Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 06:16   #1
BHPian

Why So many Ford Ikons for Sale ?

Hi Friends.

Just want to know why there are so many used Ford Icons for sale ? I feel like its flooding the market in Bangalore.

I am looking for zen from past 3 months. I am not getting a good Zen but get details of around 5 Icons a week for sale. I wonder why people are taking it out for sale ? that too Owners are ready to sale as much less as 2.5 lakhs for a 2001 model.

Any special reasons ? Kindly comment.
Old 15th June 2006, 07:08   #2
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

possible reasons:

1. nobody wants a second hand icon (damn, i wouldn't even want a new one)
2. icon owners have had some bad experiences with their vehicles
3. the icon sold in large numbers before and so 2nd hand ones are plenty in number (ya, right )

I'll go for a combo of number 1 & 2.
Old 15th June 2006, 07:36   #3
BHPian

its Ford IKon right??
yeah even i've seen plenty of iKons for sale.
Old 15th June 2006, 08:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjan united
possible reasons:

1. nobody wants a second hand icon (damn, i wouldn't even want a new one)
2. icon owners have had some bad experiences with their vehicles
1. Why, why, why, why, WHY?

2. First of all, its Ikon, NOT icon, and second of all, my dad had one for a long time and it ran like a watch.
Old 15th June 2006, 08:58   #5
BHPian

Actually most cars lose 50% of their value in 3 years time. May be Maruti and Honda take 4 years. So, actually one should get Ikon Flair of 2003 model for 2.5 L since currently they cost around 5 L here in Mumbai.

Also, with Ford, the thinking is that their cars are good to use for 4-5 years and sell off. Not the types to keep for 10-15 years. My Esteem is 11 years old and I don't feel like selling it.

M
Old 15th June 2006, 09:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

3) Afraid they would stop producing the Ikon too. 1.6 is now available on order only.

Last edited by jkdas : 15th June 2006 at 09:21.
Old 15th June 2006, 11:10   #7
BHPian

Elementary my dear, After ford-fiesta launch , its safer to lose ikon. Many have decided to go in for the new tech vehicle from ford and mostly that exchange offers i guess
Old 15th June 2006, 12:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

American cars lose resale value quickly all over the world. Reason is not too hard to find. A honda or toyota will give longer trouble free maintainance. In case of IKon its the fiesta effect. The fiesta is a better vehicle in many respects and represents the future for ford.
In resale value the OHC makes an interesting case study. The NHCs 77 BHP engine ensured that OHC got cult status, and became the de facto car to mod, like the civic in US.
Coming back to topic, people tend to dump old cars when a replacement comes, unless its a Jap car
Old 15th June 2006, 16:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
1. Why, why, why, why, WHY?

2. First of all, its Ikon, NOT icon, and second of all, my dad had one for a long time and it ran like a watch.
I had a second-hand Ford. True, it did run like a good well-oiled watch, and I loved the car, as did my family, it was roomy and comfortable and looked sharp. But it seemed every time it went to the garage I had a fat bill at the end of it. Parts are expensive, and I found almost every service had left some work undone or half-done, which needed my taking the car back the next day. For me, this was the main reason I did not buy a Ford again.
Old 15th June 2006, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
I had a second-hand Ford. True, it did run like a good well-oiled watch, and I loved the car, as did my family, it was roomy and comfortable and looked sharp. But it seemed every time it went to the garage I had a fat bill at the end of it. Parts are expensive, and I found almost every service had left some work undone or half-done, which needed my taking the car back the next day. For me, this was the main reason I did not buy a Ford again.
My friends also mentioned the same for their 1st-hand Ikons.
One of them is in free service period and the service bill comes near 2500/-.
The other is >2 years old and the service bills are 5K odd.
Old 15th June 2006, 17:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
Hi Friends.

Just want to know why there are so many used Ford Icons for sale ? I feel like its flooding the market in Bangalore.

I am looking for zen from past 3 months. I am not getting a good Zen but get details of around 5 Icons a week for sale. I wonder why people are taking it out for sale ? that too Owners are ready to sale as much less as 2.5 lakhs for a 2001 model.

Any special reasons ? Kindly comment.
prakash2757,

Ikon has the following flaws/characteristics:

1. Higher maintenance costs - spares, service etc. than comparable cars
2. AC conks off after abt 2 years - I speak from 1st, 2nd and 3rd hand experience abt this
3. The 1.6 tho a great car to drive, gives abt 7-9 kmpl max in city traffic
4. Strong persistent rumors from automotive experts that its production will be stopped sooner than very later primarily as it intrudes on the Fiesta's doorstep, and of course because its approaching nearly a decade of existence.
5. The diesel is really disguised guano
Old 15th June 2006, 17:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Strong persistent rumors from automotive experts that its production will be stopped sooner than very later primarily as it intrudes on the Fiesta's doorstep, and of course because its approaching nearly a decade of existence.
I also keep hearing the rumours. But then as of now, it is only the Flair that is available, which is in no way in Fiesta territory as far as price or specs go. So, why discontinue it, if it is selling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
The diesel is really disguised guano
Did not understand this. Guano - what is that ?
Old 15th June 2006, 17:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno

Did not understand this. Guano - what is that ?
Guano = Birds*** .Think there is a very graphical scene in James Bonds Dr.No , involving this..
Old 15th June 2006, 17:45   #14
BHPian

Also, the Ikon is/was a very popular car for employees of lots of IT/software companies. They usually renew their cars every 4-5 years. So they bought a lot of Ikons some years ago which are now coming into the 2nd hand market.
Old 15th June 2006, 18:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

THe Ikons are BAD..and really high on your wallet..

Also, The Fiesta effect + the huge discounts offered for exchange etc..made sure most of the ikons dissappeared to dealers..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks