Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 12:17   #61
BHPian

Re: December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Tata Zest volumes is a shocker for me

Not figuring in the Top 20 models and a 20% decline M-o-M in shipments is not what I had expected. Usually manufacturers curtail their December month production so that dealers can clear their inventory. But for a new car launch like Zest which supposedly has a 3 to 6 months waiting period, there is No reason for Tata to cut down on production because dealers would not have any stock in their inventory and those who booked their cars would not insist on a 2015 manufactured car.

Also what happened to Ford Figo? Only 151 units in December. Are we approaching launch of new Figo in Jan or Feb?

IMHO, Tata maybe preparing for the Bolt launch and deliveries. This can be seen from the 850-odd dispatches of the Bolt in December. Plus its December; customers might be loathe to take deliveries in the last month of the CY given depreciation issues!

Last edited by cingsman : 8th January 2015 at 12:18.
Old 8th January 2015, 12:21   #62
BHPian

I do not intend to say Tata Motors is at fault, however demand anticipation may have went wrong which have led to procurement of lesser numbers of AMT boxes from vendor. Since vendor also has other commitments,it may be difficult to change the production schedule.

As far as waiting times for Maruti are concerned, It is setting up a new AMT manufacturing line at Manesar in joint venture with Magneti Marelli which will be operational sometime this year This will definitely bring down the lead times for Celerio and Alto.

Last edited by Autolock123 : 8th January 2015 at 12:23.
Autolock123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 15:27   #63
BHPian

I think Fiat, Ford & GM should shut their shops & exit instead of building cars that neither make any sense nor sell well despite being in the market for almost two decades. God knows how Fiat is existing while GM's lifeline is its Beat. Ford's Ecosport which once had a year long waiting period will soon vanish once the Sx-cross & ix-25 arrive. Even Bolero has more sales than all cars of these 3 combined!
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 16:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Even Bolero has more sales than all cars of these 3 combined!
Its more like "mighty Bolero" than even Bolero.

Bolero has been M&Ms star since years and consistently features in the top 5 chart all through.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:17   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket.u View Post
Why is there never a mention of the number of thars sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish.Thapar View Post
It will be interesting to know the number of vehicles sold in petrol and diesel engines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is there any way to know the City/Region wise sales?
Guys, please note that we don't withhold any data. Whatever we receive, we publish

Manufacturers are reluctant to share the stats you've requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
The AMT in MSIL petrol cars is of the first generation while in Zest Diesel is the latest generation.

Both agreements for supply has no priority treatment by the vendor, though the vendor itself is not able to produce the desired numbers of AMT units against demand due to few sub-components required to be imported.

MagMar is working towards increased production by giving priority to India against other markets and the situation is expected to improve in next 4 - 6 weeks.
Very insightful post, thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Dzire remains unruffled on top of the compact sedan segment, inspite of all new product offerings from Honda , Hyundai and Tata's.
All down to Maruti's brand / goodwill, and it's super slick sales & marketing machinery.

Quote:
God knows how Fiat is existing
You might be interested in this post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As expected, it's the engine business that's bringing in the $$$$.

Even if we take a back-of-the-envelope figure of 6.0 lakhs / cars invoice value (mix of Puntos & Lineas...again, rough figure), the turnover from selling cars is merely 700 crore (780 crore @ 6.5 lakh / car invoice value). That's less than 20% of their turnover.

Whatever way you look at it, ~3000 crores of that revenue is coming from engines (majorly), engine licencing fee (mainly Maruti), spare parts (small component) and other businesses.

Fiat India is an engine company first, then a car company. Honestly, it's a great USP to have. No other manufacturer can boast of 3,000 crores of revenue from engines! Of course, the biggest challenge is if Maruti develops their own diesel and stops using Fiat's motors. The Italians are really in trouble then. It will happen sooner or later.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 16:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Fiat, Ford & GM should shut their shops & exit instead of building cars that neither make any sense nor sell well despite being in the market for almost two decades. God knows how Fiat is existing while GM's lifeline is its Beat. Ford's Ecosport which once had a year long waiting period will soon vanish once the Sx-cross & ix-25 arrive. Even Bolero has more sales than all cars of these 3 combined!

I am not sure of GM and what their plan is . But FIAT and FORD gives us good cars at least. FIAT has its income from its famed engine and Ford from exporting Ecosports., so these two shutting shop is not going to happen.

GM on the other hand, I agree. Apart from Cruze and Beat and all the re-call and other fiasco's, I really don't think they will be missed.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:06   #67
BHPian

Mobilio cudn't sell half of Ertiga's numbers. Only goes to prove that the idea of charging double the price of brio for just one more row of seats, didn't work.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 18:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
An Interesting thing, Renault Duster + Nissan Terrano is at 4739, which is greater than the new face-lifted M&M Scorpio @ 3469 and Ford EcoSport @ 3365. So looks like the Renault-Nissan Alliance is enjoying the sales figure and with Lodgy in the pipeline things are looking only to move forward for this JV
Dear Soumo

I have seen multiple threads supporting the Lodgy and how it may bring a smile to the Renault management faces/turn fortunes etc.

However, in my earnest modesty, Lodgy feels a decade old model.

See the model:
December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-renaultlodgyfrontthreefourth16904.jpg

From which angle do we see a freshness here?
I am again of the opinion that Lodgy, in all Renault's wisdom will be priced in excess of 9 lacs On road.

Competent people movers like Mobilio and Ertiga as competitors, Lodgy may not lodge anyone.

Again, reiterating, I feel this is another wasted effort and may end up the Evalia way.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 19:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Mobilio cudn't sell half of Ertiga's numbers. Only goes to prove that the idea of charging double the price of brio for just one more row of seats, didn't work.
I believe this is a tad early to judge the performance of the Mobilio. It could have been due to production constraint issues. It is also possible that Honda is keeping some capacity for the to be launched Jazz. Maybe Jan and Feb fugures should tell the true story.

But I certainly agree that Honda cannot charge double the charge of the Brio just for an additional 2 seats
Old 8th January 2015, 20:39   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post
But I certainly agree that Honda cannot charge double the charge of the Brio just for an additional 2 seats
And that's the whole story! What has doubled has overshot the Top end Ertiga by a Huge margin for nothing significant in terms of offerings for that price difference.

I assure you that none of the buyers - Whether it is Ertiga or Mobilio buy it for a full time 7 seater usage. Its the flexibility that it offers for the 6th and 7th occupant which is the USP.

Not sure if we have to blame production constraints here but the numbers certainly give a lot of hints.
Old 8th January 2015, 20:58   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post

I believe this is a tad early to judge the performance of the Mobilio. It could have been due to production constraint issues. It is also possible that Honda is keeping some capacity for the to be launched Jazz. Maybe Jan and Feb fugures should tell the true story.
January or February or even March, the Mobilio sales won't go much ahead until the prices come down at least to the Ertiga's level. Maruti priced the Ertiga correctly but Honda went overboard (Read overconfidence) thanks to the demand created by Amaze. They thought the Mobilio will yield the same figures but sadly they are proven wrong this time again. Hope the Mobilio doesn't go the Jazz way.

Look at the post in the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post3617775

A small comparison of the sales from July'14 till Dec'14.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th January 2015 at 21:01.
Old 9th January 2015, 00:07   #72
BHPian

I am not sure if the sales numbers of the Zest given here is accurate.. There has been no official statement from the Tatas regarding the Zest sales numbers for December.. All they have come out with is that the the total PV sales stood at around 12k.. Without atleast a 4k-5k sort of sales figure clocked by the Zest, its hard to fathom Tata achieving a monthly number of 12k.. That means the Nanos, Sumos, Safaris, Manzas etc cumulatively sold around 9k units which is highly unlikely for Dec, 14..
Old 9th January 2015, 06:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Its more like "mighty Bolero" than even Bolero.

Bolero has been M&Ms star since years and consistently features in the top 5 chart all through.
Those chaps at M&M must be thoroughly confused.

They did everything to bring down the Bolero( plasticize everything possible, common railing the fuel system without properly water-proofing the engine bay, still no ABS/airbag, the chassis not rust-proof unlike the earlier model) yet this sells.

As from the market side, i can say that 'rural India shining'. Used Boleros are grabbed as soon as it comes for sale. I sold a 2008 SLE model for 4.5 lakhs in 2010, and even now i see the same model 'asking' 4L+.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 08:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, in my earnest modesty, Lodgy feels a decade old model.From which angle do we see a freshness here?
Again, reiterating, I feel this is another wasted effort and may end up the Evalia way.[/b]
Not necessarily, because with a front end / grill tweaked to resemble the Duster and with the fuel efficient engine, it could smell success.
Evalia failed because of the sliding doors and glasses.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th January 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Post edited on request.
Old 9th January 2015, 09:02   #75
BANNED

Quote:
However, in my earnest modesty, Lodgy feels a decade old model.
Agree with you 100%. Moreover, the Duster itself looks like a decade-old one, especially from rear. when I saw the Duster for the first time, I thought Renault brought in an old model which was discontinued from other markets.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks