Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:16   #91
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I once got scammed at a HP bunk in Hyderabad. Its on the Bangalore highway, can't recall exact location as it was ages ago. I asked for Rs 1,000 worth petrol and after halfway, this bloke came up to me and started promoting some HP Club offer (like I said, it was ages ago!). As I was talking to him, the pump stopped and the attendant reset the meter to 0 and said done. I knew at that moment I was conned but did not have proof, so just coughed up the amount, and moved on. Ever since, every time I fill up, my eyes are fixed to the meter like a hawk ignoring anyone who tries to talk to me while filling up. I don't even respond, just ignore like they don't exist. Of course, nowadays I fill a full tank so does not really matter.

Regards,
Rohan
This is one of the most common and obvious scams that fuel bunks do. Had experienced it at a BP bunk couple of years ago, decided I would never look away from the meter again.

But recently, I got scammed in a different way. I filled up INR 1000 worth petrol in my car and I knew the range would increase by approx 160-180km. Except, it didn't. I was driving for 10 min hoping it will eventually calibrate, but the increase was around 120km. Even the fuel gauge needle hadn't moved as much I expected it to. I knew the bunk meter did read INR 1000, so not sure how the hell they scammed me. You can't even use your fuel gauge or range estimate to argue with the bunk authorities, as it's highly variable across car models & drivers. If only manufacturers provided fuel quantity in liters or percentage.
amey027 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

Another scam observed: when we tell to fill for an amount, say Rs 1000, they pretend to have heard a small amount like 300. They fill till 300 and say "done". If we say "I said 1000", they will resume from 300, fill till 700 and say 300 + 700 = 1000.

The best thing to do is say nothing, pay the initial amount shown, and get away from the bunk.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:22   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
This happens quite often with me as well at the HP Bandra COCO pump
Been filling most of my cars from that pump since 3 decade and never had this issue.

Infact, with BPCL I have the opposite issue. I fill only Speed97 Octane in my RS5 and atleast once every 4-5 months they say they have run out of it.
This happened to me just last week and I had to go fill 100 octane from IOCL at a rip off price.

Last edited by Sahil : 22nd February 2022 at 15:25.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Another scam observed: when we tell to fill for an amount, say Rs 1000, they pretend to have heard a small amount like 300. They fill till 300 and say "done". If we say "I said 1000", they will resume from 300, fill till 700 and say 300 + 700 = 1000.

The best thing to do is say nothing, pay the initial amount shown, and get away from the bunk.
The initial part of this thread mentions this as a very prominent scam and the oldest one in the book. Although I have faced this on 2-3 occasions, I just pay the amount he has filled in and drive way. The look on their face is worth it
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 23:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

3. A scam similar to the 1st one was tried on me in Chennai near the airport where the meter stopped at 200. I told the attendant point blank that I know this scam and better not try it if he wants to keep his job. Suddenly everything started working in order. This was around 2018 while fueling the Isuzu V-cross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
From my personal experience -

Whenever you encounter the meter stopping scam, ask them to provide the printed receipt from the meter associated with the dispenser. It will come with the amount of fuel dispensed, rate and amount. So it is the proof for you. Just pay only what is listed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkivaturi View Post
Yes, this is a scam. Been in existence for many years. I got fooled once. And couple of years later, a HP Petrol Pump near my home in Hyderabad tried the same again. This time I asked him to give me both the receipts and then only I will pay the full amount. He backed out...
What's the scam here ? If the pump stops, you only pay for how much fuel dispensed right ? Or are you saying that the display also switches off and hence amount not visible ?
Old 27th February 2022, 01:06   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What's the scam here ? If the pump stops, you only pay for how much fuel dispensed right ? Or are you saying that the display also switches off and hence amount not visible ?
Example: Say, you ask for Rs.1000 fuel, they will stop at Rs.400. When you ask the reason, they will tell sorry, didn't heard, will fill now correctly and by that time you will be distracted by some one else. If you carefully observe the design of fuel dispenser, the last filled data will be available on the display and a manual reset is needed to make it Zero after putting the nozzle back before next filling. In a fraction of second, he will start resuming from Rs. 400 without resetting but will tell you now he has filled for Rs. 1000 and Rs.400 earlier. So you will be forced to give Rs.1400 (Rs.400 + Rs.1000). In reality, only Rs.1000 worth fuel is filled.

This can be caught by asking for the printed receipt of the last 2 transactions from the dispenser as it contains the volume of fuel dispensed, amount and timestamp.
thanixravindran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 09:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
In a fraction of second, he will start resuming from Rs. 400 without resetting but will tell you now he has filled for Rs. 1000 and Rs.400 earlier. So you will be forced to give Rs.1400 (Rs.400 + Rs.1000). In reality, only Rs.1000 worth fuel is filled.
Alternatively, starting from 400, they fill till 600 and say 400 + 600 = 1000. But fuel for only Rs 600 has been filled.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 09:47   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Alternatively, starting from 400, they fill till 600 and say 400 + 600 = 1000. But fuel for only Rs 600 has been filled.
This is a real scam. You can walk over to the sales room and ask for the automation records which should show two consecutive fuelings for Rs 400 and Rs 600, with the correct time and the nozzle number. Else use the complaint book or ask for the sales officer’s number. Sometimes they might have a cctv camera pointed at the dispensing unit. In which case you will see the attendant move his fingers over the keypad, pretending to reset the meter etc.
Vikram9193 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 20:02   #99

Quote:
Well I faced a similar situation too.
Parked next to a dispenser and soon got out of my car, asked the attendant to fill for Rs 1000.

I paid very close attention to the dispenser and also noticed it started from zero. Since I’ve been to this dealer(wasn’t a coco) but nonetheless trusted this place.
I had hastily taken my wallet out and it naturally fell to the ground, mind you picking it up took barely a second and magically the dispenser touched 1000 as I checked it again. I know these machines work pretty quickly and I might have been doubting myself too so I brushed it aside, paid the attendant and drove away. As I started the car, I noticed that the fuel gauge didn’t bump up at all, I reached there with a single bar and it stood there as I left too.

I went around the block thinking the sensor might take time to gauge the actual, but nope no improvement.

Super pissed I went back there and questioned this attendant and he made a fool of himself trying to prove he did everything right. Asked for the bill from the dispenser(I’ve just started this habit since this ordeal, much safer and is helpful) and he started apologising, I honestly was in no mood to argue anymore, he filled the required amount and left, never went to that dealer again.

Does anyone know any coco near bel road in Bangalore? Or a trusted dealer?
akhil29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 21:39   #100
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil29 View Post
Does anyone know any coco near bel road in Bangalore? Or a trusted dealer?
Something similar happened to me too and got cheated, it was the HP bunk on the new bel road near to 80 feet road. May I know which bunk was it?

I am not so sure if any coco near new bel road, but there is relatively new coco bunk got opened near HMT. I have been using this from sometime and I found it spacious and well managed.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gVh6J4gMkRxLUyeEA
Old 6th March 2022, 22:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

My Advice to All BHPians who have been scammed.

How not to Get Scammed

When Filling Fuel
Always Look arround the MPDs(Multi Product Dispensers) before heading towards one.
Most of the outlets have more than 2 MPDs, always go for one which has lower traffic.
Next, Make Sure that you either step out of car or sit inside and look towards Meter. Open the Fuel Lid while stepping out.

Tell the Quantity to be filled, it might be 1000/3000 or 30L whatever you wish. Now, the serious part starts. Leave Wallet and Mobile inside the car. Even key for that matter.

You have right to ask attender to reset zero before inserting nozzle into the fuel filler. If he has taken out the gun before filling ask to reset. If he has filled other vehicle and keeps continuing the same gun, ask him to reset it again.

After mentioning the quantity, keep your eyes on the Meter reading. Most modern MPDs have STPs and hence the fuel is dispensed fast initially and slows down at end.

Tip - Always keep the car in idle when filling the fuel. Cars with analog gauge will rise proportionally while filling, while digital gauge will take some time.

Higher the Amount/Quantity will lead to gauge turning towards Full.

Before stepping out, look out for Bars/Quarter Marks in Gauge. Post filling the gauges should turn provided the sensor is alright and fuel dispensed is correct.

Once the vehicle is filled, ask for immediate print of the receipt. If the attender doesn't give one, don't pay him. Why, Because, he has to submit the total amount collected at end of the day, now if you don't pay him, it'll stay as credit and he has to pay from his pocket.

After obtaining receipt, calculate the total fuel filled, next up divide the bars/quarter gauge by total capacity of tank of your vehicle. The fuel filled should be proportional to the gauge reading.

Ex - My car has 35L capacity, and has 12 bars (Digital).

Yesterday I filled just 5L and 2 bars were displayed. Which is correct.

Similar calculation has to be done in your vehicle. Some outlets dispense less fuel than normal.

Now, make the payment only after the above conditions are satisfied and you are good to go.

Any questions or queries related to this topic will be answered by me. Please feel free to ask.

Thank You
CarguyNish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 23:21   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
My Advice to All BHPians who have been scammed.
Very good points about fuel scams but I have some questions:
Quote:
Now, the serious part starts. Leave Wallet and Mobile inside the car. Even key for that matter.
Why? What happens if we have Wallet and Mobile in our pockets?
Quote:
Tip - Always keep the car in idle when filling the fuel.
Aren't we supposed to switch off the ignition while filling?
Quote:
Ex - My car has 35L capacity, and has 12 bars (Digital).
Yesterday I filled just 5L and 2 bars were displayed. Which is correct.
Similar calculation has to be done in your vehicle. Some outlets dispense less fuel than normal.
We can't exactly know the fuel volume looking at the bars. Let's say fuel capacity is 36L, 12 bars and each bar represents 3L. So 1 bar will be displayed for 1/2/3 Litres right? Even If you put 4 Litres, 2 bars will be displayed. So if the pump dispenses less fuel like 100ml or 200 ml, How will you know?
CarNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 08:00   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Why? What happens if we have Wallet and Mobile in our pockets?
Offcourse you can keep them in Pockets, but some people have tendency to divert attention towards them, in such situation, the attender will be waiting for that precious 1-3 seconds to cheat. Some people start browsing, chatting, calling as soon as they get off the car while filling, I have seen this many times.

Quote:
Aren't we supposed to switch off the ignition while filling?
Again, you can switch off the car when filling, but I always keep the car in idle while filling, especially with occupants in place, while when I am alone, I keep the engine off and ignition on.

Quote:
We can't exactly know the fuel volume looking at the bars. Let's say fuel capacity is 36L, 12 bars and each bar represents 3L. So 1 bar will be displayed for 1/2/3 Litres right? Even If you put 4 Litres, 2 bars will be displayed. So if the pump dispenses less fuel like 100ml or 200 ml, How will you know?
I will try to make a video when I am filling the vehicle next time. That should clarify.

Regarding Pump dispensing less fuel, maximum allowed quantity is 5ml/litre (Shrinkage Allowance). Anything beyond that the Weights and Measures Department will issue notice and later seize the pump.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:51   #104
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding Pump dispensing less fuel, maximum allowed quantity is 5ml/litre (Shrinkage Allowance). Anything beyond that the Weights and Measures Department will issue notice and later seize the pump.
Incorrect, any variation to the tune of +/- 25ml per 5 litre measure attracts a on the spot fine of 25k in case of a proprietorship firm or 25k per partner if its a partnership firm , with sales being suspended from that particular nozzle till its recalibrated and re stamped.

Dispensing unit can only be sealed if any external manipulation is found with it which is the cause of short fueling. If not then only a fine is liable to be paid and if this happens thrice the pump is terminated.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 22:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How not to Get Scammed
Thank you very much for the write-up.

Please advice, is it not advisable to fill for amount, but advisable to fill for quantity? I mean fill for 10 liters instead of for Rs.1,000. Now a days, in the age of UPI payments, there is no need to 'tender exact change', so its possible to fill for quantity. The question is, is there any advantage?

The rule that I have been following is, fill up when the tank is half full to get the tank three-fourth's full. For some reason, I don't do a tank-up. Maybe because I don't like to see fuel overflowing from the opening since 9 out 10 of the attendants are unable to gauge when a tank would be full. I think to answer my own question, I should go for auto-cut off

I did not understand the part. The meter should be reset before the nozzle is pulled out from the dispenser or it's OK if the meter is reset before the nozzle is inserted into the fuel tank opening?

From what I have noticed, fuel pump attendants do not play tricks with Customers who look serious, ask a lot of questions and make a hue and cry about the whole fuel filling process. They target the casual ones
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks