Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 20:27   #226

Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi Chinmay, it is believed that the new i20 will be launched sometime in October 2014.

The new Xcent is a nice decent car. If safety is your concern you may buy this car. The missing points that you have highlighted have nothing to do with the safety.

Moreover, The rear wash/ wiper is not available in any sub 4 meter sedan across all manufacturers in India. Even Dzire, Amaze, indigo CS doesn't have this feature.
Yes, I understand about new i20 launch date but cannot wait that long.
Also, I have not listed the safety features as they are included in the SX(O) model I am considering (Dual Airbags and ABS)

Thanks for your input on rear wash/ wiper.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:26   #227
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Is there any official review in pipeline for XCent? I could not find anything in the reviews section yet.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Took a test drive of the gasoline model. Initial views (personal)as under:
- all active safety features are optional extras.

Overall a nice car. Wont offend anyone. Lot of folks will love its easy going attitude. For enthusiast's & gearheads: the Dzire / Amaze gasoline's are a better choice.
A small correction, Dual Airbags are standard on SX variant (not available on lower ones), ABS optional on S & SX. Refer below features list:

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...ntents_feature
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:41   #229
Team-BHP Support

Got a call from our dealership that they have finally received a display car (Manual transmission) and asked us to visit the dealership to check it out.

Parents will be visiting the dealership today. Fingers crossed hoping they'd like the car. Else it's going to be a long wait for the 2015 i20 / Jazz.

Edit: Dealership is in Trivandrum. I am yet to see the car in dealerships @ Bangalore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:53   #230
BHPian

No display car in Delhi yet, tentative date is 25th
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:13   #231

Test Drive and display cars are available in Kun Showroom Anna Nagar Chennai. I went today. I had previously made up my mind to get the Grand i10 Sportz but Now I am planning to stretch my Budget a bit a get the Xcent S.

Eagerly waiting for the official review before finalizing on the car.
abubakkarmy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:27   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Edit: Dealership is in Trivandrum. I am yet to see the car in dealerships @ Bangalore.
Just saw the TD car at Hyundai next to cauvery theater
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 00:32   #233
Team-BHP Support

Initial impressions -
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Just saw the TD car at Hyundai next to cauvery theater
I saw the TD car at Marathalli while coming back from office (Yes, I have to work alternate weekends!) and managed to chase it to Trident showroom at KR Puram. Surprisingly the showroom was pretty crowded and there were many families checking the car. Couldn't even manage to get a proper response from a sales rep, let alone TD the car.

Anyways, below is a short update from the showroom experience -

1. There is nothing to distinguish Xcent from Grand i10 in the front. I like it that Hyundai didn't try to mess around with the front end design for the sedan, like Swift did to DZire. There is a slight addition of chrome, but its very subtle.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo5_800.jpg

2. The rear end. I like the rear end and boot integration. However, the area near the C pillar feels a bit bulky though.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo4_800.jpg

3. Closer look at the boot integration. Also notice the 'diamond cut' alloys + wrap around tail lamps. Someone mentioned in the earlier page that diamond cut alloys were not a major addition in SX(O). I think they really do look classy compared to the standard alloys.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo1__800.jpg

Pic Source - http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/hyunda...014-auto-expo/
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-hyundaixcentautoexpo.jpg

4. Hyundai says boot space is class leading. I think it does the job - seems to be at par with Amaze and better than DZire.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo2_640.jpg

5. Tail lamps -
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo10_800.jpg

6. White looks better than the red. Some people seem to think the rear is ugly. Really?
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo12_800.jpg

7. Boot integration. Also notice the rear suspension fully compressed under load. This was with 5 people on board. Rear suspension seems to be quite soft. Note - I am yet to TD the car, this is just an observation.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo11_800.jpg

8. Auto folding ORVMs close when car is switched off.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo13_800.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th March 2014 at 00:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 00:53   #234
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures man, just love it in red. Glad I booked mine in red, it looks so great.
raviacc2825 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 01:07   #235
Team-BHP Support

Initial impressions - Continued.

9. Legroom is impressive for a sub 4m sedan. I am 6' and below is the legroom I had after setting the front seat to my taste. Width however is pretty limited and it can squeeze in 5, but not in comfort.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo1_800.jpg

10. Packaging is brilliant. We usually appreciate Honda for their packaging. I think Hyundai has done a job at par with Amaze. Neat boot integration plus decent interior space. Also notice the rear a/c vents and rear arm rests with integrated cup holders. Rear door pad gets a bottle holder as well.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo6_800.jpg

A negative aspect to be noted - rear door pads are rather plain and the black colour doesn't help either.

11. Topmost button is for electric folding mirror - and yes, they do work without the key in the ignition slot. Large bottle holder for the front door pad.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo7_640.jpg

12. Automatic climate control gets 'Clean Air' branding. I suppose its the air filtering ionizer as present in the i20? Note the rear defogger.

12V socket, USB and AUX inputs for the music system are hidden in a small compartment. The quality with which this compartment opens and closes easily competes with cars from 2 segments above IMO. Infact, overall parts quality is very hard to find faults with, certainly not in this price range.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo8_800.jpg

13. With the compartment closed-
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo9_800.jpg

14. Above closed storage space is unique to the Xcent cabin. Here's the Grand i10 cabin from our official review -

On the flip side, GTO seemed to like this storage space in Grand i10 where you can easily park your smart phone below the USB slot. Not anymore.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-hyundaigrandi1001.jpg

15. Rear view camera integration is not as discrete as in the Hyundai Verna, and not so obvious as in the new Honda City. This one stands somewhere in between.
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-photo3_640.jpg

16. I do not have a picture of the rear view camera display on the ECM mirror since my phone decided to give up on me just when i was about the click the same. However, I can confirm the unit felt the same as the one on stablemate Verna. Pic below from Verna official review -
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-hyundaiverna04.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th March 2014 at 01:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 08:58   #236
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pictures and explanation, CrAzY dRiVeR!

The 15" alloys on the SX(O), the so-called "diamond-cut" design, do look lovely and manage to enhance the looks of the car, compared to the 14" alloys on the S(O) and SX. The 14" ones seem to be a straight lift from the i20, and different from those on the Grand i10.

Also, the SX(O) gets 175/60R15 tyres compared to the 165/65R14 ones on the other variants. This should mean a solid GC increase of ~ 10mm, unless Hyundai have lowered the suspension on the SX(O). I don't think they would have lowered the suspension for just one variant (though they would have surely re-calibrated the speedo/odo), so the SX(O) not only looks better, but also has the advantage of riding slightly higher.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 15:58   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Also, the SX(O) gets 175/60R15 tyres compared to the 165/65R14 ones on the other variants. This should mean a solid GC increase of ~ 10mm
Just wish to clarify - you seem to have misunderstood the way tyre sizes are numbered.

While the first component - 175 / 165 etc - denotes the patch width in mm, the second part, which is the sidewall height (60 / 65 etc) is actually not an absolute measure in mm. It is a percentage of the patch width of the tyre.

So, a size of 175/60R15 means rim dia = 15", tyre patch width = 175mm, but does not mean that the tyre's sidewall (profile) height is 60mm. It means that the sidewall height is, in fact, 60% of 175mm, which is 105mm.

Similarly, the 14" tyre is 165mm wide and has a profile height of 65% of 165 = 107.25mm.

This means a net difference of 2.25mm in the sidewall height. This means a total difference of double that - 4.5 mm - in ride height.

I agree with you on the suspension bit - I don't assume they'd change the ride height for varying tyre sizes on differing models. The speedo / odo would be calibrated differently of course.

- NOTE - I just edited this post after putting it up.

I didn't notice that the optional diamond cut alloys were 15" and the regulars were 14". Didn't account for the increased ride height due to the wheels themselves! So this is a dia measure and not a radius measure, so that adds another inch or ~2.5 mm.

We had established that if the wheel sizes were the same, the extra sidewall height of the 165/65 tyre would mean 2.25 mm over the 175/60 tyre, which means a 4.5 mm increase in overall dia. Now, decrease 2.5 mm from this difference as the 14" wheel is an inch shorter in dia than the 15.

You get an overall difference of only 2 mm.

Infact, the lower variants ride higher!

Last edited by ayushagarwal26 : 27th March 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Made a mistake in the tech logic!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 17:37   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
I didn't notice that the optional diamond cut alloys were 15" and the regulars were 14". Didn't account for the increased ride height due to the wheels themselves! So this is a dia measure and not a radius measure, so that adds another inch or ~2.5 mm.
I seem to be out of my mind today. My math is all screwed up. My apologies for being incorrect in my" correction" itself!

1 inch ~ 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm.

So, the SX(O) gets an added 25.4 mm in ride height due to the wheel, but the tyre height is 2.25mm less, so we duduct 2.25x2 = 4.5mm from this difference.

25.4 - 4.5 = 19.9

Looks like the SX(O) does ride higher, but by almost 20mm and not 10mm!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 22:10   #239
BHPian

http://m.overdrive.in/reviews/2014-h...a-first-drive/
Old 27th March 2014, 23:35   #240
Team-BHP Support

Autocar India review is also out-

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-381078.aspx
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks