Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 02:04   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123
Interesting to see that no car(sedan/hatch) seems to have won favor with Tbhpians this year. Only SUV & MUV (Duster/ Ertiga) holding 80% of the votes at this point of time.
TJ, I guess just an overall sign of things to come and a clear harbinger of where the Indian automotive market is headed in the years ahead. We're slowly going the US's way: becoming more and more UV obsessed!
Old 7th December 2012, 06:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

After a deep thought, I voted for Duster.
Like most of us, I was also stuck between Duster and Ertiga. What won Duster was the proven platform (although Ertiga's platform isn't bad either), butch looks, SUV-like ground clearance that is more suitable for our roads that go from bad to worse daily (I do not agree that Indian version is SUV). It has opened up a segment that is best suited for India.

I did not like Ertiga for its last row of seats. MSIL might have done it to evade stricter pollution norms or pull people looking for 7 seater, but for me, this is a cheap trick.

Evalia also crossed my mind. But I am yet to see one on road. Let Nissan sort out its distribution problem first.

I would never vote for a sedan. I consider this body style the most impractical. When I am paying so much, why can't I have that space behind the rear windshield and above the boot within the boundaries of my car? I've seen people carrying some large things (such as, bicycles) by keeping the boot open. Why couldn't they buy a station wagon? Oh wait, we have not had one for ages now!
Old 7th December 2012, 07:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ertiga. Both Duster and Ertiga create a new segment (or a new one at a different price point) and are doing well for their respective manufacturers.

Have been hearing some QC issues on Duster lately, and the horrific deliver experience of folks. Renault have got a winner by chance, they should quickly scale to the demand, or risk loosing this early advantage to someone else.

Ertiga, is the new Innova, an economical people mover which is also easy on the pocket when it comes to maintenance.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th December 2012 at 07:15.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 09:09   #79
BANNED

One request to moderators: From the next poll onwards, there should be a time limit for the poll, and the result has to be kept secret until that. If the result is made open from the word GO, there is a huge chance that the participants will follow the most preferred choice.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 09:12   #80
BHPian

Voted for the Duster.
I have a 110 version from the early (Pre-price hike) series.
Its best suited for our scenario:
- Tackles the dirt tracks littered with bomb craters in Bangalore comfortably.
- Decent water wading capability to tackle aforementioned dirt tracks during rains, especially the sudden thundershowers of Bangalore.
- Excellent highway cruiser, capable of a relaxed 120 km/h cruise all day long.
- Equipment on board is sufficient for needs, stops short of the 'gizmo' level.
- Good suspension, good engine, decent interior space & good boot space.
- Very good mix of comfort & handling.

If one were to nit-pick, then the lack of seven-seat capacity & the recent price-hike would cost it a few points, but then amongst the 2012 lot to pick from, the Duster is still way ahead.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 7th December 2012 at 09:14. Reason: syntax error corrected
Old 7th December 2012, 09:13   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Frankly had there been a nice long hatchback station wagon like the Octavia Combi, the Fiat Adventure, Siena Weekend, with a high ground clearance (which is absolutely necessary for our lousy road surfaces) and full safety kit, perhaps 4x4, it would have been a good pick!

Definitely Indians with the typically larger families and propensity to carry a lot of stuff, will tend to find either a sedan with a big boot OR a hatch with cavernous luggage space, a preferred vehicle. Purely from the utility point of view.

While we may love chrome, beige interiors, lots of bling in design etc, a few things that we are unshakeably focussed on are, Status, VFM and overall Utility value.

This is probably why things like the Duster and Ertiga etc seem to be such important contenders for the crown!
Old 7th December 2012, 09:51   #82
BHPian

Looks like the poll is already over!! It's funny to see that, while a clear winner has emerged, Renault's other two offerings are yet to even open their score.
2cents is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 10:23   #83
BHPian

The Duster it is. Reason is simple: It opened new avenues for "Pseudo" SUV s. SUV s have that typical Bling show off factor, which is catered to the T by this car, and that too, at an affordable price. It is similar in the world of SUV s what reliance phones were in the world of mobile phones - Kar lo duniya Muththi mein (the world is in your grasp)
Old 7th December 2012, 10:23   #84
BHPian

I have voted for the Sail-UVA because I personally feel GM has done a good job by bringing a value for money car with the best engine. It just need to market it aggressively.

Duster would be second in my list.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 10:35   #85
Team-BHP Support

I would nearly say Duster but the recent price hikes make me think twice. I voted for the Ertiga as it is another game changer and will sell consistently for a while
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Duster almost for me too, but the recent price hikes have seriously made it 'overpriced' for what's on offer. The base diesel model is ~10L ! Hence, the Ertiga it is for me. It has created a new segment of compact MUV's and I like what Maruti has achieved with this car, including the pricing.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

It has got to be the Duster and that is what I voted for. Even with the price hikes it makes a lot of sense, it has a commanding road presence, a fantastic diesel heart, road clearance that India requires and overall value for money package. Service network is an issue as in my city there is still no sight of a Renault showroom, but that will change soon, hopefully.

Although out of these contenders, I would have liked the Storme to have had a better build quality that 'could' have left the Dusters and the XUVs biting the dust. The Safari brand has such a following. A missed opportunity from Tata same as the Camry has been from Toyota.

Finally on a personal level, the Beemer is the car to beat, still, in the performance and luxury segments...
Old 7th December 2012, 11:17   #88
BHPian

Voted for Eritga !!
Similar to others, the real competition is between Renault Duster and Maruti Ertiga. Ertiga wins because of these (No offense to anyone,strictly personal)
  • First of all its Maruti, so less headache and low maintenance cost
  • High resale value (The reason same as the first point)
  • Excellent space utilization
  • Good driving dynamics
  • Good fuel efficiency
  • Less costlier
On the other hand, Duster has the best ride quality in it's class. But cramped second row, small service network and high price etc. are against this.
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:29   #89
BHPian

A new type of SUV (cheaper being from a trusted manufacturers, high FE) Vs. a new type of MUV (Ditto). In my books Ertiga is the winner for the huge value and practicality it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
One request to moderators: From the next poll onwards, there should be a time limit for the poll, and the result has to be kept secret until that. If the result is made open from the word GO, there is a huge chance that the participants will follow the most preferred choice.
+1. , mods
CoolFire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:48   #90
BHPian

Duster it is for me. It has definitely created a new segment and offered a VFM proposition to those who are looking for smallish SUV's.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks