Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 15:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Problem with selling a '3rd owner' Used Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I believe you would also have paid a higher road tax in TN as compared to PY over and above 1L buying price while re-registering ?
Seems to be a good arbitrage opportunity for car dealers
Cooltronics, as far as I can remember I paid around Rs5,000/- as re-registering charges. including higher road tax.( In 1999 ). I had to wait for about 4 months for the NOC ( No Objection Certificate) from the pondicherry R.T.O and 3 to 4 trips to the R.T.O in chennai. But in all worth the effort
Old 17th March 2014, 12:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
How come the owner being a doctor helps?.. I would rather avoid the vehicles from a doctor as typically they are very busy people leaving their vehicles being less pampered due to lack to time.

Same goes with people who just learned driving and old people ( and may be ladies). Chances that I may get a car that was driven on wrong gear are high. ( never seen my dad using 2nd gear, He jumps from 01 - 03)

George V
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I think the basic idea behind this common belief ( or should we call it false belief ) is not that doctors and ladies are car freaks to take good care of their car and keep it in perfect shape and condition.The only expectation behind this claim is the general belief that ladies often drive at low and moderate speeds.So the engine might never have been pushed to anywhere closer to its limits, and thus it may still be in mint condition. This is what I suppose is the so-called "advantage" that those brokers/dealers claim.

And I cannot understand how Doctors got an entry to this list.May be as quoted by someone above, doctors are generally considered as caring & law-abiding citizens.But what if the doctor has a teen-aged car crazy son who loves NFS ?
Historically, car's were prized possessions and only the Industrialists & Maharajas could afford the piece of luxury. With the service sector not yet developed in India, only the Doctors in the service industry could buy affordable cars and since it was from their hard earned money, with no loans available then, they very possessive about their drive and took good care of their vehicles. This coupled with their profession of being life savers and caring people led to the concept of "Doctor's car"
Trust me, coming from Doctor's family this still works in Tier 2 and smaller cities
Old 28th March 2014, 18:26   #48
BHPian

I bought a preowned M800 some time back, used it for 8-9 months. Then sold it to Maruti true value. No fuss about it being in hands of two owners in past. In fact sold it at a profit of Rs 10000 plus exchange bonus (Rs 10000). I was under the impression that True value easily buys car with two previous owners. Yes in market being a second owner means a loss of 5-10 k for small cars.
Old 27th May 2014, 15:13   #49
BHPian

I just sold my Volkswagen Polo recently and of innumerable prospects who came to see the car and who called to inquire, 80% of them checked, confirmed if they would be 2nd owners or 3rd owner and found them extremely sceptical to opt for a car where they are 3rd owners. I was quite shocked to say the least as I never experienced so much prejudice towards 3rd owner car before. May be it is the case with Individual buyers and not with dealers
Old 27th May 2014, 15:50   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I was quite shocked to say the least as I never experienced so much prejudice towards 3rd owner car before. May be it is the case with Individual buyers and not with dealers
Second hand cars itself are difficult to sell at a good price and to find decent prospects. Many have a feeling that the 1st owner would have battered the car and could be in its end of life hence the car is being sold. I have seen this thought in all places so just imagine what the reaction will be when the buyer knows he'll be the third owner?!

I hardly see any well maintained cars around (Car enthusiasts not included) to quality good even when owned by a 3rd owner.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 23:11   #51
BHPian

Hello All,

Need an urgent sane advise. I am getting a BMW X1 2017 model 30k km driven car with Gurgaon registration at 24 L. Excellent condition with ceramic coating and with BSI, BRI packages valid till 2022 (Latter is what’s catching my attention)

1) It’s a 2nd owner car. What would you advise? Should I take the leap of faith ignoring the 2nd owner factor and buy it or should I leave it?

2) It’s a black colour car. It’s absolutely shining in the pics but is it difficult to maintain in the longer run?

3) Tomorrow if I decide to sell the car after 2 years how difficult it is to sell a 3rd Owner Luxury car?

Thanks in advance!

PS:- I have not yet seen the car in person but only saw few pics.
Old 29th July 2020, 19:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Hello All,

Need an urgent sane advise. I am getting a BMW X1 2017 model 30k km driven car with Gurgaon registration at 24 L. Excellent condition with ceramic coating and with BSI, BRI packages valid till 2022 (Latter is what’s catching my attention)

1) It’s a 2nd owner car. What would you advise? Should I take the leap of faith ignoring the 2nd owner factor and buy it or should I leave it?

2) It’s a black colour car. It’s absolutely shining in the pics but is it difficult to maintain in the longer run?

3) Tomorrow if I decide to sell the car after 2 years how difficult it is to sell a 3rd Owner Luxury car?

Thanks in advance!

PS:- I have not yet seen the car in person but only saw few pics.
The price as quoted looks quite high to me for a 2nd owner vehicle. Additionally let me tell you that though legroom is not an issue in the second row seats in the X1, the under thigh support is inadequate and will lead to discomfort on medium/long journey. If you still want to buy it negotiate hard considering that the resale value will plummet when you sell it as the third owner.
Amit_GetzCRDI09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 19:36   #53
BHPian

I am currently looking at a used Elantra. MY:2018
diesel sx(o) AT. 2ND owner, done about 38k kms. The asking price is 13L
I have driven the car and it feels good.
Was quite confident about going through with it (provided Hyundai Asc gives it a clean chit) until i stumbled across this thread.

I want to keep the car for 5 years at least. So please advise on how me being the 3rd owner might impact it's resale value when selling it in the future. (Based on my driving pattern, the car would've run close to 90k when I look to sell it 5 years down the line)

Last edited by Abi5hek : 7th August 2023 at 19:38.
Old 8th August 2023, 13:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

True Value or Untrue Value are all no exceptions, but polished brokers.
They say they conduct 120 checks, but their sales guys are unable to exactly say what these 120 checks are?

This is true for other dealers as well.
I had evaluated my car in cars24. He basically opened the bonet and had a glance. Measured the thread of tyres. Looked around the car for scratches.

This is really risky for the buyers from these platforms if they blindly trust these 120+ point checks.
anoopvk268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 03:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
How come the owner being a doctor helps?
Replying to this old question here: It is assumed that doctors know and experience up close and personal what exactly an accident can do to the human body and its consequences as compared to laymen, thus they drive safely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks