Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:21   #166
Senior - BHPian

Heartwarming story - Bangalore techie quits IT job, drives a cab

Quote:
A husband who quit his high-paying job as a resource desk engineer in HP after eight years to become a cab driver, and a wife who quit Convergys as a quality advisor to take up part-time stitching of clothes for children less fortunate than hers... this is the story of 33-year-old Deepak Shanmugam and his wife, Vijaylakshmi, 28.
Full story at: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/47006028.cms

"Love of driving". tbhp folks, if you ever find yourself needing a cab in bangalore, use this guy.

Pity bangalore mirror didn't print his phone number, but he apparently drives a taxiforsure indica.

Mod Note: Moved to an existing thread where more people are likely to see it.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd April 2015 at 11:38. Reason: Adding an extract from teh article in line with fair usage practice
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Surprisingly, most mention that Uber is stricter to get through because they have a detailed background check which involves taking info from the police. Clearly, they have/had different standards for India.
Actually they did, but you know how Police is in India. If driver/agent wants he will get the documents.
And how "well connected" is the network (Delhi police has zero clues about UP offenders).
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:24   #168
Senior - BHPian

Ola revised prices!
https://www.olacabs.com/fares/bangalore

This is very expensive. Re. 1 per minute of riding time? Ridiculous! On top of that they charge Rs. 50 peak time charges.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 21:07   #169
JD1
BHPian

Are peak charges even legal? Ola, Taxiforsure had 50 and now Meru Genie also started charging 50. Not to mention the surge pricing of Uber (have seen surge price past midnight too and also as high as 3x!!).
Old 24th April 2015, 13:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Chaloge Kya: Jaipur’s new rickshaw hailing app

Radio cabs have become an increasingly popular option for commuters, with companies like Uber offering the service without a fleet of its own. A young entrepreneur named Apoorv Sharma has seen the potential in apps like Uber and has created an app of his own, targeting auto rickshaws in Jaipur.

The app is named ChalogeKya and commuters can use it to locate and hail the rickshaw closest to them. The service is free of charge for users, while auto rickshaw owners have to pay a monthly subscription fee to be visible on the app. The drivers are provided with a regular SIM card by the company.

ChalogeKya works with a combination of GPS and cell tower triangulation to enable direct contact between the passenger and the rickshaw. The app is aimed at providing an easier connect between commuters and rickshaws, but does not regulate the tariff or payments. However, it does have a feature to provide an estimate based on the starting point and destination.

ChalogeKya has tied up with Airtel and Idea for providing location based services using GPS and triangulation methods for the auto rickshaws across Rajasthan. The project is backed by Startup Oasis - an initiative by the Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation (RIICO) and the Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE). ChalogeKya has also received funding from Rajasthan Angel Investors Network (RAIN).

Source: TOI

Click here for more details on the app.

(*Mods kindly move thread if required)

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-1.jpg

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-5.jpg

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-6.jpg

Name:  2 2.png
Views: 2220
Size:  297.2 KB

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-3.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 24th April 2015 at 13:34.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 14:08   #171
MHG
BHPian

re: Chaloge Kya: Jaipur’s new rickshaw hailing app

"The first ever app which hire auto rickshaw for you" - a lie powered by the added goodness of bad grammar.

There are plenty of apps which have come up in the last few years for hiring auto rickshaws, not counting platforms like Ola Cabs and Uber which can also be used to hire auto rickshaws in some cities.

While I always support new initiatives and want these guys to succeed, I dislike shoddy marketing.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:13   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Ola revised prices!
https://www.olacabs.com/fares/bangalore

This is very expensive. Re. 1 per minute of riding time? Ridiculous! On top of that they charge Rs. 50 peak time charges.
This is absolutely ridiculous!

I wrote a mail to Bhavish Aggarwal (CEO & Co-founder of Ola Cabs) yesterday and I got an absolutely idiotic reply from his staffer - with no reference to the context!

"Dear Mr. Bhavish Aggarwal

My apologies for writing to you directly, but I need someone to help me understand Ola’s billing methods better!
Until now, whenever I used a Ola Mini, the billing was as follows:
“Minimum bill of ₹100 for the first 6Kms and ₹10/km thereafter. Wait time charges at ₹2.0 per min after first 10 minutes, includes waiting time during the trip.”

Today, I find that that the billing has changed as follows:
“Minimum bill of ₹80 for the first 4 km and ₹10/km thereafter. Ride time at ₹1 per min after first 5 min, includes waiting time during the trip

Can you kindly enlighten me on the concept of ride time?
Earlier you charged Rs. 2/minute for waiting DURING the journey, not to mention a Congestion Charge of Rs. 50 during peak time (which still stands)!

The wait time/ride time/congestion fee/change of base km…..will this not lead to multiple billing thereby rendering Ola uneconomical?

I have been using Ola Cabs regularly due to ease of use and reasonable billing. I keep my Ola money account charged up to further the concept of stress-free travelling, in spite of owning cars!
The least I would have expected from Ola was a communication that the billing method had changed and that “ride time” would be charged as well!

Agreed, it is there in the fine print – at the time of booking through the Ola app, but you will doubtless appreciate the impossibility of reading the ‘fine print’ when one is waiting for a cab on the road!

I shall be thankful if you could kindly drop a line in reply.

With my kind regards,

Bopanna"

Mail forwarded by Bhavish Aggarwal to his 'Customer Support'

On Mon, 4 May at 12:28 PM , Mail <mail@bopanna.com> wrote: customer got over charged plz check this booking
Speaks a lot about Ola's attitude towards customers!

This is the reply I got from his Customer (dis?)Service!

Ola Bopanna, Thank you for contacting Olacabs. We kindly request you to revert with exact amount which is charged, so that we can check and do the needful.
If there's anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us on 3355 3355 (please add your city code before the number). You can also drop us an email at support@olacabs.com.

Regards,
XXX
Customer Support
Olacabs

A bunch of swindlers, to say the least.
What started off as an excellent service is getting taken over by greed, the typical Indian way of killing the golden goose!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 5th May 2015 at 16:18.
Old 5th May 2015, 16:36   #173
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous!

I wrote a mail to Bhavish Aggarwal (CEO & Co-founder of Ola Cabs) yesterday and I got an absolutely idiotic reply from his staffer - with no reference to the context!

What started off as an excellent service is getting taken over by greed, the typical Indian way of killing the golden goose!
Totally agree. I used to love Ola but with their greediness by applying surcharge first (which Meru also followed and is applying now) and then the ride time charges, I have also stopped using Ola. On their FB page you will see countless comments/concerns regarding this ride time charge which is absolutely ridiculous considering they did not reduce per km charge (Uber also has ride time charge but their per km charge is lower to compensate that so overall its still reasonable as long as you don't get surge charged). I even posted one of my Uber bill details and compared them to Ola to show them how much they are expensive thanks to the ride time charges.
As seen from your example, their customer service is also going downhill (not that it was great earlier). As you rightly said - they are set out to kill the golden goose.
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:44   #174
Senior - BHPian

Through the grapevine, am hearing that Ola is asking drivers to pay them back a part of their profits. Earlier, Ola used to pay the drivers something. So, it is not only the customers, Ola is squeezing money from the drivers as well. End of 'achche din', looks like.
Old 5th May 2015, 19:30   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
A bunch of swindlers, to say the least.
On top of that nowadays I have noticed that it is not possible to use the "ride later" option for ola mini. We have to select sedan and above. But this option is still available in meru.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:21   #176
Senior - BHPian

Why is that TaxiForSure confirms your taxi booking and driver available only 15 minutes prior to the journey time?
Are they nuts?
In my case, they sent a message that they are unable to send the taxi, how do they expect me to find another taxi in such short duration?

Can anyone confirm that the same is that case in other cities too?
Old 6th May 2015, 20:01   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why is that TaxiForSure confirms your taxi booking and driver available only 15 minutes prior to the journey time?
Are they nuts?
In my case, they sent a message that they are unable to send the taxi, how do they expect me to find another taxi in such short duration?

Can anyone confirm that the same is that case in other cities too?
I did go through this horror as well in Bangalore!

I had booked a '8 hour 80 kms' cab, a full day in advance. As usual, got a SMS confirmation that driver details will be shared 15 mins prior to pickup time.

To my shock, at the pickup time, I get a SMS mentioning that my booking is canceled and they are assigning another cab. I speak to this new cab driver and he says he will just provide a drop to the location and will not provide 8 hours service. I got wild and called the customer care. The executive says "Sorry Sir, No drivers are agreeing for 8 hours and 80 kms" booking. I can arrange a drop and then a pickup from that location."

I make a booking a full day in advance to address my aged parent's travel needs and I head to my office, relying on their service. And TaxiforSure gives me a shock at the nth minute! How un-fair to leave a customer at such a situation?

If they don't honor a booking and provide their own listed service, why do they operate?
Old 6th May 2015, 21:52   #178
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

I had booked a '8 hour 80 kms' cab, a full day in advance.
I almost escaped from this horror. When I wanted 8 hr/80 kms cab for my parents, instead of booking via app, I called them. Fortunately for me they said they will check with drivers and call me back. They called me back and said they cannot confirm any drivers so I had time to arrange alternate cab. Later one day when I was talking to a TFS driver, he said that no driver wants to take up 8 hr assignment because they get more money (via more trips and incentives) in those 8 hrs doing multiple short trips instead of taking a long single assignment.

I have had instances with TaxiforSure (more than other cab companies) about drivers not showing up on advance booked confirmed rides (and these are rides where I have got driver/cab assigned). Fortunately all these instances they assigned an alternate driver - the downside is I had to wait longer. However, I also faced situations where 15-30 minutes before the ride they messaging me that my trip is not confirmed and driver/cab cannot be assigned so I had to look for another cab. Helpdesk was of no help in such situations. The difference between these 2 situations was in the first case driver/cab was assigned (and they were able to help with replacement) and the second case no cab was assigned.

Last edited by JD1 : 6th May 2015 at 21:53.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:37   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Later one day when I was talking to a TFS driver, he said that no driver wants to take up 8 hr assignment because they get more money (via more trips and incentives) in those 8 hrs doing multiple short trips instead of taking a long single assignment.
Exactly! So, why have a service that cannot be delivered? TaxiforSure should remove the (8hr/4hr) option from their list of services.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:15   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Are they nuts?
In addition to all that has already been explained, let me add my 2 cents. When you make a booking with TFS (and Uber, Ola, etc) the booking is saved and as the Trip Time approaches, your booking details will start to appear on their drivers' / fleet's mobile phones and it is entirely upto them to accept or not to accept the booking.

Therefore realistically the provider will only be able to confirm a cab once a driver agrees to the fare and then communicate the same to you - which usually happens 30mins - 2 hours before your pick up time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

I had booked a '8 hour 80 kms' cab, a full day in advance. As usual, got a SMS confirmation that driver details will be shared 15 mins prior to pickup time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I almost escaped from this horror. When I wanted 8 hr/80 kms cab for my parents,
I have used the 8 hour / 80kms options multiple times but only from Meru Plus and have always been very happy with their service. Only problem has been that the cab drivers arrived 10-20mins late and usually don't know their way about to well. Other than that, Meru Plus has been a very pleasant and VERY useful experience.

Last edited by PGNarain : 7th May 2015 at 11:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks