Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 14:30   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shocked! Another car with my number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
On being further questioned they revealed that a vento bearing exact same registration no. was used b/w 3:00 am to 8:00 am for criminal activity.
A tracker should be helpful in such cases. You can share the location dump to clarify it wasn't your car.

Any CCTV cameras around where you park? Showing the car entering at night and leaving the next day can help your case. Also how did they come to know it was your car? Was there any footage or eyewitness account, any FIR filed yet? You can speak to a lawyer and see what options you have to prove your innocence.
Old 13th September 2014, 15:45   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A tracker should be helpful in such cases. You can share the location dump to clarify it wasn't your car.

Any CCTV cameras around where you park? Showing the car entering at night and leaving the next day can help your case. Also how did they come to know it was your car? Was there any footage or eyewitness account, any FIR filed yet? You can speak to a lawyer and see what options you have to prove your innocence.
UPDATE: According to cops the registration no. was noted down by eye witnesses. They say shots were fired by a guy travelling in a vento with registration no having last four digits same as mine. So basically they are verifying all the ventos in the city with matching no.

Consulted our lawyer. Entry and exit times are recorded by cctv cameras. Have obtained recording of the entire week to support my case. I don't think i have anything to worry about.
ramneek009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 17:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
I do not know about Bangalore but in Tamil Nadu I know for a fact that you do not have single digit registrations. If you check the RC it will clearly say for ex: TN07 MK 0006, where the '0' has to be added when writing a number plate.

I had confirmed this with a friend who works in the RTO and he said yes the system does not accept just a single digit. Its called a fancy no but still you have to add the zeros.

If you see the new security number plates you do not get them without the zeros. The reason being that it is the way the RTO accepts it.
The system is same in AP & Telangana. All the registration numbers are four digit numbers. Fancy or not, all the vehicles are legally bound to use four digit numbers including the leading zeros on the license plates.
umvarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 20:04   #79
BHPian

Some examples of both old and new number plates for registration marks with last four digits starting with 0 or 00. These are all from Kolkata.

Old (non-HSRP) plate

Shocked! Another car with my number!-img_3552.jpg

New (HSRP) plate for number 0xxx

Shocked! Another car with my number!-img_3549.jpg

New (HSRP) plate for number 00xx

Shocked! Another car with my number!-img_3563.jpg

I even saw a government vehicle with '000x' but there were some unsmiling security people in a convoy car to my right and I did not want to give them an excuse to do some dadagiri by taking a picture.

So at least for the HSRP plates it can be concluded that WB is insisting on display of the pre-nominal zeroes - as it should be.

Last edited by Kumar R : 25th September 2014 at 20:10.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 20:55   #80
BHPian

My vehicle registration reads 553. After going through this thread I feel I too should get a '0' prefixed to the number just in case.

I too had had been in a smaller but similar issue. I was walking down to my building and saw a Wagon-R with the number 553. The remaining number plate was hidden by a pillar in the parking lot. Increased the pace of my next 2-3 steps to read the complete number plate and noticed that apart from the number and the RTO State, everything else was different. Heaved a sigh of relief and walked back home.

While in a general scenario this thought of a duplicate number plate would not have even crossed my mind but thanks to the RTO, I will surely give it a second look if I find something like this and its because I had purchased a used bike and the year of manufacturing on the original RC was 2009. However when I got the bike transferred on my name the year of manufacturing was printed as 2000, when the bike was not even in the market or probably even conceptualized by the manufacturer.

It might be a small mistake but getting it corrected costed me for no fault of mine. So wouldnt be surprised if they had the same registration for 2 vehicles. I know its computerised and stuff but you really cant beat what the people using the computers in RTO offices are capable of. No offence to anyone though
Old 1st October 2014, 21:08   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
My vehicle registration reads 553. After going through this thread I feel I too should get a '0' prefixed to the number just in case.
How does the RC book read the number?

Is it:

Type 1: XX 00 YY 553 or

Type 2: XX 00 YY 0553.

Which of the above?

Anurag.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:18   #82
BHPian

He must be part of the Bangalore IT bus system. Have you guys observed their helpline numbers?

"Rash driving? Call 988#5 6655# immediately". (they scratch out a few numbers where I've put in the #) Yep, like we can figure out what those # numbers are instantly.

OT - when I was working with an IT major, I was staying in BTM layout. The buses which come to drop off the workers would drive very rashly. Once, a bus cut right in front of me and almost side-swiped me. I overtook it, and since BTM traffic is very slow, I encountered the bus driver and the "cleaner". They got very abusive and even threatened me that I would be run over. I tried calling the number on the back but it was not a correct number (first encounter of the above scenario) I heard them stating each other's name as well. Little did they know that I was working in the same company. Next day, I walked over to the transportation department and filed a complaint with the full details. They were sacked in a few days (from what I hear).
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 19:10   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How does the RC book read the number?

Is it:

Type 1: XX 00 YY 553 or

Type 2: XX 00 YY 0553.

Which of the above?

Anurag.
It reads 0553 but the dealer had only 553 on the board. Realized the importance of having all 4 digits only after seeing this thread
Old 5th October 2014, 19:51   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
It reads 0553 but the dealer had only 553 on the board. Realized the importance of having all 4 digits only after seeing this thread
That's totally foolish on the part of the dealer to make the plate in that fashion.

IMO, get it changed to the correct format ASAP.

Anurag.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Should the Registration No. be 4 digits only?

Can anyone please give the link where it is mentioned that the Registration Number should be 4 digits only?

The following picture of VIP Nos. is taken from Maharashtra RTO website.
If the VIP Nos. having less than 4 digits are mentioned on the website without any "Initial Zero(es), how can one say that the Nos. should be 4 digits only.
Shocked! Another car with my number!-mahatranscomvipno.list.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2014 at 08:55.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:41   #86
BHPian

I checked the Central MV act and the State(TN in my case) MV rules and could not find an explicit mention of how many digits or letters a registration plate should have. There is explicit mention of font color, font style and font size for each line (in case of 2 lines).

And I can't buy the idea of how a number with prefix 0s can be easier to read than a number without prefix 0s.

0080 or 80

If you were to see above numbers on a moving vehicle, chances are you will be able to note the number faster with 2-digit number.

Now regarding phony registration plates - that is a totally different issue and is a crime. If someone really wanted to use your number plate for an illegal crime, they are going to take pains to make an exact replica of your plate with prefix 0s to boot. Case in point is if Kamikaze had 0681, chances are the other car would have also had 0681.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 5th October 2014 at 20:42.
Old 6th October 2014, 17:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should the Registration No. be 4 digits only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Can anyone please give the link where it is mentioned that the Registration Number should be 4 digits only?
The law states that the number plate should sport the exact number that is written on your RC So if your RC states your car number as DL9CA 0001, that is how you should write it.
Old 6th October 2014, 23:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
I checked the Central MV act and the State(TN in my case) MV rules and could not find an explicit mention of how many digits or letters a registration plate should have.

And I can't buy the idea of how a number with prefix 0s can be easier to read than a number without prefix 0s.

0080 or 80

If you were to see above numbers on a moving vehicle, chances are you will be able to note the number faster with 2-digit number.
Please see the annexure to the Central Government HSRP Order, 2001.

0080 and 80 can make a difference to scope for error. 0080 comprises of four digits and there is less room for doubt.

In the second case (i.e. just '80') the mere possibility that it could be 0080 or 0800 or 8000 (each of which contains '80') is demonstration enough of the likelihood of the relatively higher scope for error in identifying the number.

It seems to me that there would certainly be an element of error in differentiating between two cars having numbers '297' and '2970' at a casual glance unless the former had a zero prefixed. (imagine the 2970 car was parked at an oblique angle behind another car and you missed the last '0' while walking by).

For the purpose of the RC book the difference of the prefix is immaterial since on examination no one can mistake a printed piece of paper / smartcard. But the purpose of number plates is to aid in long distance / split-second identification and in that context the presence / absence of a zero (or zeroes) is very material. Therefore to use a RC book notation as a guide for printing a plate is not a good practice.

Last edited by Kumar R : 6th October 2014 at 23:22.
Old 7th October 2014, 04:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Please see the annexure to the Central Government HSRP Order, 2001.

0080 and 80 can make a difference to scope for error. 0080 comprises of four digits and there is less room for doubt.

In the second case (i.e. just '80') the mere possibility that it could be 0080 or 0800 or 8000 (each of which contains '80') is demonstration enough of the likelihood of the relatively higher scope for error in identifying the number.

It seems to me that there would certainly be an element of error in differentiating between two cars having numbers '297' and '2970' at a casual glance unless the former had a zero prefixed. (imagine the 2970 car was parked at an oblique angle behind another car and you missed the last '0' while walking by).

For the purpose of the RC book the difference of the prefix is immaterial since on examination no one can mistake a printed piece of paper / smartcard. But the purpose of number plates is to aid in long distance / split-second identification and in that context the presence / absence of a zero (or zeroes) is very material. Therefore to use a RC book notation as a guide for printing a plate is not a good practice.
No one should mistake an 80 with an 800 or an 8000. The suffix zeros must be added otherwise it changes the number mathematically.

The contentious point is about needlessly adding prefix zeros. There can be no doubt that it is easier to read two numerals like 80 than a 0080 which can be confused with 0800 / 0008 / 8000 at casual glance especially in the HSRP format.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 7th October 2014 at 04:56.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:07   #90
BHPian

The following is an extract from the Tamil Nadu Government request for bid on HSRP plates available at http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Bid_document.pdf
Quote:
SECTION - V
SPECIFICATION OF THE HIGH SECURITY REGISTRATION PLATES
The Size and Technical Specifications of the High Security Registration Plates shall be as per the G.S.R. No.221 (E) dated 28.03.2001 and SO 814 (E) dated 22.8.2001 and SO 1041 (E) dated 16.10.2001 notified in the Gazette of India (Notifications are attached)

Extract of :
MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS
NOTIFICATION
New Delhi, the 28th March, 2001
G.S.R. 221 (E). – Whereas the draft of certain rules further to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 were published as required by sub-section (1) of section 212 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) with the notification of Government of India in the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. No. G.S.R. 948 (E), dated the 29th December, 2000 in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (i), dated the 29 December, 2000 inviting objections and suggestions from all persons likely to be affected thereby within a period of 30 days from the date on which copies of the Gazette of India in which the said notification was published, were made available to the public;
And, whereas the copies of the said Gazette were made available to the public on 2nd January, 2001;
And, whereas the objections and suggestions received from the public on the said draft rules have been considered by the Central Government;
Now, therefore in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 17, 19, 27, 44, 47, 49, 51, 54, 56, 64, sub-section (14) of section 88 and section 110 of the said Act, the Central Government hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, namely :-
(1) These rules may be called the Central Motor Vehicles (1st Amendment) Rules, 2001.
(2) They shall come into force from the date of their final publication in the Official Gazette except clause (1) of sub-rule (8), sub-rule (17), sub-rule (18) which shall come into force after six months the date of such publication, and sub-rule (22) shall come into force on 1st October, 2002.
In the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.
(8) in rule 50,
(a) for sub-rule(1), the following sub-rule shall be substituted, namely :-
“(1) On or after commencement of this rule, the registration mark referred to in sub-section (6) of section 41 shall be displayed both at the front and at the rear of all motor vehicles clearly and legibly in the form of security license plate of the following specifications, namely :-
(i) the plate shall be a solid unit made of 1.0 mm aluminium conforming to DIN 1745/DIN 1783 or ISO 7591. Border edges and corners of the plate shall be rounded to avoid injuries to the extent of approx. 10mm and the plates must have an embossed border. The plate shall be suitable for hot stamping and reflective sheet has to be guaranteed for imperishable nature for minimum five years. The fast colouring of legend and border to be done by hot stamping.
(ii) The plate should bear the letters “IND” in blue colour on the extreme left center of the plate. The letter should be one fourth of the size of
letters mentioned in rule 51 and should be buried into the foil or applied by hot stamping and should be integral part of the plate;
(iii) each plate shall be protected against counterfeiting by applying, chromium-based hologram, applied by hot stamping. Stickers and
adhesive labels are not permitted. The plate shall bear a permanent consecutive identification number of minimum seven digits, to be laser branded into the reflective sheeting and hot stamping film shall bear a verification inscription;
(iv) apart from the registration marks on the front and rear, the third registration mark in the form of self destructive type, chromium
based hologram sticker shall be affixed on the left-hand top side of the windshield of the vehicle. The registration details such as registration number, registering authority, etc., shall be printed on the sticker. The third registration mark shall be issued by the registering authorities/approved dealers of the license plates manufacturer along with the regular registration marks, and thereafter if such sticker is destroyed it shall be issued by the license plate manufacturer or his dealer;
(v) The plate shall be fastened with non-removable/non-reusable snap lock fitting system on rear of the vehicle at the premises of the registering authority;
The license plates with all the above specifications and the specified registrations for a vehicle shall be issued by the registering authority or approved the license plates manufacturers or their dealers. The Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi or any of the agency authorized by the Central Government shall approve the license plates manufactures to the above specification;
(vi) the size of the plate for different categories of vehicles shall be as follows:-
For two and three wheelers - 200 X 100 mm
For Light Motor Vehicles/passenger cars – 340 X 200 mm/500 X 120 mm
For medium commercial vehicles, heavy commercial vehicles and Trailer/combination – 340 X 200 mm:”
Provided that this sub-rule shall apply to already registered vehicles two years from the date of commencement.”
(b) in sub-rule (2), for clause (d), the following shall be substituted, namely :-
“(d) the letters of the registration mark shall be in English and the figures shall be in Arabic numerals and the letters and figures shall be embossed and hot-stamped and shall be shown :-
(A) in the case of transport vehicles in Black colour on yellow background ; and
(B) in other cases, in Black colour on While background, the registration mark on the trailer shall be exhibited on the left hand side in Black colour on yellow background. In addition, the registration mark of the drawing vehicle shall be exhibited on the trailer also and this shall be done on the right hand side at the rear of the trailer or the last trailer as the case may be, in Black colour on retro-reflective type yellow background”;
Rest of the SOs also do not mention the necessity of prefixing zeros when the numerals are less than 1000. The SOs are also available in the same link.

Mods: Please merge my posts if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 7th October 2014 at 05:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks