Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2014, 10:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law

The highway stretch between Vashi to Chembur has been relaid & widened into a 6 lane highway. Even now on that stretch, big stones are lying in the right most lane. Sometimes you also come across small mound of sand which can be fatal to biker's. How has this road been thrown open to traffic? Let's start with the basic's first. The government has a long way to go to get their house in order. First do these things then start fining motorist's. This mai baap attitude of the government has to change. Wonder if it will ever.
Old 8th June 2014, 12:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Can they make the handling of insurance complaints easier? It should be very easy to get the amount from the party that errs without the court system getting involved for all cases. The present system is cumbersome and waste of time and the party not in the wrong has to bear the increase in premiums.
Old 8th June 2014, 12:26   #48
J.B
BHPian

I think even in developed countries people follow the rules strictly because of the fear of being caught and the consequences that follow, although one could argue they are more disciplined. It is human tendency to err and unless strict laws are enforced consistently, people will not change.

In the U.S if I speed:
1. Firstly, there is a good probability of getting caught, thanks to speed traps and random cops with speed guns and even other road users could call 911 and you can get caught.
2. I am looking at a minimum fine of around 200$ (which is no small change).
3. A black point on my license.
4. Increase in insurance rates.

In India:
1. There is a high probability I will never be caught.
2. Even if I am caught, I could probably talk my way out by paying a petty bribe.
3. Even if I choose to pay the fine, it would still be manageable (especially if one can afford a car).
4. The fine is same for speeding and reckless driving, so I can afford to be a maniac, if I want to.

I think a good first step would be for all goverment officials and politicians to wear seat belts atleast after the recent incident. It is a shame that even simple things are taken for granted in our country. I still find it hard to convince even my educated relatives and friends to wear seat belts. It is not that they dont know the importance of it, it is just the attitude.
J.B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:37   #49
BHPian

An interesting thread and a big thanks to the new government for at least saying that they would like to change the existing MV Act. When will it be done, lets wait and watch.

Before the law is changed, the following need to be kept in mind:

1. India is still a big village, except for a few big cities. The attitude of most people in the village is "we have been doing it this way for so many years and this is our land, so we will not change" - All Indians have to be educated on the how to behave on the road's, irrespective of whether internal or highways - Can we do it?

2. We are the second largest in the world in terms of population and so our vehicle population and the roads/public transport have to be better streamlined before we can thing of implementing the european/american mv laws.

3. Initial policing to the scale being done in China may be needed, can we do it?

Feel free to add on.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:04   #50
BHPian

IMO, the govt needs to make sure, that political parties do not use the party flag on their vehicle. This is a reason for some rash driving from drivers, as they think that there is nobody to question them or book them under any section. They just flaunt their flag and get away without any fine or penalty, and are the primary offenders for road accidents (They just honk your life away, if you do not give them way).
Old 9th June 2014, 12:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B View Post
In the U.S if I speed:
1. Firstly, there is a good probability of getting caught, thanks to speed traps and random cops with speed guns and even other road users could call 911 and you can get caught.
2. I am looking at a minimum fine of around 200$ (which is no small change).
3. A black point on my license.
4. Increase in insurance rates.

In India:
1. There is a high probability I will never be caught.
2. Even if I am caught, I could probably talk my way out by paying a petty bribe.
3. Even if I choose to pay the fine, it would still be manageable (especially if one can afford a car).
4. The fine is same for speeding and reckless driving, so I can afford to be a maniac, if I want to.

As I mentioned at least 10 times on this forum in different threads, correction is not what we need. What we need is Corrective Action for our existing failures and Preventive Action where the govt./traffic dept. can use their brain for once!

I don't think that ours laws are as weak as they are made out to be. Its the execution which belittles whatever minor good our laws stand for.

A 100 rupee fine is not a problem but how about when you start paying it for every rule you break. A reckless driver wouldn't be as reckless if he knows that every time he speeds or crosses a stop line or changes lane incorrectly etc. he'd have somebody challaning him for 100 rupees and putting a star on his license each time.

We have ample road/traffic laws but not even 1/10 the force to execute it in such a manner that people start fearing breaking laws. As of now nobody (including me) fears breaking a traffic law because we know that a 100 rupee note is going to get us our of trouble 9 out of 10 times and I would be caught 10 times across 5-10 years!
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:25   #52
BHPian

I think awareness too is also a big issue, people aren't afraid of the RTO. They underestimate the consequences of breaking laws. Even if the penalties were increased for breaking traffic rules the consequences were now the traffic police demands higher bribe.

People still drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid a u turn 100 meters ahead. I am not sure what will change the attitude of people. I have often faced this when you are driving at 80 to 100 kmph and at a crossing there would always be several bikers or 4 wheelers that will continue to cross even after noticing the approaching car or the red signal.

This couldn't be stopped by amendment in laws or by reinforcing higher penalty but can only be done when there's change in mentality of the people.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2014 at 17:40. Reason: Typos
Slush_Traveller is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th June 2014, 13:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

You have mentioned many points that Modi needs to address. But you have left out the most important GOOD ROADS. We request the govt. to provide pothole free roads. We are paying tax every month. Half of the amount we pay is more than enough for maintaining the roads but is the govt really doing it??. They should be answerable to the public.
Last but not the least, let there be proper coordination between the water supply board, telecom dept, electricity board and BBMP (in the case of bangalore) before laying a new road.
Old 9th June 2014, 15:39   #54
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law

In India, getting a DL is damn easy but driving is difficult. In foreign countries, this is just opposite - getting a valid DL is very touch (theory & practical tests etc), but driving is easy and enjoyable..

My 2 cents

1. Design and create a Indian drivers handbook (based on Road structure, traffic rules etc)
2. Redesign and develop roads based on driver's handbook
3. Update handbook regularly
4. All training institute (driving schools) should follow this handbook and conduct online exam.
5. Practical tests should be made very strict. (eg: To do a reverse parking on a slope between two cars)
6. Include First Aid practice in the tests.
7. Revalidate all present driving licenses!!!

Outsourcing to private agencies like MRF or Maruti can also be looked into.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 16:44   #55

High time the laws need to be updated. The fine system should be based on the inflation, value of our currency and per-capita income of the citizens. Otherwise even the new fine rates would be below par after few years.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Along with all the points mentioned here already, the signal lights should also be standardized.

Right here in Bangalore, the signal lights work differently at different junctions. At one junction, one green straight arrow keeps blinking while the red light is glowing. That is supposed mean that straight signal is open but right turn is closed. However, same message is conveyed at another signal with a fully glowing green straight arrow and with all other lights switched off.

I am pretty sure that local authorities of other cities use some other innovative ways to convey the same message.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:51   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
[*]Centralizing data to check misuse of driving licenses
Single most important point in my view. Couple this with stricter enforcement/cancellation on license on repeat offences and it will surely reduce the number of unsafe drivers.
Old 9th June 2014, 18:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

All these proposed laws are fine, but one important point that people have not discussed is public utility vehicles.
Buses, water lorries, postal trucks, school buses, police jeeps, minister/ party vehicles, etc. None of these vehicles have to adhere to common law. A bus driver can jump a signal and a police man will not curb him as the maximum punishment is going to be 3 months suspension with pay. All these vehicles have public support as they are for the people. The rules that you guys are discussing do not apply to them. So there is not going to be any improvement. What's the point of leaving a lane signal open if the signal is blocked by a bus?
I think that first govt. vehicles should be brought under the purview of the RTO and Traffic police and rule breakers should be treated as bribe takers.
Agreed suspending a driver of a bus for jumping the signal and making him pay a fine is like stealing his livelihood, but law must be blind.
Where is JUDGE DREDD??
Old 9th June 2014, 19:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Centralizing data to check misuse of driving licenses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Single most important point in my view. Couple this with stricter enforcement/cancellation on license on repeat offences and it will surely reduce the number of unsafe drivers.
Do we not have a centralized database for PAN Cards? Need I say more

I would say getting a fake address proof is far easier than getting a fake Date of Birth proof that PAN Card requires, still I personally know at least a dozen ex-colleagues who had more than one PAN card.

Its like having state of the art security system with security guards guarding the only entrance. Just that those security guards give two hoots about who's coming and who's going out with what. As long as that security guard doesn't fear that not doing his job is going to get him fired, no amount of investment in other security gadgetry would help.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 19:55   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any way that we can make them understand the importance of sunfilms and the problems that law is causing. Hopefully they can amend it and allow the usual 50/70% visibility films on the glasses.

May be we can write up an application and get all the members here to sign it and even ask our family and friends to sign up.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks