Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 18:57   #166
BANNED

Re: Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Those looking to buy a new car in the coming years could be required to submit a proof of parking. Without it, the authorities are not likely to register your vehicle.

Under the Road Transport & Safety Bill 2014, the Government of India is looking to make it mandatory to have a parking lot before a person buys a car.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
High time they bring and implement this rule. In some of the places in old Bangalore, both sides of the road are occupied by cars parked outside for the simple reason that they never had parking space within the compound and with just the middle part of the small 15Ft road available for usage. If you vehicles come in the opposite direction, you are in for some family drama on who would back up first.
Old 25th November 2014, 19:10   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Those looking to buy a new car in the coming years could be required to submit a proof of parking. Without it, the authorities are not likely to register your vehicle.

Under the Road Transport & Safety Bill 2014, the Government of India is looking to make it mandatory to have a parking lot before a person buys a car.

Very good move but if not implemented well - it will create another loop hole for RTO to seek bribe. Soon RTO agents will start charging extra 10-20k to forge the 'Proof of Parking'
pahwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 19:38   #168
BHPian

Sorry for being the nay sayer, but I don't think this is the right way. Fining an out of way parking sounds more correct and implementable.

The proposed has a lot of loop holes and asks for unnecessary documentation. A lot of folks live in rented houses and agreements may not carry the car park clause (Mine doesn't).

What if I buy the car and then shift house ?

The correct way should be fining and towing away vehicles which are a menace to public and occupy road space. But that's not easy to implement as well. May be they should start with busy areas in cities.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 21:13   #169
BHPian

The so called "Road Transport & Safety Bill 2014" is nothing but a copy paste job of traffic laws from different states in the US and other countries in Europe. In fact the fines calculated are nothing but the respective US dollars/Euro converted to Indian Rupees.

To show that the government is doing something, they bring up half baked cut and copy paste laws without any analysis of local conditions or ground reality. I think this is the level of incompetency that we should expect thanks to the transport minister who doesn't even bother to follow already existing laws in the first place.

There is going to be havoc on the streets when these so called "new" laws come into effect. I can't imagine the boom in number of genuine rule following folks who are going to be harassed and imprisoned for some of the laws in this bill and as always, the guilty will go scot-free.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 23:32   #170
MHG
BHPian

Quote:

This is simply brilliant!

The rule should be extended to all cities IMO and even for existing vehicles (worst case scenario - catch owners at the time of registration renewal). Existing vehicles should be taxed if the owner does not provide proof of parking and the tax should be equal to the rent of land at their current residence per unit measure multiplied by the surface area of the vehicle in including an extra 70cm on all four sides (to account for the fact that two vehicles cannot be parked right next to each other) with extra fines for congested areas.

I have seen lots of families in Bangalore who buy 2 or more cars and park them outside their house (after putting no parking sign boards in front of the house gate) as if they own the road on which the vehicle is parked. This is creating a congestion problem in the small lanes in residential areas. These arrogant morons should be punished.

Also, it is about time vehicle weight, vehicle surface area and CO2 emissions become factors in calculating road tax (which further needs to become one India one tax) instead of the current unscientific method of using engine displacement.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 23:59   #171
BHPian

It just looks as if our government is trying to pass the buck to the general public in an effort to conceal their own failures in providing a proper public transport, the absence of which forces us to use private vehicles. To look at the bigger picture, there are already more than 82 lakh vehicles (and counting) running on the streets of a state like delhi with a population of 2.5 crore. Most of these are parked on the roads and streets, in absence of proper parking space which the government is bound to provide as they are already charging road tax and parking charges during the registration of the vehicles, which make the already congested paths narrower and difficult to drive, and this is just a single state I’m talking about. Until our government makes some genuine efforts regarding these and provides an efficient public transport system (which imo doesn’t seem likely in the near future) nothing concrete is about to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Government of India to redraft 26-year old Indian Motor Vehicle Law-vehicles.jpg  

luvtandon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 00:27   #172
BHPian

The report mentions that proof of parking would be required in congested metros. In that case, some migrants like me will buy the vehicle in my state and drive over!!
Old 26th November 2014, 08:54   #173
BHPian

Though the new laws seem promising, they may only turn out to be tools of harassment for the corrupt law enforcement officials. Unless this aspect is addressed, no amount of laws will do any good in this country. The already law abiding will work harder to follow the new laws, the law evading will continue to evade all laws, old and new, much to the glee of the corrupt enforcement officials.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:42   #174
BHPian

Not sure if the lawmakers have considered the bigger picture. As some members already mentioned, what about migrants who have moved to the metro cities. I have a marked parking in my society but my rent agreement doesn't mention it. Maybe the rent agreement needs to be changed in the future to include this clause.
Also, in spite of the Supreme court ruling against selling parking spaces, the practice is rampant today. If such law comes into picture, the builder lobby might hike up the prices even more.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:55   #175
BHPian

It's not a wise move at all. Now in a case when I've been allocated 2 car parks by my Housing Society then in that case how will the RTO check if I'm already not using those 2 parkings ? If I buy a 3rd car then how will they check? What will happen to cars which are registered in Corporate/ Office name? Obviously those cars are given to executives and are all the time with the employee , what will be the check on this?
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:13   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
It just looks as if our government is trying to pass the buck to the general public in an effort to conceal their own failures in providing a proper public transport, the absence of which forces us to use private vehicles.

Quote:
Until our government makes some genuine efforts regarding these and provides an efficient public transport system (which imo doesn’t seem likely in the near future) nothing concrete is about to happen.
The capital region has one of the best public transport in the country - Delhi Metro. It might be crowded during peak hours but it is nowhere as crowded as Mumbai Local. In near future it is only going to improve. Whole of Delhi is under construction

Plus, you have DTC/cluster buses, Gramin Sevas, Cycle rickshaws and now the E-rickshaws. What else do you want?

Quote:
To look at the bigger picture, there are already more than 82 lakh vehicles (and counting) running on the streets of a state like delhi with a population of 2.5 crore. Most of these are parked on the roads and streets, in absence of proper parking space which the government is bound to provide as they are already charging road tax and parking charges during the registration of the vehicles, which make the already congested paths narrower and difficult to drive and this is just a single state I’m talking about.
This needs to stop! The average no. of cars in Delhi/NCR per family is 2-3. And in most of the residential areas cars are parked outside the houses, on the streets! Leaving very little to no space for 2 vehicles to pass.

In housing apartments, you have to buy a parking space. If I have 2 cars I pay for extra space unless the builder is providing 2 parking slots (Which is again paid). In Delhi it is on the streets and no one has to pay for it (Please correct me if I am wrong), except for NDMC paring or Market places or Malls.

Don't now about other cities but Delhi/NCR needs this rule for sure.

More statistics can be found here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3414096

Last edited by sinharishi : 26th November 2014 at 10:17.
Old 26th November 2014, 10:21   #177
BHPian

Quote:
It just looks as if our government is trying to pass the buck to the general public in an effort to conceal their own failures in providing a proper public transport, the absence of which forces us to use private vehicles. To look at the bigger picture,
Perfectly nailed it. Their incompetence levels to be hidden under archaic laws. There are already laws to penalize illegally parked vehicles. When the government says they want to minimize and simplify laws, then why add a couple more on top of that.

Also, as you said the main point of incompetent being - The Total Failure of Public Transport System. Give us a good public transport system without draining the taxpayers money (on everyone knows what) and you will see the reduction in private vehicle use.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:49   #178
BHPian

Quote:
The capital region has one of the best public transport in the country - Delhi Metro.
Quote:
Plus, you have DTC/cluster buses, Gramin Sevas, Cycle rickshaws and now the E-rickshaws. What else do you want?

If this is the best transport system then it is an irony for our capital. It may be the best in the country but that would make it a figure among ciphers i.e. a one eyed king among the blinds. The Delhi Metro consists of six lines, with a total length of 190km’s, that looks to be huge but then the bigger picture is that it is in a state that covers an area of 1484 sq. km’s, has a road network of 28,508 km in length and boasts of a population of more than 2.5 crores and counting. Now looking at these figures does it not look to be puny. Further to state, the Delhi-Metro is limited to only few places and fails to provide point to point connectivity. What about those places which are not covered by the metro. The feeder buses associated with delhi metro are sparse and most of the time do not run on the prescribed routes and schedules. We know that delhi also has Gramin Sewa, Cycle Richshaw but how good they are in providing services in a commute from point A to B if the distance to be travelled is more than 2-3 kms. The E-rickshaws being talked about have already been termed illegal and are banned from running. The DTC/Cluster bus drivers are the most rash and negligent ones, with a record 239 accidents to their credit in the past five years and these are just reported figures, minor ones that go unreported are much more. These lapses in the public transport are the main reason that Delhi itself accounts for more motor vehicles than Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai combined.

Quote:
It might be crowded during peak hours but it is nowhere as crowded as Mumbai Local.
Again when we talk about the Mumbai local, we forget to account that Mumbai is a city which is spread in length and Delhi is a state that is spread in all directions therefore making it difficult to cater the transport issue with a single line of local train. Delhi also has its share of EMU’s but they also fail to provide the much needed point to point connectivity.

People are forced to park in the streets, on the roads, outside their homes and other people’s homes also, which even leads to a lot of road rage, but they are forced to do so in absence of proper parking spaces. This was the reason that we chose to leave space for parking our two cars within our home even after having an option to park upto 5 cars outside along the boundary of the home.

Quote:
And in most of the residential areas cars are parked outside the houses, on the streets!
Still I empathise with those who have no other option but to leave their cars on road with the peril of damage and theft as enough parking spaces have not been provided by our government even after charging road tax and parking charges.

All-in-all the situation looks to be gloomy until our government wakes up to the need of an effective and efficient public transport network instead of making laws which go against the public and do not look feasible at the face itself.
luvtandon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 14:21   #179
BHPian

Quote:
These lapses in the public transport are the main reason that Delhi itself accounts for more motor vehicles than Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai combined.

Still I empathise with those who have no other option but to leave their cars on road with the peril of damage and theft as enough parking spaces have not been provided by our government even after charging road tax and parking charges.
How does these lapses justify an average of 3 cars per family? I had a tough time staying in West Delhi battling it out every day for parking a small hatch!

IMO, there is enough place available to park vehicles in the city. But if there is going to be an average of 2-3 cars per family, then authorities will have to do something to control it.

Delhi Metro is going to provide better connectivity in the coming years and very few days ago, union transport minister gave a green flag to E-rickshaws.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:45   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

For all its metro connectivity, Delhi suffers so badly in last mile connectivity, that if you want to move more than a kilometer to or from a metro station, you're always going to end up taking your car.
My house has four cars because there are four working people, and metro gets us only to the general area.
The metro feeders are pointless, rickety, dirty, and unreliable.
The autos outside the Delhi metro stations will gyp you out of your underwear, and the ncr autos will stuff you in till sardine level attachment with your neighbor is attained, usually with a strong seal of body odor.
Throw in the basic lack of civility, like sticking to queues, or abiding by basic science that people need to get off before there can be space to get in, then, although it's a god send, the metro, there's still a lot of junta in Delhi for whom it doesn't make sense.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks