th October 2012, 19:27   #78
BHPian

Will the dealers modiy existing cars? I have a three year old iVTEC and would like to get it CNGed at the dealer. Any pointers?
Old 25th October 2012, 21:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Will the dealers modiy existing cars? I have a three year old iVTEC and would like to get it CNGed at the dealer. Any pointers?
my thoughts exactly!! is Honda going to allow (or rather, how do they stop) dealers from fitting these kits on older cars? for that matter on other variants (EMTs and SMTs) or for that matter other models (read jazz/civic)
i vividly recollect my first service experience at Automax Honda-Mayapuri, when I was at delhi. the sales rep asked me if i wanted to get a dealer recommended CNG conversion done? on queries regarding the warranty part, he simply quipped'sir humse karvaoge to sab dekh lenge'.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
my thoughts exactly!! is Honda going to allow (or rather, how do they stop) dealers from fitting these kits on older cars? for that matter on other variants (EMTs and SMTs) or for that matter other models (read jazz/civic)
i vividly recollect my first service experience at Automax Honda-Mayapuri, when I was at delhi. the sales rep asked me if i wanted to get a dealer recommended CNG conversion done? on queries regarding the warranty part, he simply quipped'sir humse karvaoge to sab dekh lenge'.
Just Read this article
"The customer will have to pay an additional Rs 53,000 to Rs 54,000 for the CNG kit and installation charges at the dealers end. "

"To deliver good performance, the modified grade of the City has an optimized 1.5L, 4 cylinder i-VTEC engine and the suspension has been modified to adjust the additional weight of the CNG cylinder to offer similar driving experience as that of the petrol City"

I if the dealer is taking the responsibility and warrenty of the CNG kit including the redoing the suspension work i think probably we could see a good number of conversion happening here.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16929166.cms
Old 26th October 2012, 11:56   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Honda City CNG would really make sense in places in around Delhi. Personally, I would have preferred a Maruti like CNG treatment, however its a step in the right direction for Honda in India. I have the same question about the fitting in older Honda city?

Anyone who is using the NEW City with CNG sequential kit, please provide your feedback?
Old 26th October 2012, 12:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
"To deliver good performance, the modified grade of the City has an optimized 1.5L, 4 cylinder i-VTEC engine and the suspension has been modified to adjust the additional weight of the CNG cylinder to offer similar driving experience as that of the petrol City"
somehow not able to connect.
They say that the suspension and the engine has been 'optimized' or rather tuned for taking the CNG. But then, how will they know that this particular car they are going to ship to the user, is going to get CNG installed at the dealer?
Or does this mean that, when the customer books a VMT, he will say that he wants a CNG enabled one and Honda ships that particular car to the dealer for him.
Even in this case, what if the owner later chose not to install the CNG on a CNG ready car. Performance, balance, safety everything will go for a toss no?
Old 26th October 2012, 12:39   #83
BHPian

What I have understood is that Honda will pre-install the CNG components in the engine, beef up suspension, and ship the car. The dealer will install the cylinder and few other components. I guess this is to optimise the excise duty outflow. This version has a higher cost than the non CNG enabled version. I guess the dealer will not sell this version unless customer is getting CNG installed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
somehow not able to connect.
They say that the suspension and the engine has been 'optimized' or rather tuned for taking the CNG. But then, how will they know that this particular car they are going to ship to the user, is going to get CNG installed at the dealer?
Or does this mean that, when the customer books a VMT, he will say that he wants a CNG enabled one and Honda ships that particular car to the dealer for him.
Even in this case, what if the owner later chose not to install the CNG on a CNG ready car. Performance, balance, safety everything will go for a toss no?
Old 26th October 2012, 12:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I if the dealer is taking the responsibility and warrenty of the CNG kit including the redoing the suspension work i think probably we could see a good number of conversion happening here.
As far as I understand it, the company will do the engine/suspension tuning in the factory and the dealer will fit the kit. The warranty will be from Honda, not the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Exactly, you tell the dealership of your CNG intentions at the time of booking, then the car comes from the factory with those changes.

I'm not sure what will happen if the customer changes his/her mind. i guess the dealer will get saddled with a CNG car in the stockyard.

What I fail to understand is why this option isn't available on other variants?
Old 26th October 2012, 14:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

Just learnt from a dealer it is a VTEC and not an iVTEC!
Old 30th October 2012, 01:59   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just learnt from a dealer it is a VTEC and not an iVTEC!
According to the website at http://www.hondacarindia.com/City/specifications.html all the variants are iVTEC and fitting a CNG costs Rs. 65,000 extra (excluding taxes).
IndianGuardian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 09:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Well then the Sales Manager of the dealer is ill informed. I am meeting him today or tomorrow, and will enlighten him.
Old 30th October 2012, 09:45   #88
BHPian

I heard that this CNG move was majorly for Gujarat where CNG has been made mandatory.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

Honda site has been updated with the FAQ section on the CNG.
Most of our questions are answered here;
http://www.hondacarindia.com/City/FAQs.html

Big question on whether CNG fitting is possible in existing models, Honda's answer is a NO.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avikamail View Post
I heard that this CNG move was majorly for Gujarat where CNG has been made mandatory.
For once I think NM has gone bonkers. How will they get CNG for cars when they are not being permitted to even expand the network in homes? Maybe he has a sweetheart deal with Mukesh!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks