Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 00:08   #76
BHPian

Re: May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Another awesome analysis 'GTO'... and thanks to 'Parrys' those are hell lot of data collected in the charts which are speaking volumes..

*Interesting derivations and Lessons learnt here -
-Dezire Success Story: Reducing waiting period really helps, and when you get those booking numbers counting, be ready with the strategy to supply the demand on time..
-Diesel Vs Petrol: No matter the speculations on Diesel falling to Petrol, all those theories on diesel hikes and its after effect, Indians are driven by the FE ('Displaying on the pumps' and 'Consumption Of the cars'). Fuel savings is the 'Driving factor'
-Amazing Honda: Thats diesel power giving a 'value add' and winning applaud, owing the much awaiting 'Honda Diesel engine'; and innovative design proved sweet cold icing on the hot cake.

*My Watchlist -
-Ford EcoSport Sales- worth watch owing to EcoBoost technology, and sensible market pricing.
-Datsun - for its offerring? at predicted low pricing, lets see if it can do wonders
-EcoBoost Vs Tsi Engine Performance
-VW auto-tranny - The DSG story ahead
-Skoda A.S.S. improvement stories
Old 7th June 2013, 10:41   #77

While Amaze has done extremely well in challenging times, it has had little impact on Dzire volumes in recent months. However two things -

Given the fact that Dzire historically had a huge waiting list and is now avialble off the shelf, there is bound to be some pent up demand. Not sure if Dzire will be able to maintain its splendid performance going froward as well...

However, the ever increasing waiting period for Amaze might help Dzire, as people might not wanna wait for few months, specially when a competent competitor is available off the shelf...

Overall, happy to see people coming back to petrol. Some of the Honda dealers are quoting waiting period of 4-5months on Amaze petrol, compared to a waiting period of around 3 months on Diesel.

As per my understanding shift from diesel to petrol would be faster and more substantial in cities like Mumbai compared to smaller cities and towns.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_2580 View Post
While Amaze has done extremely well in challenging times, it has had little impact on Dzire volumes in recent months. However two things -

Given the fact that Dzire historically had a huge waiting list and is now avialble off the shelf, there is bound to be some pent up demand. Not sure if Dzire will be able to maintain its splendid performance going froward as well...

However, the ever increasing waiting period for Amaze might help Dzire, as people might not wanna wait for few months, specially when a competent competitor is available off the shelf...

Overall, happy to see people coming back to petrol. Some of the Honda dealers are quoting waiting period of 4-5months on Amaze petrol, compared to a waiting period of around 3 months on Diesel.

As per my understanding shift from diesel to petrol would be faster and more substantial in cities like Mumbai compared to smaller cities and towns.
To me also Dzire is much more better car than amaze not with-standing the touted proportionate design and diesel engine mileage. Dzire is wide bodied vehicle than Amaze has much more premiumness in cabin space and at the similar price point the only car which is near to Dzire is Chevy Sail which is the best value for money as of now.

A lot of Customers i have met in NCR have shown their displeasure for Amaze saying its much smaller car than even Dzire. I think the overall comfort level of Dzire and Sail is superior to Amaze and Amaze will have tough time convincing the customers in coming month.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:10   #79
BHPian

Thanks GTO and team, for the excellent and painstaking data collection and analysis.

Nice to see Indian car buyers maturing and being spoilt for choices. Dzire going to top position and Amaze being instantly accepted are proof of segment shift in Indian market. I think that also means Maruti has to watch its back. Its sales are falling, market share has come down, its plant making Diesel cars is shutting down for a day to balance inventory production, when there used to be ridiculous waiting list for its diesel cars. Remember, suzuki is not a major player in markets favouring big cars. 10 years down the line, the market share pie chart may look very different unless they pull up their socks.

Surprised, though not unhappy, to find Etios missing from top 20 list. Even cabbies not showing interest? One of them was telling me that its got a tendency to scratch its bottom with 4 people and luggage on board. Anyone has a similar experience? Good lesson for Toyota anyway. Innova sales falling due to the new hideous looking all chrome grill? Like a bollywood villain with silver teeth grinning. Toyota and Nissan take the cake when it come to designing the worst looking cars.

Skoda should bring Citigo quickly if it wants volume. Before VW Up! comes here. New Ocatvia looks good, but i wouldnt be surprised if they price it badly. Skoda, concentrate on value for money as in Europe, and you should do well. I think they should look at premium taxi segment real hard. Again, a cabbie confessed that Rapid seemed just right for a premium cab. He drove an Innova, which was more expensive to buy, so EMI was higher. Its fuel economy was poorer than Rapid. It lacked the premium badge that Skoda commanded in India (!!), so the fares were lower for Innova than Rapid/Sunny. Most times he carried 3-4 passengers and luggage, so it made tremendous good sense to buy Rapid as premium taxi. Skoda, thats your strength elsewhere too. Think about it. Its surprising that a company that tops customer surveys for overall satisfaction in UK consistently is viewed exactly opposite in India. Get an image makeover like Mahindra did. Your cars deserve so.

VW would be looking at collective profits from its MQB platform rather than individual car sales charts. So they would be safe. Am not so sure about Maruti. Frankly. It seems odd to say so, but Maruti should watch its back.

Nothing happening at Mitsubishi anywhere anyway, India is no different.

Ambassador needs a thorough makeover, into a modern car. It deserves so. It still has tremendous potential as a small family sedan that is attractive, frugal and practical, provided they started the process from scratch. Not modified the existing one.

Hyundai verna doing well due to exports? Its the cheapest sedan to buy in many markets, considered a value for money product unlike in India. Hyundai is a great model to follow for the likes of Tata.

Ford, introduce Fiesta hatch and compete in Polo/i 20/ Punto segment. BUT PLEASE PRICE IT WELL FOR GOD"S SAKE.

And yes, Tier II cities should be the main growth engines for manufacturers. If they dont understand that, good luck to them.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:55   #80
BHPian

Much awaited figures as usual. please do let me know if there is any way i can help for one of the next few months.

~1.9lacs cars added onto india roads. Is it possible by any chance to have the state added as well? Would give a good idea where the buying power is

Am really surprised by TOYOTAs figures. YOY everything is -ve. There was a dip in Fortuner in April and they got back with a kick in May.

Honda seems to have bumped its marketshare. Excellent example on how one product can cheer up things. Was speaking to one of the Chairman in a local honda dealership. He said there is work in progress for a City i-Dtec. that would make the 8-11lac price segment go crazy! Honda has pipped Tata by .11%.

was also surprised to see no one bought a gypsy in May!. it was like a consistent ~100 unit seller for Maruti.

Would be interesting to see how Dusters Nissan co-brother would hit its sales(as Sunny and Micra are more popular than Scala and pulse)
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 17:42   #81
BHPian

What is the issue with Ritz Sales? Suddenly 42% drop ! Is it the Amaze effect or the poor interior quality offered? Or is it that Maruti has slowed down production of Ritz?
Old 8th June 2013, 19:02   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan
As per the Fuel story chart, total numbers for Diesel seems to have shoot up three times than petrol! One more point noticed, no Petrol Laura sales in the entire month, all have preferred Diesel mills only!
Skoda has apparently stopped production of the petrol model due to poor demand. You can't get one even if you want one now!

Cant believe that such a gem of an engine couldn't attract enough buyers.
Old 10th June 2013, 04:56   #83
BHPian

[quote=GTO;3139321]
Movers & Shakers

The Gypsy 4x4 recently lost favour with the Army and has been discontinued; private customer sales supposedly aren't enough to keep the beautiful offroader in production.

Has the Gypsy been discontinued or has the production been halted to plonk in the K-Series Petrol Engine ? Somewhere on this forum there was a mention that the Indian Army is testing a Gypsy with a new engine, also according to the HT Mint article the new vehicles will be inducted into the Army from 2017.

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-gypsy-yoy.jpg

So may be the 'Zero Billing' corresponds to Engine Swap. If not it's sad that such a potent Off Roader has been discontinued. Am sure there would have been a lot of takers for a 1.3 DDiS / 1.6 VVT Gypsy.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
TATA gets what it deserves. You don't treat car buying customers like children of Truckers (no offense). But their cars are simply too un-refined and full of niggles. No matter that no other car comes close to a Tata as far as VFM goes, but the headaches it brings along was sure to jump and bite it in its rear one day.

Great data and charts. I was looking forward to this post eagerly.
Not sure why the niggles issue is brought up time and again. I own Vista VX since March last year and the only issue i faced was with gear transmission which was handled by Concorde Motors (Bangalore) without I having to go to the showroom. I have no complaints, and in fact, all my friends who have taken a ride with me (3 long drives, to TN, Kerala and AP) have all been pleasantly surprised with it's performance. I am a more than happy owner.
Old 12th June 2013, 14:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchauhan View Post
Not sure why the niggles issue is brought up time and again. I own Vista VX since March last year and the only issue i faced was with gear transmission which was handled by Concorde Motors (Bangalore) without I having to go to the showroom. I have no complaints, and in fact, all my friends who have taken a ride with me (3 long drives, to TN, Kerala and AP) have all been pleasantly surprised with it's performance. I am a more than happy owner.
One happy case cannot set the standards right. No offence but there are problems with almost every model of Tata cars in the market. More so, the after sale service barring few dealers is bad- and when I am saying bad i mean BAD.

- They overcharge many times (specially when its an accident case), will not change oil and charge you for it
- I have seen service advisors selling additional things to customers while those are not advised in manual
- They fix one and create another problem for you
- The overall quality of metal (body) used is poor as compared to other manufacturers
- Niggles right from day 1 - check with owners of Vista 90PS ZX owners, several problems with the head unit, not fixed even in past 4 - 5 months; check with owners of CR4 engines, there is some diesel filter with sensor and they generally dont have it in stock and the sensor refuses to let car start !

Last edited by i74js : 12th June 2013 at 14:07.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 14:07   #86
BHPian

Thanks GTO and team for the great analysis. Even though the thread states that all the cars that sell above 500+ is added to list, is there any way we can get the break up of Audi, Bmw, Mercedes and Volvo. I always wanted to see their numbers as their quarterly results doesn't have break up between the models.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:06   #87
BHPian

Car sales are a reflection of overall economy. The latest trend continues to be negative. Is it a sign of worrying times ahead for us and the economy?
Old 18th June 2013, 19:38   #88
BHPian

JPMorgan downgrades Maruti to 'underweight' due to negative buyer sentiment and fierce competition in cars of higher value.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13061...-underweight-0
Old 20th June 2013, 21:31   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
One happy case cannot set the standards right. No offence but there are problems with almost every model of Tata cars in the market. More so, the after sale service barring few dealers is bad- and when I am saying bad i mean BAD.

- They overcharge many times (specially when its an accident case), will not change oil and charge you for it
- I have seen service advisors selling additional things to customers while those are not advised in manual
- They fix one and create another problem for you
- The overall quality of metal (body) used is poor as compared to other manufacturers
- Niggles right from day 1 - check with owners of Vista 90PS ZX owners, several problems with the head unit, not fixed even in past 4 - 5 months; check with owners of CR4 engines, there is some diesel filter with sensor and they generally dont have it in stock and the sensor refuses to let car start !
None taken, but to be honest I don't deal in Hyperbole, as has become the wont of many Indians. Everything is either awesome or to die for. The point being, I am just narrating my experience and not a secondary observation. Also, I am not saying that this car is the best the world will ever see. My earlier point was that every car has some issues/niggles, and only Tata's get highlighted much. If you can show me someone who claims otherwise and I will show you a liar.

Moreover, just like one good experience doesn't set the bar, one or two bad ones don't either. You can check these Forums where there are multiple happy owners of Indica Vista.

Anyway, this takes it away from the purpose of this thread and I will sign off, maybe we can discuss this in a more appropriate forum
Old 20th June 2013, 21:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchauhan View Post

Moreover, just like one good experience doesn't set the bar, one or two bad ones don't either. You can check these Forums where there are multiple happy owners of Indica Vista.
You might have missed out that I too have a Tata car for past 10 years and I always get my car serviced in my presence. What I share are my personal experiances as well as inputs received from other owners when I was in the workshop.

Let's agree to disagree - the sales of MSIL Desire, Logan / Verito and Etios in Taxi segment says what I am sharing here; Tata has lost it.

Tata's are trying to work on the issues but there are many forts to guard - New models, quality, reliability, image, aftersales etc.

Yes you asked for example - am not making a statement here but people sware by Toyota (Qualis, Innova, Corolla and even for Etios)

Last edited by i74js : 20th June 2013 at 21:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks