Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 09:31   #76
BHPian

Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

Nice, a chance to meet the big man himself . Way to go GrammarNazi.
Here are the few things i would want from the next car(s) from TATA.

1. A nicely designed sedan/hatch (JLR- these guys do a great job in design, use them to your advantage).
2. Something which has neat features( i personally loved manza because it seems like such a complete package!)
3. Reliable car which shouldnt rattle while the wheels rotate.
4. Lamps/plastics/DRL and all the paraphernalia at the right price/quality as well.
5. A competent A.S.S team who know everything about the car.
6. Don't name the car as Indica/Indigo. A new car deserves a new name.
7. Turbocharging is a must. I would love to see them plonk their own engines. JLR team has the skills. Send a few of your guys over there and develop a new engine for yourself.
8. No panel gaps, please. I had enough trouble trying to remove leaves which snuck inside the panel gaps on my brother's manza. In other words, better QC please.

On a personal note: GN, if you can, do convey my regards to Karl Slym, he has been doing a good job. However, i feel extremely sad that there are other companies using our natural resources and selling us their products and reaping benefits out of it. Would love to see TATA up the game. Long way to go, but take those baby steps in the right direction and i see TATA becoming a global player(It already is, i want to see it bigger than before!).

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 11th June 2013 at 09:36.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

1. A small SUV - Similar to Jeep Wrangler. Can we call it Sierra?
2. A car similar to Tata Pixel based on Nano, but upmarket with all nice features.
3. A car based small panel van.
4. A website and tools to design custom graphics/wrap arounds for Nano. Nano should have AT and Power Steering.

Also i would like to request TM to provide purchase schemes for employees and families of Tata motors. I would like every Tata Employee and their family to own a car made by them. Most of the cars coming out from the plant after shift are Maruti's. All employees should be proud of the cars they make.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:32   #78
BHPian

Please tell him to kill the generic look. All their passenger cars look like a strech/skew job of the same design.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:33   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
If you have access to a laptop or a tablet, I would suggest collating all the high points of this thread verbatim and showing it to him. Just a PPT slide with these points as 'bubbles' would do.

Personally, Here is my 2 cents:

1.) I would request Mr.Slym to consider bifurcating strongly between yellow board and white board customers. Their commercial vehicles unit should be selling and servicing indica yellow board cars, not the passenger division. Passenger car dealerships should be exclusively devoted to selling white board cars. Over a period of time, this would immensely help how the brand is perceived. Memories of tata cars being taxis would fade away over time.

2.) New Launches. They are not going anywhere without atleast one totally fresh launch in every segment. A hatch back, a sedan and a UV. And it is imperative that these new cars don't resemble any of the current tata cars in any way (okie, they could use the 2.2 engine if they want). They should be totally fresh looking.

3.) Though it sounds cliched, a parallel effort to improve quality and customer service is critical to their success story.
Adding to my previous post,

I also wish they did a complete re-branding exercise including changing the logo or even a minimal change in the name. While there is nothing wrong with both now (logo and name), such an initiative will help change the consumer perception. They really need to change their image, and fast!
Old 11th June 2013, 17:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Just a simple suggestion from my side. Design a completely new car. It should be completely different from any of the existing or past Tata cars. Make sure its nice, attractive, VFM & quality car. Don't go fancy about it with loads of features, just put basic features which will work forever. On the side note, improve A.S.S. & train dealers on how to sell a car.

I have already posted this in one of the threads, posting it again. "Tata don't sell their cars, people buy it". So make sure you do sell your cars like other manufacturers do. Take a lesson or two from Maruti & Hyundai for this.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:59   #81
BHPian

They need to put Indica based design to bed. India need a muscle car under 10L segment and Only TATA can get us one.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
They need to put Indica based design to bed. India need a muscle car under 10L segment and Only TATA can get us one.
I completely agree. Muscle car is the only segment missing in India. Would love to see cars like Camaro, Mustang on Indian Roads. Plus if priced around 8-9 lakhs, will definitely buy without hesitation!!!
Old 11th June 2013, 18:25   #83
BHPian

A lot of insight in this thread. However, I am wondering if I am out of place when thinking that this thread should be closed untill Tata acts on at least one of them.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:58   #84
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
A lot of insight in this thread. However, I am wondering if I am out of place when thinking that this thread should be closed untill Tata acts on at least one of them.
Very valid point! Its not like owners and prospective customers have been silent since a decade about what they like and dislike in current Tata cars and what would they have preferred instead. I am also assuming that Tatas must have been listening all these years. So I don't understand these "Jaag ootha insaan" types #NextTataCar initiatives.

In fact, existing owners should ask - Before asking for ideas for next car, please let us know what have you done about our complaints and feedback collected over the last several years?

Has Tata Motors become a govt organization or a black hole where things go in, but nothing comes out?
Old 11th June 2013, 19:08   #85
BANNED

Few coins from my wallet:
1. TATA needs to come out of indica, indigo & sumo
2. Take a lesson from Force motors (G-Wagon to Gurkha evolution), can something similar be done (some low cost JLR under Tata badge)
3. Take a lesson from Mahindra (Xylo to Quanto), what they have done for compact SUV segment
4. Ensure they do step # 2, 3 before there competitors
5. Not to mention the reliability issue with their cars, My friend jokingly told 90% of the car breakdown you will see on the road will be Tata cars, very true !
Old 11th June 2013, 19:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
A new compact SUV using the Marina as a starting point. Call it the Sierra if you wish! With Significantly improved quality of interiors.

A SWB Xenon based SUV is another idea.

A Nano with 13/14 inch wheels, 2 seater and additional boot space.. use the smart for two for inspiration.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:36   #87
BHPian

TATA has tried almost all the tricks in the book, but with not much success.

Sub A segment Nano - Failure
B segment Indica - Cabbies' favourite
B + segment Vista - Undesirable
C segment Manza - Undesirable
D segment - I'd rather TATA not venture into it without correcting the errors they made all the way.

So my suggestions:

NANO - Leave it the way it is, in other words, Forget it!! We all loved Ratan Tata's vision, but sadly it did not materialise with the Indian public

A SEGMENT - Launch a proper A segment hatch, with a competitive diesel powerplant. Learn from the Nano's mistakes.

INDICA - Leave it to the cabbies. It brings volumes. If someone is alright with the Indica's quality levels, let them go buy it.

B SEGMENT - For others who find the quality levels of Indica an issue, launch an all new Vista. With no Indica in its nomenclature. Strict quality checks in place. This should be Tata's flagship model, capable of erasing all the black marks they've collected over the years.

And what about a segment first AUTOMATIC diesel hatch? Of course, the gearbox will need to be outsourced (no offence), and the quality checks as mentioned should be strict. That should be an interesting prospect!

If TATA can pull these off in the high volume segment, they can think of updating the Manza and venturing into the D segment and higher. And do try to get the people up the TATA hierarchy to read this thread, as a fellow BHPian mentioned. Listen to the public. It's never too late to act.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 11th June 2013 at 22:44.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 00:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
TATA has tried almost all the tricks in the book, but with not much success.

Sub A segment Nano - Failure
Nothing personal, just a question to (you &) others who think similarly :

Why do you think the Nano is a 'Failure'? Pls Give reasons, (citations of how it is not doing well in terms of sales are not required).

My Perspective :

One of the things I came across is the sound of the engine. Even I didn't like it at the beginning, but then things changed after a neighbour bought the Fabia. The sheer clatter it made at low revs & at city speeds made it sound terrible, no matter how rev friendly it was on the highway, the city drive was gonna be noisy. That made me realise, that the 'engine sound' I was fussing about was just a mental block created after having read too many online reviews. Its actually not as bad as its often made out to be. "Sounds like an Auto-Rick" IMO is an absolutely unfair thing to say/write. Infact the new ones are quite refined comparatively.

(Power) Steering : My dad was of the opinion that when my (now late)granny, (when in her 40's) could drive my grandfathers Austin of England, or his Std Herald (in her 50's), all even over long(100kms) & super-long(~600+kms) distances without PS, then at the age of 20 I definitely don't need PS. As I got used to it over a few weeks, I realised he was quite right. So, trust me, take a test drive and ask yourself honestly, does it really need a PS? It probably shouldn't even have one. For the kind of direct feedback I get, I'm glad it doesn't.

The Nano did catch the imagination of the people. News channels had long discussions how the Nano would clog the already traffic congested cities. Or how it'll make basic transport safer for college kids or the economically weaker sections, or hassle free for that huge car with a single passenger/driver.

It did have its moments of fame, and often still does, BUT it got delayed. Not by 1 year but almost 3! That gave society time to develop & spread contempt for what IMO, is a smart car.

The delay, although frustrating even for genuine Tata fans was not really acceptable. So much so that Ratan Tata himself taunted it saying they were thinking of naming it "Mamata or rather Despite Mamata".

I kindly request members not to Label cars as 'Failures' or 'Undesireable', not whether its fair or unfair to conclude so, but because opinions of VERY many people get affected by online reviews. As much as the post may finally say "take a test drive & decide yourself", for the imperfect creatures we humans are, we tend to develop prejudice for an object/subject even before we ourselves try it.

The TATA Nano is NOT a failure, its an engineering marvel, created by a responsible company that knows its ethics, understands people's needs and is ready to take the challenge to solve the issue.

Sorry if anyone feels that I've got carried away, but having owned one for almost since 3 years, I don't think it gets the regard it deserves.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 12th June 2013 at 00:27.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 01:06   #89
BHPian

Thanks for your words on the Nano GN.

I personally felt the same about what you have written about the Nano and the Indian Mindset.
I have driven the Nano extensively and survived an accident while driving(was hit from the rear by a swift). Came out without a scratch.

I have always recommended the Nano to my friends but sadly, most of them feel the same about it, an AC auto.

It's sad that we lock our mindset with the limited experiences of our eyes.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 01:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

There have been enough posts made already, on the need for TaMo to improve on quality. However, after owning the 2011 Vista for two years and following a friend's ownership of the Ford Figo, I feel the quality is decent, if not the best.

The current problem is the desirability factor or rather the lack of it, in their cars. To overcome it in the short term, Tata should consider the following, IMO.

Make the Vista 2014 version look different from what it is now. Take a look at what Hyundai did with the i20.

Launch the Manza CS soon, with a different face and better boot integration.

Have a decent 1.2L petrol engines producing 80 odd bhps in these two vehicles. I feel they lose a lot of petrol customers because of this. With the Diesel prices increasing the petrol car sales are bound to rise. So building competent petrol engine is a must. May be build a 1.2L version of the Nano's engine by adding two more cylinders?

Last edited by safari_lover : 12th June 2013 at 01:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks