Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 17:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio: Segment leader in FY 2013-14

I have driven Scorpio of in-laws for many long distance trip across Jharkhand, Bihar & West Bengal.
O Boy! This is the prescribed SUV for Jharkhand & some of the border Area Bengal roads. This realization came in much later & only after Scorpio (2004-2011) got replaced by XUV 500.
Body on Frame Vs Moncoque-the difference was instantaneous.
No wonder Scorpio is best seller in these regions and also the re-sale value & demand for second hand Scorpio is very high.
One rarely see a Fortuner on display at any of the Second Hand Car re-sellers or showrooms like Popular Cars etc. Similar is the case with Scorpio at sub-urbans & II-Tier cities.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 23:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

When is the new Scorpio coming out? The exterior pics werent to my liking though I wouldnt mind. The only change I would want is better ride quality - my wife calls it a horse

Mahindra is struggling in 2014 - needs to get the refreshes sooner!
Old 11th April 2014, 12:00   #33
BHPian

is this the segment leader? if we look at March 2014 sales, the Duster + terrano (considering both are essentially the same) has clocked much more than Scorpio. However must admit after so many years to still sell so much is an achievement (actually in that case Balero still is the king)
Old 11th April 2014, 12:10   #34
BHPian

Scorpio has been the "desirable" SUV for a lot of people who were in high school in late 90s/ early 2000s. Once they are affluent enough, they do consider it as one of their options, family permitting

I know of people who would have bought Scorpio had their better halves not vetoed them into buying a sedan. However, the urban SUVs sure has provided a new compromise point for such guys.

I feel that the jump in sales has more to do with political season and supply constraints from Ford, etc than anything else. Please note that Renault/ Nissan still do not have the penetration anywhere near Mahindra in terms of showrooms/ ASCs. I would let the dust settle post elections to see if this is a resurrection or a blip for Scorpio.
Old 13th April 2014, 20:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio fulfills the need to many folks for a no nonsense SUV. It is spacious enough for 6-8 people ( though not very comfortably), can take any type of roads the country has on offer, has reasonable interior quality, can be serviced any where at a reasonable cost and is very reliable . It may not have the best dynamics, but to most people it is not a big issue. Moreover, it looks butch which is one major reason a lot of folks go in for SUV's. All this comes at cost which does not break the bank. Moreover, it commands a good resale value. It is no surprise that it still manages to pull customers in droves. Mahindra has also improved the vehicle from the time it was launched. It has much better engine and the various variants make it appealing to a very wide spectrum of buyers. Compared to it, products like the Duster and Innova (though much more modern) look seriously overpriced.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Please give me a good reason why the Scorpio should be compared to the Ford Ecosport, which is essentially a small city car.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks