Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 12:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Mod Note: Our KUV100 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The first image of Mahindra’s compact SUV codenamed S101 has appeared on Autocarindia.com.

This heavily disguised SUV prototype is said to be jointly developed with Ssangyong, the South Korean SUV manufacturer that Mahindra acquired in 2010. The design's sharply angled rear windscreen is most obvious from the picture. It's overall length will be under 4 meters, so that the lower 12% excise duty slab is applicable (the same for larger SUVs was recently hiked to 30%). Mahindra might also use the Quanto's competent 3-cylinder diesel motor which offers excellent driveability & fuel economy. Sources suggest that the baby SUV will feature a monocoque construction, instead of the traditional ladder-on-frame chassis, and a FWD layout. A monocoque can make the S101 lighter and more car-like to drive. Due to packaging constraints, Mahindra could mount the spare wheel on the tail gate. Good thing, as it will undoubtedly enhance the SUV's looks. As authorities calculate vehicle length without the spare wheel on the tail-gate, it wouldn't make a difference to the S101's sub-4 meter classification.

Unlike the Quanto however, it will be difficult for the S101 to have a 3rd row of seats. The short length & rear windscreen design might not make it feasible.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindra_suv_scoop.jpg

When it comes to UVs, Mahindra isn't letting off the accelerator pedal just yet. The Quanto, Bolero, Scorpio & XUV500 are sales successes. Reports hint at the low cost S101's pricing being under Rs. 5 lakhs for the base variant. The S101 will be manufactured at Mahindra's Chakan factory.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2016 at 22:04. Reason: Link to review
Nilesh5417 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 12:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Looks promising but article says still in prototype stage. I wuldnt be surprised if Mahindra gives this one final looks inspired by the XUV.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think this is going to be a monocoque, thus lighter and more car-like to drive. It might use the Quanto's diesel motor which is competent for a 3-cylinder engine.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 13:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Could it be based on the Verito? Mahindra is already working on sub-4m and hatchback versions of the Verito
Old 13th March 2013, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I doubt whether this actually will be a 6-8 seater. Because in the Quanto rear hatch is almost flat & vertical, & this one has got a slating/ sloping hatch rendering the third row seats useless even if these are front facing.

But, this could give fierce competition to Duster & EcoSport IMO.
Old 13th March 2013, 13:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

If they can do a 4-cylinder version to better the refinement, that would be even better. But I doubt that would happen. Because a monocoque design and an unrefined motor, does not feel nice. A good X-over with a refined engine would be a perfect thing for city driving. Then truly they can tackle Ecosport and the likes.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:11   #7
BHPian

I think they will stick to their Quanto's engine. Also they are currently developing 1 or 1.2 ltr petrol engines.
But does this Mini SUV has any resemblance with the SsangYong's Korando. Because it was also named S101 by SsangYong motors in their initial development stages.
sujay bhandare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 15:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

What is the need for this car? Is there a market for it? Not sure how many people would enjoy driving an SUVish hatch rather than a proper hatch. The quanto was the shortest SUVish hatch possible according to me. Anything shorter and I am lost as to what it is.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the need for this car? Is there a market for it? Not sure how many people would enjoy driving an SUVish hatch rather than a proper hatch. The quanto was the shortest SUVish hatch possible according to me. Anything shorter and I am lost as to what it is.
Couldn't agree more on this. Even the Quanto is not really setting the sales charts on fire though it is not doing miserably as well.

Trying hard to understand the target market for this? People aspiring to own a SUVish vehicle but with limited budget?
Old 13th March 2013, 16:08   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2013 at 13:42.
crazydave is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th March 2013, 16:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is incredible stuff from Mahindra. They surely go by the methodolgy "hit the iron when its hot".

A decent 5 seater, XUVish looks, sporting the 100bhp 3-pot engine and most importantly lighter than the super heavy quato(1600kgs+). And it will be a hoot to drive. *Fingers Crossed*
Old 13th March 2013, 17:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Couldn't agree more on this. Even the Quanto is not really setting the sales charts on fire though it is not doing miserably as well.

Trying hard to understand the target market for this? People aspiring to own a SUVish vehicle but with limited budget?
Sorry but i don't agree with you

Considering the specs we are talking here & the price at which it will be available, i am sure it will attract many many customers. It can fight with Ford Ecosport which is again a 5 seater, or even with Duster which is a runaway success in India in recent times for any foreign manufacturer. People will like it because:

1 Low cost. May be 6 to 8 L on road.
2 SUV looks.
3 Spacious seating, more space for 5 people.
4 Better boot space than normal hatch like Swift, i20, Figo etc.
5 Diesel engine!!!! With it comes better mileage & lower running costs.
6 Last but not least, its a MAHINDRA.

In last few years people has started liking Mahindra cars a lot. XUV is a prime example of that. Doing avg sales of 4 k for a 15 L vehicle from Mahindra for their first proper SUV in the market is incredible in my opinion. If it looks good & Mahindra take care of above points i mentioned, it will be a sure shot hit IMO. People will prefer over i20, Swift, etc. I keep my fingers crossed. Mahindra please don't disappoint us
Old 13th March 2013, 17:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I just saw this thread on my mobile and the snap of the vehicle somehow is not at all convincing to that of a SUV.To me,it looks like a photoshopped stuff if you look at surroundings.It appears as a hatchback rather that a SUV.Maybe I'm wrong as there is nothing else in frame for relative comparison.Some more spottings might add to its character.And I seriously hope that this ain't a Verito hatchback.(I might be wrong in these assumptions but then,you never know.)

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2013 at 13:42. Reason: Do NOT use SMS language on this forum please
Old 13th March 2013, 17:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
1 Low cost. May be 6 to 8 L on road.
2 SUV looks.
3 Spacious seating, more space for 5 people.
4 Better boot space than normal hatch like Swift, i20, Figo etc.
5 Diesel engine!!!! With it comes better mileage & lower running costs.
6 Last but not least, its a MAHINDRA.
All the above points are valid. But all of the above except one are fulfilled by a sedan. Hence as i mentioned in my original post - SUV looks seems to be the only major fit for folks looking to buying this.

Anyway no point arguing on it. We will wait and see the results whenever it is launched. I rest my case.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
All the above points are valid. But all of the above except one are fulfilled by a sedan. Hence as i mentioned in my original post - SUV looks seems to be the only major fit for folks looking to buying this.

Anyway no point arguing on it. We will wait and see the results whenever it is launched. I rest my case.
I agree with you. You can buy a sedan for sure but if you see the trend for last 3-4 years,people are preferring big SUVish cars over sedan. See the sales numbers of XUV, Duster, Innova, T-Fort, etc. People now want big looks with big space. Also it handles better on bad roads. If you get the same under 4 meters, then why not buy it? Ecosport is already in talks & eagerly waited because of these points only.

Anyways, lets wait for more updates. But i am sure it will be a good buy in India market if Mahindra ticks all the boxes.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed