Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 03:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I have a trusted COCO HP pump near my house and I always fill from there.

I can "understand" this practice with a private pump but a COCO doing it is shocking!

Has anyone seen this modus operandi before?
This happens quite often with me as well at the HP Bandra COCO pump and most recently at one of their dealer outlets in Parle.
Old 15th February 2022, 06:39   #47
BHPian

While all 3 government owned refineries have COCO type pumps as well as private pumps, my experience has shown that IOC branded pumps have a greater propensity to have issues with bad fuel and pump rigging.

Has anybody else observed this as well?
kosjam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 07:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
While all 3 government owned refineries have COCO type pumps as well as private pumps, my experience has shown that IOC branded pumps have a greater propensity to have issues with bad fuel and pump rigging.

I agree and have experienced scams at IOC pumps in terms of pump rigging and wrong inflated price being charged.

I find Shell to be most reliable but fuel prices are normally 5% high as compared to state retailers.

Among state retailers I prefer HP over others. Experience has been ok with them.
FiatDiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 09:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
I agree and have experienced scams at IOC pumps in terms of pump rigging and wrong inflated price being charged.

I find Shell to be most reliable but fuel prices are normally 5% high as compared to state retailers.

Among state retailers I prefer HP over others. Experience has been ok with them.
It could be a combination of a couple of factors, the cost of transporting the fuel from the distributers to the bunks might be higher in IOC along with lesser oversight on the distribution practices, which might incentivize pump owners/managers to make money elsewhere, bringing me to my second point.

In the same vein the oversight on the pumps themselves might be lesser allowing such practices to be more rampant. This is more evident by a couple of points. First, IOC generally has lesser pumps in city areas, concentrating more on highways or outskirts, ensuring lesser repeat business. The other being, IOC pumps are generally less well maintained, wrt HP and BP pumps, Shell/Essar/Reliance are in a different league altogether.

Considering IOC is India's largest oil refiner and distributor, maybe their priorities for their retail business are not that high. Probably.
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 09:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:

I agree. When I am in remote areas I look out for HP/BP/Reliance where possible. Once in Rampur, UP I had major issues in an IOC pump - vehicle stalled in the highway on the way back.
Old 15th February 2022, 12:13   #51
BHPian

I once got scammed at a HP bunk in Hyderabad. Its on the Bangalore highway, can't recall exact location as it was ages ago. I asked for Rs 1,000 worth petrol and after halfway, this bloke came up to me and started promoting some HP Club offer (like I said, it was ages ago!). As I was talking to him, the pump stopped and the attendant reset the meter to 0 and said done. I knew at that moment I was conned but did not have proof, so just coughed up the amount, and moved on. Ever since, every time I fill up, my eyes are fixed to the meter like a hawk ignoring anyone who tries to talk to me while filling up. I don't even respond, just ignore like they don't exist. Of course, nowadays I fill a full tank so does not really matter.

Regards,
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Have experienced this with Shell on Old Madras Road, Bangalore a couple of times. I never did think this was a scam.

Luckily since VPower used to be much more expensive, I just used to exit the bunk and hence have never been scammed.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 01:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:

So, is this a scam to get you to fill premium fuel and make more money?

I can "understand" this practice with a private pump but a COCO doing it is shocking!

No this not a scam, its actually the SOP to be followed during Tanker Truck Decantation at petrol pumps, which states that sales from the Tank that product is being offloaded into has to have the sales stopped for the said period.

Secondly you will see this practice followed only at COCO pumps as they follow this sop with disregard to the sale loss it may result in due to the goodwill they have in the market. No private owned pump follows this SOP for fear of losing customer patronage.

Usually most trucks are at outlets being decanted around the lean business hours around 11-3 pm most pumps follow this process because when a truck is being decanted the underground product is mixed like a blender and no matter if its a COCO pump or a private pump each and every tank has gunk at the bottom and water which is mixed during decantation hence time is needed for it to settle so that its not accidently pumped into a customers car.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 02:30   #54
BHPian

I remember an attempt to scam in similar places. Even put up a google review immediately. Hope it helped someone make a wiser choice.

https://goo.gl/maps/rvAEiSMZVUF8WW5P7

Reading some of the recent review I guess over the years their antics have remained the same.
Old 16th February 2022, 10:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I just came across this on Twitter. Apparently a pump refueled 63 litres in what the owner says is a 50 litre Fuel Tank (Duster)

TWITTER LINK

Errant Fuel Station-
Shri Krishna Petroleum Udupi (Indian Oil)
Not defending the Fuel Station, but I have on multiple occasions filled a little over 60 litres in my Duster (when the tank is almost absolutely empty). The tank takes in around 12-14 litres after the auto cut off if you fill to the brim.
I am sure I wasn't swindled as well because I have done this multiple times at various petrol bunks in different states.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:03   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Whenever I go to a pump and they say card is not available or only premium fuel, I just go on. Thankfully, it works in cities where you almost have good fuel pumps in 5 km radius. I now a days mostly stick to Essar / Nayara - they only have one grade of fuel at the same price as the IOC / BP / HP. On highways, again, I stick to Essar as much possible. Else, Reliance or some COCO pumps.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:19   #57
BHPian

I have been scammed a few times.

1. I was returning back from Ahmedabad in my Qualis around 2008. I really need to take a bio break so stopped at fuel station near Surat at an IOC. I parked the car opened the fuel tank and went to the Washroom while my wife was watching the fueling. When I return the car was at different fueling station and I was told the pump stopped working at 300 and had to pay the 300 extra with no way to contest it. I was given a bill. After that I don't allow anyone to fuel my car unless I am watching.

2. This was in 2012 I guess when I was refueling my Mercedes W123 at an HP fuel station near my home. I was very vigilant and I saw the meter jump from 300 straight to 500 while filling. I had my eye on the meter and straight away stopped the filling. Called the manager and since I had almost empty tank while filling up, I was certain I could prove it. The manager refused to accept so I called the police control room and took the attendant and manager to the police station. A complaint was filed but the manager of the pump refused to let go of the payment. I offered the police to go to the mechanic empty the tank and measure the fuel. Suddenly the manager decided to waive off all the fuel charges. Since this was a Lazy Sunday morning near my home I decided to take them on. If I was at a far away place I would have let it go.

3. A scam similar to the 1st one was tried on me in Chennai near the airport where the meter stopped at 200. I told the attendant point blank that I know this scam and better not try it if he wants to keep his job. Suddenly everything started working in order. This was around 2018 while fueling the Isuzu V-cross.
tazmaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I regularly fill diesel at IOC, preferably at the COCO outlets, always get down from the car and keep a close watch on the fueling procedure. Never gotten scammed at IOC yet. Getting good averages and smooth engine noise. So I don't agree that IOC branded pumps have a greater propensity for bad fuel and pump rigging.

On the other hand, been scammed at an HP pump at Pune. Gave them grief and made them waive off the incorrect charges.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I once got scammed at a HP bunk in Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have been scammed a few times.
From my personal experience -

Whenever you encounter the meter stopping scam, ask them to provide the printed receipt from the meter associated with the dispenser. It will come with the amount of fuel dispensed, rate and amount. So it is the proof for you. Just pay only what is listed.

They may say that there is a power cut and hence dispenser is not printing. That is bogus as all of this is power backed up. Only the air compressor for air checking does not work. In that case, just ask the complaint book and manager/owner number, they will budge. You can complain online also and oil companies take these complaints seriously and will definitely call you and the outlet.

Having said that, prevention is better than cure. So the moment you step out and start watching the reading carefully, they won't generally mess with you.
thanixravindran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 12:05   #60
BHPian

Not sure it’s a scam so asking the community. This has happened with me a couple of times mostly at reliance petrol pumps the machine stops mid way and attendant mentions it’s due to power failure. The display of fuel dispensed and amount is still on. After a minute or two the power resumes ( generator backup I believe) the attendant resets the machine to zero and fills up again. I pay up the total of initial ( before power failure) and final amount. Not sure if it’s some scam but worried since this has happened a couple of times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks