Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2012, 00:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra buying Aston Martin? EDIT : Investindustrial is the new owner!

Yep, you heard it right.

Financial news site Bloomberg are saying that Mahindra & Mahindra are among the potential suitors looking into buying a controlling stake at Aston Martin.

- Investment Dar Co the Kuwaiti company, which owns 64 percent of Gaydon, U.K. based Aston Martin, has hired Rothschild to advise on the sale of its stake.

- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (MM), the Indian automaker, is among potential suitors Investment Dar has approached in recent few months, two of the people said.

- Sale has proven difficult because investors haven’t been willing to match the price the Kuwaiti owner paid five years ago, said two of the people. Investment Dar has sought about $800 million for its stake.

- Toyota hired an auditor to conduct a one-week study on buying a stake in Aston Martin. The analysis, which was preliminary and carried out less than two months ago, hasn’t advanced to a full-blown evaluation.

source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-carmaker.html
shortbread is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 00:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra buying Aston Martin? EDIT : Investindustrial is the new owner!

Reading the title was enough to draw to this thread.

Simply astounding! As an Indian I be proud to see Indian companies being at the helm of such respected companies.

Looking at what Tata Motors have been able to do and achieve with JLR, turning it into a profit, could very well assume such act from M & M.

Hope to hear a positive outcome.
Old 10th November 2012, 00:57   #3
BHPian

I am sorry if i break the ice.
But, the article does not clearly mentioned that M & M is going to buy a stake in the company. Nor, it was mentioned Mahindra is interested to but the stake, which is contradictory to this thread's title.
Its just says that M & M has been approached and nothing was mentioned about the talks ongoing.

On a different note, I really wish M & M buys out majority stake in Aston Martin.
Koenigsegg220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 01:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think M&M have been looking out to buy a big brand after they lost the JLR deal to Tata & Aston Martin should make them even in some sense.

Let's hope that they do consider it seriously & are successful in getting this deal
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 02:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressive intentions, I wish them luck. Nothing feels better than seeing India take over the best international businesses the world over.
I hope they make a wise bid and turn the company around like Tata did with JLR, rather than just follow in Tata's foot steps.
Old 10th November 2012, 02:52   #6
BHPian

Man, I was about to fall asleep and I thought, I ll just have a quick pre-sleep peek at T-BHP. Having seen your thread title, I lost my sleep. If M & M can actually get the controlling stake in Aston Martin then it should be a phenomenal and historical event for the Indian Automotive Industry !!
Old 10th November 2012, 04:14   #7
BHPian

Tata would be a better option and have expressed an interest in Aston. Aston are also literally neighbours to Land Rover at Gaydon
Tstag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 06:28   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

All I can say is Wow! It is indeed phenomenal to see Indian companies go all out on the International arena. Especially in the realm of marques such as these! Either Tata or Mahindra would be good for Aston. At least if nothing else these brands will be supported and looked after for the future generations. Mystical marques like these must be preserved for posterity!
Old 10th November 2012, 09:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is an amazing news, just the thought of it is enough to get everyone stand up and take notice. I wish them luck in getting one of the premium brands and make it profitable.

This speaks volumes about Indian economy as a whole, and business acumen of Indian business leaders and managers.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

If and when Mahindra acquires this, we can see our desi Bonds driving them in Bolly movies

On a serious note, it would be fantastic to see Mahindra buy this and then turn it around like Tatas. Looks like Mahindra wants to do whatever Tatas do and do it better.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 09:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

What do they gain out of the acquisition ? Mahindra is mainly into trucks or SUVs and they are planning to acquire a luxury car brand. Is it diversification ?

Last edited by F150 : 10th November 2012 at 09:48.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This is good news. I seriously hope that they are able to buy a controlling stake in AM. Mahindra's have spread their wings everywhere except the super car arena. This should do wonders to their brand value.

Some Joke time now

Joke 1 - Aston Martin Vanquish by Mahindra
Joke 2 - Aston Martin Launches a new Diesel Super Sports powered by 545 BHP MHawk engine
Joke 3 - All bond movies would now have TATA vehicles (Land Rovers) which are used by Villians and Hero uses a Mahindra (AM)
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 10:03   #13
BHPian

Great news indeed. But Mahindra and Mahindra has not confirmed this development. Going by the history, this time Mahindra and Mahindra should succeed.

Their first attempt to takeover a company (JLR) to Tata Motors. But succeed in their bid and taken over Ssangyong. Again lost third bid to take over SAAB. So the turn wise Mahindra should get success here.

I know I am superstitious but I want to see this happen so I have become superstitious atleast for now.

But the big question is, whether the news is true or not. I think Toyota could be the winner. Beacuse they are already engaged in product development exercise.
Old 10th November 2012, 10:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Time for Aston Martin SUVs?! Wow!
Old 10th November 2012, 10:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Time for Aston Martin SUVs?! Wow!
Well, Mahindra's Walrus tooth won't be a misfit here
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra buying Aston Martin? EDIT : Investindustrial is the new owner!-lagonda630.jpg  

amtak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks