Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 12:18   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
In addition to all that has already been explained, let me add my 2 cents. When you make a booking with TFS (and Uber, Ola, etc) the booking is saved and as the Trip Time approaches, your booking details will start to appear on their drivers' / fleet's mobile phones and it is entirely upto them to accept or not to accept the booking.

Therefore realistically the provider will only be able to confirm a cab once a driver agrees to the fare and then communicate the same to you - which usually happens 30mins - 2 hours before your pick up time!
Well what you said then implies that they have a very poor coverage.
They don't have sufficient number of taxi drivers to cover the city!
Because if they had, they would not be banking on only one driver. As soon as one refuses, the request can go to another one.

Is this the reason why Uber (I don't know their policy right now, but initially) used to take only instantaneous bookings, and used to come with driver rating? (To increase the reliability and quality of service)
Old 7th May 2015, 15:40   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
..... they would not be banking on only one driver. As soon as one refuses, the request can go to another one.
No, they aren't banking on just one driver and any particular customer is up for grabs by multiple drivers.

I was trying to explain some queries raised by members whose posts I have quoted in my reply and becoz of members are experiencing non-availability of Taxis / Cabs simply because their proposed trip / fare is unattractive and not because of an actual unavailability of cabs / cars / taxis!!

Quote:
Is this the reason why Uber (I don't know their policy right now, but initially) used to take only instantaneous bookings, and used to come with driver rating? (To increase the reliability and quality of service)
I have absolutely no idea about Uber and have never used them, though I think that the Uber Transport Model is the way to the future!

Last edited by PGNarain : 7th May 2015 at 15:43.
Old 13th May 2015, 09:12   #183
BHPian

At one of the recent academic event on energy and pollution, I learnt that government is mulling regulating Ola and the likes in Delhi because many really old yellow boards from NCR have been able to operate within Delhi via Ola whereas Delhi public transport is supposed to be CNG operated. The local Pollution Control Board has written to the transport office to look into this.

I also recall getting HR and UP registered diesel indica and etios while booking with Ola.
Old 20th May 2015, 21:43   #184
JD1
BHPian

I just noticed that Taxi for sure has also now revised their pricing for Bangalore (since May 8th actually) and started to include Ride time charge of Rs 1/per minute. Can't say I am surprised since the parent company is Ola so obviously following their footsteps. Good thing is they still have kept the minimum fare untouched and now night time charge will start at midnight and not from 9pm.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:54   #185
BHPian

Noticed a Ford Ikon(!) Ola cab today. Looked kind of new. How are they able to get hold of these?
Old 4th June 2015, 23:59   #186
Senior - BHPian

In a stroke of mad genius, Delhi police is going after Uber and Ola for not following the Radio taxi rules (?) by signing up, requesting a ride and arresting the cabbies who turn up:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/de...arrival-699678

~158 cabbies were caught this way on Wednesday.

This is completely ironic - the same AAP government which introduced some 5k NCR permits to auto rickshaws, rejected Ola and Uber's applications, and is now persecuting them for non-compliance.

In such an environment, which industrialist in his right mind would want to Make/Deal/Service/[..] in India?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 00:01   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In a stroke of mad genius, Delhi police is going after Uber and Ola for not following the Radio taxi rules (?) by signing up, requesting a ride and arresting the cabbies who turn up:

~158 cabbies were caught this way on Wednesday.
Oh my god! Thats really sad for those poor drivers. Imagine their state now whenever they get a pick up notification. Not sure what the police get out of such wicked tricks. If they do have a problem with the policies, they should catch hold of the policy makers and not the people who are signed up to follow these policies IMO.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:26   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Oh my god! Thats really sad for those poor drivers. Imagine their state now whenever they get a pick up notification. Not sure what the police get out of such wicked tricks. If they do have a problem with the policies, they should catch hold of the policy makers and not the people who are signed up to follow these policies IMO.
Nothing wrong in what the police are doing. Going undercover posing as junkies is one legitimate way to bust the drug trade, so why not use it here as well?

It's the law that is the ass here. Police can't be faulted for doing their duty.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:55   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nothing wrong in what the police are doing. Going undercover posing as junkies is one legitimate way to bust the drug trade, so why not use it here as well?

It's the law that is the ass here. Police can't be faulted for doing their duty.
Good approach. Wish Police use this for crimes like Corruption, Fraud etc.. Delhi will turn for the better in 1 year But they can't because, half the administration will be spending time in jail or court.

Targeting start-ups is just an easy way to get publicity.

BTW on what basis was Uber denied licence?
Old 5th June 2015, 13:18   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
BTW on what basis was Uber denied licence?
I think Uber didn't furnish list of all its drivers. Isn't this simple task for Uber? Uber head now says they will re-apply again with all required details.
Old 5th June 2015, 13:20   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I think Uber didn't furnish list of all its drivers. Isn't this simple task for Uber? Uber head now says they will re-apply again with all required details.
Sounds like a silly reason. Uber should be able to provide the details along with the ratings received so far. Wonder why they didn't provide.
Old 5th June 2015, 13:40   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Sounds like a silly reason. Uber should be able to provide the details along with the ratings received so far. Wonder why they didn't provide.
The reason they gave last time was, the details of drivers are with the parent company and India Uber operations don't have access to that database. India managers merely signup drivers.

For me it seems Uber wants to be in the news for both right and wrong reasons.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 13:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

No sorry - the issue is deeper.

Its the lawmakers and policemen as well.

There's no intent to reduce the pain for the motorists - they could've announced this activity, and Uber would've anyways come to the table for negotiations, as they are doing now. They could've let off the taxis with a warning than get permits cancelled. This is a serious mess.

Instead of rejecting the application - they could've announced a deadline for settling non-compliances. Clearly diplomacy takes a backseat when governments can throw their weight around and get away with it.

I have a friend who stood for half an hour today and couldn't get autos because of the sudden surge for autos (in delhi). My wife has booked with Ola on her arrival at Delhi airport today. I'm hoping her booking isn't canceled.

I personally abhor such lawmakers and policemen who will act without thinking through the consequences of their actions, and ignore perfectly feasible and equally effective alternatives.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 14:38   #194
BHPian

"On May 28, Uber and Ola cabs were asked to provide details like number of vehicles and addresses of their drivers to ensure regularisation of their services but the two operators did not comply with it, Transport Minister Gopal Rai said."

Old 5th June 2015, 15:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

There was also the news that Ola and Uber were continuing their cab services in Delhi despite being banned. They were asked to stop their services and then apply for license. The Government says that they cannot give license to someone who is illegally flouting the rules and running business despite banned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks