Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 00:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti @ Auto Expo 2014

S Cross seems to be a good jack of all and master of none. Whatever happened to Alpha? Was very keen to follow its evolution and MSIL seems to have to lost a trick in not bringing this to Auto Expo. Is the project shelved or is it still on?
Old 11th February 2014, 00:47   #32
Team-BHP Support

Maruti's stall this year was kind of disappointing. In 2012 they had more buzz with the unveil of production ready Ertiga and reveal of the concept XA-Alpha.

I expected to see production version of YL-1 this year and the iv4 concept.

Instead we saw the Authentics concept from Japan rebadged as Ciaz concept and the SX4 crossover.

The SX4 crossover was the only interesting car in the Marut hall. This looked more like an MPV but on paper it looks good. Don't know if Maruti will actually bring it.

Then there was the Celerio prices. It's priced more than the much more practical WagonR and way too close to the Ritz for a 3 pot motor.

The AMT is competitive because of the much smaller 40K premium of the AT over the MT.
Old 11th February 2014, 01:19   #33

I was really looking forward to the XA-Alpha concept taking shape and demonstrated at the Expo. Maruti really is banking its fortunes this year on the Celerio, and the AMT technology.

Somewhat disappointing for a home-grown carmaker fan. I fully expect the Dzire to find breathing space difficult with the recent sub-4 launches. Better designed, and arguably more equipment on tap.
Old 11th February 2014, 08:22   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Maruti - You could have showcased a Red/Blue Swift Sport in 1.6L DDiS engine as the diesel engine was also in our feedback that you were reading to which you responded with the Yellow Sport.
From what I know, there is no diesel Swift Sport. The only engine option is the 136bhp 1.6 petrol, with 6-speed manual or CVT. The car in its international specifications could easily cost anywhere between 10-15 lakhs if brought to India (which in my opinion is good value for what it offers). And that yellow shade is one of the most popular colour for the Sport
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should have displayed the Chiaz at the expo. From the scoop, all knows that production model is almost ready. They should have displayed the same and should have taken the feedback from various sites including mainly T-BHP Those feedback's would have helped them tremendously IMHO.

S-cross also looks very good. They should launch it ASAP. If they could launch it around 10-12 lacs, it will surely get good numbers. Looks very promising.
Old 11th February 2014, 11:51   #36
BHPian

Personally, feel the grill of Celerio and SX4 Cross has acquired the "smile", which, I don't think is as good as the good ol' Suzuki grill...makes it look meeker is what I feel
Old 11th February 2014, 16:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

I was quite disappointed with the Maruti stall as there was not much of relevance other than the Celerio launch and the SX4 Cross. For India's biggest player, I expected much more - for instance the production version of the XA Alpha and the production ready YL1.

Most of their display was of their existing range with some wannabe mods that will never feature on any production version.
Old 14th February 2014, 00:13   #38
BHPian

Maruti has disappointed us this time. Nothing new other than the Celerio.
Was expecting production ready XA-Alpha and Ciaz. And no mention about swift facelift too?
So,Even the S-cross is still under consideration? I thought it was already headed for an Indian launch. Anyway, in its current shape, its better that they are still only considering it. I don't think its anywhere close to Terrano or Ecosport in looks. Infact, the S-cross looks very plain. 5 years ago, this would have looked good, but not today.
And regarding its interiors, can't expect anything more from Maruti other than another Swift-interior clone with same steering wheel, & dashboard setup.

The production version of Celerio is nowhere close to the smart-looking A-wind concept.They have ruined the design with Maruti's trademark awkward design language. Yet again,they have managed to create another confused looking model . Front looks more like Chevrolet Enjoy now and rear is totally Alto-800. Side profile also has no individuality and resembles Alto-800 from some angles. When was the last time Maruti designers came up with something fresh and visually appealing? i can't remember.

And considering how notoriously skillful they are in toning down stunning-looking concepts into plain & boring common cars, i don't expect too much from them when XA-Alpha gets launched. It will be another regular box-on-wheels with majority of interior parts being shared with swift/WagonR.
Old 17th February 2014, 13:11   #39
BHPian

The older swift, ritz, alto k10, sx4, a-star, even the grand vitara; all had similar looking steering wheels and boring interiors. Not surprised to see maruti doing it again with ertiga, dzire, swift, celerio etc. Just goes on to show the faith and confidence that maruti has in the indian customers-manufacture dull looking, boring cars with wafer thin structure and it will still sell like hot cakes.
But that yellow swift sport really looks hot, it looks even hotter in flesh!
Old 18th February 2014, 15:58   #40
BHPian

A Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 , is the one that stands apart from the rest showcased by Suzuki.I vehemently urge Suzuki to introduce this product in the Indian market. I dont think, the 1.6 VVT 134 BHP that is plonked in that yellow Swift is the same one that is in SX4--Correct me, if I am mistaken.
Yet, there are some questions that come to my mind, about the introduction of this product:-

Would Suzuki expend time and energy in assembling this product , or would import it ?

If its the latter, then price is going to be an important factor, and would eventually dent the prospects of many who wanted to buy Suzuki Swift 1.6.Thus, catering to the niche customer.Remember, Kizashi. A Beautiful product they launched a considerable time ago. It was class apart , I drove the manual 6 speed variant and was looking forward to
owning it, but the price put me down. Later, they decreased the price to entice customers, and I felt bitter.
Old 18th February 2014, 16:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
A Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 , is the one that stands apart from the rest showcased by Suzuki.I vehemently urge Suzuki to introduce this product in the Indian market. I dont think, the 1.6 VVT 134 BHP that is plonked in that yellow Swift is the same one that is in SX4--Correct me, if I am mistaken.
I don't expect them to launch the Swift Sport any time soon in India.They are still reluctant to launch even the globally facelifted 2013 Swift here. It's already a year old facelift now and when the rest of the world will be getting 2015 facelift model, Maruti will give us the 2013 version! They know that whatever they sell under the swift name will sell here in india, then why bother to pass on a face-lift to the Indians so soon? In my opinion, Suzuki should stop this treatment towards Indians. I think India is the biggest market for Suzuki in terms of sales. Then why can't we Indians get facelifts for such popular cars as and when the rest of the world is getting it too?
Old 3rd May 2014, 22:13   #42

Rumours: Suzuki Swift Sport launching in India??

Suzuki had showcased its Swift Sport model in the Auto Expo held recently. The rumour is that, this hot hatch is going to be launched in India this year!

It has a 1.6 litre engine, churning out 135bhp and 160Nms of torque- which is pretty amazing considering the weight of the car (~1 ton)- giving it a very good power to weight ratio.
It has been called a very peppy and agile car.

It also goes the full mile with tech and safety, giving you the confidence to push the car forward.

This car is something worth looking forward to, especially since Suzuki considered launching it in 2012 and dropping the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti @ Auto Expo 2014-1399135085997.jpg  

Veeradithya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 08:47   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeradithya View Post
Suzuki had showcased its Swift Sport model in the Auto Expo held recently.
Hope they get both the 1.6L petrel engine and 1.6 MJD to compete the family for ever better efficiency.

Quote:
It has been called a very peppy and agile car.
Swift was never a dull and boring car drive be it any engine. One of the best hatches in the country.

Quote:
This car is something worth looking forward to, especially since Suzuki considered launching it in 2012 and dropping the idea.
I have been listening to this rumour from long but no answer from Maruti even after so much time. If VW can launch the GT GT TSi and GT TDi in such market and economy conditions which are is their competition.

Either Maruti is worried of costs involved vs sales of the car OR they don't have any engine to use it on sport models.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks