Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 22:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: June 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Finally the most awaited thread of every month is published !!! My take on this-

MSIL-
A 76% MOM increase in Alto and 45% in Wagon-R sales is just mind-blowing. Goes to show the trust of first time buyers in this brand. I am quite stunned to see that merely Alto sales are almost equal to the combined sales of Hyundai. However, the decrease in sales of Swift/Dzire is due to the new facelift that is expected this month. This info was shared by local MS dealer when I had visited them to test drive a Swift ZDi along with my uncle. Also it seems Grand Vitara is discontinued as I casually asked them about it and they said Maruti has stopped accepting bookings for this SUV. However Kizashi is still available on demand as per them. Overall, a very good month for Maruti.

Hyundai
This company has delivered some of the most well rounded packages across segments, but it seems to be suffering from product cannibalization. Grand i10 came and cannibalized i20 while Xcent came and hit Grand i10. One can easily see that after launch of Grand i10 siblings, sales of Santro, Eon and old gen i10 has fallen. In order to beat Maruti, they need to check that.

Honda
A new entrant in top 3-this company has potential to easily grasp the second spot. The way I see, if Honda launches Jazz and Mobilio with attacking price tags and with multiple engine options, and once they sort out their production constraint, they can easily breach the 30k mark.

TATA-
They need to do something quick. Once a regular visitor to the 20k mark, it is now reduced to ashes. I just can't get one thing, and I hope fellow members will excuse me for being a bit harsh- If a relatively poor company like Maruti Suzuki( they are definitely not that big in terms of sales and funds globally) can do, why can't TATA?? Maruti doesn't has a free hand in spending money on R&D's. But TATA?? They have the means, they have the technology. Then what is the issue in delivering?? The other day, I read GTO sir's disappointing comment that TATA's are considering their Revotron as a stop gap measure untill their All-aluminuim units are ready. This clearly shows lack of will . Why not use JLR engineers to design a good car for them?? Honda's rise of fortunes in India should be studied carefully by TATA. I was once a fan of TATA, and was proud of them. But their strategies have made me to bash them openly.

Nano was such a fine concept. If anything is responsible for its doom, its TATA themselves. Firstly they launch a semi baked product with multiple glitches. Above that, they market the car as world's cheapest car. They forgot that cars in India, and specially entry level cars have a prestige factor/aspirational value associated with it. No 2 wheeler owner would want to be seen in a car marketed as CHEAP, and also spend for it !!! Rather He/She would spend a bit more(negligible in terms of EMI) and opt for a M800/Alto/Eon/Spark which are both a well engineered product and is perceived premium in our mindset. We all remember Maruti's Mera Sapna, Meri Maruti AD. That's the way to make someone aspire for your product.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2014 at 13:53. Reason: Adding some paragraph spaces to aid readability :)
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 22:57   #17
BHPian

There were some predictions of Amaze getting hit due to Xcent. Well it seems to be back and handsomely. The Xcent I guess will moderate now and slowly settle into a good avg 6-7k a month. Interesting to see Celerio numbers going down is it because of the bookings? Dzire has shown a significant drop of close 3k is it because of the Amaze and Xcent? Interesting times for the industry and I am loving the competition
Old 11th July 2014, 23:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
very good analysis Adithya. hats off..

I am just wondering how could Wagon R [ it's still a 12 year [+] model after all ] sell so much vehicles last month.
I believe they launched a new model WagonR four years ago.
Happy to see that both the Amaze and City are selling more than their Hyundai counterparts and also people are appreciating the strengths of the Camry over the Superb. (Jap bias )

But whatever you guys say, especially since it's the most hated car here in TeamBHP, have to give it to the ol' venerable Omni that still stays in the top 15 positions for a three decade old van. Only thing that will better it is a diesel engine, which in two years will come under the Eeco that was to replace Omni .
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 23:30   #19
BHPian

Better late than never- thanks for the statistics.Good to see overall car sales growing this month. Whatever happened to the Alto and the WagonR this month? Or rather, what happened to them the past few months? They had suddenly decliend from their usual levels. Looking at Maruti-Suzuki statistics, one cannot help but wonder why Maruti has only two types of cars- cash cows and duds. We might be seeing Ertiga at its peak, i forsee a decline next month onwards with the Mobilio coming in, and Datsun Go+ later on in the year.

Irrespective of the 50% + sales growth of the Maruti hatches, to me the story of the month clearly is Honda. With effectively only 2 selling models, it has dethroned the king of diesels, the venerable Mahindra. Honda sales will only increase by 5-7k units once the Mobilio and Jazz enter production. Even Mahindra suffers from the Maruti syndrome- customers have blind faith on some of their models (Bolero, Scorpio, XUV5OO, while have completely turned away from their other models (Verito, Quanto, Xylo).

The new Hyundai launches- Grandi10 and Xcent had a cold month, wonder why....did the Xcent suffer from a renewed interest in the Amaze? And why the sudden spike in Amaze sales, which also coincides with a proportional decline in Dzire sales? As far as i remember, Honda did not run any special promotional offer.

Ford seems to be upping domestic Ecosport deliveries. The appreciating rupee no longer favourable to exports? Rest of the line-up is in dire need of replacement, even though the Endeavor facelift has evinced some interest. The Corolla seems to be doing well- is it the new car effect? I somehow think it is overpriced, and even though no new D1 segment launches will happen, yet sales will settle down to 500 unit levels in the next few months. The D1 segment itself has grown this year, but largely driven by XUV sales. Btw I have heard that Fortuner waiting periods are coming down. Dealers in Delhi are now promising delivery in 3 weeks.

Chevrolet should ask itself the question "What am I doing in India". All that I hear from Fiat is plans, plans, plans. As far as walking the talk goes- it is still those two cars which are great but has not caught on the fancy of the customer (except for team-bhpians).

The Duster is the lifeline for Renault in India, accounting for 90% of their sales. Renault in turn is keeping its lifeline secure through special editions. Is the facelifted Sunny available? Might help to push up the sagging volumes for this fairly competent "check all the boxes" car. Yeti sold 2 units...people are aware of the soon to be launched updated model. Hope they launch a 1.2/1.4 TSI variant at 12 lakhs- am in the pipeline for one such abominable snowman!

Tata is in danger of completely losing it's customer mindshare. The Bolt and the Zest were needed last year. Am sceptical of their success so late in the day. The Germans are getting increasingly marginalized. If volumes remain as such, then likely that they will dial back their India expansion plans citing inclement conditions.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 11th July 2014 at 23:32.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 00:52   #20

Aditya,

Thanks for the efforts pal. Just like every other BHPian, had been eagerly waiting for this score card.

Like the numbers in the report speaks, I see Honda grabbed the Man of the Match award. I still remember GTO's article on Honda's way forward mantra for India, and seems like Honda had taken it's time in implementing it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-forward.html

Besides swift, the premium hatch segment someway not reflecting good numbers!!
Hope the coming soon, Honda Jazz and TATA Bolt will add some fire.

I believe TATA got good potential under its belt, but poor in using them. The Safari, Aria are absolutely brilliant products in their segments, can definitely give tough competition, if shaped and focused perfectly as per market trend. With an Indian heart, I wish them all luck in the coming months.
diliprayar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 02:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I really want to know how Ford produced 0 new Fiestas, and why VW produced 7 Passats in May.
Would love to get my hands on a Passat

That aside, surprised by the huge jump in sales for Amaze, and good to see an increase in the EcoSport Production.
Corolla is off to a great start as well, and the Camry seems to be becoming a popular choice slowly as well.
Old 12th July 2014, 03:12   #22
BANNED

Most awaited thread of the month but misses GTO's analysis.

Is the facelift of the Swift and Dzire that are in the pipeline the reason for the low sales for this month?

Honda is enjoying success, thanks to the Amaze and City (I-DTEC actually). Just waiting for the Mobilio to see how the figures scale up further.

Come on Tata get the Bolt and Zest quick to have customers for yourselves.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th July 2014 at 03:13.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 03:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Most awaited thread of the month but misses GTO's analysis.

Is the facelift of the Swift and Dzire that are in the pipeline the reason for the low sales for this month?

Honda is enjoying success, thanks to the Amaze and City (I-DTEC actually). Just waiting for the Mobilio to see how the figures scale up further.

Come on Tata get the Bolt and Zest quick to have customers for yourselves.

Anurag.
Haven't seen any news lately on these two so am not expecting them before festive season (along with i20) or maybe early next year (with jazz). As it is the changes are not major so people won't like to wait 6 months for those. This could b due to increased competition or just market slowdown.
Old 12th July 2014, 04:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Come on Tata get the Bolt and Zest quick to have customers for yourselves. Anurag.
Yes, Tata should introduce Bolt and Zest quickly to bolster their sales. I guess these two cars will be a game changer for Tata Motors.
Old 12th July 2014, 06:56   #25
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the most awaited thread of the month.

Good to see Honda moving up the chart and Mobilio & Jazz yet to join in.

Surprised to see huge up-swing in Alto & Wagon-R sales. Is Maruti running special scheme on these.

Sad to see Linea sales, seems preface lift was selling better, they need 1.6/1.5 multijet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I really want to know how Ford produced 0 new Fiestas,
Ford either have not released the nos or have clubbed with Fiesta classic.
We have a member here who brought home one last month.

Last edited by S.MJet : 12th July 2014 at 06:57.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 07:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

It maybe boring, uninspiring, and lack in safety features but the new Corolla has managed to sell more than the combined numbers of all the D1 segment sedans 922 v/s 898 (Cruze, Elantra, Fluence, Octavia, and the Jetta).
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 08:05   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Haven't seen any news lately on these two so am not expecting them before festive season (along with i20) or maybe early next year (with jazz). As it is the changes are not major so people won't like to wait 6 months for those. This could b due to increased competition or just market slowdown.
That is right. No great news from Maruti on the Swift and Dzire facelift as all energies are dedicated to the Ciaz and S-Cross.

I was surprised seeing the dip in figures thinking how could it be possible! Either the competition has better cars now or the customer is backing due to the possible facelift to prevent them from having an older model car. Nevertheless lets wait and see how and when Maruti responds to this wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Yes, Tata should introduce Bolt and Zest quickly to bolster their sales. I guess these two cars will be a game changer for Tata Motors.
Hopefully it helps Tata to come back in the game.

Anurag.
Old 12th July 2014, 08:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

The mystical cloud goes higher and the numbers from WagonR looks very impressive. If only MSIL gave it an AT!

'GO' is no go considering the segment that is in.

Why is there a nought against the new Fiesta in the month on month chart? Figo sales have tanked at 1479 units. And Amaze is back to the earlier numbers of 7K after the assault by City.

Santa Fe is moving well at 256 units. I am seeing many on roads here. Is Xcent pulling numbers from Grand?

Octavia numbers are also picking up at 232. Surprised to not see any on roads here considering KL is Skoda territory.

Impressive numbers for Corolla at 922. Let's see whether its optimism from Toyota or initial excitement from buyers. Fortuner now steady at 1400 units, the Liva around 1998. Tells you the story!

Looks like VW had a month to forget. Jetta the star there. The face-lifted Polo should see a good boost.
Old 12th July 2014, 10:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

If Maruti equips the Wagon-R with an AMT, it will surely kill Celerio IMHO. Celerio's sales are already dismal compared to what was expected, and whatever it is managing is mainly due to AMT.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 11:16   #30
BHPian

As per news reports, M&M sold 16,780 vehicles in June 2014. Since M&M didn't provide Thar numbers, I think we can assume that the difference between the total sales figure reported in news and those given to Team-BHP (16,045) will give us the figure for Thar. So 16780 - 16045 = ~ 735 Thars sold.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks