Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 09:12   #46
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

Guys need some advise on the part replacement drive. My XUV is a W8 '12 model which i took delivery on 1st Aug '12. Called the RM continuously (Sireesh Auto Marathalli Bangalore) for 4 days before he asked me to get the vehicle to the SC on 20th March.

Now, I was under the assumption that I can drive there, spend a couple of hrs and get the replacement done and drive back. What the RM says is the vehicle needs to be left in the SC for 2 days (!!) to 'check' and replace anything if necessary !! I am extremely uncomfortable leaving my vehicle overnight in any SC and thought I'd post this here and get some pointers/thoughts on this !??
Old 19th March 2013, 09:17   #47
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys need some advise on the part replacement drive. My XUV is a W8 '12 model which i took delivery on 1st Aug '12. Called the RM continuously (Sireesh Auto Marathalli Bangalore) for 4 days before he asked me to get the vehicle to the SC on 20th March.

Now, I was under the assumption that I can drive there, spend a couple of hrs and get the replacement done and drive back. What the RM says is the vehicle needs to be left in the SC for 2 days (!!) to 'check' and replace anything if necessary !! I am extremely uncomfortable leaving my vehicle overnight in any SC and thought I'd post this here and get some pointers/thoughts on this !??
If all 3 parts need replacement, even then it would not take more than 2-3 hours. Looks like your service center just wants to take your call and then keep you on hold. I would suggest, talk to your area customer-care manager if the service-center is not ready to budge.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 09:22   #48
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If all 3 parts need replacement, even then it would not take more than 2-3 hours. Looks like your service center just wants to take your call and then keep you on hold. I would suggest, talk to your area customer-care manager if the service-center is not ready to budge.
Thanks for that SPD. Now how do I find the Area CC manager or get the contacts of such a person !?
Old 19th March 2013, 09:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Thanks for that SPD. Now how do I find the Area CC manager or get the contacts of such a person !?
Go to Chrome Motors,Mysore road if you can and speak to Maqbool (Service Works Manager). From my experience these guys much more helpful than IG and Sireesh for that matter.
I don't think its necessary for you to go the dealer whom you picked up the car from, the swap can be done at any M&M authorized outlet.

If nothing works PM me, I will put you through to someone who can help you.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 09:30   #50
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Go to Chrome Motors,Mysore road if you can and speak to Maqbool (Service Works Manager). From my experience these guys much more helpful than IG and Sireesh for that matter.
I don't think its necessary for you to go the dealer whom you picked up the car from, the swap can be done at any M&M authorized outlet.

If nothing works PM me, I will put you through to someone who can help you.
Riju, Thanks for the help. Can you give me the contact no. to Maqbool and also to the Service Centre if you have the same. I'd rather go there than Sireesh.
Old 19th March 2013, 10:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP

I got mine changed yesterday, gave the vehicle at 10 in the morning. Got it back at 2 in the noon.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:32   #52
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Got my W8's parts replaced yesterday. My car was picked up from my place at 10AM by Anant cars and dropped off after the work was done by 6PM. All this even though I live near Hebbal and the SC is on Bannerghatta Road!!

Anant cars seem to be very professional, and I have requested a change of RM from Sireesh to Anant as well. I was impressed with the communication and the driver who picked up the car was also a very decent chap.

Thanks buddy rjstyles69, you put me on to the right people!

So far so good - I'm planning to get all my Scorpio work/service done by Anant cars as well from now. They seem leagues ahead of Sireesh or India Garage.

Last edited by NIP : 23rd March 2013 at 10:35.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I hope everyone is aware of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery concerns and how the entire fleet is grounded since early Jan'2013...Today is 15th March 2013, so its just about 2 months. In these 2 months, Boeing was able to investigate the causes, find root causes, redesign multiple systems with multiple additional design elements and have done internal testing to verify the new design...A very commendable effort and is a good demonstration of walking-the-talk about their commitment to safety...Car-manufacturers have a lot to learn from companies like Boeing.
Not entirely true, I'm afraid. There were issues with those Lithium batteries during the prototype flight test stage, well before the aircraft was put into production. Without going into the details, Boeing cannot really be held up as the shining knight in armour- They had little choice but to rectify the defects after the FAA grounded the entire fleet of Dreamliners. Its not as if they were entirely pro-active on this issue to begin with.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:09   #54
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Not entirely true, I'm afraid. There were issues with those Lithium batteries during the prototype flight test stage, well before the aircraft was put into production. Without going into the details, Boeing cannot really be held up as the shining knight in armour- They had little choice but to rectify the defects after the FAA grounded the entire fleet of Dreamliners. Its not as if they were entirely pro-active on this issue to begin with.
Knowing Boeing decently well, I would agree with you.

I had cited the Dreamliner battery issue NOT as an example of proactiveness but as an example of agility in redesign and the comprehensiveness of the solution. Even I wish they had done it right from first 787 delivery. Their commitment to safety is actually admirable. Its not something that they only talk to the media and mention in their ads. Even internally they are heavily focused on end-customer safety.

Hope that clarifies.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:23   #55
SDP
Team-BHP Support

As has been said earlier, besides the brakes, the hooter which has a tendancy to fall off and get entangled into moving parts is a recurring problem and has become an ideal candidate for recall.

Here's the latest incident about how a fallen hooter brought the car to its knees:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
3. Accessory belt : ...
Day before yesterday I had long day at office I heard a hard tap noise, while driving the car out of the office parking area at 8pm! I thought I hit something underneath, I got out of the car and could not see anything below. I got back in and started to drive and immediately realized that the steering has become rock hard. Something has gone wrong with the power steering. I stopped the car again and tried to restart but to no avail, the power steering does not work. I had a tough time driving the car back home. Though a short distance it was tough to turn the car around the corners.! Reaching home I usually park by reversing and after getting out I see a broken belt from the engine bay! See pic!

Attachment 1082239
Broken belt thankfully did not get entangled inside
Called RM and he explained to me that due to the siren touching the accessory belt, the belt got cut!. The belt connects the engine and the auxiliary units, compressor etc. which powers the power steering, AC etc. ...
The hooter that falls off:
Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts-old-horn-2.jpg

And the snapped belt in Acinonyx's case because of the fallen hooter:
Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts-dsc_0357.jpg

Pics courtesy original posters.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mahindras, are you listening?

Last edited by SDP : 10th May 2013 at 20:29.
Old 5th June 2013, 18:58   #56
SDP
Team-BHP Support

More data points about the hooter issue.

I was at the service center for 2 days to get some minor issues sorted out. I did see at least 5 vehicles in those 2 days with the exact same problem. Hooter fallen off, got entangled in the belt, the belt eventually snapped and vehicle broke down (could not be operated any further without repair)! In one case, the belt was so badly shredded and large chunk of it were missing that the mechanic was appalled by the sight. Saw the new part which has a plastic tie-string so that it doesn't fall off.

If this is not a candidate for a recall, I don't know what is.

Hooter, brake-pads, brake-pedal, suspension-bushes. That's a big enough list for a reall. Right, M&M?

Last edited by SDP : 5th June 2013 at 19:01.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 19:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More data points about the hooter issue.

I was at the service center for 2 days to get some minor issues sorted out. I did see at least 5 vehicles in those 2 days with the exact same problem. Hooter fallen off, got entangled in the belt, the belt eventually snapped and vehicle broke down (could not be operated any further without repair)! In one case, the belt was so badly shredded and large chunk of it were missing that the mechanic was appalled by the sight. Saw the new part which has a plastic tie-string so that it doesn't fall off.

If this is not a candidate for a recall, I don't know what is.

Hooter, brake-pads, brake-pedal, suspension-bushes. That's a big enough list for a reall. Right, M&M?
Do you have a pic showing this hooter location? And is this hooter for reverse/alarm?
Old 5th June 2013, 19:58   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As has been said earlier, besides the brakes, the hooter which has a tendancy to fall off and get entangled into moving parts is a recurring problem and has become an ideal candidate for recall.
Sorry i am a little late to join the party, is there any kind of solution Mahindra is offering in regards to the hooter problem. Where exactly is the hooter located, please post some pic reference pic if you know it exists on the forum.

If there is no solution offered yet, has anyone done some sort of makeshift arrangement (Jugaad) to avoid any such incidents.

BTW, i was going through my car's service history and guess what, the stabiliser bar issue exists in my car too. Some related part was replaced twice and i can already hear the rattling front suspension coming back again. My car is going to service center tomorrow, will update you guys after the car comes back.

Thanks for the great effort you put in to keep us updated.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 21:43   #59
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Do you have a pic showing this hooter location? And is this hooter for reverse/alarm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sorry i am a little late to join the party, is there any kind of solution Mahindra is offering in regards to the hooter problem. Where exactly is the hooter located, please post some pic reference pic if you know it exists on the forum.
Its located below the coolant container. Not easily visible. The following post from Debuda's thread shows one picture of a mechanic trying to access the hooter.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3060918

Quote:
If there is no solution offered yet, has anyone done some sort of makeshift arrangement (Jugaad) to avoid any such incidents.
There is a M&M authorised jugaad solution .
There is a new hooter which has apparently better plastics (as claimed by M&M). Additionally there is a plastic-tie (this is what I meant by jugaad) that comes with the new part that needs to be attached somewhere to the frame so that even in the unfortunate occurance of the hooter plastic part failing, the entire hooter won't fall down and get entangled in the accessories belt.

Quote:
BTW, i was going through my car's service history and guess what, the stabiliser bar issue exists in my car too. Some related part was replaced twice and i can already hear the rattling front suspension coming back again. My car is going to service center tomorrow, will update you guys after the car comes back.
The old balancer bar bushes have a tendancy to get deformed after every 500-1000kms. Not visibly noticeable to an untrained eye. Apparently there is a new design bush now which does not have that problem. This is a recent development and the service center might not have these new bushes in stock. I got those over the weekend. Would come to know if the new design solves that problem only after driving my next 1000kms. But the mechanic did mention that there are no complaints with the new bushes. You might want to talk to your RM about the bushes. Do let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Thanks for the great effort you put in to keep us updated.
Just doing my bit!

Last edited by SDP : 5th June 2013 at 21:48.
Old 5th June 2013, 22:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its located below the coolant container. Not easily visible. The following post from Debuda's thread shows one picture of a mechanic trying to access the hooter.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3060918

There is a M&M authorised jugaad solution .
There is a new hooter which has apparently better plastics (as claimed by M&M). Additionally there is a plastic-tie (this is what I meant by jugaad) that comes with the new part that needs to be attached somewhere to the frame so that even in the unfortunate occurance of the hooter plastic part failing, the entire hooter won't fall down and get entangled in the accessories belt.

The old balancer bar bushes have a tendancy to get deformed after every 500-1000kms. Not visibly noticeable to an untrained eye. Apparently there is a new design bush now which does not have that problem. This is a recent development and the service center might not have these new bushes in stock. I got those over the weekend. Would come to know if the new design solves that problem only after driving my next 1000kms. But the mechanic did mention that there are no complaints with the new bushes. You might want to talk to your RM about the bushes. Do let us know how it goes.

Just doing my bit!
Thanks a lot.

The problem is, with so many new parts coming in now and then, we as a customer do not get to know if that part is actually the current one. For e.g. now these new bushes coming in, we would not know if they did replace it with the new one or the old ones. Only after using it for some time then only we can make out. Thats sad. I guess they should clearly show new parts with the codes or something to customers before putting them in. Would make life much easier.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks