Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 11:08   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Curious in such cases, is there any way to increase the ground clearance, atleast temporarily, when doing outstation trips (say remote hilly areas etc)?
There is an aftermarket way of doing it.

Buy Rogerab suspension height restorer kit. It does not even void the warranty.
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:16   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Can you post a link to the source also please? I would have preferred the same GC (175) for all variants. 165 is a bit too less I feel.
Hi, below is the screenshot from the Zest Online booking page:
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest-online.png
rohansachar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:32   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a link to the source also please? I would have preferred the same GC (175) for all variants. 165 is a bit too less I feel.
The link :
http://zeststudio.tatamotors.com/fea...tech-specs.php
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:39   #1294
BHPian

Quote:

All diesel vehicles usually have a stiffer suspension upfront to handle the extra weight of the engine which also makes up for better handling. Not sure your theory holds well; but Punto's petrol variant has a higher clearance than it's diesel variant.
This is the case. Suspension is stiffened to take care of higher suspended mass and associated shock loads over undulating surfaces. This is independent of center of mass. Ground Clearance is lowered to reduce body roll (principle cause - stiffining of suspension is a secondary countermeasure here and adversely affects ride quality) and the tendency to flip over in hard cornering. This is why most diesel vehicles have a slightly reduced GC.

Last edited by aditya79india : 1st August 2014 at 11:40. Reason: Spell Check
Old 1st August 2014, 12:20   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Ground Clearance is lowered to reduce body roll ... and the tendency to flip over in hard cornering. This is why most diesel vehicles have a slightly reduced GC.
Trust the Zest has an Anti-roll bar installed as standard feature to prevent flipping over - hence this may not be the actual reason.

Further from an understanding of basic Physics, suppose having a heavier engine (diesel) in the lower half of the vehicle should result in lowering the centre of gravity and offer better stability.

As an aside, recollect that in the recent past, Mahindras had lowered the Ground clearance (for excise benefits) of its UVs by a mere repositioning of underbody plates - could such an additional accessory part in the diesel version be resulting in the lower GC ?
Old 1st August 2014, 12:32   #1296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Trust the Zest has an Anti-roll bar installed as standard feature to prevent flipping over
Anti-roll bars are a suspension component to help minimize body roll when cornering (not to prevent rolling / flipping over).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2014 at 12:34.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:39   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trust the Zest has an Anti-roll bar installed as standard feature to prevent flipping over - hence this may not be the actual reason.
OT to the Zest topic but:

Anti-roll bars/ stabilizing bars are used to control body roll during cornering and to tune the suspension balance. Not to prevent a car flipping or rolling over as the name might suggest a few. And all on-road cars have them as standard fitment. It is not a feature, more so of a requirement for such cars.

Without anti-roll bars, the two front wheels would become independent of each other (more fit for off roading), meaning a high body roll while fast cornering, roads undulations, etc.

The underlying principle is that the left & right suspension systems should work in tandem with each other and not independent of each other. So, if the right suspension is depressed, the left side is also made to depress, controlling body roll. By how much, it is left to the engineers as to how they want to tune the suspension.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 13:45   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
OT to the Zest topic but:

Anti-roll bars/ stabilizing bars are used to control body roll during cornering and to tune the suspension balance. Not to prevent a car flipping or rolling over as the name might suggest a few. And all on-road cars have them as standard fitment. It is not a feature, more so of a requirement for such cars.

Without anti-roll bars, the two front wheels would become independent of each other (more fit for off roading), meaning a high body roll while fast cornering, roads undulations, etc.

The underlying principle is that the left & right suspension systems should work in tandem with each other and not independent of each other. So, if the right suspension is depressed, the left side is also made to depress, controlling body roll. By how much, it is left to the engineers as to how they want to tune the suspension.

Regards,

Saket
In my opinion, this is the proper explanation to the use of anti-roll bar also known as stabiliser bar.

A friend of mine had fitted the anti roll bar of a special spec on to his 4x4 Mahindra, which used to improve ride and handling while driving it on road. However, if we planned to take it off road, we would simple disconnect.

As far as the Tata Zest is concerned, a slightly harder setup would be a better option as the vehicle has a high ride height, therefore a higher centre of gravity. It the suspension had a softer setup, it's handling would be uninspiring and negative like that of the i20 etc.

As far as my experience goes, a car with a firm, flat ride quality would cause the driver less fatigue than a softer setup in conditions where one has to cover relatively longer distance with comfortable speed. Softer setup is advantageous only in stop-go, pot-holed city traffic conditions.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:36   #1299
BHPian

Quote:

Further from an understanding of basic Physics, suppose having a heavier engine (diesel) in the lower half of the vehicle should result in lowering the centre of gravity and offer better stability.

As an aside, recollect that in the recent past, Mahindras had lowered the Ground clearance (for excise benefits) of its UVs by a mere repositioning of underbody plates - could such an additional accessory part in the diesel version be resulting in the lower GC ?
From the same basic Physics ( and a little bit more that I studied) I would understand that higher concentration of mass at the engine position would tend to lift the center of mass upwards in a diesel vehicle as compared to a petrol engined vehicle. Not the other way around unless the engine is the lowest mounted component. Also, the engine isnt mounted as low conventionally thought. The engine block in hatchbacks / sedans is near the seat level. Below that, near the floor level is only the oil sump, which ofcourse is too light in comparison. hence, any addition in engine mass serves to a) increase suspension load b) Push Center of Mass Upwards c) Increase weight bias towards the front. Concern (b) is addressed by a limited decrease in ground clearance.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:47   #1300
BHPian

What am I reading here? The "corona" headlights that I was hoping to use as a day-time running lights are parking lights? So does it mean, i cannot use them as DRL ?
Attached Thumbnails
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest.png  

Old 2nd August 2014, 00:04   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
What am I reading here? The "corona" headlights that I was hoping to use as a day-time running lights are parking lights? So does it mean, i cannot use them as DRL ?
Not sure what you mean, the next line says DRL?
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:13   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
Think of it this way - you can turn the parking lights on whenever you want it to be the DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
DRLs are on the bumper, next to the fogs. Corona ring gets switched on only if you switch on the parking lights.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:18   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
If you notice closely, the DRLs sit on the fog lamp bezel in the Zest (just like in the outgoing i20). The corona rings are only parking lights. Further the DRLs switch off when parking or head lamps are turned on.
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:24   #1304
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I spotted 2 zests being tested in Chennai tonight (Mahindra World City to Perungalathur Stretch). The cars had two badges with XT and F-tronics, so i presume that Tata will launch Zest diesel automatic in top variant as well

Sorry about not able to click some pics as there was heavy traffic and it was night time.
Atif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:39   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Think of it this way - you can turn the parking lights on whenever you want it to be the DRLs
I cannot believe Tata did not do a DRL with corona ring... How did they miss it! May be some patent issue?

Has anyone used the parking lights, does it continuously flicker? Can I only turn this corona light on instead of turning on all indicators for parking?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks