Found these pics on zigwheels

http://www.zigwheels.com/gallery/sli...ures/16011/1/2
Old 4th April 2013, 11:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: *Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
1. Looks almost as big as Verna!

2. Minimal parts sharing between i20 and HB20S based on the exteriors.

3. i20 was always feature-loaded, so the sedan cannot be cheaper variant.

4. i20 is priced so high - there is little room between i20 and Verna to place another sedan!

With all these in mind - I dont think an i20 sedan will make it to the Indian market, unless it can somehow squeeze into the lower tax bracket (which is almost next to impossible IMO!).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Surprisingly, the renderings of the i20 Sedan aren't as ugly as I had imagined them to be.

And will this be sub 4 meters? Looks a bit difficult since the i20 itself is short of the 4M mark by a whisker.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just yesterday I was thinking of same. Well in my opinion since i20 sedan should be a hit. Customer already prefer i20 over swift.
The sales number says otherwise. Swift is the 2nd largest selling car after the Alto!

Quote:
If they indeed under cut the price and place it below Verna, it will definitely take a chunck away from the Verna's sales. It may be more profitable to sell the Verna than the i20 based sedan.
The verna starts around 8.5 lacs and goes up to 12 lacs ex-showroom Mumbai and has 13 variants.
The i20 starts at 5.1lacs & goes up to 8.25 lacs ex-showroom mumbai and has 12 variants.

MSIL has around 13 around different models with overlapping price points from the Alto to Grand Vitara. But has around half the variants (2-7) for each. If that's the case, there is plenty of room for Hyundai to slot in a entry level sedan. While they will eat into each others sales for a while, you cater to a larger customer base and ultimately when they know that you have a portfolio that lets you choose a car meeting your exact needs, you get some sort of brand good will as well.

Hyundai may end up pruning the variant count to a select few since it will have a car now to suit the price points the Verna or i20 variants today cater to. So while your opinion on profits from Verna is right, its a short term blip compared to the long term gains Hyundai makes by bringing in a new car.

Edit : The prices/variants etc were all courtesy of oncars.in and was just illustrative. Never meant to be exact.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

It certainly looks the best. Have they shortened the hood area? or reduced the rear leg room?
Old 4th April 2013, 12:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

It looks pretty similar to the new Fiesta, especially from the rear 3/4 angle. Looks pretty good though. They would have a tough time pricing this one.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
It looks pretty similar to the new Fiesta, especially from the rear 3/4 angle. Looks pretty good though. They would have a tough time pricing this one.
Something Hyundai can do to position this car profitably is to

1. somehow make it smaller than 4 m
2. strip all the gizmos and place it as a value alternative
3. pull the plug on the vintage accent and price it in that territory - on similar lines with i20.

That way, people who want to spend , say 6.5 lakhs, can either buy a loaded i20 or a barebones *HB20* (speculative name used). The Loaded *HB20* can be priced to overlap with the lower Verna variants.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:10   #23
BHPian

I would think it would not make sense for Hyundai to launch it in India if it cannot bring the car under the 4m mark. May be if it wants it to replace Accent, but then pricing would be a challenge!
Old 4th April 2013, 12:13   #24
Team-BHP Support

Certainly resembles the Fiesta sedan from the rear, but Hyundai have done a better job than Ford in hiding the rear bulk, giving this car a better looking side profile.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:21   #25
BHPian

I feel that this is the best looking sedan in the C1 segment, I personally don't like the looks of Dzire or Amaze, or SX4/Etios. Pricing/sub-4m/whether they bring it to India are different discussions, though. From what I see, slight adjustments to the rear can make it to sub 4m category. If the pricing for 1.4 CRDI on this sedan body starts even from 6.75 Lakhs, then there'll be serious competition between Amaze, Dzire and this one in that segment.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Something Hyundai can do to position this car profitably is to

1. somehow make it smaller than 4 m
2. strip all the gizmos and place it as a value alternative
3. pull the plug on the vintage accent and price it in that territory - on similar lines with i20.

That way, people who want to spend , say 6.5 lakhs, can either buy a loaded i20 or a barebones *HB20* (speculative name used). The Loaded *HB20* can be priced to overlap with the lower Verna variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
From what I see, slight adjustments to the rear can make it to sub 4m category. If the pricing for 1.4 CRDI on this sedan body starts even from 6.75 Lakhs, then there'll be serious competition between Amaze, Dzire and this one in that segment.
Guys, its an impossible task.

1. i20 itself is 3995mm in length. They have an additional 5mm to play with! 5mm!

2. i20 diesel starts at 6L ex-showroom delhi, even after meeting the 12% excise slab. Considering the minimal use of external parts and higher 24% tax structure - I would say the least pricing we can expect from hyundai is 8L ex-showroom.

3. Verna CRDi starts at 8.44L ex-showroom. Unless they plan on stopping the 1.4 variant to put some more gap between the two - at which case it comes to 9.9 L ex showroom.

4. i20 cannot go further down since the new generation i10 is supposed to be bigger than earlier - and priced higher than earlier - leaving very little space between the two.

5. HB20S is 4.2m long. (Source - http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ards-10041.htm) They cannot go under 4m mark without major rework for the indian market.

6. Brazilian market already has HB20 hatchback - which means huge costs saving in terms of platform. Remember - HB20 is a whole lot different from i20, in everything including the wheelbase. (Source - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ndai-hb20.html)

7. Brazilian market does not have Elantra. HB20S fills that gap, below the Elantra

HB20S is NOT an i20 sedan. And if they are still bringing it here - I'll be really surprised if Hyundai can pull this one off - without eating its own market share from i20 and Verna!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2013 at 14:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 14:30   #27
MYB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
HB20S is NOT an i20 sedan.
I agree. The HB20 hatchback is nothing but i30 in the UK i believe. And HB models are specific to the Brazilian Market (HB stands for Hyundai Brazil, remember reading it somewhere. Please correct me if I am wrong), so i would definitely ignore this news and be at peace. This sedan will never come to India is what I would believe at this point in time but if it does, if ever, it is a nice preposition for Hyundai and with the gamut of prices they come up with it shouldn't be difficult for them to price it.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
......it is a nice preposition for Hyundai and with the gamut of prices they come up with it shouldn't be difficult for them to price it.
I mean, why not? See Hyundai might try to take a leaf out of MSIL book. Consider how many different options MSIL have in the 3-8L price segment. Do you think MSIL ever complained of its own product cannibalization? Even the Estillo which many of us thought would be phased out in very near future, showed a sale upsurge in march '13. You should not let customer go out of the showroom without being spoilt for choices. that has been maruti mantra and hyundai is probably catching up with it. Problem is if you have around 8-9L+ to spend on a car it is very less likely that people would choose MSIL or Hyundai. Its not that their cars are bad for that price but just does not have that aura. On the contrary all the 'pricey' brands honda, toyota, GM are now entering into the backyard of hyundai and maruti with their CS models. Its in their own interest that MSIL and Hyundai somehow defend their fortress of B and low C segment cars.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
2. i20 diesel starts at 6L ex-showroom delhi, even after meeting the 12% excise slab. Considering the minimal use of external parts and higher 24% tax structure - I would say the least pricing we can expect from hyundai is 8L ex-showroom.

3. Verna CRDi starts at 8.44L ex-showroom. Unless they plan on stopping the 1.4 variant to put some more gap between the two - at which case it comes to 9.9 L ex showroom.

4. i20 cannot go further down since the new generation i10 is supposed to be bigger than earlier - and priced higher than earlier - leaving very little space between the two.

5. HB20S is 4.2m long. (Source - http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ards-10041.htm) They cannot go under 4m mark without major rework for the indian market.

6. Brazilian market already has HB20 hatchback - which means huge costs saving in terms of platform. Remember - HB20 is a whole lot different from i20, in everything including the wheelbase.
7. Brazilian market does not have Elantra. HB20S fills that gap, below the Elantra
[/b]
As per announcement by Hyundai, what I feel is:
1. Compact SUV- HB20x(will be under 4m) - will be priced about 1 or 1.2Lac more than i20, making top-end model priced at 8L, targetting customers of Ecosport.

2. Compact Sedan- HB20s(will be 4.2m with 1.4L CRDi engine)- will be priced about 1 or 1.3Lac more than HB20x, making top-end model priced at 9.3L.

3. Verna base would get 1.6 CRDI engine, discontinuing 1.4 CRDi engine in Verna and increasing prise by 50k.

4. Actually HB20 is modified i20, where i stands for India and HB stands for Hyundai Brazil

5. Brazil has Elantra but no Verna.

6. HB20s is mainly targetted for likes of Sunny(top model is priced at 8.78L), Scala(top model is priced at 9.5L) and Rapid(top model is priced at 9.3L).

7. After all these, Facelift of Verna 9ofcourse some bumper modifications to increase length) will be introduced with price increase of 20-30K.

Hoping to have cracked the Korean Brain completely.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:57   #30
BANNED

For me, it is just another Verna. And at about 4250mm length which is just about 15cm shorter than Verna, no way it can be any other car than Verna. Had it been a sub-4m sedan, it would have been a good product considering the lower tax.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks