Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 15:15   #481
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Well, I got mine (1.4 fire) last week as well and I've just crossed 500 km on it.
Congrats bro! We're brothers in two forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I never could figure out why people are not buying the Punto Evo. For me , it was love at first sight. I actually went to buy an Ertiga ZXi ( other options were ciaz, scorpio, amaze etc ) but the punto just clicked in the heart ! I wanted a big MPV and landed with a hatch . I guess thats what Fiats do to you .
Something that I too can't comprehend. Even on a cost-to-cost comparison it's the best hatch. I did not see any other hatch that offers such premium interiors. Lack of advertisement is the primary.

On another note with no offense to anyone : A friend came over yesterday in his Swift Vxi. He initially liked the Punto, but didn't want a diesel. I took it out for a spin which made me realize how life-less the steering is!
Is it just because it's an EPS? It's like I rotate the steering wheel but can't really feel in my hands which way it's turning. After getting used to the long clutch travel of the Punto, I found the short travel of the Swift to be irksome.
rav11stars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 15:20   #482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I took it out for a spin which made me realize how life-less the steering is!
Is it just because it's an EPS? It's like I rotate the steering wheel but can't really feel in my hands which way it's turning. After getting used to the long clutch travel of the Punto, I found the short travel of the Swift to be irksome.
Thats just a matter of getting used to the lightness. Swift has a pretty good EPS, though not in the league of the Punto. Its light, but is direct enough.

If you want to see what life-less steering really is - try the Hyundai motor driven power steering. Its almost like a video game console.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 18:20   #483
Senior - BHPian

The FIAT India website is now updated with a new offer called Peace of Mind and the highlight of the offer is 3 years or 45,000 km free maintenance and repair program. But I could not find much details about this in FIAT website or in any other sites.

So, I am not sure if this is a limited period offer or a permanent offer, but this sure is a good deal.

theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 00:34   #484

I took Divya Sharan's Punto for a small spin and as a first impression I felt that the steering was incredibly heavy at slow speeds, its the heaviest I felt in any modern car (of the few I have driven). May be Punto's hydraulic unit is inherently like this or may be its because the car wears wide tyres and is heavy. I also felt that the diameter of the steering wheel was a tad small, which will again add to the sense of heaviness because more effort is required to turn the steering wheel. May be the heaviness is an aggregate effect of all the different factors above. What is for sure is that this car will be rock solid at high speeds.

IMHO Figo's hydraulic unit is polar opposite of Punto's. First of all it's amazingly light in city and weighs up ok on the highway. But it is extremely responsive off center! So even if you move the wheel a little bit either side of "12" the car responds more than your input. Because of this when I first drove the Figo I felt "what a fidgety car!". It's only when I got used to it that I started loving Figo's steering! However this is completely different from Punto, where off-center steering is perfectly in-sync with where the front wheels are pointing.

SX4's EPS unit on the other hand is basically dead off-center, absolutely nothing happens between "10 & 2", you can keep rocking the steering either side of 12 (like in old movies) and the car will basically track straight. However once you turn in the steering wheel enough and load it then you get a pretty good feedback about what the front wheels are doing. This is simply how the EPS is calibrated and I don't feel SX4 is a bad handler because once you know how the system works there is good feedback from front tyres. However I have found that nobody really shares this particular opinion of mine and most pretty much feel SX4 sucks but i beg to differ (). Yes because of the dead off center steering SX4 is a lazy lane changer (whereas Figo is quick as lightning), however its a matter of getting used to.

Coming to the present discussion Swift's EPS unit will feel amazingly alive to SX4 drivers but it will feel meh to Figo drivers and positively lifeless to Punto drivers.

My point being that many times its a matter of getting used to and I do not believe that when it comes to "steering feel" there is any real absolute. Unfortunately EPS gets a bad rap in tbhp, however even between Punto and Figo, for in-city driving Figo will be the clear winner and for on highway driving it will boil down to pure driver preference.

p.s. - Divya bhai - sorry I am taking the liberty to comment here man, I hope you don't mind! Also thanks for the short spin
drivebyfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 08:13   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
The FIAT India website is now updated with a new offer called Peace of Mind and the highlight of the offer is 3 years or 45,000 km free maintenance and repair program. But I could not find much details about this in FIAT website or in any other sites.

So, I am not sure if this is a limited period offer or a permanent offer, but this sure is a good deal.

Oh, well, I asked this whether I could avail this offer and he goes, "Saar, this offer is only valid if you don't opt for the discount". He said I'll only be getting "normal" 3 free services.
Ryuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:19   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Oh, well, I asked this whether I could avail this offer and he goes, "Saar, this offer is only valid if you don't opt for the discount". He said I'll only be getting "normal" 3 free services.
Push till they agree
On the other hand, how much are you getting as discount?
For three years, I think the service cost, including consumables, will not exceed 30K, so choose one which gives you more benefit.

But before you sign the cheque, do put more pressure to get this offer also.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:44   #487
Senior - BHPian

>> or may be its because the car wears wide tyres and is heavy.

It's because of wide tyres. The stock wheels in active and dynamic varients is 14/165/80 and steering is very light with these.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:43   #488
BHPian

drivebyfire,

You might want to put in your observations in this thread - Steering Feel & Feedback - Your Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivebyfire View Post
I took Divya Sharan's Punto for a small spin
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 19:13   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Push till they agree
On the other hand, how much are you getting as discount?
For three years, I think the service cost, including consumables, will not exceed 30K, so choose one which gives you more benefit.

But before you sign the cheque, do put more pressure to get this offer also.

--Anoop
I'm getting an overall discount of 73k. Yes, I'll be pushing for that one as well.

BTW, how many free services does a Punto get and at what interval?
Old 18th July 2015, 21:59   #490
BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting an overall discount of 73k. Yes, I'll be pushing for that one as well.

BTW, how many free services does a Punto get and at what interval?
In general all FIAT's get a 2 years - 30,000 km free service schedule from the manufacture. Only the labour charges are waived off and consumables are chargeable as we all already know.

The service interval schedule is 1st @ 5k or 6 months, 2nd @ 15k or 1 year and 3rd at 30k or 2 years respectively.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 00:47   #491
BHPian

The Punto Evo is an awesome vehicle especially the emotion variant. The road manners are impeccable because of the vault like build quality and the weight. The seats are more comfortable than my Polo at least that's what the ladies in my home are telling. I would have definitely booked it had my city got a competent Fiat ASS but unfortunately due to Fiat's ever confusing somersaults in appointing and removing dealerships in my city I had to drop the idea of owning a Fiat.
pranjal1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 12:25   #492
BHPian

Guys, I'm unable to pair the speakers to Google Maps. I can make calls via BT through Blue and Me, but GPS directions don't come through car speakers.

Yet to try with the AUX cable, but kindly let me know if anyone has tried the same.
Car - Punto Evo 1.4
Mobile - Asus Zenfone 5 (Android lollipop)
Old 13th August 2015, 15:47   #493
BHPian

Hello All,

Last night when I took my Punto EVO 90hp for a ride I noticed that the ODO was blinking when I started the car. The ODO was reading 5500 kms. I drove it for about a km to see if it was blinking even after the meter toggled to 5501 and it was blinking still. I then stopped and restarted the car and the ODO was back to normal.

Has anyone experienced such a thing? Any advice? I will be taking it to the service center again to get it clarified. In fact I just got it back from the first service.
Old 13th August 2015, 16:04   #494
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Guys, I'm unable to pair the speakers to Google Maps. I can make calls via BT through Blue and Me, but GPS directions don't come through car speakers.
In your phone settings, under "bluetooth" click on the configuration item for your car device, and make sure "media audio" is checked. Then GPS directions, as well as music etc, should come through the car audio.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:26   #495
BHPian

Ryuu,

Congratulations on the subsequent purchase! Please post some pics

Quote:
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks