Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 19:05   #46
BANNED

Re: Shocked! Another car with my number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
However, that said, I will have to take all steps for my own protection - which I will.
Kamikaze, to put the other owner's offense on record, the PRO interaction and BTP facebook posts might not be enough.

You could log on to the Public Eye website run by the Bangalore Traffic Police, and report this offence under the 'defective number plate' category. Make sure you upload the picture as well. That will ensure a formal violation is raised and sent to the other owner. The record will then remain in the official files of the traffic police as well. Here's the link: http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...icEyePost.aspx

By the way, I too have a three digit registration number on my Innova, and have only three digits printed on both the front and rear number plates. There is no leading zero. Also, I know that there were a few Innovas that went for registration to the same RTO, on the same day. I have so far spotted two other Innovas - same variant and color - with only the last digit different from mine!

Last edited by sdmn : 4th September 2014 at 19:09.
sdmn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 21:23   #47
BHPian

I had a long look at a zoomed image of the Fiesta. There is space for a '3' to be added and if the digit was missing on both plates it is to me, 100% a case of illegal tampering.

As others have done I strongly suggest you inform the relevant RTO (KA-02) and both the traffic police as well as your P.S. in each case with an acknowledged letter together with photographs, with a disclaimer that you will not be held liable on account of offenses committed by / through the Fiesta. If you have the inclination you could publish a small ad in a newspaper as well to warn the public (as is done to warn against spurious trademarks).

Reading your narrative I find your self-restraint very admirable -- it is akin to collaring a thief red-handed and letting him go with a promise that he will return the stolen goods later.

I am confused about one thing though - how come you have the HSRP and the Fiesta does not? Unless you proactively switched over to HSRP.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:01   #48
BHPian

Give a written complaint to the RTO and send a copy to DC/Traffic Department of Bangalore Police.
In Kolkata, a number plate, may or may not be HSRP, is always four digit. You cannot omit a 0 (zero) from the left. I have never seen a three digit number plate in Kolkata, which is very common in Bangalore.
Old 5th September 2014, 00:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
^^ guys, for every offence recorded (eg. speeding, red light jumping) you get a pic of the car performing the violation; I have a friend in the Motor Vehicle Department who is a MVI here in Trivandrum and he told me that before the challan is sent to the customer a lot of verification happens.

Take it as a good joke and laugh it out
!

There are plenty of cameras by the highways in Kerala and some challans have not-much-recognizable photographs, including those captured at night. My neighbor received one. What if the color and the car matches with the numbers too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
In Kerala also, we have the "4 digit" rule where one need to have 4 digits in the number plate at any cost. If the registration numbers are less than 4 digits, then the additional numbers should be filled by zeros in the front.
Could you please share a link if at all regarding this? I never knew of this. One of our cars were 688 and my neighbors current car is 833. Meantime, I'll check if all the 4 digits are written in his RC document too (I guess it is not).
Old 5th September 2014, 01:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Could you please share a link if at all regarding this? I never knew of this. One of our cars were 688 and my neighbors current car is 833. Meantime, I'll check if all the 4 digits are written in his RC document too (I guess it is not).
Maybe recent, but not earlier. My 2009 bike's registration is '55'. I have it on the plate and its the same in RC also. Had got into trouble with the same in delhi and bangalore before, but after showing the RC which was also just two digits, they let me off.

Regards
Avinash

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th September 2014 at 07:56. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 5th September 2014, 07:16   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Precisely the reason why many states in North India issue numbers as '0681' and not just '681'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have another query. Do RTOs issue 3 digit numbers like 681? I have a feeling it is always either 0681 or 6810
From these posts, it is clear that RTO's at some places, do issue registration number in 1/2/3 digit format. At my place for eg, it is always 0001 and not 1. You have to specifically write all 4 digits.

Surprised, considering that most should be having one book of guidelines to refer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I think they do, My brothers old HH CBZ bike had the number 876 and this is how even the RC book had it.

Edit - This is again in Bangalore. So, the RTO here may be different from other places. Heck, we even have the 30 day rule for the outstation vehicles.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th September 2014 at 07:18.
Old 5th September 2014, 08:07   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Now, although the situation turned out to be better than my wild imagination, it is still a cause of concern for me that there is a car running around on the road my number on it - atleast till the owner decides to get the number plate corrected.
First of all check your car's RC book for the number.

Is it KA 02 MF 681 or KA 02 MF 0681?

If the RC book has the '0' in place then you will be at fault for not getting the number plate made correctly. Do check and change it. Do not delay.

We in India for the matter of looks omit the '0' that has a lot of importance, like the situation you just faced. There is a reason why 4 digits are issued rather than 3 or 2 or even 1.

By the rules of the RTO,

1) If you have a number like 1,

WRONG: KA 02 MF 1
RIGHT: KA 02 MF 0001

2) If you have a number like 10,

WRONG: KA 02 MF 10
RIGHT: KA 02 MF 0010

3) If you have a number like 100,

WRONG: KA 02 MF 100
RIGHT: KA 02 MF 0100

My neighbour paid a fine of 500 bucks for the same case as yours. His RC book contains AP 28 BH 00XX whereas for the sake of style and looks he printed AP 28 BH XX. Caught by the cops, paid the fine and got the number plate corrected.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 08:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aasim Shehzad View Post
Hi,

Send an email/letter by registered post to the Commissioner of Police and RTO about the incident. Mention in your letter that you are writing in abundant caution as you are unsure if the person would fix the correct number plate and would require them to investigate if he has done it. This will absolve you of any liability under law.

BR

Aasim

I suggest if it's not too painful,drive down to the Rto and have a copy of the letter endorsed and acknowledged and keep the copy with you for future reference. The good thing is that you have spotted it. Not sure of how many fakes of our car numbers are running around. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 08:22   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From these posts, it is clear that RTO's at some places, do issue registration number in 1/2/3 digit format. At my place for eg, it is always 0001 and not 1. You have to specifically write all 4 digits.

Surprised, considering that most should be having one book of guidelines to refer to.
Don't be surprised. RTOs across the country follow there own set of rules for reasons best known to them. For instance there is so much difference in the pocess of registration of a new car. In many RTO's they charge tax on the discounted car whereas in Delhi AFAIK they charge it on the ex-showroom price without the discount.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
!

There are plenty of cameras by the highways in Kerala and some challans have not-much-recognizable photographs, including those captured at night. My neighbor received one. What if the color and the car matches with the numbers too?.
Possibilities are endless, if the other car in question is an exact replica of your car then there is a judiciary process to challenge the claim by the MVD.
Initially when automated challan system came into force there were a lot of confusions, but tell me how many of your neighbours got these kinds of challans in the recent future? They simply ignore it these days if there is a doubtful scenario. Remember it’s a hassle for the MVD as well to go to court if there is a dispute.
The OP’s issue is different here; he is just worried if a crime is committed by someone else will he get in trouble for having the same reg number?

Pramod
Old 5th September 2014, 11:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
but tell me how many of your neighbours got these kinds of challans in the recent future?
My immediate neighbor twice recently with night shots of a black car; the number plate zoomed with good amount of blur! And a handful of other people I know received challans.

Quote:
The OP’s issue is different here; he is just worried if a crime is committed by someone else will he get in trouble for having the same reg number?
And in the process, he being summoned to court/station to prove innocence is no joke.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Precisely the reason why many states in North India issue numbers as '0681' and not just '681'.
There are guys who depict 007 on their number plates...could they be interpreted as 0070?
Old 5th September 2014, 11:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My immediate neighbor twice recently with night shots of a black car; the number plate zoomed with good amount of blur! And a handful of other people I know received challans.
Is the number readable?

Quote:
And in the process, he being summoned to court/station to prove innocence is no joke.
I get your point, but can anybody help in such a case? This happens when there is a crime, mostly the vehicles used have stolen plates,even if the cops know this the owner is still called for questioning. The authorities look for specific behaviours and if all is normal then the owner is let go immediately, this happens everywhere in the world. Nothing specific about India.

In this specific case he saw a car with his same number and different make/Model/Color. is it impossible to believe that the MVD does a bit of due diligence these days before convicting anyone?

Pramod
Old 5th September 2014, 11:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
There are guys who depict 007 on their number plates...could they be interpreted as 0070?

No! It's mathematics. 007 = 0007 = 00000000007. 007 <>0070! You can drop zeros at left, not at right (unless the number plate is in Urdu )
Old 5th September 2014, 12:20   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

We had as similar example.

During one of our 2 wheeler purchase after registration dealer sent the reg number through SMS (TN xx AL xx94) We got the reg plate printed. After a couple of weeks we were shocked seeing the RC copy, the number is TN xx AL xx49). More than 15 days we were running with a wrong number (fortunately no one caught us) Upon investigation dealer accepted his mistake while sending SMS (simple excuse)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks