Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar launches locally manufactured XJ @ 92.1 lakhs

Jaguar launches locally manufactured XJ @ 92.1 lakhs-xj.png

Jaguar Land Rover today launched locally manufactured Jaguar XJ 3.0L, with price starting at Rs 92.1 lakh.
(Earlier price was: Rs 1,78,24,481)

Quote:
“We are delighted to introduce the flagship of the Jaguar brand, the epitome of extraordinary luxury, the XJ as locally manufactured, at an extremely competitive price point in the luxury saloon segment in India,” Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) India Vice President Rohit Suri said in a statement.

Last edited by sarathlal : 22nd May 2014 at 21:33.
sarathlal is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jaguar launches locally manufactured XJ @ 92.1 lakhs

WOAH!! That is some reduction in price. The XJ has always been a dream car, and it now gets that much more accessible

Have they changed any equipment specifications?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:46   #3
BHPian

This is great news, it goes to show that the Indian market is being taken seriously.

A small correction, the XJ-L 3.0L was earlier priced at Rs 1.26 Cr.
The ultimate edition however was priced at Rs 1.78 Cr.
Enigmatic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:04   #4
gemi_kk

The Jaguar XJ sells at 82,000$ Base model in US, which translates to 46 Lakhs. With taxes.

Congratulations Tata, You too have joined the band wagon of those europeans who always charge more for what they give. Now you seem to be completely lost.

I really don't understand why we are asked to pay more when we actually make less? I don't think, our taxing system is such pathetic, when we are still perceived as a moderately taxing country.

Shame on these brands who always charge a premium for their cars, which aren't as reliable as common man's cars. And Shame on them when they say Locally manufactured and when they reveal exorbitant pricing.

Why not try making a good D1/D2 segment car which is luxurious, reliable and durable in the long run and which can smoke out Audi's A4/3 series/C class in the local market?

That XJ should fall into D1/D2 segment. On what basis, they are charging the customers so much? Are they going to provide Extraordinary service ?

Last edited by gemi_kk : 22nd May 2014 at 23:09.
  (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 23:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

XJ -3.0 - Premium Luxury - 93,36 Lac
XJ -3.0 - Portfolio - 99,95 Lac
Ex Chandigarh / Ludhiana
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 00:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
The Jaguar XJ sells at 82,000$ Base model in US, which translates to 46 Lakhs. With taxes.

Congratulations Tata, You too have joined the band wagon of those europeans who always charge more for what they give. Now you seem to be completely lost.

I really don't understand why we are asked to pay more when we actually make less? I don't think, our taxing system is such pathetic, when we are still perceived as a moderately taxing country.

Shame on these brands who always charge a premium for their cars, which aren't as reliable as common man's cars. And Shame on them when they say Locally manufactured and when they reveal exorbitant pricing.

Why not try making a good D1/D2 segment car which is luxurious, reliable and durable in the long run and which can smoke out Audi's A4/3 series/C class in the local market?

That XJ should fall into D1/D2 segment. On what basis, they are charging the customers so much? Are they going to provide Extraordinary service ?
What makes you think that the XJ which sells at 82000 USD base in the US will compete against the A4, 3 series and C class in India? Why would they depreciate their brand value so much?
That car is meant to fight the S class, A8 and 7 series, correct? Jaguar is building a brand new car, XE, that would compete with the A4, 3 series and C class - it is expected to hit the market in the next year or two.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:14   #7
BHPian

Unless a car is completely designed and built here, those prices are still a dream.
Even for cars built here beyond the compacts the excise duty and the state VAT alone add close to 40% of the price.
XJ is imported 95% (approximate guess) as knocked down kits (drive train, body panels, electronics etc.) and a few components like (guessing) batteries, wheels, paint are locally sourced and assembled as a single car. The investment needed for this is not cheap. For this taxes are relatively lower than fully importing.

That is why a fully designed and built in India car like the XUV500 is significantly cheaper than say a similar size, power, equipment Nissan X trail (However M&M will have to work on fine tuning the product... Will happen over 2 or 3 generations.)

Till then it's premium pricing.

The question may come why can't Jag or the Germans completely build all their cars and sell them here at if not american at least Canadian prices....
The problem with our market for cars over $30,000 (base price of an audi a4 in the US) is around 50,000 units a year. That volume is too small for 4 car companies to fit in over 20 models and achieve economies of scale. (Even Honda city, just one model which sells over 5000 in its a month has a good chunk of imported components! IIRC, most Marutis & Hyuindis including models like Swift and i10 have imported components!!!!)

Tatas, Bmw, Audi of Mercedes don't get the bulk of this money it's our governments.
316kmph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:39   #8
BHPian

And at this price it still undercuts the equivalent trim of the 730Ld, A8, and the yet-to-be launched S350, which is interesting because the XF isn't as competitively priced to the A6/5/E trio.
Saarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

While the pricing of this XJ is a good move by JLR, it doesn't explain the ridiculous pricing of some of the other models.

I also was under the impression that more features were due to be added to the locally produced XJ.

But the main question is whether JLR can keep its premium customers happy when it comes to after sales.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-service.html

This thread comes to mind.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:46   #10
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I also was under the impression that more features were due to be added to the locally produced XJ.
It appears from the below Autocar report that more features have been added.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-386248.aspx

Quote:
Interestingly, with the drop in price has come additional equipment. The aluminium-bodied luxury sedan, at least in this locally assembled, 3.0-litre Diesel guise, will now get massaging rear seats, electric rear sun blinds, LED reading lamps, a new business table and a pair of 10.2-inch rear screens. However, Jaguar also says it will be available in two trims – Premium Luxury and Portfolio – and many of these features are likely to be on the latter. Jaguar is also promising improved headroom in the rear seats.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we shouldn't really compare XJ with XJ L. I am pretty sure this base model has a lot less features than Indian XJ L.

Economies of scale combined with the service centres' limits on the number of cars they could handle, don't justify US-kinda pricing in India.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Economies of scale combined with the service centres' limits on the number of cars they could handle, don't justify US-kinda pricing in India.
Even in JLR's home country UK, the 3.0L Diesel 275 LWB Premium Luxury goes at GBP 65,000 which is nearly 65 Lacs. Here the duty component on imported components has to be factored in too, so 92L is pretty good pricing. Even the 7 series costs upward of 1 Crore- though discounts are available for the BMW.

Quote:

I don't think, our taxing system is such pathetic, when we are still perceived as a moderately taxing country.
Well, you can blame taxation, and you can buy a Jaguar XJ in the US for $82k, but here in India you suffer a maximum marginal tax of 33.99% on your income, whereas yo have to pay 39.6% to the US Federal Government and state income taxes (sometimes as high as 13.3% as in California) there?

Last edited by Yeldo : 23rd May 2014 at 11:54.
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:37   #13
BHPian

That is very good pricing indeed, considering its CKD. While not advocating high prices but, we cant expect the Merc or BMW or Jags to price their products only covering cost + minimum markup. The Luxury car business is really capital intensive. The costs involved at every level right from product development to selling are very high. They have to cover the costs and plus they invest so heavily in their brands which they obviously cover by charging premium.

I still believe it is consumer who accepts or rejects price in passenger vehicle market. If they want a luxury car and they can pay for it, they will buy it. If people dont buy a particular car at a particular price the cos will stop making them !
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I'm not a particular Jaguar fan I have owned a few, the models I liked and currently own an older XJ(R). The former X308 model, V8 supercharged.

I have had the pleasure of driving this latest XJ model both in the USA and the UKP and it is a fabulous car. It is one of those cars where the colour matters a lot though. Unfortunately most will be bought/sold in boring black or grey, maybe the odd white one. But still, the interior will make up for a lot! Its really neat.

I'm a little surprised to see Jaguar setting up local manufacturing capabilities. I would have thought that the volumes for this XJ would be too low or will they producing for outside India as well.

When it comes to car pricing, you can't beat the USA. Cars, even foreign imports, tend to be (much ) cheaper then anywhere else in the world.
The original MRP on my XJR was around USD 72.000,--. In my home country the Netherland is was retailling for around Euro 140.000,-- .

I'm always a bit surprised if people are passing judgement based on how much the manufacturer is earning (perceived or real). I've never understood why that would be a buying critiria. If it is you're unlikely to find yourself buying Porsches, BMW, VWs etc. etc.

Do those of us that exibit such behaviour buy cars from companies that make a loss?? does that make it a more desirable car? Does it make you feel more happy, make for a better deal?

Very strange, but as the saying goes it takes all sorts to make the world go round. Irrespective of how much money a manufacturer makes, I couldn't care less, I have never bought a car new. (other then my company cars that were all leased).

I stick to second hand. If the depreciation of past Jaguars is anything to go buy you can pick up a fully loaded Jaguar XJ for around 20-25% of the original price within 3-5 years. Not sure how that works here in India, but in Europe and the USA that still holds true.

Depreciation on these cars is unbelievably high.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 01:25   #15
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I think we shouldn't really compare XJ with XJ L. I am pretty sure this base model has a lot less features than Indian XJ L.

I was talking about XJL in US, the long base version. Not the regular XJ, which costs 10 k cheaper in $ and ~12 Lakh cheaper in INR. Cost of service is often expensive in developed countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
What makes you think that the XJ which sells at 82000 USD base in the US will compete against the A4, 3 series and C class in India?
Tata's are renowned for making the Value for money products. This has paid them big rewards in the past. And now, they seem to be moving in the wrong way.

Price it at 10/12 Lakh over A4 and see the number of customers rushing. Obviously the volume would be more than double than what they probably would get now. Any ways, they need to run service centres to provide so called service. So why not make more customers, which adds more value in the long run. Being exclusive like Bugati/Maybach takes you through a ride of losses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks