Old 10th May 2006, 01:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
base version costs $49999
make that 50k

50k * rs 44= 22 lakhs INR

plus 110% taxes= 4620000 INR
again who buys base and thats USD, in euro that would be 45k so now the price is slightly different ? 45*2.2*56 = 55L and thats just base, and in base you dont get squot, i wouldnt want to spend 55 and get base, atleast 10l worth of add ons would be minimum..so 65..

also i love the LX and LC but in today's senario, i wouldnt buy either...and a big no no to the pajero..and Porsche is a true off roader, havent you checked the mags lately, they have been having fun with it in dubai like crazi...no better car right now..i think, but i wouldnt mind going for the X5 since it had 2 yrs of life left and also it looks nice...Q7 also if you can stretch it..

hell you have very many choices if you have a little bigger budget..

ML350 very pricy
Cayenne V6
Q7
X5
RR Sport (very very pricy, almost not worth it)
Regular RR

Last edited by 1Day : 10th May 2006 at 01:55.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Paris-Dakar rally is not a simple rallying event.

And yes the cars are prepared for the rally but that give the companies knowhow on how to manufacture a new suv.

the effects can be seen on the pajero.

point 2. as Aditya pointed out, buying a new SUV is not the biggest problem. Spares and service are. Hence stick to either pajero or lexus or look at rangerover for a more upmarket feel.
Which companies use the Paris Dakar to gain know how ? Peugeot and Citroen were overall winners several times in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I have yet to see this translate into an SUV.

The event is not a test track it is a very serious event with the majors spending millions. The prestige of winning and the associated media coverage is the main reason they enter.

Anyway the Pajero does not have the special wow factor of say a Cayenne or X5. Yes it is more practical when it comes to service and parts. But if you can afford to spend 50L on a car I think the last thing you would be over concerned with is the service and parts network.
Old 10th May 2006, 03:42   #33

Suv

Hi guys!!

I m from Nairobi, KENYA.

WHICH SUV DO YOU WANT TO BUY FOR 50 lacs??

I dont know about the prices or the models that are offers in india but there are only few carmakers who make proper SUVS. They are:
  1. Toyota/Lexus- Prado, Landcruiser and LX 470 series
  2. Land rover- Range rover HSE, Range rover sport, Discovery 3 and Freelander
  3. Porsche- Cayenne (v6 3.2 litre), Cayenne S (V8 4.5 litre) and Cayenne Turbo (V8 4.5 litre turbo)
  4. Audi- Q7
  5. Bmw- X3 and X5
  6. Mitsubishi- Pajero
  7. Mercedes Benz- Ml class, G class and GL class (brand new)
If you are goin for looks then don't even think of buying the Mercs or the pajero. For looks, the best are the porsche cayenne, BMW X5 and the range rovers and the vw toureg. I would go for the range rover sport or porsche cayenne turbo with the 20 inch rims.

If you want to buy something new and fresh, go for the audi q7.

If you are planning to but something conservative best in that class is the toyota prado or the lexus lx470.

I ve driven the VW toureg, porsche cayenne turbo, range rover and the X5 here in kenya. the lexus has the best ride. not even a range rover can beat its ride. the porsche and the range rover are the hottest. the acceleration in the porsche cayenne turbo is unbelievable (it feels heavy when you seat inside the car but it will surprise you with its power. reli mind blowing). the best interior is in the range rover and even maybe the exterior. makes you feel like a king. best value for money is the VW toureg. This is my inference.

I don't how many of those models are sold in India or their prices.

But if you buy anything, get the biggest rims they offer.
Old 10th May 2006, 04:21   #34
Team-BHP Support

big rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil Sanghani
But if you buy anything, get the biggest rims they offer.
if you're talking about the Bling-style! big rims (huge rms with 0 profile tyres), then they look good only in rap videos and tarmac.
they perform horribly everywhere - on road and off it.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th May 2006 at 04:22. Reason: modifying content
Old 10th May 2006, 04:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmanstanding
Thanks for all the replies friends...

Many of my friends Suggested Range Rover, X 5's and cayenne's but what i want is a proper SUV nothing curtailed. I want a proper husk thing, which i find in LX 470 even I find new Land Cruiser Prado a bit curtailed from behind, not that huge look it use to had in older model.

Well no body said any thing about LX 470, why , is it a outdated vehicle or what. By the way how much is it costing on road.

Thanks a lot, any other suggestions people..

Well by husk i dont mean Hummer..no ways
Dude whatever you buy.... you BETTER post some pics here

My advice... go for x5 4.4 or 4.6 or Cayenne S (i dont know about prices in India but from reading these posts i think this will fit your budget).

I dont fancy Lexus cause all said and done its still a toyota for me
Old 10th May 2006, 08:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
Dude whatever you buy.... you BETTER post some pics here

I dont fancy Lexus cause all said and done its still a toyota for me
How true? I wouldnt spend a premium price for a lexus badge.

Even in Acura its the same case. I don wanna be driving new look accords and civics paying more money.

Just a though. If u are paying 50lacs you waould want the best quality exterior and interior. range rover.

I think cayenne turbo is much more expensive.

mercedes ml320 is better but x5 has more appeal

pajero for the real utility.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamsinmerak
After driving a lot i feel the Tuareg V6 Tdi is the best bet.Very comfortable on the road,very competent in the mud and rough.Not a heavy drinker like the V10(returned an amazing 12.5 kmpl) and a sub 50 lakh price tag.Built quality is something to talk about and the mechanicals are rock solid.The chassis is excellent,you can attack corners without any worries
Is the V6 Tdi shared with the Skoda Superb? This may make some spares more easily available (though not necessarily cheaper considering Skoda prices in India).

Go for the Range Rover only if you have a spare parts budget almost equivalent to the price of your car. It may be cheaper to write off the car and claim insurance if (god forbid) you have crash in some instances.

Remember that the Range/Land Rover is basically a Ford with another badge. You may be better off buying Excursions and Explorers (okay, some exaggeration there!). Same principle as in Lexus/Toyota and Infinity/Nissan. Except that the exteriors do not look similar except to the trained eye. It soothes the Brit ego to drive an American SUV with a British badge thats owned by a German luxury carmaker.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th May 2006 at 12:19.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:56   #38
BHPian

Hello fernz,

Loads of appreciation for the wonderful replies.

Well this is me

http://tinypic.com/im4234.jpg

in the mean time, is there any showroom for LX 470 and VW or please suggest me a genuine dealer around.

Thanks again, ...u people rock !!!!

Cheers
Old 10th May 2006, 15:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Have very little idea about SUV's .. are these any good ?

Cadillac Escalade
Volvo XC 90
Old 10th May 2006, 16:22   #40
BHPian

i dont know why people have not mentioned the vw touraeg...
its definitely the best buy in ur budget...beats all...no the rover...but anyways that not in ur specified budget...
the touraeg has awesome performance....very luxourious....looks stunning and beats the cayenne..though bouth were designed alongside each other..
im a major suv buff...but i stick to the old landrovers...
see some of my threads and if u like my rides maybe i can build u one..
cheers
Old 11th May 2006, 07:49   #41
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Remember that the Range/Land Rover is basically a Ford with another badge.
Range/Land Rover has the best off-road capabilities among SUVs.
http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/to...road/suvs.html
Whereas, the ford explorer, even though it was the best selling suv in USA, was found to be the worst off-roader.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...2-trucks_x.htm
So, its wrong to say that range rover is a rebadged ford.
As you might know, jags and volvo cars is also owned by ford. But if you have driven any of them, you will find that you cannot compare these cars with ford. These luxury models are far to refined that any ford.

Last edited by mxx : 11th May 2006 at 07:54.
Old 11th May 2006, 07:59   #42
mxx
BHPian

If you having to choose between LandCruiser and Pajero, I suggest that you go for Land Cruiser. It is far more refined than a Pajero. The build quality is also better. LC has Better engines too.
Old 11th May 2006, 11:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

With that kind of Budget I would go for Porsche Cayenne. Nothing beats it in snob appeal. Also, the VW Touareg shares quite a few things with Cayenne.
I think the only importer/dealer is Shreyans Motors?
Old 11th May 2006, 13:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
If you having to choose between LandCruiser and Pajero, I suggest that you go for Land Cruiser. It is far more refined than a Pajero. The build quality is also better. LC has Better engines too.
That is correct out the two the LC is the better car and lasts a lot longer. When the US invaded Afganistan the LC was the choice of car the taliban commanders wanted as a bribe to defect to the opposition.
Old 11th May 2006, 14:07   #45
BHPian

Depends on what you want..

The Land Cruiser is the choice for the really tough conditions - australian outbacks, arabian deserts etc. you see mostly the toyota's in action.

The VW Toureg and the Porche have more urban panache and makes a statement. The VW has a better presence than the Porche (the rear view is great, but the front looks like a carrera sawn off and stuck onto an SUV). The Mercedes SUV can be added to this list..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks