Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 16:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
and they are exported from India as CKD. These numbers don't seem to be reflected here.
They are exported as sub assembly kits but many parts are added as local content in Indonesia to complete the assembly, hence it cannot be added to the export numbers!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:12   #47
BHPian

XUV5OO decline is clearly the story for the month. Looks like the Duster has hit M&M where it hurts but kudos to M&M because they seem to be responding with some speed (with the news of the barebones XUV) unlike the other Indian SUV manufacturer.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:17   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I only disagree with the part in bold. Toyotas don't have separate lanes for yellow and white boards. What matters is really the service and I believe that this is where the TASS is genuinely going wrong. As I take the company cab, which is almost always Indica, I get to understand that except for the free service, the drivers rarely take them to TASS. They always go to their Jugaad service centers. I don't think the taxi-drivers either rate TASS highly.
The point is that a person driving or being chauffeured in a sedan expects things to be done in greater details and is finicky with finishing job rather than only getting the toys working...while it hardly matters for the cabbies. As TASS until recently & even now deals with too many such people & mostly commercial vehicles, the service persons hardly bother to go into such fine details. I stress on the commercial vehicles word because major percentages of the Indica, Indigos etc. are taxis & not to mention the sumos & safaris. No offence meant to the owners but that's a fact.

Also, rarely the rich guys driving the SUVs have the time to analyse service centers. If a problem arises, the rich change cars, while middle class changes service centers!

Coming back to the point, if Tata can handle this issue with the current service set up, then its well & good. Saves them the money & the day but sadly this should have been happened by now. They are selling passenger vehicles for last 16 years now.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th April 2013 at 17:23.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:18   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
They are exported as sub assembly kits but many parts are added as local content in Indonesia to complete the assembly, hence it cannot be added to the export numbers!
That means for CKD exporters, the actual production numbers are higher than what we see here?
Old 4th April 2013, 17:19   #50
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share.

Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Lots of people thinks that Amaze will affect Dzire sales. Many cars came but didn't fight with Maruti's successful products. Eon came but couldn't fight with Alto. Liva, Figo, Polo etc all came but Swift is doing very well as usual. Similarly after Amaze is launched, Dzire will not be affected that much. Others like Etios, Verito, Verna, their own City etc will get affected more. Lets see how it goes God bless competition.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:50   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Many cars came but didn't fight with Maruti's successful products. Eon came but couldn't fight with Alto. Liva, Figo, Polo etc all came but Swift is doing very well as usual. Similarly after Amaze is launched, Dzire will not be affected that much. Others like Etios, Verito, Verna, their own City etc will get affected more. Lets see how it goes God bless competition.
Can we safely assume that Maruti has something for every one in the passenger car market? Is this where other manufacturers are lacking? Maruti has 2-3 options in almost every price bracket like Alto and its so many siblings which can look & behave entirely different from each other near the 3 lac category, then there is the A star, Ritz, Swift, wagon R, Estillo etc. within the 3-5 lac category. Then there is the D'zire, SX4, Kizashi. Now it has Ertiga. That's quite a decent portfolio of cars. Definitely, more focused on the A & B segments than the C segment but this is actually where most of the buyers are. And this class being a risk-averse class, prefers to go the Maruti way, as it is time tested & reliable.

However, other manufacturers like Hyundai have Eon, probably the only car which can be termed as its A segment but still fairly expensive than Maruti's 800cc versions. Again Hyundai has only the i10 which competes with the Swift head on. So, there is a big gap missing a lot of prospective customers who are left with no option rather than going for a car made by Maruti. i20 is again a great car, but with its prices zooming even well over the average C segment car is a big turn off for the Indian consumer. Hope it's not another Honda Jazz in the making.

Again, Tata IMO has grossly misplaced the Nano, but I think they cannot help it. Nano is no more the promised a lakh rupee car, its well over 2 lacs now. Slightly more infusion of cash brings the purchaser right into the Alto category. Risk averse buyers , as this segment is know to be, then go for the Alto. But Tata cannot help it because probably further cutting the prices for the Nano may not be possible. After the Nano, Tata has various versions of Indica, remembering all is not humanly possible I guess. Confused customers (or company?) Then in the C segment they have Indigo & Manza. Manza is not a bad car in anyway, but striking resemblance to Indica/ Indigo does not help. Surely Tata needs to think away from the Indica/ Indigo platform.

Fiat has a great car under its belt: The Punto, but seriously speaking, Fiat probably does not wants to be in straight competition and should be reasonably happy with the things rolling slowly & smoothly.

Most of the other manufacturers like Honda, Skoda, Toyota, VW, etc. are far from being a Mass market manufacturers and should be happy serving the niche. Hence, they cannot be No. 1 in sales anytime in near future.

That's my take on the Indian Car Scene. How about you guys?

Last edited by saket77 : 4th April 2013 at 18:07.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:52   #53

The C2 segment has seen an incredible tussle over the last few months. Similar churning is seen in the utility segment. I'm not sure of the reasons. Is it the marketing tussle?
Old 4th April 2013, 18:07   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which is the most consistent performer in the market? Any guesses? Its Hyundai Sonata. Last 6 months its selling exactly 20 units Is there any supply constraints or Hyundai just happy with 20 numbers? .
Actually, 20 is a sort of a "forced sale" on dealers. If there is no forced sale, you may not even see 20 sales.

Quote:
Lots of people thinks that Amaze will affect Dzire sales. Many cars came but didn't fight with Maruti's successful products. Eon came but couldn't fight with Alto. Liva, Figo, Polo etc all came but Swift is doing very well as usual. Similarly after Amaze is launched, Dzire will not be affected that much. Others like Etios, Verito, Verna, their own City etc will get affected more. Lets see how it goes God bless competition.
Toyota could have upset Maruti, but they launched two scooters disguised as cares. The diesel liva does not even have a tachometer. There does not exist a top variant.
However, Amaze is nicer when it comes to interiors. If Honda does proper pricing, it can become a 10K seller with ease.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 19:13   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For me, the biggest surprise for the month is the Fluence – impact of the new advt. campaign maybe?
It could be the Duster effect too. The success of the Duster, has propelled Renault as a credible manufacturer in the mind of the car buyer. Where earlier people would give the Fluence a skip, today they are willing to take a look at the Renault option. The Fluence was always a capable car. The car has got presence and as I understand, its got class leading ride quality.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 19:45   #56
BHPian

Fluence is a really nice car sans typical French quirkiness in some areas. After all it is a killer combination of Ride and handling. Duster price is increased steadily. Silently Renault is making hey when the sun signs.

I'm tired of wondering how the same case is applicable for Innova. No offence. But seriously overpriced IMHO. Especially when considering the break even of the toolings.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:48   #57
BHPian

Two Indian Manufacturers started out on the perilous journey of making and selling personal automobiles, Tata and Mahindra. And what a difference there has been in their fortunes! Mahindra have literally worked their way up the ladder simply by bringing the right products to the market; products having the right pricing, power, reliability and most importantly desirability parameters. The erstwhile king of the rural segment has taken the urban market by storm and how! The Scorpio, XUV and the Rexton, all are products that the markets wants. On the other hand we have Tata. From once being the second or third from the top, they fighting a losing battle to avoid being at the same position from the bottom! They HAVE to realize that just their countrymen like it "cheap" only when the adjective applies to pricing, not when it applies to "quality". Please improve your quality, reliability and desirability, Tata, else the writing is already on the wall.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post

I'm tired of wondering how the same case is applicable for Innova. No offence. But seriously overpriced IMHO. Especially when considering the break even of the toolings.
OT:
Well let me try to explain, when the qualis was launched people were aghast as to how Toyota could sell a huge" tiffin box ",as a car, but over a period of time it proved itself to be a winner and justified it's price and features(rather the lack of it).
Same applies with the innova it won over people with it's peace of mind ownership! period. It also proved itself to be worthier than its predecessor.
This also where the so called Toyota reliability&'Q' stepped in. Also Toyota has been steadily improving such a brilliant product. Heck!! When we bought our '09 facelift innova we settled for the GX because we were not able to digest the 2.5 lakh premium the VX was carrying,but now after 3 years and 4 months we love our innova so much that we feel bad that we missed out on buying the VX.
Oof!!!!(that is a lot to type)
BOTTOMLINE: People don't mind paying the premium for the peace of mind on offer and trust me as a innova owner it is a lot!!!
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO - PRemier Rio is not being tracked in this report. Any special reason why this is omitted ?
Old 4th April 2013, 21:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Drop in the sales of XUV500 is surprising, i feel its only a temporary dip. Now that Mahindra plans a cheaper variant, the sales will definitely pickup and i feel Duster is surely going to take a hit when that happens. I am curious to see how Honda prices the Amaze, and also the buyers reaction. Amaze sure will get into the top 10 for sure in the next sales chart but i doubt if it can dethrone Dzire still.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks