Team-BHP - Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/127890-scoop-vw-polo-tsi-spotted-testing-india-update-fresh-scoop-pics-pg-15-a-2.html)

Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India. VW is rationalising its engine line-up towards 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrols and 1.6 and 2.0 TDi as diesels and offering only these engines on all MQB based VW cars (Polo to Passat including Tiguan).

The discontinuation has begun (1.6 MPI in Polo) and will get accelerated with end of production of Mk 6 Golf by December 2012.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India. Vw is rationalising its engine line-up towards 1.2 and 1.4 TSI petrols and 1.6 and 2.0 TDi as diesels and offering only these engines on all MQB based VW cars (Polo to Passat including Tiguan).

The discontinuation has begun (1.6 MPI in Polo) and will get accelerated with end of production of Mk 6 Golf by December 2012.

True but I think VW India has enough MPI Polos in the stockyards until the 2014 when the next gen Polo is expected.:D
I think VW will choose to discontinue the petrol variant altogether rather than investing in a new engine at this point of the Polo's lifecycle.

As somebody else mentioned,its most likely that they are just testing the engine for the next gen Polo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINI (Post 2935606)
True but I think VW India has enough MPI Polos in the stockyards until the 2014 when the next gen Polo is expected.

Also do not forget that this is the same engine used in the Vento's (Petrol). Inventory of the Vento's too needto be considered.
So 2014 could be a more realistic date for the upgrades of engines to TSI or Polo 1.4/1.5 TDI.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarthakgupta (Post 2935538)
Upgradation of Indian Polo to this engine is more of a necessity since the MPI engines are soon to be discontinued from VW European (except Russia) line-up, from where VW imports engines for India.

Indeed. This 1.2 TSI is the global replacement for the old 1.6 petrol. In most of the markets, this is the default engine for the Polo (and even entry level Golf/Jetta). But again, being a petrol I don’t expect this to set the sales chart on fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINI (Post 2935606)
I think VW will choose to discontinue the petrol variant altogether rather than investing in a new engine at this point of the Polo's lifecycle.

I do not believe there would be any major investment of time or money for VW India to bring the 1.2 TSI here. The combination of this engine with the Polo is so well proven all over the world. At most, VW may have do do some fuel quality compatibility testing and homologation. Since VW would have gone through the same steps prior to the recent 1.4 TSI introduction in the Jetta, VW probably knows this process well.

VW needs some quick, big moves to increase its presence and share in India. Although they have given us the latest and greatest models worldwide here in India, they have fallen short when it comes to power trains. For instance the Polo Mark V was introduced in India before it even hit Europe. If VW can bring the 1.2 TSI on the Polo and 1.4 TSI on the Vento, they can revive the Petrol sales a bit. In addition, if they gave us the 1.6 TDI engine from the Vento on the Polo, wow, that would be sweet!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitg79 (Post 2935440)

Btw, in the spy pic, is that 'GT' labeling I see on the left side? I ask because the Polo GT in the UK has a 140 bhp 1.4 TSI.

Yeah it looks like they will sell the 1.2 TSI as a 'GT' version here in India. All the hot hatches here in India have a singular criteria - it has to be above 100 BHP!! who gives two hoots about international markets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon (Post 2935726)
If VW can bring the 1.2 TSI on the Polo and 1.4 TSI on the Vento, they can revive the Petrol sales a bit.

Agree with this. I do not believe that all the petrol heads have shifted to diesel owing to petrol prices. I have driven the Vento TDI, and really didn't enjoy driving it. Maybe because am used to petrols only, and also because my usage doesn't really justify diesels. I still think there are umpteen number of Indians who prefer a petrol engine over diesels as their only car. I for one, would consider a Vento 1.4 TSI if they really bring it here.

IMO, Honda City is still the best car in the segment, simply because of the awesome iVTEC petrol engine. And possibly quite a few friends owning diesels would agree with me as well. :)

Nice scoop ! Thanks.
I wonder why VW engineers would test a product with a prominent "TSI" and "GT" logo. Unless, we are looking at an imminent launch (considering the 1.6 being withdrawn) ? :)

Something i heard from a source long time back and saw the image today
(though i cant be sure!)
-Its a separate product; POLO GT 1.2 TSI
-Production in Calendar week 46 this year
-Expect new alloys and jet black interior

Had too much time to kill.

On 28th Sept, bhp-ian Nikhil Mohandas had snapped a silver polo with taped badges.
Here is a close up of the taped badges and the scoop shot of the black Polo GT snapped by Overdrive.

A visual comparison suggests that the dimensions on the tape cover the 'GT' and 'TSI' badges. For all the current VWs, the left has a big 'Volkswagen' badge and that would not be covered by such a small tape.

Another question is if VW was just testing the engine, would they have elaborate GT and TSI labeling on the car?

Please note that this is just hopeful speculation rather than anything else. please:

As per Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar, Polo 1.2 TSI is coming next year & it will also be offered with a 7 speed DSG!

Isn't the 7 speed box the one that had issues all along? 6 speed is more reliable from what i have read.

The Polo 1.2 TSI report from Malaysia - looks like the same car

http://paultan.org/2010/10/18/volksw...t-impressions/

http://my.volkswagen.com/vwcms/maste...ical_data.html

Incidentally - it is priced equivalent to 20lakh INR :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPS (Post 2943733)
As per Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar, Polo 1.2 TSI is coming next year & it will also be offered with a 7 speed DSG!

Isn't the 7 speed box the one that had issues all along? 6 speed is more reliable from what i have read.

@PPS Not sure of your source. I searched and the closest I came to was http://http://www.autocarindia.com/N...est-drive.aspx. But this does not talk of 1.2 TSI with 7 speed DSG launch.

Could you point us towards the source?

Cheers,

Polo GT in India will be with 7-Speed DSG. this 7 speed DSG has gone through 2 revisions after the failures were reported. current generation is very well stable and is used with the engines generating < 250NM torque.

7 speed DSG for a mid range hatch sounds too far fetched in India.
I bet VW will not offer DSG 7 speed auto for Polo.