Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 18:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law

Rash cannot be defined. An autorickshaw driving at 60 kmph is speeding. A 100 cc motorcycle at 90 kmph is speeding. A water lorry/ city bus at 50 kmph is speeding. A BMW at 120 kmph is not speeding. Quality and technology in vehicles is very variable. Especially in India where even 25 year old mopeds are still running. Just booking a vehicle for rash and negligent driving just because of the speed at which it was travelling or because it is the bigger one in an incident is not just.
All events must be monitored to arrive at a cause of an incident. This needs monitoring of all roads. I have justified this in my post here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3450320
So it cannot be impossible to have traffic cams and people to monitor it. The absolute numbers may seem high, but the relative numbers are among the lowest in the world. This would have the advantage of preventing crime too.
Once people realize that they cannot get away just because they have the smallest vehicle on the road or that they are so well connected, a lot of incidents will be prevented.
One law that I would like is permitting video evidence in court. I understand that audio is allowed but video is not. Lawyers please enlighten.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quick question and may have already been addressed earlier in the thread (A search did not yield any results)
Who are the experts who are drafting/re-drafting these rules? Is there a citizen charter involved? Any of the public involved in providing views?

Of all the things that I would like to be changed, these two are top of the mill.
1. PLEASE allow some tint on the glasses.
2. Increase the fines for every traffic violations and ensure (somehow) the fines are implemented.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:11   #78
BHPian

I laud the new Governments efforts to bring a change to our archaic laws. In order to bring discipline to our chaotic driving, the insurance laws need to also be amended.
In the US, the insurance for a vehicle is based on who will drive stand what is the history of the driver. If a driver has had a history of accidents, the premium is a lot higher.
Also, some cars have a higher insurance based on statistics e.g. a Red coloured sports car driven by a young woman will have a higher insurance premium than the same black coloured car driven by a 40+ male.
In India, if someone has banged your car and you claim insurance, your NCB goes away as normally you would claim from your insurance if the cost of repairs is high. Theoretically, you should be claiming third party insurance from the company that the other car is insured with. I believe this process takes years - so out of sheer frustration, one has to forego their own NCB. I sincerely hope that laws are changed to facilitate quick redressal of claims and that we develop competent persons to determine who was at fault in an accident to address the claims. Needless to say, the insurance premium of the person at fault will increase at the next renewal.
Old 8th July 2014, 20:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

I hope the new MVA will address the road tax issue. I Plan to shift from chennai to Bangalore soon. If old law, I need to pay 1.5 lakhs for my 6 year old city and 4 year old Figo as tax. And news on the ETA of the new law?
Old 9th July 2014, 10:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Rash cannot be defined. An autorickshaw driving at 60 kmph is speeding. A 100 cc motorcycle at 90 kmph is speeding. A water lorry/ city bus at 50 kmph is speeding. A BMW at 120 kmph is not speeding. Quality and technology in vehicles is very variable. Especially in India where even 25 year old mopeds are still running. Just booking a vehicle for rash and negligent driving just because of the speed at which it was travelling or because it is the bigger one in an incident is not just.
All events must be monitored to arrive at a cause of an incident. This needs monitoring of all roads. I have justified this in my post here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3450320
So it cannot be impossible to have traffic cams and people to monitor it. The absolute numbers may seem high, but the relative numbers are among the lowest in the world. This would have the advantage of preventing crime too.
Once people realize that they cannot get away just because they have the smallest vehicle on the road or that they are so well connected, a lot of incidents will be prevented.
One law that I would like is permitting video evidence in court. I understand that audio is allowed but video is not. Lawyers please enlighten.
Will it be appropriate to define rash in terms of momentum rather than speed. Imagine a fully loaded car going at 140+ kmph or a fully laden truck going at 80 kmph.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:52   #81
BHPian

Speed is not really an issue.

The problem is more erratic driving, without proper signaling.

Case in point "right indicator to say please pass on the right".

Speeding is a relatively minor crime compared to driving the wrong way on the highway,
the act needs to reflect that.

Also the police need to inspect vehicles for proper tires/lights etc which pose a huge risk to other road users.

I also agree with the requirement for sun film in India.

300 days of sunshine/year with out sun film is painful.

The road quality in Germany is not all that much better than in India(NH only) ,
but a minimum speed limit and disciplined driving allows them to carry so much more speed.

Recently some Canadian state increased the speed limit with a change in policing to encourage disciplined driving.
Hopefully our government will take a similar scientific view instead of making speeding the bogeyman.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:04   #82
BHPian

We need to:
- carefully redesign each and every road junction.
- introduce lanes and white lane indicators on the road. Even reducing width of roads is good for the flow of traffic
- strictly enforce right way and priority rules
- Introduce round-abouts
- start with highways and urban roads

Very nice read: http://www.mnt.ee/failid/Safe_Road_D...nual_FINAL.pdf

Wish there was a way to participate with the ministry while drafting rules and implementing them - many BHPians could contribute greatly with the wealth of experience!
Old 9th July 2014, 20:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

@suresh_gs: how about an autorickshaw weaving through thick traffic at 20 kmph? Or a cyclist in the right lane crossing to the left turn at a signal. Or a city bus racing between bus stops at 40 kmh?
I always felt that speed governors installed in vehicles don't serve any purpose. It is the rate of acceleration that is more important in city traffic. Our governments formulate law based on statistics. That mostly considers only death on roads. But the bigger burden is accidents which never get reported.
I am sure everyone of us on this forum will have had an accident at least. I've had several. But how many of them were statistically counted. Assuming minimum damage, it means about 10k per incident. Of course human life is priceless, but the other incidents should also be covered. Just because insurance pays for it does not mean it is less traumatic.
Old 16th July 2014, 21:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has said it needs three months to review the current Act and thereafter will introduce it afresh in Parliament.
ET has quoted Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari as ;
Quote:
"We need three months to study the (Motor Vehicle) Act in its totality and then we will try and bring it in Parliament in its next session."
Source: http://articles.economictimes.indiat...nce-parliament
Old 16th July 2014, 21:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has said it needs three months to review the current Act and thereafter will introduce it afresh in Parliament.
ET has quoted Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari as ;

Source: http://articles.economictimes.indiat...nce-parliament
A welcome step. If only they can also do something to regulate the menace of battery powered unlicensed vehicles on the streets - it will be icing on the cake!
Old 5th August 2014, 12:06   #86
BHPian

My request to Government
- One Country One Registration.
- Yearly road Tax / Registration Payments (Online)
- More Options for Address Proof Documents for Vehicle Registration / license
- Fine to be sent directly to the postal Address; in case of non payment heavy penalty should be charged.
-Traffic Rule Violation’s should attract fine equivalent to what is being charged in European countries.
ajay4060 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 22:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
- Fine to be sent directly to the postal Address; in case of non payment heavy penalty should be charged.
I doubt if the fine can be sent directly to the postal address in majority of the cases as people are on the move. They at a place for few months and then shift to a new house or city.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:08   #88
BHPian

Just to highlight concern raised by you I have mentioned this point. I change my house but least bothered to change my address with RTO. In case I have to pay yearly taxes/ or need to renew my Registration; any such Penalty can be charged along with the renewal. So I will be forced to change my address with RTO.
The biggest problem is our system with many loopholes for e.g. I am having Bank Pass Book/ Gas Connections; working in Mumbai for last 4 years but to get my car registration I need Voter ID / Passport/ Registered Rent Agreement or the 5 /6 list of Documents listed in the RTO Rule Book; so I can’t buy a car in Mumbai.
But if I pay a bribe; I can get my car registered. If I pay bribe I get my license; if I pay bribe I can get rid of Penalty etc etc...
Unless we are forced to follow the rules; we are not going to follow it, but again the rule has to be simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I doubt if the fine can be sent directly to the postal address in majority of the cases as people are on the move. They at a place for few months and then shift to a new house or city.
ajay4060 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:06   #89
BHPian

During my Recent drive to Lucknow Via Ahemdabad/ Udiapur / Delhi from Mumbai; I came across few incidences which made me upset.

Why the life of a common Indian is so cheap. Is Government responsible for this or we as a citizen. Why we can’t make some strict rules against these taxi operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
My request to Government
- One Country One Registration.
- Yearly road Tax / Registration Payments (Online)
- More Options for Address Proof Documents for Vehicle Registration / license
-Traffic Rule Violation’s should attract fine equivalent to what is being charged in European countries.
Attached Thumbnails
Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law-20140809_142301.jpg  

Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law-20140809_153321_v1.jpg  

Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law-20140809_163338_v1.jpg  

Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law-20140813_092635_v1.jpg  

Old 13th September 2014, 18:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

According to ibn report, the bill draft is ready, and the govt is contemplating on getting public opinion, before taking to parliament.

Source: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/centre-pu.../498401-3.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks