Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 15:51   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs-freelander-2-model-year-13-3-custom.jpg

Land Rover launches the locally-built 2013 Freelander 2 from its facility in Pune. The Freelander 2 has been built at this plant since May 2011.

Updated exterior bits and improved equipment levels form the news here. So, what's new?

• On the outside, the front & rear lights get updates and LEDs, with a signature graphic in the front running lights.

• The HSE trim gets new 17" alloy wheels.

• Two additional colour options (Aintree Green and Havana).

• An engine start / stop button. No more key dock, you can park the key in your pocket.

• The interior gets a new center console and 7-inch colour touchscreen. The Meridian audio system is available with a choice of 380W (11 speakers) or 825W (17 speakers) versions. Both are equipped with subwoofers and an Audyssey MultEQ tuning system.

• The navigation system gets a faster hard-drive in the 2013 Freelander 2.

• A rear view camera is now standard. The view from the back of the vehicle is displayed on the Infotainment screen with dynamic lines representing the boundaries of the vehicle and your predicted path, as you reverse.

• A new electric parking brake that adjusts brake force according to the slope the vehicle is parked on. The system takes into account whether the brakes are hot or cold too. If hot, the system wakes up periodically to ensure clamping force is not lost as the brakes cool down. Additionally, the electric parking brake can be used as an emergency brake, automatically selecting the most stable braking method by employing skid prevention techniques. The brake cannot be released unless the driver's seat is occupied.

• The Terrain Response dial has been replaced by switches, and a shutter reveals additional storage space.

• The updated instrument cluster has a 5" MID between the dials.

Pricing:

• 2.2L diesel TD4 SE (148 BHP) at Rs. 38.67 Lakhs
• 2.2L diesel SD4 HSE (187 BHP) at Rs. 43.92 Lakhs
Prices are ex-showroom Mumbai

Jaguar Land Rover sold 2,393 cars in India in the year 2012.

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs-freelander-2-specifications.png

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs-freelander-2-model-year-13-2.jpg

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs-freelander-2-model-year-13-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2013 at 15:57.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 15:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Old 13th March 2013, 16:33   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pricing:

• 2.2L diesel TD4 SE (148 BHP) at Rs. 38.67 Lakhs
• 2.2L diesel SD4 HSE (187 BHP) at Rs. 43.92 Lakhs
Prices are ex-showroom Mumbai
While the FL-2 is certainly a very capable vehicle, JLR has never priced it right and it continues with these prices as well.

This vehicle will continue to be a niche rarity on our streets significantly surpassed by its bigger cousins the Range Rover and the Discovery in terms of sales numbers.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't Fortuner, Santa Fe, X3 be its prime rivals? I come to think that even Santa Fe looks good on specs and upmarket feel comparatively. Although, FreeLander 2 may beat the rivals hands down on Off-Roadability. Still, JLR should bring it well within reach of its competitors to get moving in the market. Also, I see from pics that it is quite a squeeze with if all packed with max 5 passengers with little room for luggage in the small boot. Would love to see comparison with the competitors.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, As per the reports from IAB the 2015 Land Rover Freelander 2 with new top-end trims has been announced. The new 2015 Freelander’s get a revised headlight and rear parking sensor as standard.

Land Rover launches improved Freelander 2 @ 38.67 lakhs-2015landroverfreelander2pressheadlight.jpg

Thanks

AD

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/03/2...ander-2-124572
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:44   #6
BHPian

Freelander 2 SE - anything to watch out for?

So after testing the ML, E, Q5, X5, Fortuner, this is the choice of my close relative.

The price is around 51 on road in Kerala, Cochin where he lives. Would be exchanging his Civic AT and getting a discount on it. No other freebies.

I do hope the reliability is OK. I wanted him to buy a 320 d so that I could take it off him later but to no avail
Old 17th March 2014, 20:22   #7
BHPian

Re: Freelander 2 SE - anything to watch out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
So after testing the ML, E, Q5, X5, Fortuner, this is the choice of my close relative.

The price is around 51 on road in Kerala, Cochin where he lives. Would be exchanging his Civic AT and getting a discount on it. No other freebies.

I do hope the reliability is OK. I wanted him to buy a 320 d so that I could take it off him later but to no avail
Did you check out the BMW X3,it will fit your budget of 50lakhs(I presume) and you can get the BMW secure pack which will take care of the maintenance aspect as well.With the Bimmer you get a better handling machine with a better gearbox and a more roomy interior.Also service support of JLR group is not as good as BMW,but have heard equally bad things about Platinum Classic Cochin,so cant comment.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 21:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Did you check out the BMW X3,it will fit your budget of 50lakhs(I presume) and you can get the BMW secure pack which will take care of the maintenance aspect as well.With the Bimmer you get a better handling machine with a better gearbox and a more roomy interior.Also service support of JLR group is not as good as BMW,but have heard equally bad things about Platinum Classic Cochin,so cant comment.
The combination of plush ride plus solid off-road credentials were the main priorities, handling wasn't. Apparently, the BMW support in Cochin is pathetic and Mercedes and JLR are much better. Mercedes was the only other contender but the ML was 'too unwieldy'.

I sat in an older Freelander (2011) and thought the interiors were too tacky for the price - apparently, the facelift in 2013 was transformed the interiors. I still have no idea about the reliability of this SUV.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 21:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

The X5, ML and E-Class are all a notch or two above the Freelander. Is your relative going in for this only because it is the cheapest or does he want to love the brand so much? Because all logic fails when one talks about the Freelander. It is honestly a very poor choice; it isn't fast nor is it particularly efficient, it has an old 6 speed auto-box, the ride is jolty and yet the car wallows and rolls about in the corners, the engine gets very noisy and not in a tone that you find pleasant, the space isn't what you'd expect when you look at it from outside and then walk in and it is from a company that has remained in the lower quartiles of reliability charts even in its home turf. The sole attraction it has is its terrain response system to which I say, forget it all and buy a Pajero Sport. Oh and if that isn't enough reason to ditch the Freelander from any sort of consideration, please remind your relative that it is an ancient product that has only been given facelifts and a new one is on the way within a year's time.

Like Dean has suggested, try out the X3. It is nothing like the first one. The current gen X3 is actually quite impressive

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2014 at 21:11.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 21:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised the Freelander costs so much. Its made in India and was till recently advertised as a 35 lakh vehicle. According to information available on the net, there is a new Freelander around the corner, so you might want to wait for the new one or get meatier discounts on this one
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 21:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The X5, ML and E-Class are all a notch or two above the Freelander. Is your relative going in for this only because it is the cheapest or does he want to love the brand so much? Because all logic fails when one talks about the Freelander. It is honestly a very poor choice; it isn't fast nor is it particularly efficient, it has an old 6 speed auto-box, the ride is jolty and yet the car wallows and rolls about in the corners, the engine gets very noisy and not in a tone that you find pleasant, the space isn't what you'd expect when you look at it from outside and then walk in and it is from a company that has remained in the lower quartiles of reliability charts even in its home turf. The sole attraction it has is its terrain response system to which I say, forget it all and buy a Pajero Sport. Oh and if that isn't enough reason to ditch the Freelander from any sort of consideration, please remind your relative that it is an ancient product that has only been given facelifts and a new one is on the way within a year's time.

Like Dean has suggested, try out the X3. It is nothing like the first one. The current gen X3 is actually quite impressive

Cheers!
Have you driven both, the Freelander and the Pajero Sport?
Old 17th March 2014, 21:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Have you driven both, the Freelander and the Pajero Sport?
Yes indeed I have. Fortunate enough to have friends that own them If you're asking because you think in comparison the Pajero is a less well mannered car than the Landy, I agree. However, as I stated, if the sole reason to go for the Freelander is the terrain response system, then it makes no sense when you can buy a Pajero for far less money because it is just more practical than taking an expensive british SUV off-roading; what if something were to be replaced because of a simple mistake? Taking cars like a Land Rover off-roading might be a possibility but it isnt something you'd want to do.

In any case I know because of the beauty of mathematical probability that D Himan's relative won't be going off-roading anytime soon also the E-Class would not have even been on the list in that case. So my recommending the Pajero was merely intended as a Joke.

Ciao!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th March 2014 at 21:43.
Old 18th March 2014, 15:14   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

D_Himan,

I wouldn't recommend the Freelander. For one, the next-generation is just around the corner. Then, the Freelander 2 is too small, has a regular 4-cylinder diesel and an oldschool AT gearbox. Frankly, it's way too overpriced and has nothing really going for it, except for that Land Rover badge. SUVs costing half as much offer the same package...or more. A close relative owns one and I've spent extended time behind its wheel. At the end of every journey with it, my mind goes "28 lakhs on the road, might consider. 40 - 50 lakhs, you must be joking".

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2014 at 15:17.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 20:15   #14
BHPian

The Freelander is booked. The colour is Orkney Grey

Quote:
the ride is jolty and yet the car wallows and rolls about in the corners, the engine gets very noisy and not in a tone that you find pleasant, the space isn't what you'd expect when you look at it from outside

He's sold on the ride quality Ishaan. Said it just glided over bad roads. That's really, really critical for him. And he was just about happy with my Accord's ride quality. So well, huge difference of opinion...

BMW has a horrendous service network where he lives - checked, authenticated. Similarly with Audi. Mercedes has a good reputation and so does JLR (surprisingly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
D_Himan,

I wouldn't recommend the Freelander. For one, the next-generation is just around the corner. Then, the Freelander 2 is too small, has a regular 4-cylinder diesel and an oldschool AT gearbox. /I]".
Well, yes GTO. But I guess the brand value of owing a ' true blooded Landy' made him feel good. Also, he felt the engine was very torquey with low turbo lag and was quite happy. He also drove an Evoque but felt it to be 'girly'! But I agree - for the money, not bang for the buck. However, it ticked his requirements I guess. Oh, the car would be used by one person most of the time.

Quote:
Taking cars like a Land Rover off-roading might be a possibility but it isnt something you'd want to do.
D Himan's relative won't be going off-roading anytime soon also the E-Class would not have even been on the list in that case.
The roads to his ancestral village are horrendous. With the monsoons, it becomes worse. I guess the Landy will see its share of abuse. A trip to Leh is planned. Oh yes, he didn't bother with a sedan after the E. ML, he felt, in his words, was 'too big'. This was a SUV his wife could also drive comfortably (drives a brio AT now) since visibility was great. Incidentally, the ML was within his budget.

In all, I guess it's a heart-over-mind decision like a true car junkie, so I'm happy for him. Will keep the forum posted on how the Landy's doing!

Last edited by d_himan : 20th March 2014 at 20:21.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I'm surprised the Freelander costs so much. Its made in India and was till recently advertised as a 35 lakh vehicle. According to information available on the net, there is a new Freelander around the corner, so you might want to wait for the new one or get meatier discounts on this one
I checked the carwale on-road and was surprised myself! Yes, agree, I personally wouldn't pay so much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks