Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:29   #1
BHPian

SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum

A big shout-out to Bijoy B S for sharing these pictures of the 4WD Duster. Bijoy spotted the Duster 4WD in Trivandrum, Kerala and the car looked production ready, with temporary registration plates fitted on it. The Duster 4WD's launch is around the corner.

SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum-1_resized.jpg

Renault already makes the 4 wheel drive variant of the Duster at its Chennai factory for export markets. The Duster's 4WD version sold in the UK comes with what Renault terms as an 'intelligent 3-mode all-wheel drive system'. The three mode 4WD was developed using Nissan's technology, and the different driving modes can be chosen via a rotary switch on the dashboard. Interestingly, boot space on the 4WD version is reduced to 408 L (compared to 475 L on the 4x2 version).

SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum-duster4x4.jpg

The part-time 4WD system operates in the following modes

2WD: Engine torque sent to front wheels only, will ensure that fuel consumption is acceptable in city driving.

AUTO: Engine torque automatically distributed to all four wheels only when required. Provides best grip in all types of road conditions. Best used during heavy rains or if snow, mud or ice are encountered.

Lock Mode: Used for rough terrain at speeds less than 80 kph. Engine torque is provided continuously to all four wheels.

SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum-2_resized.jpg

Renault could charge a premium in excess of a lakh for the Duster 4WD. The nearest competition is from the Mahindra Scorpio & Tata Safari, both of which are more serious body-on-frame 4x4 SUVs with a low ratio transfer case.

The Duster has been Renault's sole success in India, having sold 28,497 units in the last 6 months alone.

Related Link

Renault Duster Official Review

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2013 at 13:12.
Redline6800 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks to Bijoy B S for sharing!
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not so convinced about it! Why would a Duster 4x4 sport a Trivandrum temp number? Since the factory is in Chennai, should NOT it have TN plates, even if it is testing in Trivandrum? Also are we sure this is NOT some enthusiastic owner who fabricated a 4WD drive sticker?

Sorry for these questions, but I am skeptical!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd March 2013 at 14:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good find!

@ swift; the sticker looks very original. And its known that the launch is nearing.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP! Renault's 4WD Duster spotted in Trivandrum-143319.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am not so convinced about it! Why would a Duster 4x4 sport a Trivandrum temp number? Since the factory is in Chennai, should NOT it have TN plates, even if it is testing in Trivandrum? Also are we sure this is NOT some enthusiastic owner who fabricated a 4WD drive sticker?

Sorry for these questions, but I am skeptical!
It's a production car and is sold to someone (was delivered on 11 February). Also he has booked a fancy number KL-01-BK-6226. This is all info from the MVD records available online.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd March 2013 at 16:51. Reason: Good info for discussion, but lets leave the persons name/details out of it. Thanks :)
BuildUpGypsy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpGypsy View Post
It's a production car and is sold to someone....
And how did he manage to lay his hands on it?

I googled his name and found him to be the MD of a company in Trivandrum. If someone knows him, ask him how he got one and then ask him if he has a job for me!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd March 2013 at 16:52. Reason: Quoted post edited. Lets leave the persons name/details out of it. Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:17   #7
BHPian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't red plates with white text the code for manufacturers temp. regn? And yellow plate with red text for individuals?
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
A big shout-out to Bijoy B S for sharing these pictures of the 4WD Duster...the car looked production ready...Interestingly, boot space on the 4WD version is reduced to 408 L (compared to 475 L on the 4x2 version).
As JK Das pointed out, that 4WD sticker appears to be genuine and this must be perhaps one of the first 4x4 Dusters sold in the country.

The boot space is reduced to accommodate the changed rear suspension with rear wheel drive axles. Incidentally, the 4x4 Duster has the ESP option in other countries.

The 4x4 has been reviewed as having a decent mud-plugging ability.
Old 28th March 2013, 16:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good find!

@ swift; the sticker looks very original. And its known that the launch is nearing.
haha i saw a Duster with this sticker some time ago, and I laughed to myself saying 'look at these fools. they will put any sticker on an SUV. The duster doesnt even have a 4x4 in India!'.

Now that I read this thread, it may be a genuine one! Really!?
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

There may be a possibility that the sticker is procured from abroad.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post

haha i saw a Duster with this sticker some time ago, and I laughed to myself saying 'look at these fools. they will put any sticker on an SUV. The duster doesnt even have a 4x4 in India!'.

Now that I read this thread, it may be a genuine one! Really!?
My friend checked with Cochin dealer and they confirmed that 4x4 is still not out or available.
Old 28th March 2013, 20:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Before any new variant of a vehicle can be registered in a state, manufacturer needs to get RTO approval for that variant. This vehicle is not a customer vehicle as red Temp plates are not given to customers. This is most likely a manufacturer vehicle with temp KL plates taken for RTO approval. This probably means that 4x4 duster will be launched shortly.
Old 29th March 2013, 13:09   #13
AVT
BHPian

If its true, then this 4x4 version might be a competent offroader with a decent ground clearance and being on the lighter side on both the weighing scale and the pockets!
Plus i have full faith in nissan's 4wd system, they are always a gem.
Old 29th March 2013, 14:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Before any new variant of a vehicle can be registered in a state, manufacturer needs to get RTO approval for that variant...
The sole reason for all my confusion! How did they overcome this, if indeed the customer bought a production version. And why a preference to one customer when the company has NOT even officially declared the launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...This vehicle is not a customer vehicle as red Temp plates are not given to customers. This is most likely a manufacturer vehicle with temp KL plates taken for RTO approval. This probably means that 4x4 duster will be launched shortly.
In Kerala, customers can run a brand new car on temp plates for a max 2 weeks before it's registered. So it's NOT uncommon. On the other hand, in Bangalore (and a lot other cities), even a new car has to be shod with a proper number plate after registration from day 1.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Only if the axles were photographed
On real 4wd Dusters, is the sticker similar to the one shown here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks