Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 10:26   #31
BHPian

Re: December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Numbers bring up some interesting facts - like Maruti Suzuki sold more made-to-order Gypsys (894) than the entire sales of Fiats (803)?
Top 20 include Maruthi's 10. Indian car means maruthi car. Very impressive.
Looks like only real challenge comes from Hyundai i10 and i20 Honda City and Mahindra's Bolero.

All other models are way behind. They lack repeat value
Old 7th January 2015, 10:56   #32
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are color-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to see that he xcent sales have been on a downward trend for the last 4-5 months. Should be worrisome for Hyundai considering the high volumes that the Elite i20 and Grand i10 are generating. It is also way behind the Amaze this month. Looks like thats why they have the plan to put the 1.4 diesel mill into the xcent.

Apart from a couple of months, looks like neither the xcent or the zest have been able to dent Amaze sales. That is a great show considering the car is almost 2 years old now and is nowhere as well equipped as the other 2. Looks like the powerful diesel and spacious interiors are doing the trick along with the Honda badge.

Amazing that City is consistently pulling in 6K numbers. I feel once it gets into the C2 Segment, the brand value is key for the buyer. Maruti is going to have a tough time beating the City with the Ciaz although it is a capable car.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

My few words:

Chevrolet & Ford: Two big American giants, big shame to them. Hardly anything is selling for them. GM has so many models but total volume is not even what Maruti has for its so called not well selling Model Ritz. Such a shame to them. Better they close the India operations if they are not interested. Ford Ecosport has also lost its interest from people now, hardly anyone is interested now. New Figo, i don't see it selling in crowded market as it don't have any USP.

Fiat: Doing better than last year. Linea is a wonderful car and should sell more. I guess they need some more marketing.

Honda: City is back again to its glory. Selling 6K + is cool. Outsells Ciaz by a margin. Need to watch next few months. Brio is flop & nothing exciting about it. Mobilio has lost it against Ertiga, clearly. With old excise duty back, price of Mobilio will increase more, i can see sells coming further down. Amaze is doing ok but not Amazing.

Hyundai: RIP Santro. I am still surprised that why Hyundai don't want to continue with it. Its such a gem of a car. i10 & i20 doing great. All credit to their design team. Verna losing to City & Ciaz now. Eon doing its duty and bringing good numbers for them month after month.

Mahindra: Back in business but not great. Bolero XUV and Scorpio only selling. Scorpio numbers are down every month, worrying for them. Price is definitely high for new model. Apart from these 3, nothing for them.

Maruti: Any manufacturer will be proud of these numbers. Just look at the table, all doing good business in December. Just wow, nothing else.

Nissan/Datsun: Nothing apart from Terrano doing some decent business. God knows what their strategy is.

Renault: One model company. Looking forward to Lodgy now, if priced correctly it can bring volumes for them.

Skoda: Nothing much, they are still selling some numbers is a great news for them. Don't see their A.S.S. improving.

Tata: Need to increase the supplies ASAP. Price bolt aggressively, market Nano more. Sad to see Aria numbers, its such a good car. Storme also struggling due to bad name of Tata i guess.

Toyota: Innova & Fortuners doing business as usual. Nothing exciting apart from it.

Volkswagen: Mainly Polo only selling. Soon it will also come down i guess. They need more models i guess.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I have a feeling, in the case of Zest, demand is more for the AMT models, but there is a shortage for AMT kits. TML could have packaged the AMT model differently with more goodies at a higher price, so that people will consider non AMT models. The AMT situation may not get better in the near future.
AMT is Zest's USP, higher price could have dampened the sales. Most of the potential buyers are considering Zest as its the only model that offers AMT in that segment.

As far as supply is concerned, Magneti Marelli is supplying AMT boxes to Tata and also to Maruti. I think Tata dint do a good job in anticipating the demand for AMT models which resulted into supply constraints and waiting time of more than 6 weeks for Zest AMT
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the other end of the chart, despite all the updates to the sales and service networks as well as to their cars, Fiat as a brand still sells less cars than the newbie brand - Datsun MoM. It is high time manufacturers re-look and re-design the PLC for their cars in India. I am actually very happy that some cars here are not selling and they deserve to be shown the door. What is the point of decade old cars being refreshed and still continue to sell (as all new or classic) in the market. If the car didn't sell well in 2 years, it is time that the company must focus its resources on newer and better products rather than invest more to just about break even, thus incurring losses in the process.

I wonder how companies like Chevrolet, Ford, HM, Nissan, Renault etc even churn respectable profits by solely depending on 1 car to drive sales. Yes, due to policy uncertainties and India's diversity, these companies may be too cautious to venture into newer segments but they can surely bring down some of their successful and modern cars which exist in international markets, to show their seriousness towards India and be competitive in the market. It will be a slow process but then all it takes is for one product to click. I'm sure they have capable R&D departments to ensure that the right product is brought down at the right time and price.

Maruti and Mahindra are so successful in the country because they are so focussed towards the market, and know exactly what the Indian car buyer wants and offers suitable cars. It isn't a joke to achieve a certain market share and sustain the position. Call them tin cans or crude, but both these companies are doing something right for sure.

I wouldn't term the Ciaz as a dud from Maruti just yet, as it still sells more than the competition who are perceived to be far more premium in comparison. Being a brand new product, it is only after the first 6 months will the sales really give out a clearer picture. The same goes with the Zest. Now with the Alto K10 AMT too making its way, the demand for the AMT units will result in even longer waiting periods till their production is sorted out and this could result in even longer waiting periods for the Zest AMT. I'm not sure of the ratio of Zest petrol:diesel being sold, but I'd imagine it is the diesel with higher numbers. However, I really wish the Zest is a success as Tata is one brand which is actually trying to drive sales and it shows, unlike others who are waiting for miracles.

Hyundai offer some extremely competitive cars and have periodically updated its product line up too. Their cars offer superb value for money (features to price ratio) and are well screwed together too. They have recognised the laggards in their line and eventually discontinued those cars rather than giving those unnecessary facelifts with the hope that they will sell some day - the exact opposite of what the brands at the bottom of the chart are doing. These things distinguish the winners from the rest. With the soon to be launched, super competent ix25, its market share is bound to increase. God bless the competition.

Last edited by S2!!! : 7th January 2015 at 11:44.
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 11:58   #37
BHPian

Lets give a bit more time to Ciaz, but I doubt that numbers will be very different.
Somehow the VFM image of Maruti does not attract people looking to stand out in crowd.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:07   #38
BHPian

This year belongs to Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and Honda.

All the others have slipped somewhat.

Kudos to Honda for making a great comeback, helped in no small part by their new diesel powered engine.

Excellent going by Hyundai, goes to show that quality cannot be ignored. Hats off to them for bringing international standards to India and then redefining the small car segment.

Keep up the good work guys, with the excellent analysis and data.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 12:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Guys, don't read too much into the drop in Ecosport & Figo numbers. Ford is an American company and follows the calendar year for financial closing.

They have manufactured 14,401 vehicles in December '14, which I think is the highest they have produced in a very long time (could be highest ever). Of these 10647 vehicles were exported. Margins are much better here and was definitely prioritised to maximise sale at the year end. The Ecosport is still very much in demand and has a waiting period.

The Figo refresh & Compact Sedan should launch by April / May and till then it will sell ~1000 - 1500 per month at least.

Source

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 7th January 2015 at 12:34.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Toyota: Innova & Fortuners doing business as usual. Nothing exciting apart from it.
Dont forget the Corolla. It is churning decent numbers and holds close to 70% share in the D1 segment. the new model has been a success for them even with a sub par diesel engine.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 14:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Dont forget the Corolla. It is churning decent numbers and holds close to 70% share in the D1 segment. the new model has been a success for them even with a sub par diesel engine.
Somehow i totally forgot about Corolla, thanks for reminding . It is doing surprisingly well and i am really surprised about it. It's a costly car compared to what it offers but still it sells, good for them.

Lot of people saying Ciaz is not very successful. But Maruti has sold more than 17 K cars in first 4 months only. That's certainly not a small number. Do remember other thing, only City is selling more than Ciaz. All others like Verna, Vento, Rapid, Sunny, etc are far behind. Once production stabilizes i guess number can go up. If not, Maruti will soon start giving some discounts / offers on it, specially diesel model considering their latest trend. They are quite expert in giving discounts & offers and generate volume. Lets see how it goes. Only after next 3 months we will be sure about it.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 14:04   #42
BHPian

Being the one waiting for Zest Revotron delivery, I was told by the dealer that TM had huge bookings in December, more so in the last week 2 weeks. And that they are facing transportation issues in delivering the cars to dealers.
So, I'm still waiting with no news on ETA. They say ETA can be given only after the car moves out of the plant.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:19   #43
BHPian

As usual great insight through sales data.

1) We have undisputed leaders in few segments

Alto - ~>80% - undisputed king
Swift - ~40 % share
Dzire - ~50% share
and THE biggest of them
Fortuner - ~80% share - Toyota would be laughing all the way to the bank.

2) Toyota leads the race in D1 and premium SUV but bites the dust in Hatch (liva) and sedan (etios). Maruti is the undisputed lord in small cars and C1 segment but unable to do good in higher segments. Honda has two models doing good but not the others. So what decides success in a segment - manufacturer or the model/product or both or something else?

3) Is the Indian car market getting crowded and headed for consolidation as some of the players are faring very poorly. Will some of them shut shop in near future?

As Dada muni said in HumLog television serial - We shall see!
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Lets give a bit more time to Ciaz, but I doubt that numbers will be very different.
Somehow the VFM image of Maruti does not attract people looking to stand out in crowd.
+1 but i think its going to get an increasingly uphill battle with each passing month. City got a lot of flak early on too but not the kinds that MSIL has been getting for Ciaz.

Ciaz launch was a fiasco by all standards. The Z+ variant stripped down of the most promising feature was the first mis-step.

Then the resulting fiasco around huge gap between bookings & delivery was the 2nd. I'd booked my car Sept and no news until diwali. I went ahead and got an Elantra that was delivered in a weeks time. I saw similarly frustrated buyers cancelling their Ciaz bookings.

Finally the recall seems to have made it only worse. Besides, i've heard genuine grouses from owners in my company about the under thigh support on the rear. This can't be a singular reason for its volumes but am mentioning this cause its being talked about by those who have got their cars.

But i genuinely feel sad for the Zest. I don't have much faith in Bolt changing the perceptions but the Zest seemed to have everything going for it from the reviews but the sales simply defy logic. Like someone said, Tata badly needs to invest in some innovative marketing cause nothing builds a perception like the number of cars actually on the road. Run of the mill stuff such as print & media adds are not going to cut it. It really needs more people to test drive the car, get a feel of it.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:29   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
If you look at the manufacturers with highest market share, they have early mover advantage
General Motors & Ford came to India before Hyundai did. What happened to them? Even a noob like Renault is outselling them.

Tata Motors was selling passenger cars before the doors of liberalisation opened up. It's languishing today.

Early birds like HM & Premier sell less cars than some used car dealers I know.

Another early bird - Mahindra - was a minor player until the Scorpio was developed and Qualis discontinued (Bolero sales shot through the roof only after the Qualis' demise). Mahindra was a relatively small player in the eighties & nineties.

Maruti came earlier than most of the players today, yes, but it is also the one who maximised that 'early bird' advantage. Even today, you rarely see Maruti putting a foot wrong. It's among the most aggressive car manufacturers around. Newer players are lazy in comparison.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks