Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 19:19   #31
BHPian

Re: December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's grand i10 is indeed a grand success but had not threatened Maruti much because it cannibalized its own siblings i10 and i20. But Santro is still fighting and is yet to give up.
Old 9th January 2014, 19:57   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Fuel Story
This is interesting – Ford sold 3514 Ecosport diesel while the petrol count stands at mere 391 units. Makes me wonder, why is there a huge waiting list for the petrol variants? Just not producing enough, or all aligned for export?
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 20:25   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Hyundai's grand i10 is indeed a grand success but had not threatened Maruti much because it cannibalized its own siblings i10 and i20. But Santro is still fighting and is yet to give up.
Absolutely. Not only Grand i10. When their line-up was Santro+i10+i20, they were selling a combined figure of around 7K+10K+6K = 23K. Now, it is around 25 - 27K. That means, their new launches are mainly eating into their own sales. But as long as they don't loose customers, they should feel happy.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:15   #35
BHPian

I am a bit confused here. Ford Fiesta New shows just 1 car sold in December while i know at least 3 people who bought this car in December. Please throw some light on this.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
I am a bit confused here. Ford Fiesta New shows just 1 car sold in December while i know at least 3 people who bought this car in December. Please throw some light on this.
Already explained in the below post. Dealers might already have enough inventory from the Diwali sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
The sale shown here is wholesale (No of vehicles billed to dealers).

so it is very much possible that they sold 1 unit to the dealers. Generally December sales nos are bit misleading as the manufacturer generally cut down their production, try to liquidate the company and dealer stock as much as possible. Plus there are huge discounts available across models and markets in December, so the retail sale (to final customer) is generally higher (in some cases much higher) than the wholesale or declared sale

Last edited by zenren : 9th January 2014 at 22:15.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Already explained in the below post. Dealers might already have enough inventory from the Diwali sale.
The dealer had no car in his stock and had to order these three cars as i know them personally and they were given a waiting period of 7-10 days for the delivery. Now isn't Manufacturer to Dealer considered a factory sale? Also with a huge discount of 1.5L on this particular model they would surely have done well with this model.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
The dealer had no car in his stock and had to order these three cars as i know them personally and they were given a waiting period of 7-10 days for the delivery. Now isn't Manufacturer to Dealer considered a factory sale? Also with a huge discount of 1.5L on this particular model they would surely have done well with this model.
Are you sure it was a Dec manufactured car that was delivered?

It need not always be manufacturer to dealer. The dealers get cars from other dealers in nearby cities if they already have stock of the colour choice that the customer asked. This is typically facilitated by the regional sales folks of the company before placing the order to make a new one from the factory in case of low volume cars.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Are you sure it was a Dec manufactured car that was delivered?

It need not always be manufacturer to dealer. The dealers get cars from other dealers in nearby cities if they already have stock of the colour choice that the customer asked. This is typically facilitated by the regional sales folks of the company before placing the order to make a new one from the factory in case of low volume cars.
Yes the mfg was of Dec 2013. I checked the VIN number and the sales letter also has dec 2013 mentioned on it. We only have only two dealers in J&K. One in Kashmir and the other in Jamm and both of them had no stock available because of huge discounts and got the car ordered from Ford. I have a hunch that Ford delibrately has not leaked this info and might add up these numbers in this month just to create hype among its compitetors and try to sell it agressively against Honda City. But its just a hunch i may be way off mark here or maybe its the other way round they might have sold only one Fiesta Classic and quite a few of these but messed up the numbers.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 9th January 2014 at 23:19.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share
Very nicely presented.

Just a note of caution though: Maruti DZire figures are clubbed together by Maruti and includes the Dzire Tour as well, which is doing pretty good numbers in the taxi trade. So Dzire has to separated >4m and <=4m.

Same story with the Indigo group: TML clubs all, i.e. the Manza, indigo CS and Indigo XL together. So this also needs segregation on model basis.
Old 10th January 2014, 00:13   #41

Is it possible to get e2O sales from Mahindra?
Old 10th January 2014, 06:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

As for Ecosport, I can assume they are making every rupee out of it by choking Indian customers and exporting as much as they can while whacking the Indian customers with price hikes too.
As far as EcoSport is concerned, if am not wrong, it is currently produced in three plants across the world. The one in Brazil caters for the Latin America, the one in China caters for the majority of Chinese requirements and a portion of South east Asia, and thirdly, the facility in India caters for the domestic demand, and exported to a vast number of Europe nations, whole of Middle East, Australia and East Asian countries such as Japan. Now we know Ford India facility was once catering only for India with low numbers. And now with a whole lot of export buzz around (of course, with the capacity expansion considered as well) I guess, Ford India is just new at managing all of this show. Plus, a vast majority of the above are petrol-favoring markets, so the whole scheduling plan, I'm guessing, would be designed to be more diesel-ish for the domestic and any fluctuating demand would sure take time to meet the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is interesting – Ford sold 3514 Ecosport diesel while the petrol count stands at mere 391 units. Makes me wonder, why is there a huge waiting list for the petrol variants? Just not producing enough, or all aligned for export?
I guess, I have covered yours too above.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
As far as EcoSport is concerned, if am not wrong, it is currently produced in three plants across the world. The one in Brazil caters for the Latin America, the one in China caters for the majority of Chinese requirements and a portion of South east Asia, and thirdly, the facility in India caters for the domestic demand, and exported to a vast number of Europe nations, whole of Middle East, Australia and East Asian countries such as Japan. Now we know Ford India facility was once catering only for India with low numbers. And now with a whole lot of export buzz around (of course, with the capacity expansion considered as well) I guess, Ford India is just new at managing all of this show. Plus, a vast majority of the above are petrol-favoring markets, so the whole scheduling plan, I'm guessing, would be designed to be more diesel-ish for the domestic and any fluctuating demand would sure take time to meet the need.

I guess, I have covered yours too above.

Recently had an oppurtunity to interact with one of the ancillary suppliers for Ford Ecosport. The big guy clearly indicated that while ford is minting money on Ecosport exports, it is losing a very marginal amount on domestic supplies. The margins on exports are driven by duty drawbacks and export incentives as provided by GoI. Hope this is helpful.
himanshu_2580 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 09:52   #44
BHPian

Also another interesting point, when comes to petrol cars the, data shows, people prefer Hyundai i10 Grand over Maruti Swift.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Also another interesting point, when comes to petrol cars the, data shows, people prefer Hyundai i10 Grand over Maruti Swift.
Reason should be Swift's has a great diesel engine while Grand i10's diesel is mediocre. On a petrol comparo, though Swift's K-Series is brilliant, Hyundai 1.2 Kappa has a slightly higher rating on the forum.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks