Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:15   #1
BHPian

Tata to launch Nano Automatic in Indonesia? Should it come here?

According to indianautosblog, Tata is planning to planning to launch an automatic nano in indonesia. They state it will be launched in indonesia and it is not confirmed whether it will come here. Do you people think it should come here? To me certainly, because many many people are first time buyers and in gridlocks an automatic is far more convenient.
MODS- searched and saw a discussion in the nano review. I decided to create a thread to discuss it.

SOURCE-http://indianautosblog.com/2013/09/t...smission-97835
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata to launch Nano Automatic in Indonesia? Should it come here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
whether it will come here. Do you people think it should come here?
With the Nano's focus changed to "Youth" now, it is quite possible that Auto will be introduced in India eventually. But the problem is Tata do not have an automatic that is readily available, that can be plonked in Nano
Old 24th September 2013, 00:11   #3
BHPian

As a first time car buyer- no, i don't think automatic would do much sense as there will be very few takers.

but for people who are looking at a second car, auto may make all the difference. But please also give power steering as i have heard at least two friends leaving this,car out jjust because of PS.
Old 24th September 2013, 01:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

From performance standpoint, is an AT a good idea?

Given that it is an under-powered engine, you have at least some control on engine response in a MT (downshift when you want better acceleration). That's going to get tedious with an AT. Forget over-taking and driving up ramps in parking lots!
Old 24th September 2013, 01:42   #5
BHPian

Automatics need a lot of finesse that cannot be expected from Tata, especially this low down the segment. I would rather see Tata working on Nano CNG & Diesel versions that would make more practical and business sense.
Old 24th September 2013, 02:15   #6

Given that it is an under-powered engine, you have at least some control on engine response in a MT (downshift when you want better acceleration). That's going to get tedious with an AT. Forget over-taking and driving up ramps in parking lots!

I feel the automatic transmission is quite misunderstood in the Indian auto market.. Just drive the A-star automatic and one will understand that it feels a lot more better ( quicker response + torque on demand + hassle free) than the impression automatic transmissions have made in the Indian mind. Depending on how quickly you slam the accelerator pedal you get an unique response of your gear shift.. suppose if i were to slam it real hard for a long time.. it takes no time to reach the last gear from the 1st.. where as slowly doing it would urge the ECU to maintain the gear for some more time unless the torque demand is met.. the flip side being always in FE and cost.
sweet_poison is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 08:51   #7
BANNED

I suspect it will be a CVT and should serve the market, esp the female first time buyer.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 08:52   #8
BHPian

Disc brakes, power steering and an automatic are features I'll be looking forward to see on the Nano, the first two being the most important for me. I certainly think the automatic version should be introduced into India as well. It would be great relief especially for someone elderly who can not or do not want to plonk 6L+ for an automatic car.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 09:01   #9
BHPian

I second Deep Bang and sgiik Sir.

It will fully serve the requirment as a second car and more for Ladies who look for convinence.
More over, the F.E sensitive might not completely vouch for it, Which is a major chunk of the first time buyers willing to go for it.

In addition to that, Tata has no auto box expertise to refine / redesign it for Indian market requirment.

But still, it would be a very good move, and also the need of the hour, seeing the delay in settling the NVH levels of 'Diesel mill' for launch.

Good Luck and best Wishes 'nano'

Regards,
Maverick79
Old 24th September 2013, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Yes, most of you are right. The nano should be given a compact turbocharger and the plonk the auto 'box. The nano is pretty underpowered and most autos are slower than their manual counterparts. ( low powered cars). And also agreeing, the nano should be upgraded. It's current position places it as a cheap car and it is time to make a fresh start again.

Last edited by 1967'stang : 24th September 2013 at 10:45. Reason: adding some points
Old 24th September 2013, 10:47   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it should come to India. We would have selected a Nano Auto instead of the i10 Auto infact. It would have been at half the price or lesser and surely would have been much more efficient than the max of 10kmpl of petrol that the i10 Auto has been giving us. Yes it is more basis but is as spacious so why not, and it does have a funky feel to it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Automatics for first time drivers is a boon. I think it is a good move if Tata manages to make a transmission that doesn't stress that puny engine anymore. Ofcourse price will be a big factor here, unless it is marginally more expensive than the manual, it won't work, IMO.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967'stang View Post
Yes, most of you are right. The nano should be given a compact turbocharger and the plonk the auto 'box. The nano is pretty underpowered and most autos are slower than their manual counterparts. ( low powered cars). And also agreeing, the nano should be upgraded. It's current position places it as a cheap car and it is time to make a fresh start again.
Have you driven the nano extensively?I have a nano and never felt it was "Underpowered" for city use.(Infact its quicker from standby than a lot of vehicles above its class).Never had any issues taking it upto 80 KM/hr.
Above that yes it feels underpowered but why would you buy a nano if speed is your concern?Plonking an auto box to nano does make sense provided the gear ratios are sorted out properly .
praveen_n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 10:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Above that yes it feels underpowered but why would you buy a nano if speed is your concern?
no, i meant usually a nano needs a slightly more powerful engine for the auto'box
Old 24th September 2013, 11:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
From performance standpoint, is an AT a good idea?

Actually gradeability in AT is better than in equivalent MT car. I own an A-Star AT. Compared to A-Star MT, it flies up gradients. Please drive one up incline. You will be surprised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks