Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 18:09   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L

Isuzu has commenced local assembly of the MU-7 SUV in India. The MU-7 will be available in BS-III and BS-IV complaint variants, priced at Rs. 22 lakh and Rs. 22.3 lakh (ex-showroom Chennai) respectively.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-mu7.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2013 at 23:02.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 20:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs

How come the price of CBU & CKD models are the same?
Old 10th December 2013, 23:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulbatta View Post
[*]Looks too large, hopefully is spacious for middle passenger and last row. Definitely longer than furtuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
there are quite a few of these here in Hyderabad. Really imposing and scary :/ unfortunately I haven't had the chance to sit in one yet
To many buyers, this is THE selling point.

A large brash SUV gives them the road presence & dominating image that they seek.

I believe this is the reason for the success of both the Endeavour and Fortuner. In both cases, the interior space and the ride quality are sub par, but those are not a deal-breakers for that type of customer.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 09:38   #34
BHPian

It's a proper 7 seater, with enough leg room for each passenger. Even the third row seems generous in legroom. The seating is comfortable, too, as read in a test drive report. And it has a gem of an engine, silent and refined. I loved the D-Max just for the engine refinement!

But the design is a concern - whether it'll stand the fight from the competition. Fortuner, Endeavour, Rexton etc are faultless designs.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:26   #35
BHPian

In my opinion this vehicle and model has "market dud" written all over it. Why?
  • Isuzu is not a well known name amongst buyers in the 22-23 lakh segment. So, it selling in numbers anywhere close to the Toyota Fortuner or the Ford Endeavour is very doubtful.
  • The model they are selling in India reminds me of the more favored Ford Endeavour, and hence runs the risk of being labelled as another Endeavour copy cat, just like the cheaper Force One (and look at how that one is selling)
If Isuzu had launched the latest model of the MU-7 SUV as seen in the following post, then it might have had a real chance in India. Or it should have been priced much lesser.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3263144
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Adding some pictures from the launch. Not much information (other than the info in Team-BHP's news article link, posted by Aditya above) was shared during the event.

Honestly, looks nice and aggressive from this angle.
Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-001.jpg

A sedate looking rear end.
Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-002.jpg

The interior. Air-conditioning knobs felt very cheap and flimsy. Kenwood music system is standard since the MU-7 only comes in one variant.
Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-interior.jpg

Isuzu say that the backseat of the MU-7 is its biggest advantage. It did feel spacious.
Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-backseat.jpg

245/70 R16 wheels look very tiny in the big wheel-well.
Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-wheel.jpg

Last edited by Stratos : 11th December 2013 at 20:40.
Stratos is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 21:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Looks good and aggressive. For a lot of folks something "different" than Fortuner would be a good enough reason to buy it. Heck, if they open a dealership in Bangalore, I will seriously take a look at it as an upgrade to my Scorp.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Dash looks like it was borrowed from the Force One. As Miel pointed out, they should have bought the MU-X and stood a fighting chance. This model will probably end up selling in single or atmost two digit numbers a month after the initial hype runs out. For the same price, I would pick the the Pajero Sport anyday.

Why would I spend 30 lakhs on the road, for outdated interiors and to sit on leaf springs at the back??

People complain about Fortuners interiors, but his one actually makes the Fortuner 4WD look Value for Money.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 08:32   #39
BHPian

I had hailed this as an airport cab in Bangkok. The wooden inserts looks worse than the pictures in real.
PhiGolden is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 09:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

22 Lakhs for this, what is Isuzu thinking. Folks tired of the Fortuner will probably go to the Pajero sport. The interiors look substandard even in pictures (its well known that it always looks better in the pics). The exterior styling is a mixed bag, apart from the frontal area, everything else is disjoint. Probably at 4-5 lakhs lower pricepoint this would find takers, but in this zone, I doubt it will find any buyers.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 10:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Launch after launch, I am kind of appalled at the audacity of some of the manufacturers to treat Indian market this way. At 22L, they don't even give ACC ? I seriously do NOT understand the market research they do before they come here. Bring some product at some prices they feel is OK and pitch those against the toppers here shamelessly without having any credibility (w.r.t Indian market) to back up.

Isuzu should have made sure they brought it in as a CKD initially itself, started the pricing from one segment lower, make sure all required infrastructure is in place to grab a good opinion & positive feedback and probably brought in another product above this and price it the way they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Adding some pictures from the launch. Not much information (other than the info in Team-BHP's news article link, posted by Aditya above) was shared during the event...
Thanks for the pics Stratos. Could we expect a review as well or no scope for that?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th December 2013 at 10:41.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 11:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

What is the need of launching such a outdated vehicle at such a premium price? Or it just happens in India? Outdated models are launched in India all the time, what manufacturer thinks about our market? Interiors are horrible when you see at the price at which it is launched. Totally low class. They need to understand that Indian market has grown and matured in last 5-10 years. Gone those days when anything from foreign manufacturer will be hit and praised by Indians. I am not sure who will buy this vehicle, may be someone who really want the exclusivity in the market
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 11:54   #43
BHPian

Oh dear. That is one ugly looking car. Those interiors belong to the dark ages.

At 23 lakh this is a joke and the only people laughing will be the Indian people.

What thought process goes behind such launches is beyond me. You launch a new product and a new brand and you want people to talk about it. The last thing you want is notoriety. They could at least have put it up at the 14 -15 lakh mark and suddenly all would have been forgiven.

Delhi was not made in a day and certainly the same can be said for everything. You want to make profits from the get go, you have to be damn competitive but this sort of dilly attitude is not going to get you anywhere.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Dash looks like it was borrowed from the Force One. As Miel pointed out, they should have bought the MU-X and stood a fighting chance. This model will probably end up selling in single or atmost two digit numbers a month after the initial hype runs out. For the same price, I would pick the the Pajero Sport anyday.

Why would I spend 30 lakhs on the road, for outdated interiors and to sit on leaf springs at the back??

People complain about Fortuners interiors, but his one actually makes the Fortuner 4WD look Value for Money.
Exactly this is what I think on the truck (its not a SUV IMO) barring the looks. This is as bad daylight robbery as the Toyota Prado @ Rs.85 lacs. I feel they should confine themselves to Asia-Pacific & Australia, where they have a small market or sort of.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:38   #45
BHPian

Is the DMAX single or dual cabin ?

I noticed a grey colour dual cabin DMAX parked outside ISUZU showroom , but all the online data and their own website seems to project the single cabin option, barring this small picture of 4-door on the website.

The test vehicle for ARAI also seems to be a single cab option.

Official: Isuzu to build MU-7 and D-Max at HM's Chennai Plant Edit: Launched @ Rs.22L-dmax.jpg

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 20th January 2014 at 11:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks