Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 19:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

VW's numbers are disappointing. Renault seems to be the manufacturer to look out for,when they launched the Pulse,Fluence and Koleos we hardly ever discussed the brand here. I doubt if the general public was even aware of a brand called Renault.

Now, they're all set to overtake VW if the Scala achieves the same level of success as the Duster. Sheer brilliance i say !

VW needs to wake up from its slumber and price their cars more sensibly (esp Polo) 3 cyl engines with 50% equipment when compared to competitors and was one of the most expensive hatchbacks in the segment. Good to see Mr. Arvind putting some sense into the existing management and making progressive corrections.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup interesting move by VW to slash prices on its Vento sedan. Off late they must have put off a lot of customers by increasing prices in really short spans of time.

Great to see Renault suddenly emerge as a formidable player in the market. Just in the beginning of this month we were all labelling it as flawed car-maker who failed to understand the dynamics of the Indian market after they ended up killing there own products by pricing them too high.

Now I wanted to do an analysis but unable to find time. So if any of you are interested then do try and analyse as to where are all those numbers being siphoned off and contributing to the XUV/Ertiga/Duster sales ( and soon to be launched Evalia too hopefully). Earlier we were off the opinion that it would hurt the Scorpio and Innova. But from what I can see those 2 vehicles are selling as before, if not better. So where are all those customers coming from? In this month alone, the Duster sold 3200 units, Ertiga 6600 and XUV 4000 units respectively. Thats a combine figure of close to 15k units. But I don't see any sedan/UV/MUV suffering that badly to give these 3 those numbers. I am assuming that the total number of customers in the market, looking out for an SUV/MUV, would not have increased so exponentially overnight. So how does one explain that figure of 15k units?

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th September 2012 at 19:06.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:05   #18
BHPian

GM ignored one of the two USPs of Cruze that made it a market hit: its engine and the VFM proposition. Concentrated on the former but totally forgot about the latter.
The VFM gauntlet has now been picked up Elantra in that segment and that's showing in the numbers.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
August 2012 Sales Analysis

If Maruti sneezes, the entire auto industry catches a cold. It’s unfortunate that worker issues at Manesar resurfaced, hitting Maruti’s volumes very hard. This episode resulted in the industry recording its lowest ever cumulative sales in over 2 years @ 171,668 units. Despite that, and the subdued market sentiment, 4 manufacturers had a reasonably good August 2012.

Thanks for the report GTO & Co. Awesome as always!!!

Quote:
Chevrolet also has only the Beat (diesel) making its cash registers ring.
Not sure how long Spark sales would continue to limp the way it is.

Quote:
Maruti recently let word out that it intends to focus on “bigger cars”. Well, ZERO customers for the overpriced Grand Vitara & Kizashi ought to have woken someone up.
I presume one would hardly notice if Grand Vitara, Kizashi and Beetle are lifted off from the market. Might as well help Volkswagen if they can re-strategize Beetle for India.

Estilo - S T Low? Sales Too Low. Maruti Suzuki doing a “Spark” here and very fast indeed.

Quote:
…proof that Tata’s brand & marketing work against it.
Not sure what plans Tata has for Aria. I haven't seen / read any nor have I seen many Arias on road.

Quote:
Renault overtakes Nissan & Skoda, both, and has VW firmly in its sight.
Micra still continues to record significantly more sales than its cousin Pulse. Among various reasons why Pulse came to the market, one was hinting towards making it less feminine unlike Micra. The plan doesn't seem to be working though.

I somehow feel that the Auto Industry will have some testing times ahead , at least in the near future!

Thanks,
C_
Old 4th September 2012, 19:40   #20
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2012 at 13:07.
jkumar007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2012, 19:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excellent analysis as usual GTO! Hyundai seems have gained the most from Maruthi's woes. Skoda's woes are unsurprising considering the flack they have been getting.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Has the Figo sales increased due to the MSIL shut down? Cant think of anything else for the sudden spurt in sales.

August was one month were I noticed a lot of newly registered cars in my area. The series that was going on was KA-O3-MQ-xxxx and I saw a lot of these registrations leading me to think sales of cars have actually increased. Noticed a lot of Innovas and City's too.

I wonder why the Accent is still being manufactured. The sales are low and it is an outdated car. Santro , I have no idea how the numbers are decent still.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:22   #23
BHPian

Thanks GTO sir for our monthly dose.

What happened to Alto? I am unable to comprehend any reason for its sudden fall since Gurgaon plant was running smoothly. Is it the news that new Alto 800 launch is just round the corner?
Old 4th September 2012, 20:23   #24
BHPian

A great month for Renault Duster. Like somebody said, a well priced SUV can do wonders in the current market.
Elantra: I, for one, would like to wait and watch for the future sales before commenting.
6000+ Omnis and Eecos, 8000+Boleros : Utility segment continues to be on fire. Wonder what would happen if MUL decides to add a bit more spice(better safety and interiors) to the Omni. 10000+ per month?
Fiat India : What is happening? The combined sales of Punto and Linea barely crosses the sales of a PETROL ONLY Honda Jazz. Another 'petrol only' Brio is miles ahead of the total sales of the Fiat siblings. 50% drop in Linea and 36% drop in Punto is quite alarming. After effect of the JV breakup??
Old 4th September 2012, 20:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Now I wanted to do an analysis but unable to find time. So if any of you are interested then do try and analyse as to where are all those numbers being siphoned off and contributing to the XUV/Ertiga/Duster sales ( and soon to be launched Evalia too hopefully). Earlier we were off the opinion that it would hurt the Scorpio and Innova. But from what I can see those 2 vehicles are selling as before, if not better. So where are all those customers coming from? In this month alone, the Duster sold 3200 units, Ertiga 6600 and XUV 4000 units respectively. Thats a combine figure of close to 15k units. But I don't see any sedan/UV/MUV suffering that badly to give these 3 those numbers. I am assuming that the total number of customers in the market, looking out for an SUV/MUV, would not have increased so exponentially overnight. So how does one explain that figure of 15k units?
My wild guess would be that these are folks who already have had some four wheeler in a lower segment and after a few years are upgrading to new ones. And as aspirational values increase they are upgrading to SUVs and MUVs. My 2 paisa thoughts . Given the money I would also like to go for an SUV as my upgrade rather than going to a higher segment sedan.

Ertiga is shear value for money for a mid sized family which does not want to plonk their money in high value MUVs.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:29   #26
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the much awaited thread!

Sad to see the numbers tumbling down for petrol cars across segments.
Looks like dieselization is here to stay.
Interesting to see how games go wrong way, if Honda is dying for lack of diesel engines, Fiat is dying all the while supplying engines to competitors (and with very nice cars)!

Shocking to see Alto's numbers, does Maruti want Alto too to have a wait list?! Looks like aam-aadmi is not interested in cars! (To note, Bajaj & Hero MotoCorp have also reported lesser sales).
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 21:02   #27
BHPian

I am interested to know the number JLR did. How many Jaguars were sold? And how many Rovers were sold?
Old 4th September 2012, 21:57   #28
BHPian

Feel bad for Maruti and not seeing Swift in top 20 - unbelievable! Ford should have introduced a special edition Figo to swipe away the Swift customers.

I think Tata is completely missing the UV game. Aria is a sitting duck and they fully messed up Safari. :(
Old 4th September 2012, 22:02   #29
BHPian

I think that Renault duster will continue to do well in the coming months and will inlfluence largely the sale of Mahindra.In a long run it will also influence sale of diesel sedans.
Old 4th September 2012, 22:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault's rise is the highlight of August sales figures. It would be really interesting to see how Renault performs in the coming months. Commendable performance in spite of the wafer thin dealer network.

FIAT is in trouble,unless they do something drastic, seems to be a write off. Chevrolet seems to just have some volumes with the BEAT, banking on the forthcoming launches for having some volumes.
Skoda seems to be a big loser. Surprise to see the Rapid volumes.

VW's recent price slash need to seen if it translates to volumes in the coming months. Need launches like the Polo TSI or the 1.4 TDI to excite the market.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th September 2012 at 22:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks