Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 23:49   #76
BHPian

Re: March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

It is for the last 3,4 quarters, that these Indian car makers are struggling to cope with the rest of the competitors.

Its also amazing to see that XUV 500 is losing its sheen to the Duster.

The Suv/Muv segment is where the real competition is taking place, and we can see that Ertiga is slowly advancing in the race.

Can somebody have the idea about the sale pattern of Innova G version Vs Vx model?
Old 6th April 2013, 09:51   #77
BHPian

Couldn't agree more regarding your comment on Tata Motors. To the layman it would appear that something is seriously wrong since the last few months but its really their past mistakes in product development,marketing and quality that are hurting them dearly.
Their plight saddens me. Here's a company that can do wonders with the kind of resources that they have. But none of their products right since the Sumo Grande have clicked. Clearly shows loads of deep routed problems in the organisation. Carl Slym has a tough job on his hands.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:21   #78
BHPian

IMHO, TATA might be able to make a come back if the do a rejig of their product line - read new products and not just plastic surgery.

With respect to XUV, surprised to see the numbers fall. A few months back I was wait listed for a TD and now I have multiple folks from bangalore who can deliver within 10 days!!

Renault, rightly pointed out in the report is riding on it's one product wonder. The bubble might burst with the ecosport and perhaps with the cheaper xuv (if launched)
Old 6th April 2013, 15:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

March was good for Maruti, Mahindra and Toyota.
The real test comes after Honda gets the much needed production capacities to meet the demand that Amaze is gonna get. Till then, the Dzire should still sell decent numbers.

And I really feel that Amaze is going to carve out sales from
Dzire
Etios
Sunny
City
Vento
Rapid &
even the Verna
Old 6th April 2013, 17:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The vintage Ambassador and 20+ lakh Pajero Sport are doing well for their respective market positions.
Wonder who are the majority buyers of these 500+ Amabassodors? Taxis in Kolkatta? Governments (State/central). For some reason many believe that Amabassodor is a completely INDIAN car and has become a National symbol (while we all know it is based on Morris Oxford). Ideally Tata Manza should replace Ambassodor in Government offices (Indian+Ecomomical+Robust etc).
Old 6th April 2013, 20:31   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Wonder who are the majority buyers of these 500+ Amabassodors? Taxis in Kolkatta? Governments (State/central). For some reason many believe that Amabassodor is a completely INDIAN car and has become a National symbol (while we all know it is based on Morris Oxford). Ideally Tata Manza should replace Ambassodor in Government offices (Indian+Ecomomical+Robust etc).
Amabassador has shut down it's Hind Motor factory in West Bengal. So where from are these 500+ Ambys coming into the market?

Regarding Amby vs Manza, don't quite agree. Amby, if fully loaded, is by far the most comfortable car, provided you are not driving it yourself.
Old 6th April 2013, 22:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Amby, if fully loaded, is by far the most comfortable car, provided you are not driving it yourself.
I agree about the comfort part. Such plush ride is unmatched even on modern luxury cars (and this is with leaf springs )
Old 6th April 2013, 22:31   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Some parts of india still love amby. E.g. taxi drivers in kerala, west bengal etc. Also some state govt are still buying amby (even though number is less)
Old 7th April 2013, 07:37   #84
BHPian

Thank you GTO for the report as always.

I think this a wake-up call for manufacturers who are increasing the prices of cars every month without adding any value in the car. A case in point being XUV. There is nothing in XUV which warrants a price rise like that and reality is just catching up.

Will Amaze dent into Dzire figures next month or will eat into Honda City share?

April is surely going to be interesting.
Old 7th April 2013, 08:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Honda can make only 10K cars per month - is this true?
Then Maruti doesnt seem to worry much.. There is more than enough space for Dzire and Amaze to co-exist comfortably (if need be - at the cost of others).

If the 10K number is true, then expect a lot of waiting periods..
Old 7th April 2013, 13:59   #86
BHPian

Maruti's sales will affect only in metros or cities to an extent, but come countryside and small town Maruti is the favorite and leader because of their unbeatable service network.
Old 7th April 2013, 14:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
IMHO, TATA might be able to make a come back if the do a rejig of their product line - read new products and not just plastic surgery.
I wonder whats cooking at TML R&D.. They are facing their worst times ever. Cant help but feel sorry for them, as the Vista/Manza deserves better numbers. But its very evident that they are not able to compete effectively now. The competition is offering better products and price is not a big differentiator these days. TML are not very nimble too and the product refreshes will take time, new launches will take forever. Take the case of Storme - what were they thinking?? Come on..

I hope they turnaround soon, but dont think its possible anytime soon.
Old 7th April 2013, 21:57   #88
BHPian

Tata needs a revolution to regain what's lost. I was a Tata customer and have first hand experience of their sales, after sales, and 'difficult to sell one in used car market' experience. Clearly they need a complete brand reimaging. A leaf from Royal Enfield may help them!!
They are currently competing in almost all segments, and struggling across all segments. Every time I look at nano, I love it, but I can never see that as a full time primary car. For me, nano is a good 2nd car in family for daily chores. But how many can afford a 2nd car for family chores, a scooty or activa can do it well. So, clearly it isn't a replacement for 2 wheeler, something Tata proclaimed during its launch.
I loved manza for what it offered at that price point, but it came with several niggles like, bad music system, worst plastics, very-bad body roll, poor service etc.. Finally when I sold, I incurred over 50 percent loss in under two years (BTW, I owned a maruti for 7 years and lost less than 50 percent cost) . Uff, it was a nightmare. Please read my ownership review and long term reviews to get finer details.
My company invested in 4 arias (to replace aging innovas), and one of the 4 had almost all parts replaced under warranty except the engine, suspension, tyres, battery and body shell. The amount of frustration dealing with after sales resulted in replacing all 4 with new innovas!!! Tata has not miles, but light years to go to gain what they lost. Myself and our company has decided not to invest in Tata anymore. That's almost 5 cars straight away, plus all the 100s of cars they lost due to our bad mouthing... I'm sure there are hundreds of satisfied Tata owners, but there are thousands of dissatisfied ones as well.
harishpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 10:33   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Tata needs a revolution to regain what's lost. I was a Tata customer and have first hand experience of their sales, after sales, and 'difficult to sell one in used car market' experience. Clearly they need a complete brand reimaging. A leaf from Royal Enfield may help them!!
They are currently competing in almost all segments, and struggling across all segments. Every time I look at nano, I love it, but I can never see that as a full time primary car. For me, nano is a good 2nd car in family for daily chores. But how many can afford a 2nd car for family chores, a scooty or activa can do it well. So, clearly it isn't a replacement for 2 wheeler, something Tata proclaimed during its launch.
I loved manza for what it offered at that price point, but it came with several niggles like, bad music system, worst plastics, very-bad body roll, poor service etc.. Finally when I sold, I incurred over 50 percent loss in under two years (BTW, I owned a maruti for 7 years and lost less than 50 percent cost) . Uff, it was a nightmare. Please read my ownership review and long term reviews to get finer details.
My company invested in 4 arias (to replace aging innovas), and one of the 4 had almost all parts replaced under warranty except the engine, suspension, tyres, battery and body shell. The amount of frustration dealing with after sales resulted in replacing all 4 with new innovas!!! Tata has not miles, but light years to go to gain what they lost. Myself and our company has decided not to invest in Tata anymore. That's almost 5 cars straight away, plus all the 100s of cars they lost due to our bad mouthing... I'm sure there are hundreds of satisfied Tata owners, but there are thousands of dissatisfied ones as well.
Completely true. I believe Tata must stick to 3-4 products at the most.
A Nano in the A segment, Vista in the B segment, a Manza in the C segment and at the max an Aria and Storme in the SUV segment.
Indigo/cs, Sumo, Grande can be retired.

Get their fittings right, the quality of material used is really nice, its the way they are screwed together which is a problem, some cars come out nice, some tacky, this needs to be fixed asap
They excel in the look, the road presense, ride quality and paint quality departments, maybe quality control should take some learnings from engineering, paint booth etc on how to give class leading quality.

Maintain a common parts inventory, for example Vista until recently came with a center instrument control vs Manza's conventional one. They must share everything as far as possible like the SX4/Dezire/Swift. Likewise Safari and Aria must be similar in interiors, under body, mechanicals and must only be differenciated by bodyshell. This will lead to standardization, quality improvement and cost savings.

Try and be in segments which give maximum profits for a while until sales pickup. If it means dropping Nano sales, so be it.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:19   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

1: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

2: A big shout-out to parrys for preparing these beautiful charts & graphs!
First of all this is a great thread.

Secondly i want to Congratulate team BHP here. One of my friends has recently joined Mahindra group company. He visited Mahindra chakan plant where XUV & other cars gets manufactured. He has already heard of Team-BHP from my mouth many times. But he was surprised to hear the same from some of the Mahindra guys. Many guys in Mahindra follow T-BHP. They also refer T-BHP for many things. They follow this thread keenly to get the market trend. They use T-BHP data for their analysis as well. They said they are very happy to see all the data accurately & in usable manner very early for every month. SIAM is also not able to provide such data. Not to mention, My friend is soon joining T-BHP

Congratulations once again to all moderators & T-BHP. Keep the good work going. Many more happy miles to go.
aniketi is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks