Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 20:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Any plans for scrapping the stupid law that requires you to put that yellow sticker on your right headlamp? AFAIK Gujarat was the only state which strictly implemented this.

Now you can see this law will be implemented in all over India. Earlier, it was applicable only in Gujarat. You the reason already . So get ready and buy Yellow Sticker for you car headlight.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 23:54   #62
BHPian

These are some of the rules which I would like to be introduced/ changed..

1. Anyone driving on the wrong side to be penalised.

2. Halogen headlights to be banned.

3. Rear seat belts to be mandatory.

4. Less than 18 years not to be allowed to drive.

5. Absolutely no talking on the cell, even with handsfree..infact audio systems have also been known to be a cause for acciddents.

6. No mercy for drunken driving.

7. Over-speeding drivers behind bars.

All are welcome to add to the list.
Old 10th June 2014, 09:12   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Do we not have a centralized database for PAN Cards? Need I say more

I would say getting a fake address proof is far easier than getting a fake Date of Birth proof that PAN Card requires, still I personally know at least a dozen ex-colleagues who had more than one PAN card.

Its like having state of the art security system with security guards guarding the only entrance. Just that those security guards give two hoots about who's coming and who's going out with what. As long as that security guard doesn't fear that not doing his job is going to get him fired, no amount of investment in other security gadgetry would help.
I agree, there can be/will be people who will succeed at fooling the system. But how many? Majority will start falling in line just to escape the harsher punishments. At the same time as centralizing the database, they can strengthen the license issuance/renewal process. That's why I said stricter enforcement is also required.

IIRC when the Delhi highcourt had added 500 to all the traffic penalties, Delhiites suddenly discovered new red lights and started halting there which they never knew existed before!

So, if you start accumulating violation points against a person on each offence and cancel the license after a limit, it sure will instill some amount of restraint in the public.
Old 10th June 2014, 09:21   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
These are some of the rules which I would like to be introduced/ changed..

1. Anyone driving on the wrong side to be penalised.

2. Halogen headlights to be banned.

3. Rear seat belts to be mandatory.

4. Less than 18 years not to be allowed to drive.

5. Absolutely no talking on the cell, even with handsfree..infact audio systems have also been known to be a cause for acciddents.

6. No mercy for drunken driving.

7. Over-speeding drivers behind bars.

All are welcome to add to the list.
Sorry, but as far as I know, all these laws are already existing the way you have mentioned. So what would you want to add or change to these ones?
Old 10th June 2014, 09:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, but as far as I know, all these laws are already existing the way you have mentioned. So what would you want to add or change to these ones?
Yes, I think the biggest problem is people's awareness of these rules. The root of the problem is the process of issuing license. I strongly believe the process should be strengthened and more importantly strictly followed. If only our population is not so huge, I would even go the extent of asking everyone to go through the process (properly) again and if they fail the test, cancel their license. Yeah, I know, I am dreaming.

I know everyone is guilty here, but for simplicity sake, the onus should be on the people to get to the know the rules better and follow them or pay hefty fines.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:39   #66
J.B
BHPian

A lot of you have mentioned a need for more stringent laws at the time of issuing license, although it is logical, I feel the bigger problem is even if a person complies to all the rules during the driving test, it does not guarantee he will be a safe driver in the future, unless he is a completely self disciplined person.

Simple rules like ' driving in the opposite side is unlawful ' or ' driving in the night without headlamps is unlawful ' are known to everyone and they still disobey them because they are not enforced.

I think the need of the hour is a major revamp of the security and enforcement system in our country. A country with billion people should have a strong and sophisticated police force with high integrity, freedom, and respect.

But the babus and other powerful people who form the upper crust of our society would always want the cops to salute them and be their servants, so I doubt if they possess the will to empower them.
Old 10th June 2014, 11:26   #67
CPJ
BHPian

Redrafting the Indian Motor Vehicle Law is a good move by the Government and would be a big step forward in making the roads safer. However I feel it needs to be supported by:
  1. Strict enforcement of the rule at the ground level.
  2. Making fine payment process corruption proof, so that nobody can get away after breaking the rules by paying a small bribe.
  3. Giving Traffic Police modern equipments along with better vehicles to monitor and nab offenders.
  4. Implementing steps to improve driving conditions in city as well as highways.
  5. Introduction of Daily Driving limit of 10 hours in a day especially for Truck and Lorry drivers.
Old 10th June 2014, 16:42   #68
BHPian

Something related to the topic under discussion and what UK is trying to make people obey traffic rules

gist :

Level 1 Up from £200 to £800. Includes unauthorised cycle racing on public ways.

Level 2 From £500 to £2,000. Includes driving a motor cycle without a protective helmet.

Level 3 From £1,000 to £4,000. Includes the sale of alcohol to a drunk person or being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

Level 4 From £2,500 to £10,000. Includes speeding on the motorway.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...rates-can-fine
Old 10th June 2014, 23:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sure we all know the rules exist, but then acciddents are happening inspite of that?
Are we Indians so indisciplined that we need a traffic warden at every signal?

I have quoted these rules probably because I've seen them been broken many times over and innocent people paying the price.

A good way to start may be by introducing a subject like 'Road sense and discipline' at high school.

I am sure fellow Team BHPians will agree that rules are no rules until they are followed.
Old 11th June 2014, 09:22   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
Sure we all know the rules exist, but then acciddents are happening inspite of that?

I am sure fellow Team BHPians will agree that rules are no rules until they are followed.
So we are agreeing to the point that it's NOT the absence of rules, rather the lack of enforcement that is the issue! The laws are fine, but people care two hoots as they very well know they can easily get away even if they break it.

The BEST way to enforce this is heavy fines and a proper way of levying it.
Old 11th June 2014, 10:07   #71
BHPian

Well now that the government has woken up that they need to redraft the Motor Vehicle Act, I feel that they should look into small small innovations that the youth is coming up in different colleges or institutes which then actually go unnoticed and sidelined due to unavailability of finance or backing to implement new ideas.

4 people from the IES College of Technology, Bhopal seem to have come up with an idea (which I would not say that it would be a new idea as others too may have thought of it) which should encouraged, tested and if found good should be put to use.

http://innovationjockeys.net/past-se...ails.php?id=28
Old 11th June 2014, 10:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
First, a personal wish. Can anything be done to revert back the blanket ban on sun-films to allow at the very least heat reduction, may be with the mildest of tints? It is actually a cruelty to leave motor users out in the Indian summer heat, A/C or not.

Next is to instill road discipline. We can adhere perfectly to foreign laws on a foreign land, but not here. There should be some way out of this.
I believe allowing sun-films albeit with some regulations should be implemented in the new Act. Here, in mumbai there is constant harrassment from the traffic cops to remove the film. Without the film, the Airconditioner is almost redundant and not of much use. The traffic cops should understand that it is only an Order of the Supreme Court. A notification to that effect has to be issued and necessary amendments have to be incorporated in the Act which will empower them to levy penalty or fines and give some clarity on the whole issue. The provision has to be challenged when it is seeked to be introduced in the Act. Nowhere in other parts of the world such arbitrary and authoritarian attitude is prevalent. Hope, the new Govt. steps in to rectify the issue.
Old 12th June 2014, 12:28   #73
BHPian

Good initiative. Our laws are archaic and are probably valid only for ‘horse-drawn’ carriages!

My 2 pennies here:

1. Continuous awareness and education of road rules to ALL drivers and users of roads
2. Better roads with proper signage, signaling, lanes, medians, walk-ways, foot-paths etc.
3. Improve public transport – Much needed one for a populous country like India
4. Robust Licensing and renewal every 3 or 5 years.
5. Heavier fines – like revoking license, impounding the vehicle etc. - for not abiding to rules
6. Fast-tracking of cases and concluding them
7. Strive to keep poor maintained vehicles away from roads. Many times they are the source of obstruction – either too slow or a break-down in the middle of a busy stretch.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:37   #74
BANNED

It's a good initiative and had to start at some point.

I fear though that in a justifiable urgency to curb things, speed limits might go down. Retroactive considering vehicles are getting better and old speed limits were unrealistically low.

I feel enforcement is the best cure. Not just for speed with cameras, but all errant behavior.

IMHO, The best way to achieve this is to have Traffic Police "Cruisers". A city should/could/and can afford a few hundred cops on Motorcycles just cruising and handing out fines. Any errant behavior should be stopped on the spot and fined.

Just the fear that these "Cruisers" are out on the streets should be deterrent enough for a large majority to start abiding.

But this will require changing the Traffic Penal codes, and more importantly, diligent police concerned more about doing their job than padding pockets.

Cheers.

Drive Safe
Old 12th June 2014, 14:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
...4 people from the IES College of Technology, Bhopal seem to have come up with an idea (which I would not say that it would be a new idea as others too may have thought of it) which should encouraged, tested and if found good should be put to use...
I had read this article and didn't find anything new! All what is written is that they want to have GPS system connected so that they can track the vehicle. Though the initial part of the article says "rash drivers can be identified"; but a mere GPS would NOT prove it's rash driving? Or what is their definition of rash driving?

While I agree that there could be some really good innovations from the college projects, the above one doesn't make a cut, for me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks