Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 09:53   #331
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Quite frankly blacksport you have almost contradicted yourself here.

For example if you consider your Ecosport, you probably had not utilized or realized the fun of redlining until you actually did it. Now that you know how that feels, you probably are doing it more often that you usually would. This has not by any means added extra BHP to your Ecosport, it has just enhanced the 'Zing' of your drive.

The issue with Punto/Evo is that engine is free revving, but it needs some considerable tarmac for it start giving out that Zing. Agreed many/most of the drivers will never explore all of the cars potential, but in today's world its a cut throat competition.
Not only is a buyer spoilt by the number of choices, even the manufacturers are exploiting the slightest loop-hole or opportunity to promote their product.
Between EVO & Swift, the latter has won half of the battle by just being Maruti. But you tell me, how many buyers will want to/be allowed to experience the true potential of an EVO on a showroom TD to be convinced enough to pick this over Swift ?

P.S - Though I own the GT, Punto is still my favourite Hatch back in India. I wish we had something like Maruti Punto GT TDI !!!
I do not really see how I have contradicted myself, but then, I am often bad at comprehension.

I used to redline often in my Civic, but since it had a larger engine, the occurrences were few and too far in between. Civic had a much more free revving engine. Both my cars are AT, but then, in a manual things should be much more easier. You can always keep your car at a higher RPM. Then the only place where you would feel some lack of power is when you are starting off in the first gear. In every other gear, just postpone your gear change for another 1000rpm. It is a mental block that you would need to overcome.

But then I do agree that the Punto should have been given a better engine. I had mentioned this earlier (see below) and received some flak. Bigger engines might not be able to attract potential Swift customers, but some GT customers at least. Swift customers are not going to abandon their trusted brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
This ain't taking off this time around either. It has nothing to enthuse the enthusiasts, nor does it have anything to enthuse the masses.

Enthusiasts would have loved to see some better engines. At least the 1.4 Tjet, which they already have in their parts bin. But then, yes apart from a handful enthusiasts, none else are going to buy it. But hey, even with these sad engines, the masses are still not going to touch it. For the masses, what does the Punto offer that is better than the tried and tested Swift/i20/Polo/Figo?
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:09   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I have mentioned this in another thread, that though Punto may not look that great in city (and on paper), but the car has to be driven on highways to see its capability. Having said that, I felt Punto made more sense than my T-Jet.
Agree with you on the fact that at speed, the Punto is hands down the best little hatch and its going to take something to dethrone it. Highway manners are the best.

I've driven a 1.2l Active quite a bit. Even with cycle tires all round, the way this car feels on the open road, above the ton, it is amazing.

I want to drive the Evo with the sixteen wheel. Ride will be harsh for sure. I don't understand why Fiat had to raise the ride height though.

Mayte, there is no way you can compare a T Jet to a Punto90 when it comes to power delivery. You need to drive both cars back to back to know what I mean.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th August 2014 at 10:17.
Old 14th August 2014, 11:17   #333
Senior - BHPian

So FIAT INDIA is trying to do something on Ads front.

But still no TV commercial yet

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 13:45   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
So FIAT INDIA is trying to do something on Ads front.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2xtnct7CJ5o

But still no TV commercial yet

Cheers!

Vinu
I think you are mistaken. The TV commercial was the very first thing they released followed by the 3D demonstration of the new design and now the explanation of the new interiors. The TV spots have already started to feature on TV.

This is the commercial if you are looking for it

Last edited by Stratos : 14th August 2014 at 14:16.
karzzexped is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:18   #335
Senior - BHPian

Last evening while riding my scooter back from work, I saw a camouflaged car which had an Ecosport type wheel behind and was similar to Punto in dimensions.

Could not take any photographs. Even the wheel caps were covered with some tape so I was not able to figure out the manufacturer.

The lights inside the tail lamps glowed in 'C' shaped like "[" and "]" when the brakes were applied.

Which car is this?

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th August 2014 at 15:19.
Old 14th August 2014, 15:22   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Which car is this?
The upcoming Avventura perhaps.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:44   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The upcoming Avventura perhaps.
Yes. This was the car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3502987
Old 14th August 2014, 16:24   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzzexped View Post

This is the commercial if you are looking for it
I had already seen those in TeamFiat forum and Facebook. But yet to spot one in TV.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 14th August 2014, 22:10   #339
Senior - BHPian

More than all this love it or hate it comments, I am actually interested in knowing in how much quality have they actually improved (problems per car) rather than problems per 100 cars.
My Punto's warranty claim count now stands at 22. Imagine if I had a committed girlfriend, she would have literally divorced me even before I proposed her.
sidindica is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 07:11   #340
Senior - BHPian

To all those looking to retrofit the Evo tail lamps onto the Grande,

a) the price, per piece, is Rs.2990/-
b) the tail lamp is 'made in India'.
c) the connectors are different (5 pin as opposed to the old 4 pin). It is not a direct fit; a bit of jugaad is required.
d) the lastly the MID does throw up an error! :(
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 09:04   #341
BHPian

Can we expect the 1.4 tjet on the evo anytime soon? I'll be in the market for a powerful hatch by the year's end.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:59   #342
Senior - BHPian

My friend who visited the Fiat dealership at Mysore, was informed that the new Punto Evo comes with a 3 year AMC. There won't be any maintenance costs incurred by the owner during this period. Everything, including the engine oil, brake pads, clutch replacement costs etc., are borne by the company. If this news is indeed true, I'm more shocked than surprised that Fiat hasn't publicised this major selling point!

Last edited by schakravarthy : 15th August 2014 at 10:17.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 15:04   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
My friend who visited the Fiat dealership at Mysore, was informed that the new Punto Evo comes with a 3 year AMC. There won't be any maintenance costs incurred by the owner during this period. Everything, including the engine oil, brake pads, clutch replacement costs etc., are borne by the company. If this news is indeed true, I'm more shocked than surprised that Fiat hasn't publicised this major selling point!
And that has been their own nemesis. Although seeing innovative ads feature on their websites, I expected Fiat to learn from their previous experiences, which in my opinion they haven't. While even painting the C-Pillars in black color are claimed as first in segment ( no offence ) this comes as a disappointment.
karzzexped is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 18:15   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Can we expect the 1.4 tjet on the evo anytime soon? I'll be in the market for a powerful hatch by the year's end.
I dont this will come. If at all the T jet may come in Aventurra not in the Punto Evo. They dont have anything else to distinguish the Aventurra (which is basically Evo on stilts) from the Evo. Which is sad if you ask me.
Old 27th September 2014, 17:58   #345
BHPian

Had a Test drive in the Punto Evo 1.4 Petrol today and the experience was positive, Clutch though having the typical long play being brand new felt easy on feet, the gear shift seemed definite and not vague at all.

16 inch alloys did make the difference in the drive and handling. Overall it s a radical departure from it's out going model. Stereo and Aircon illumination looked upmarket.

One downside was the older gen motor, which was quite audible upon revving. The mileage from the age old mill will also be a cause of concern for some in this segment, owing to it's weight and tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I dont this will come. If at all the T jet may come in Aventurra not in the Punto Evo. They dont have anything else to distinguish the Aventurra (which is basically Evo on stilts) from the Evo. Which is sad if you ask me.
Yes, It is Evo on stilts, but it has been claimed as a properly built CUV and has increased Kerb Weight compared to regular Evo, not sure what causes that additional weight. Was told even the Avventura will sport only the 89HP 1.4L FIRE Petrol motor, we need to wait and watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks