Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 11:22   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You have to live with the Punto for a considerable time before you get used to its power delivery. How old was the test drive car? The mjd for some reason in Fiat's takes some kms to open up completely.
The car barely had 2000 kms. on odo. However, the overall feeling of driving was towards a heavy side, be it steering or gearbox. Was not as smooth and light as Micra active. Yes, the biggest reason for not selecting Punto Evo was the engine, but steering also did play an instrumental role.

Another thing to mention is steering being at a bit odd location. Available adjustment range did not help. Felt it was an ergonomic error or something. Way too near and a bit high. Non availability of ABS+airbags on trim just above base version was final rejection point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
ABS is offered on the Dynamic variant, but only for the 1.3 MJD and not the 1.2 FIRE. I've heard that the 1.2 petrol on the Punto is well tuned and surprisingly drivable despite the fewer horses (68PS) powering a heavy car. Sadly, Fiat offer neither airbags nor ABS with this engine. The 1.4 petrol Emotion gets them, but it's priced high as it is not eligible for the lower tax slab.

I guess the plan to get a tuning box for your Grand i10 diesel has been put on hold then, eh?
1.4 would be too expensive and the 1.2 was unfortunately not available. I think 1.2 would have been ideal for test drive as the NA engine would not have excessive lag of 1.3 diesel. But it wasn't available.

Yes, the tuning box is now on hold! My grand i10's engine seems to have opened up a bit after 3000 kms. Will observe for a couple of thousand kms. before making my next move. By that time the car will complete 1 year ( i.e. in Feb 2015 the car will complete 1 year ). I have to admit that Fiat did a very commendable job in achieving excellent NVH in Punto Evo.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th November 2014 at 11:24.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:06   #407
Senior - BHPian

Unlike i10 grand diesel 3 pot engine, which has detuned engine but power delivery without lag. The mjd is a conventional (by current standards) 4 cyl engine and there is significant turbolag below 2000 rpm.

If you are used to petrol car driving and not keep above sensitivity in mind then your experience will suffer.
Old 30th November 2014, 13:21   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Unlike i10 grand diesel 3 pot engine, which has detuned engine but power delivery without lag. The mjd is a conventional (by current standards) 4 cyl engine and there is significant turbolag below 2000 rpm.

If you are used to petrol car driving and not keep above sensitivity in mind then your experience will suffer.
Exactly but the Hyundai 3 cylinder is a dud in upper mid and top end. It is only good for the city.
Old 17th December 2014, 12:53   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Congrats guys ! Please start an ownership review once your cars arrive. No Evo owner reviews yet on the forum. There was one that went live briefly, but was moved back to the assembly line for want of more detail. What colours have you'll chosen ? The Golden Bronze anyone ?
I started that thread, but was moved back as it was not comprehensive. The thread has gone live now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-affair.html
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:22   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I get 11 - 12 in the city and 14.5 - 15 on the highways for the GP. My highway mileage would increase if I drop speeds to the 90 - 100kmph range for sure.
I don't think dropping the speed will increase fuel efficiency unless you know which RPM band you need to be in at the speed you want to be in along with which gear

My GP 1.4 EPK gives me anything between 16-17KMPL whenever I visit my hometown. I have noticed that any speed between 100-120KMPH in 5th gear with RPM needle at 2500 gives best fuel efficiency, at least with my car with 3 adults on board and luggage for 8-10 days!!

You may have to keep looking at the Instant Consumption on the MID while you experiment with Speed, Gear & RPM to get maximum fuel efficiency at each speed.

This is what I was expecting from Fiat as Punto Evo. Yeah its slightly modified Punto Evo Esseesse which I had in my mind for quiet sometime now
Note : Original pic is from netcarshow.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-fiatpunto.jpg  

Last edited by HammerHead : 4th January 2015 at 14:24.
Old 25th March 2015, 22:22   #411
BHPian

Is this true? A red Punto costs 5000/- less than the other colours?
I was told so when I visited Sky Moto for a test drive. The logic was that red is a non-metallic colour and so costs less. But when I mentioned this later at Pandit Auto, they brushed it off. Can someone shed some light/flashlight or floodlight on it
Old 25th March 2015, 23:11   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I was told so when I visited Sky Moto for a test drive. The logic was that red is a non-metallic colour and so costs less. But when I mentioned this later at Pandit Auto, they brushed it off. Can someone shed some light/flashlight or floodlight on it
Yes it is true. Its also mentioned on Fiat's Website too.
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-capture.jpg
Source: http://www.fiat-india.com/puntoevo/#exterior

Colour History of Puntos In India:
When Grande Punto first came to India in 2009, There were 8 colours.
  1. Bossa Nova White
  2. Exotica Red
  3. Hip Hop Black
  4. Medium Grey
  5. Minimal Grey
  6. Electric Blue
  7. Tuscan Wine
  8. Fox Trot Azure
Back then, the colours were categorized as Popular and Premium shades; with Premium shades (the last three) costing 5000 more than the Popular shades.

Electric Blue was discontinued in 2010 and in 2012, Oceanic Blue replaced that.
From 2012 onwards, all colours except Bossa Nova White and Exotica red were considered premium colours and costed 5k more than the rest.

By 2013, Fox Trot Azure was discontinued and Bossa Nova White was replaced by Pearl White and that was also added into the list of Premium Shades.
That left Only Exotica red in the Popular colours list and costing 5k less than the others.

In 2014, When Punto Evo came in, Medium Grey was replaced by Magnesio Grey and Oceanic Blue made way for the Glitterati Gold.
IIRC, from here onwards, colours were categorized as Metallic and Non-Metallic and only Excotica Red being a Non-Metallic shade costs 5k less that the rest.

Hope this amount of Floodlight is enough

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 25th March 2015 at 23:18.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 23:15   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Yes!
I bought a red punto last November and I paid around 5000/- less compared to the other colours.
This is true not just for fiat but for most of the other brands as well where red and white are mostly classified as non-metallic colours and are priced slightly lesser.

This is probably because non-metallic paints cost lesser compared to the metallic ones.
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:13   #414
BHPian

Hi All,

Initially though I did the TD of Punto Evo's elder sister Linea, my heart kinda kept saying the new Punto Evo pleaseeeeee. So here I am! booked the Punto Evo 90hp Sports White, end of March 2015 and eagerly waiting for its home coming. I was told by the dealer in Chennai that they don't have ready stock and have placed order on my booking and should arrive in 2 weeks. It has been more than 2 weeks and the dealer finally confirmed that the vehicle is in transit and will provide the VIN number soon. Just wondering if it really takes this long.

Looking forward to share my experience!
Old 6th May 2015, 02:35   #415
Senior - BHPian

Need some answers from those who have driven both 75 and 90 hp punto evo.
I've driven 75 hp in city. I found it satisfactory. How good or bad is 90 hp compared to other.
I didn't get the chance to test the performance on highway. How much difference in performance should I expect between the two.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:05   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Need some answers from those who have driven both 75 and 90 hp punto evo.
I've driven 75 hp in city. I found it satisfactory. How good or bad is 90 hp compared to other.
I own a 75 HP and have driven my friend's 90hp quite extensively.
The 75 feels peppy in the city, the low-end seems better than the 90hp. But the difference is very minute.
I would say, its just a matter of getting used to.

Quote:
I didn't get the chance to test the performance on highway. How much difference in performance should I expect between the two.
Its here that the 90hp shines. The 75hp will run out of steam around 3-3.5k rpm mark; but the 90hp will keep going. It is a much, much better car on the highways, what with the boost that just seems to keep coming!
Again, the 75hp is quite capable of taking you where ever you want to go, and in good speeds too, but just for the little wider smile, if you can afford a 90hp, just go for it. Its worth the extra bit.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 10:23   #417
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
I was told by the dealer in Chennai that they don't have ready stock and have placed order on my booking and should arrive in 2 weeks.
Really surprising since I have seen exactly two Evos on the road in Chennai to date (and I am reasonably observant about cars). It's certainly not flying off the shelves like the new i20. What do the dealers have in stock, then? Are they getting rid of unsold old-Punto stocks still? I see lots of very new-looking old Puntos, with recent registration plates.
Old 6th May 2015, 13:19   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I own a 75 HP and have driven my friend's 90hp quite extensively.
The 75 feels peppy in the city, the low-end seems better than the 90hp. But the difference is very minute.
I would say, its just a matter of getting used to.
Its here that the 90hp shines. The 75hp will run out of steam around 3-3.5k rpm mark; but the 90hp will keep going. It is a much, much better car on the highways, what with the boost that just seems to keep coming!
Again, the 75hp is quite capable of taking you where ever you want to go, and in good speeds too, but just for the little wider smile, if you can afford a 90hp, just go for it. Its worth the extra bit.
Thank you for the prompt reply. 15 extra hp for just about 45k looks like a no brainer. The black interiors are a boon to maintain. But the wheels on 75 hp are just so attractive, and the one on 90 are equally bland. Also 16 inchers should have harsher ride. I wish the 90 hp came with those alloys.
Old 6th May 2015, 13:47   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt reply. 15 extra hp for just about 45k looks like a no brainer. The black interiors are a boon to maintain. But the wheels on 75 hp are just so attractive, and the one on 90 are equally bland. Also 16 inchers should have harsher ride. I wish the 90 hp came with those alloys.
Check if you can exchange those with the one on Avventura . BTW the Evo 90hp comes with a different ECU map (Part number is also different than the old 90hp), I hope they have minimized the initial turbo lag in lower rpms to some extent in Evo 90.

I have remapped my 75bhp Punto (Non Evo) and the map which I use for highways is so awesome that the speed from 90-140 builds up so quickly. I am in no way promoting speeding but just to give you an idea what a 75 with remap can do .
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 16:35   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Really surprising since I have seen exactly two Evos on the road in Chennai to date (and I am reasonably observant about cars). It's certainly not flying off the shelves like the new i20. What do the dealers have in stock, then? Are they getting rid of unsold old-Punto stocks still? I see lots of very new-looking old Puntos, with recent registration plates.
The Wait is Finally Over! The car came in over the weekend, promptly finished up the paper work did the PDI on Monday and everything looked fine with 6kms on the ODO. The VIN no finished with CHZ (March 2015 mfd). Got my special number from the RTO today and the D-DAY is tomorrow ! YEY!
Rover2000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks