Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:21   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched

Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched-swiftrsfront3qview.jpg

Highlights:
  • Price: Rs. 24500 over regular VXi & VDi prices
  • RS 3-Piece Body Kit (Front Bumper, Rear Bumper and Roof Spoiler)
  • Black and Blue Motorsport Inspired Body Graphics
  • Black Wheel Covers
  • Blue Theme ORVMs
  • Illuminated Door Sill Plates
  • Art Leather Black and Blue Upholstery
  • Music System with CD, Aux, USB
  • RS Theme Floor Mats

Link to Full News Item

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2013 at 21:28. Reason: Adding link to our news item
Loud is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched

Hey Loud!

I am not able too see the picture clearly as I am posting this from my phone, but just going by your description, I am tempted to ask (and probably convey my thoughts too) that is this the best 'limited edition' Maruti has actually launched in a long time, probably after the Zen Steel and Carbon? IMO, the extra price justifies the offers in this limited edition. I will be curious to know what are the thoughts of other members on it.
Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd July 2013 at 22:06.
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

'RS' is supposed to stand for Rally Sport, so what stopped them from adding a VGT & bumping the power up to 90PS like Tata did for Vista? Unlike Tata, they even had the clientele who would've chosen this (i.e. economies to scale were present). Vista did that for just 20K extra.

A half hearted effort from the largest player in Indian car market.

Bumping up the power with 15" shoes IMO would've been the right way to launch an RS version. Disappointed.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 2nd July 2013 at 22:05.
GrammarNazi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:25   #4
ZMG
BHPian

It's a welcome option and the price is more than justified. I really hope the reviews of interiors come soon on team bhp. As far as the exterior goes, swift is quite a looker already, however the bumpers do give it a different look. In my opinion, Maruti should offer this option to previous owners the body kit atleast. The point is, it is bound to sell. Maruti+ good body kit+ extra money + India = customer happy. :-D
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is "the" company which is in "the" best position to get a little adventurous in its variant offering, especially with its Swift. I am told that the SX4 engine is a good fit or for that matter the 1.4 k-series from the Ertiga could have done wonders.

Would have added one warm hatch that would probably still sell much better in comparison to others. If it, did not, there was no harm, neither the car nor the engines would be specific to it.

Yet all they want to do is give us stickers, and worse of all, a RS car with black painted wheelcovers, not even alloys.
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:35   #6
BHPian

Maruti continues their tradition of making silly special editions then. Some stickers and a body kit, and wheel covers (!). The graphics are appalling, and the RS moniker is just tacky. Where is the Swift Sport?
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Swift RS with wheel covers and no ABS/Airbags!

24,500 over the VXi or VDi!? You can get these el-cheapo job done for less than 24,500Rs!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:35   #8
BHPian

I just wonder as to why does Suzuki not launch the European spec Suzuki Swift Sport rather than these mundane cosmetic-upgrades.

Power figure of around 120-130ps (Fifth Gear pitted it against the Renault Twigo and termed it as a spectacular hot hatch, very powerful)

2-doors, Xenon Headlamps and a radically different front and beautifully incorporated dual exhaust pipes.
Perfect recipe to attract performance-hungry customers and looking at the current scenario of hot hatches, it would sell quite well!
Even if charged at a premium, IMO it would give the Polo Tsi a run for its money, much more powerful and the added Maruti Suzuki reliability.

-Bhargav
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched-2012_suzuki_swift_sport_australia_030419.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched-2swiftreartracking.jpg  

Last edited by Octane_Power : 2nd July 2013 at 23:37.
Octane_Power is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I just wonder as to why does Suzuki not launch the European spec Suzuki Swift Sport rather than these mundane cosmetic-upgrades.

Power figure of around 120-130ps (Fifth Gear pitted it against the Renault Twigo and termed it as a spectacular hot hatch, very powerful)

-Bhargav
The VGT Diesel and the K14 Petrol would have sure worked wonders instead of those silly stickers/paint-job.

I wonder why Maruti is not thinking of plonking in the K14 (from the Petrol Ertiga) into the Swift, that will be one hell-of-a normally aspirated hot hatch compared to a Polo TSi GT
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2-doors, Xenon Headlamps and a radically different front and beautifully incorporated dual exhaust pipes.
Perfect recipe to attract performance-hungry customers and looking at the current scenario of hot hatches, it would sell quite well!
Even if charged at a premium, IMO it would give the Polo Tsi a run for its money, much more powerful and the added Maruti Suzuki reliability.

-Bhargav
Maruti doesn't have to put all these stuff in the Swift and kill the brand. In today's India, everyone is super happy with the existing swift. Putting all these power and glamour stuff will burden the car moneywise and customers will start thinking twice before going for it.

Swift is a Premium Hatch. It cannot, rather, should not be made into a Luxurious / Ultra Premium Hatch.

In my personal opinion, we should not compare Swift with Polo. Both have entirely different customer base.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 3rd July 2013 at 00:25.
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am tempted to ask that is this the best 'limited edition' Maruti has actually launched in a long time
Atleast it is better than the 'Swift Glam' (no offence to owners of these cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
'RS' is supposed to stand for Rally Sport, so what stopped them from adding a VGT & bumping the power up to 90PS like Tata did for Vista? Unlike Tata, they even had the clientele who would've chosen this (i.e. economies to scale were present). Vista did that for just 20K extra.
Hats Off to Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Yet all they want to do is give us stickers, and worse of all, a RS car with black painted wheelcovers, not even alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Where is the Swift Sport?
I hope it is launched in the Indian market as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Swift RS with wheel covers and no ABS/Airbags!

24,500 over the VXi or VDi!? You can get these el-cheapo job done for less than 24,500Rs!
Having seen the Karol Bagh market, here in New Delhi, I have to agree.

Quote:

-Bhargav
Maruti Suzuki, come on bring this in India,
vishalchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Maruti doesn't have to put all these stuff in the Swift and kill the brand. In today's India, everyone is super happy with the existing swift. Putting all these power and glamour stuff will burden the car moneywise and customers will start thinking twice before going for it.
First of all, I don't see how launching a performance-oriented version of the swift kills the brand.
Swift sells in decent numbers, some 14-15k/month.
And as you yourself have stated, everyone is super happy with the Swift, so why does Maruti need to launch these so called "limited editions"?

Moreover, how many of these limited editions(LE) do actually sell in noticeable numbers?
I have lost the track of how many such LEs has Maruti launched in its various models in the past few months.

And as GrammarNazi has pointed out, to call a model "RS" with just some stickers around and a new paint-scheme is just pathetic.
To call it an RS tweak the engine, adjust the suspension, do some performance mods etc. and then even if you charge 40 to 50k more than the normal version, the price is justified and there will be quite many takers.

And launching the aforementioned Swift IMHO will just to better to the image of MS cuz people will look at it not only as a "Aam-Aadmi" car but they know, even if they require a great performing car with great reliability, MS has got that too.
And this model should be sold alongside the normal Swift, I didn't say it should replace the Swift, which would result in "killing" of the brand.

As far as the comparison of the Swift and Polo is concerned, I don't know anyone who would just buy the Polo blindly without Test Driving the Swift once(this is for the base versions, not the Polo GT). So if you keep the price of the Swift Sport, in the Polo GT's territory, I just don't see a single reason why you cannot compare the two cars.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 3rd July 2013 at 01:58.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

An 'RS' model that does absolutely nothing to improve performance or dynamics in any way? Basically a bunch of decals, some accessories and some paint! What a joke!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 3rd July 2013 at 02:25.
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:35   #14
BHPian

I clicked on the link with much excitement, hoping that something under the bonnet had at least been touched. I don't know why I was kidding myself. Maruti has produced another horrid sticker and decal job!

And does the description say "wheel covers" and no ABS/Airbags? And they call this an RS version?
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:09   #15
BHPian

He he.... For Maruti, RS stands for Rally Stickers. It is nothing more than that. Black wheel covers ? I can get it painted myself. And 25K INR over the normal variant ? If they are doing one thing, they are only spoiling the Swift brand. When other manufacturers are coming up with GTs and Abarths, this is a very sad move from Maruti. But we can't blame them as long as customers are ready to take this.
DieselAddikt is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks