Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 15:54   #31
BHPian

Was waiting for this report since the mid week of march. I was curious as to how are the manufacturers taking on the current scenario, news is grim no surprise there. There are a lot of reasons for that but that will be the manufacturers concern.

I'm looking forward as to how will manufacturers respond to a slow economy? Will they wait it out or will they introduce something new?

I'm still surprised of VW's Polo, handsome car with an 3cylinder engine that has a gruff note to it add to that a hefty price tag! This is eating into its sales, leave alone the a$$ stories that haven't gone well.

Toyota smiles away as usual. They have the indomitable Innova and the hard hitting Fortuner both which are stellar products of their genre, there will always be people who need people movers and people who love SUVs these cars fit their bill and are respected for their toughness and built to last attitude.

Honda amaze will cause a stir in the market can't wait for the next few months to see how the amaze will play it out.

Last but definitely not the least Maruti. They seem to have a tough time ahead. I wish the swift was priced lower then there would have been more takers for it (I'm talking of the people who look at the paint quality and bumpers that seem to cave in easily etc) Looks like Maruti will have a tough year ahead specially with their current line of products when most manufacturers are playing catch up now.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Underpowered,Old,taxi image,pricey,minivan,bland looks,less features, this Is what people say but the numbers speak for themselves 8400+ innova's!!!that is amazing and the more powerful, feature-rich xylo not even selling half this. Truly innova deserves to be the king in this segment,8 years later still has spunk to woo the crowds in.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 15:59   #33
BHPian

Re: March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I see 2552 vehicles listed under Amaze...
Where does these numbers come from?
Chuchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 15:59   #34
BHPian

Swift and Dzire's performance is amazing, nearly 40,000 units sold between them!

Alto, Wagon R and ertiga posting strong numbers as usual.

Good month for Toyota, Innova doing 8000+ and Etios, liva posting strong numbers, however this could be pushing of new models at dealer end and good schemes on outgoing ones. (This sales figure is a primary sales and not secondary sales , i guess)

Sail and Sail Uva starting to pick up.

Tata's are on the way out, this facelift business won't do any more. They need to get out with some freshly designed cars soon.

Duster changed reynault's fortune for the better.

Pulse sold more than micra!! Get the facelift out soon, Nissan.

Competition is getting hotter and hotter, Manufacturer's would need to bring in newer and better models at a value price sooner than before. Product life cycle would get shorter. Better for the consumers!
Old 4th April 2013, 16:00   #35
MYB
BHPian

Better late than never! Thank You GTO for the report. Crisp and witty. Was waiting for this from the 1st of the month.

Somehow I feel Hyundai needs to throw an ace into the market or else its set to follow Tata into downfall in sales.

Toyota seems to have done the marketing bit well and things are reflecting in the numbers.

Honda has bounced back and is sure to continue to do so with all the hype surrounding Amaze.

Maruti is the rockstar, as always.

Nothing much exciting about others though.

BTW we are all waiting for that Sail Sedan review. Is it ever gonna come?
Old 4th April 2013, 16:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
How time has changed. Not long ago Tata was battling for no 2 spot with Hyundai. Now soon they have to fight for no 6 or 7 spot. They have to blame themselves only for this. They need to look beyond Indica / Indigo now. There quality is really pathetic in some areas. Do something soon Tata. Else people will say TATA to you.
That is so true. Feels sad that an Indian manufacturer which deserved better treatment, at least in India lies in this state. But on the other hand, its also a clear signal to the manufacturers that if you treat us the way you do, we will give it back to you. Tata must do something about their TASS. It makes no sense that a sedan is serviced at the same service center by the same service guys who serve the cabbies & transporters. A separate facility with a changed attitude is the call of the hour which cannot be ignored; else Tata may have to look at even poor statistics. It requires a lot of investment, but there is no point making new customers (even if they come) when the old ones lose faith in you.

It' s a highly competitive market now and every bit & penny counts in this situation. One can live with a bad plastic on the dashboard, but not with the 'kam chalao' attitude of the service centers. Something that all manufacturers must take care of.

Last but never the least, as always a crisp report & analysis by GTO. Thanks.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th April 2013 at 16:07.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Chevrolet Sail twins have picked up substantially month on month , while they might not necessarily have the numbers that GM might have hoped for , glad to see that the cash counter has started ringing for GM with these 2. Also , i wonder how much positive impact the reduction of prices for the UVA had on its sales.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
These are dealer dispatch number and not the actual sale figure. This is always the case with the monthly sale numbers
crazyro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:28   #39
BHPian

Finally free from ban!

The monthly sales are really good considering it was overall a dismal year.

For Toyota, Mahindra, Renault, even better than March 2012.

46K dispatches based on the Swift platform . Maruti is probably laughing all the way to the bank. But that's too many similar cars on the road.

Hope the Amaze can really amaze (or rather shock) Maruti, will probably know within 6 months.

All the best to TATA. They need a NEW car to revive fortunes. Period.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Yes. But what could be the reasons?
  • The novelty factor has died down
  • Duster has certainly eaten in to XUV's territory
  • Some potential W6 buyers waiting for the Top end Ecosport
  • The official recall announcement for XUV must have given a negative publicity in addition to already existing niggles related buzz.
  • Not any more a VFM product or more VFM options on cards [subjective]
At the same time the not so new workhorses, Scorpios and Innovas still going consistently strong.
I pondered on this too for a while. One of the other reasons is that there is no AT option. It was one reason why we dropped the XUV from our consideration list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
It must be the bookings from the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hope the Amaze can really amaze (or rather shock) Maruti, will probably know within 6 months.

All the best to TATA. They need a NEW car to revive fortunes. Period.
I really hope the Amaze can give serious competition to Maruti. Lest they get complacent.
Also I never really liked the Dzire after they shortened its rear end. (Looks like an abomination - no offence to any folks)

Regarding Tata, launching the Aria didn't seem to help. Like someone has mentioned above it's a new attitude they require and not a new car.

Last edited by EagleEye : 4th April 2013 at 16:36.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

How come OMNI and Bolero keep selling in good numbers?

Is Bolero selling well due to Dabbang effect?

Omni , can Maruti bring a AC version soon?
How much are the sales for CNG version of OMNI compared to petrol ones?
Old 4th April 2013, 16:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
These are dealer dispatch number and not the actual sale figure. This is always the case with the monthly sale numbers
But the booking for Amaze were opened just a day back.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is so true. Feels sad that an Indian manufacturer which deserved better treatment, at least in India lies in this state. But on the other hand, its also a clear signal to the manufacturers that if you treat us the way you do, we will give it back to you. Tata must do something about their TASS. It makes no sense that a sedan is serviced at the same service center by the same service guys who serve the cabbies & transporters. A separate facility with a changed attitude is the call of the hour which cannot be ignored; else Tata may have to look at even poor statistics. It requires a lot of investment, but there is no point making new customers (even if they come) when the old ones lose faith in you.

It' s a highly competitive market now and every bit & penny counts in this situation. One can live with a bad plastic on the dashboard, but not with the 'kam chalao' attitude of the service centers. Something that all manufacturers must take care of.

Last but never the least, as always a crisp report & analysis by GTO. Thanks.

Regards,
Saket
I only disagree with the part in bold. Toyotas don't have separate lanes for yellow and white boards. What matters is really the service and I believe that this is where the TASS is genuinely going wrong. As I take the company cab, which is almost always Indica, I get to understand that except for the free service, the drivers rarely take them to TASS. They always go to their Jugaad service centers. I don't think the taxi-drivers either rate TASS highly.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:42   #44
BANNED

Thanks GTO and team, for the much awaited report.

Just one question: doesn't the CKD export numbers are included in the sales numbers? The reason why I am asking this is: Ertiga sells around 5K units per month in Indonesia, and they are exported from India as CKD. These numbers don't seem to be reflected here.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But the booking for Amaze were opened just a day back.
As per reports most dealers already have the cars in their stockyard. This might explain the number.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks