Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 15:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat Linea Facelift, bookings open now

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the Linea Facelift Review Thread. Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 13:06. Reason: Link to Review
Nilesh5417 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour : Fiat India Starts Testing 1.6 Multijet Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Nilesh, Thanks for the info.

Exactly what the doctor ordered and is coming at the right time. This will be a major boost to the company and sales. Wonder how will the other cars in the segment work on their strategies now. Happy spotting Pune BHPians.

OT: I would also have loved to have the Tjet engine in the Punto though.
Old 17th July 2013, 16:40   #3
BHPian

Last week i saw 2 new white Linea on my way to Magarpatta city. Both were with temp no.
All badges seems to be covered with white tape and both are diesel. As i saw black smoke puf. The cars were really fast.

It might be the same 1.6 ltr multijet.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 16:52   #4
BHPian

Does this also mean that the facelifted Linea with T-jet will be launched sooner than expected, i.e. end 2013 instead of early 2014 as mentioned by Fiat?
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Nilesh, Thanks for the info.

Exactly what the doctor ordered and is coming at the right time. This will be a major boost to the company and sales. Wonder how will the other cars in the segment work on their strategies now. Happy spotting Pune BHPians.

OT: I would also have loved to have the Tjet engine in the Punto though.
This would be interesting now.

The 1.6 MJD with the present 190mm GC would be classified as SUV for the tax purpose. Will wait and see how Fiat tackles this issue; I hope the GC will be brought back to the earlier 175mm.

Most importantly the pricing of the product has to be spot on and aggressive.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:10   #6
BHPian

The 1.6 engine is a welcome move but that facelift is ugly. I rather have the current looks.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:23   #7
BHPian

Hope this happens soon. As far as the looks are concerned, i would love to stick to the current one, new design has made the linea look like every other car in the market. The current one has a class of its own, the classic grill & what not. Lets see if fiat launches this with the classic look as an option at least.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:38   #8
BHPian

Second you on that !!
Why do they need to spoil a fantastic looking car with clean lines ? Also why that Black Panel on Rear Quarter glass? What purpose it serves? It is an eyesore !!

Also, it says both current and facelift model will be on sale together.. So one for looks other for performance Tough choice.

Better that they just plug in the new options on existing Linea.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 17th July 2013 at 18:39. Reason: updated post
Old 17th July 2013, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is great new and seems to be just what the doctor ordered, a fresh injection of power say raw BHP!

Also liked the looks in the pics posted in the link above with all those chrome lines making it more bling. The 1.6 will be the T-Jet of the diesels and should be a benchmark for the standard sedan class competing with the Ventos and Sunnys of our land.

Hope with the renewed network and sales push, these beautiful cars fall in the hands of many more prospective buyers and even cross the magical four digit mark in sales which has eluded them for a very long time.

Hope they price it sensibly and not make it just a showroom piece that does not step out burn some rubber and though slightly what if they plonk the same onto the Punto! Wow wouldn't that be a smoking hot hatch! And if they bring on an auto/ CVT box wouldn't that be a segment first? Now if wishes were horses!
Old 17th July 2013, 19:25   #10
BHPian

While this is great news from an enthusiast point of view,I am not sure just bringing in the 1.6L MultiJet will improve sales.
Reason:Fiat has to compete against a 120bhp Verna,VW Vento and the new City.And these three brands have far greater brand value in India than Fiat has currently.We should also not discount the Ecosport and the upcoming XA-Alpha from Maruti(there will be cross-shopping inevitably).

So Fiat either has to price aggressively(can they??with existing Linea becoming Linea classic) or bring in a 120bhp tune(is there one)??
Old 17th July 2013, 19:35   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a decent move (1.6 multijet II) but will need to be backed with an image makeover and interior refresh besides the exterior changes (yes we will get used to the new look as well in time if it sells enough of them.)

This will still be seen as underpowered vs. some options.

Guess the GC will be going down - Good.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This will still be seen as underpowered vs. some options.
The only car which can possibly be called more powerful than the 1.6MJD will be the Hyundai 1.6CRDi.

But I would not say so because the FIAT mill produces 300Nm of torque from as low as 1500rpm, while the Hyundai gives a lower 260Nm at a higher 1900rpm level.

The Hyundai mill does give a higher 128hp compared to the 105hp of the FIAT. That could be countered if FIAT bring in the 120hp variant of the 1.6MJD.

In any case ,the best part of any diesel engine is the huge amount of low down torque it gives. The peak power comes in at around 4000rpm, a level which in a diesel engine is pointless. Also at least the Linea will have the chassis and suspension set-up to actually use all the power and torque.

Last edited by julupani : 17th July 2013 at 20:16.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

As long as I know 1.6 will not be launched in the near future. The source of this information is not something reliable to have a discussion in T-BHP.
Old 17th July 2013, 22:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope with they equip the 1.6 Multijet engine with a new gearbox, or else the current gearbox carried over from Palio with weird choice of gears is going to rob it of performance. We do not want yet another most powerful car in the segment with the slowest performance.
Old 17th July 2013, 23:08   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I hope with they equip the 1.6 Multijet engine with a new gearbox, or else the current gearbox carried over from Palio with weird choice of gears.
Fiat India is a company known to be a laggard. They never take the initiative in bringing anything new. They command vast resources but have chosen to always wait till others get a head start and then come up with an anaemic reply. It is no surprise that they sell only a few hundred cars a month while even new comers are raking in the moolah.
They could easily have created a 10-12 lakh SUV on the Linea platform with the 1.6 MJD and beaten or at least competed with the Duster. They had a 190 mm G clearance platform begging to be worked with.
They could have come up with an MUV like the Ertiga, a mini SUV, a tiny car with the Multiair 2 cylinder and the possibilities are endless. And it is not as though they are Force Motors or some newbie with great constraints.
I wish Fiat's management would offer me a job. I am willing to work for half pay just to help them get it right. Are u listening Fiat?
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks