Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 12:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: April 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Hyundai launches a killer again , other brands should note the success Hyundai has been having , one bang after another. Kudos to them.

Chevrolet , will be best remembered in songs if they continue like this.

I was waiting to see if Fiat would have trumped Skoda in terms of total numbers but Skoda stays ahead , although not by a very big margin.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 12:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

I guess even the Amaze will soon be available for rental (Yellow board) looking at the low numbers.
Old 9th May 2014, 13:45   #48
BHPian

Hyundai has given Honda a taste of Honda's own medicine in the form of Xcent. In another article on Team bhp, a Honda India Executive was quoted saying that Honda will not spruce up the features list for Amaze as they feel that the Amaze is superior in terms of space etc. but the sales figures have clearly piled up pressure on Honda. Unless they match the Xcent, its going to be downhill for the Amaze
carpacman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 13:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
A simple way to gauge value IS resale price. It even reflects quality, A.S.S. and brand image. Most people understand this intuitively.

There are cases where herds could be wrong (like equity markets), but IMO cars don't fall in this category. Here, herd is right most of the time.
There is no greater cause of herding in this market than this lop-sided business of resale 'value', which is a misnomer, it is a resale 'price'. Price signals like this one are NOT to be relied upon precisely because they embody the momentum and weight of a herd. Too many buyers in our market confuse 'price' and 'value'.

It is 'crowds' that are right most of the time, not 'herds'.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 15:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
What happened to the Wagon R ? A drop of almost 3000 units in a month. What could be the possible reason for this ? Is the i10 Grand the sole reason?
I don't think i10 grand has anything to do with this. There is carnage across B1 and WagonR has born the brunt. Look at this: WagonR -36%, Celirio -4.2%, Swift -17.8%, i10-13.6%, Santro -31.9%. Can't associate a reason. Can any one explain please?
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:04   #51
BHPian

Chevy need to Sail away from the Spark in order to Beat the heat. For them to Enjoy this Cruze, they need to Captivate the Indian buyer.

Moral of the story: Get back to the drawing board, it's never too late.

Last edited by speed kills : 9th May 2014 at 16:16.
speed kills is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Analysis, in my own view

Chevy : Don't have any future for any of their existing car. Will keep selling few cars, that's it. Nothing to note. Spark & Sail twins are like dead rubbers.

Datsun : Why will one buy this car which is not great & has very bad network? I don't know. Few may try it. Figures shows just that.

Fiat : Come on Fiat. Launch other cars soon. Best of luck. Sad to see Linea numbers, it deserves much better numbers.

Ford : They have winner in hand but not selling it in numbers. Isn't it a joke of the Century? Can't imagine company having customers but not selling cars, that too in current scenario.

HM Mitsubishi : Wow. They are still selling and people are still buying !!!

Honda : Amaze has lost it. I am sure it will not regain it. With Zest launch, i think Honda will loose more. City still doing great numbers, interesting to see if they can sustain it. Brio - Flop show continues.

Hyundai : Grand i10 & Xcent doing simply great. First time somebody is giving fight to Swift/Dzire duo. Other cars clearly struggling in their respective segments, Verna too.

Mahindra : Scorpio & Bolero are real stars for Mahindra. XUV also doing great numbers IMHO considering its price & segment. Nothing else.

Maruti : Loosing some numbers this month. Swift & Dzire need to watch out at Grand & Xcent duo. Need to scale up production for Celerio fast. Waiting for Ciaz eagerly. Will give fight to Verna & City for sure. Overall average month for them.

Nissan & Renault : Nothing much for both. Duster & Terrano are selling few. Others are dud mostly.

Skoda : Don't think they will improve, lost all hopes now.

Tata : They need Zest & Bolt ASAP. Nano going south & others are fading. Do something Tata.

Toyota : All struggling now. Glad to see Innova numbers going down. Its clearly a very overpriced product. Sells only because it has no real competition.

VW : Another german car maker, similar story. People are scared of their service costs & running away from them. Better they concentrate on exports only.

Overall average month as always.

Last edited by aniketi : 9th May 2014 at 16:13.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 06:43   #53
BHPian

Good analysis and report.

I was not a fan of Hyundai Xcent, but yesterday I saw a vehicle on road and I liked the overall design of the car. It looks like a competitive product and going to impact the sales of Honda Amaze. We need to wait for few months to see how it's going to sustain. Kudos to Hyundai for understanding requirements of Indian customers.

Last edited by MaxTorque : 11th May 2014 at 06:44.
Old 11th May 2014, 07:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report as usual.
I've always maintained that Honda has an attitude problem in this market. They feel that the Honda badge alone is enough to work its magic. Feature wise they have always been penny pinching. Only when their sales have been beaten black and blue by competition do they come to their senses. I guess the future Brio/Amaze owners will be a lucky lot thanks to Hyundai.

Last edited by wilful : 11th May 2014 at 07:16.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 11:17   #55
BHPian

Hi, good analysis but are we missing the Petrol vs Diesel numbers this time, I am really curious to know as I want to switch one of my three cars and need to know the market shift towards petrols. I either want to replace Ritz with an AMT Celario or Vento with a Duster/Ecoboost but ofcourse all depends on resale values of both the cars.
Old 11th May 2014, 12:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Everyone barring Hyundai and Ford taking a hit across the board. Maruti taking a big hit for all its bestsellers - Alto retained #1, Swift and Dzire swapped their positions while Wagon R gave up #4 to Grand i10. Hyundai would be happy to have got the #4 slot for the first time, though it remains to be seen whether it is a planned move from Maruti that resulted in lower sales. Total sales for Hyundai has remained same even with strong performances from Grand and Xcent.

Since Maruti doesn't disclose the break up between the Alto 800 and K10, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped or reduced the production of current K10 and started modifications to the assembly line for the next generation K10. With 1.2L Go and 1L Eon already available as competition, Maruti might not want to delay it too much and could launch it soon. We've already seen minimally camouflaged test mules.

Part of Swift numbers might have been allocated to Ciaz - if City can sell close to 10k, so can Ciaz. Freeing up capacity from Swift is likely since the Ciaz is likely to share the factory with these. SX4's 76 units also indicate that it might have been axed mid month or so. They cannot afford to reduce Dzire numbers since that would help Xcent sales. Since Grand and i20 are not directly pitted against Swift, a slight slump in Swift numbers wouldn't harm Maruti as long as they make it up elsewhere. Swift, Dzire and even Ertiga could eventually settle to slightly lower numbers once they launch Ciaz even if they have capacity. Any new launch eats the maximum from the numbers of its siblings in Indian market where the customer first decides the brand and then the model.

Wagon R numbers however could be lost to Grand i10 since Celerio is already at peak capacity and cannot absorb the buyers who want something other than Wagon R.

Last edited by zenren : 11th May 2014 at 12:40.
Old 11th May 2014, 13:28   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Hi, good analysis but are we missing the Petrol vs Diesel numbers this time, I am really curious to know as I want to switch one of my three cars and need to know the market shift towards petrols. I either want to replace Ritz with an AMT Celario or Vento with a Duster/Ecoboost but ofcourse all depends on resale values of both the cars.
Presumably it will be at least 5 years before you resell, and it is impossible to predict fuel prices (which will determine market trends) in that timeframe, but for what it's worth I would expect that diesel will continue to be cheaper than petrol but the price gap will reduce, and so will the price gap between petrol and diesel cars. So the extreme bias in preference for diesel that has occurred recently will be reduced too. That's my non-expert prediction anyway. The resale value will be dictated more by the maker -- Maruti would be better than Renault or (probably) Ford. Also, it remains to be seen how popular AMT becomes long-term -- it didn't catch on in Europe and most Indian drivers are comfortable with manual transmission.
Old 13th May 2014, 11:41   #58
BHPian

5 years has passed on the Ritz and 50,000 KM on board. As the car is going strong I intend to keep it considering the tall boy advantages it has.

Vento resale price is the decider for Ecoboost purchase though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Presumably it will be at least 5 years before you resell, and it is impossible to predict fuel prices (which will determine market trends) in that timeframe, but for what it's worth I would expect that diesel will continue to be cheaper than petrol but the price gap will reduce, and so will the price gap between petrol and diesel cars. So the extreme bias in preference for diesel that has occurred recently will be reduced too. That's my non-expert prediction anyway. The resale value will be dictated more by the maker -- Maruti would be better than Renault or (probably) Ford. Also, it remains to be seen how popular AMT becomes long-term -- it didn't catch on in Europe and most Indian drivers are comfortable with manual transmission.
Old 2nd June 2014, 07:46   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

May 2014

In the domestic market, Toyota sold 11,833 units in May 2014 as compared to 10,023 units in May 2013, to report 18% sales growth.
New Launches register sales of 555 units & 548 units in Etios Cross and Corolla Altis.

http://www.rushlane.com/toyota-india...-12119841.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:56   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki - May 2014 sales

The company said its domestic sales rose 16.4 per cent during the month to 90,560 units as against 77,821 units in May 2013.

M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, sales stand at 29,068 . Swift, Estilo, Ritz to 26,394 , Dzire at 18,953, SX4 at 121 , Gypsy, Grand Vitara , Ertiga, at 5,253 and Omni & Eeco at 10,771 are the main contributors to the May sales figures.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200333_1.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd June 2014 at 11:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks