Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 15:58   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: National Green Tribunal says, 10 year old Diesel Vehicles banned in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Tareekh pe Tareekh Pe Tareekh!!!

On a more serious note, IIT presented proof that old cars contribute 1% or something.
But NGT says why didn't you do study for heavy vehicles also. Do a complete study and then come to us.

Now what can happen.
IIT does a study which matches the Americans study saying old and new commercial vehicles(even 5 years old) are causing the pollution. Only solution is expressways to bypass Delhi, or ban all commercial vehicles in Delhi(not happening).

I guess center will get deadlines to finish the expressway. The deadline will come, and then go whooshing buy. And then Tareekh pe Tareekh pe Tareekh.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 09:21   #212
Senior - BHPian

If now the work done by experts is getting reviewed then why the decision of banning diesel vehicles was given out in a rush?
is there some lobby working behind the scene and thus banning was picked up as quick and dirty solution or its just that NGT wants to show its presence in India?
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:15   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tareekh pe Tareekh Pe Tareekh!!!

On a more serious note, IIT presented proof that old cars contribute 1% or something.
But NGT says why didn't you do study for heavy vehicles also. Do a complete study and then come to us.

Now what can happen.
IIT does a study which matches the Americans study saying old and new commercial vehicles(even 5 years old) are causing the pollution. Only solution is expressways to bypass Delhi, or ban all commercial vehicles in Delhi(not happening).

I guess center will get deadlines to finish the expressway. The deadline will come, and then go whooshing buy. And then Tareekh pe Tareekh pe Tareekh.
That's the actual situation of the Indian Judiciary. This was actually the first thing that came out of my mouth after I came to know that the next date is 25th - Tareekh Pe Tareekh.

So fingers crossed till the next Takreekh. But the bench has accepted a plea by the Heritage Motoring Club of India to spare the Vintage and Classic Cars and the final decision is to be taken on the next date for the Vintage and Classics.
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:31   #214
Senior - BHPian

Why isnt a stay obtained on this in the supreme court?

Recently NGT imposed penalty on some builders for causing ecological damage in Bengaluru and they have got a stay over that from SC :(
Old 25th May 2015, 17:50   #215
BHPian

http://www.ptinews.com/news/6068771_...-extends-stay-

Ban stayed till 13/07/2015

That's another Tareekh. Seems NGT is shying away from the aftermath of the order it gave without any logical reasoning behind it.
Old 26th May 2015, 14:43   #216
Team-BHP Support

Even though NGT may seem like the villain here and their 10 year ban was of course knee jerk, for the current situation I would blame the govt and IIT.
They came up with a study about 10 year old vehicles not contributing to pollution, but did not include commercial vehicles at all.
A thorough study proving that trucks passing through capital are to be blamed(like that American guy in the Auto rick with monitoring equipment) should be enough to prove that we do not need to ban vehicles, but create an alternate route bypassing Delhi. The onus will be on the govt then.

Second blame I would put on the courts, which I think have not been harsh enough on the govts for the delays for KMP expressway etc., Infact, same story everywhere. The penalties are not a deterrent enough. Look what has happened to NH1. Deadlines come and go, but we haven't seen a single act of tough action on the road building company.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 14:01   #217
Team-BHP Support

The Government of Delhi has declared that it is willing to ban diesel vehicles more than 10 years of age in accordance with the order issued by the National Green Tribunal (NGT). However, it wants some time to implement measures like running additional buses so that there is no crisis.

Link to Team-BHP News Artice
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 19:14   #218
BHPian

Why not place limits on emissions instead of banning all vehicles. This is punishing citizens for buying diesel cars.. and what happens to all those 10 yr old Diesel vehicles ? Will they be scrapped or sold off to some tier-2 town / city.

IMHO, Laws need to serve the objective of reducing pollution the right way and not by banning old cars.
Old 10th June 2015, 11:20   #219
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, we friends were talking about having a trip to Delhi to pick up those SUVs which will come to the used market when this ban gets effected, so that we can pick up good SUVs at a fraction of the cost they cost us in Bangalore. Now, it seems like we better start planning for that trip

Jokes apart, I hope better sense prevail and Central Govt overturns this ban - Instead of blanket ban, government should introduce stringent pollution checks and make sure that all vehicles adhere to the pollution checks.

Also, why levy congestion charges for vehicles registered outside Delhi? If at all the government wants to levy congestion charges, it should be for using vehicles during peak hours, or for using vehicles on specific roads.

--Anoop
Old 10th June 2015, 12:33   #220
Team-BHP Support

London is now a Low Emission zone. The restrictions are focused on HGV's before 2006 and lighter commercial vehicles before 2002.

These vehicles have to pay 100 pounds a day or 200 pounds if over 3.5 tonnes. You can get pollution control equipment fitted by a certified supplier and be retested, to certify that the vehicle complies.

Enforcement is by automated number plate readers, linked to the DVLA database which has your car details.
Old 14th July 2015, 08:21   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

The RTO has issued guidelines to stop the re-registration of diesel vehicles which are over 10 years old, and petrol vehicles which are over 15 years old, on Monday.

Even if the owners of such vehicles procure a NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from another state, they will not be registered.

Quote:
"When the order was initially passed, we thought it was not practical to execute this ban at the ground level. It is impossible to check each and every vehicle's age while it is plying on the road so, to keep a tab on these vehicles, we have planned to stop re-registering the diesel vehicles over 10 years old and petrol vehicles over 15 years old," said Mamta Singh, regional transport officer.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 08:42   #222
Senior - BHPian

What will happen to vintage and classic vehicles? Will we not be able to own them anymore? At the moment, from what I understand, they have to be parked privately and can come out only to take part in a vintage car rally or similar event. Looks like they cannot even be driven on the roads, and they have to be towed to the venue of an auto show etc.
Old 14th July 2015, 09:49   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The RTO has issued guidelines to stop the re-registration of diesel vehicles which are over 10 years old, and petrol vehicles which are over 15 years old, on Monday.

Even if the owners of such vehicles procure a NOC (No-Objection Certificate) from another state, they will not be registered.

ET
Pointless, Since all vehicles will have a valid registration for 15 years.
And owners would still be able to ply these vehicles on road.
Will affect only those who plan to purchase and re register a 10+ year old diesel vehicle.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 09:55   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Pointless, Since all vehicles will have a valid registration for 15 years.
And owners would still be able to ply these vehicles on road.
Will affect only those who plan to purchase and re register a 10+ year old diesel vehicle.
Can you elaborate on this please?
My car will be 10 in august this year, and I will not have to approach the RTO, that I understand.However, my insurance also lapses in august, and I am renewing it. Will that cause the car to pop up on someone's radar?
Old 14th July 2015, 10:15   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can you elaborate on this please?
My car will be 10 in august this year, and I will not have to approach the RTO, that I understand.However, my insurance also lapses in august, and I am renewing it. Will that cause the car to pop up on someone's radar?
As far as my understating goes, original registration of 15 years for Diesel vehicles will hold good and the insurance companies will continue to renew the insurance.

This will also not impact the transfer of ownership within same RTO i.e. a car with Delhi registration can be sold within Delhi until the end of 15 year period and the ownership will be transferred to the new owner.

The original registration is practically a legal agreement between the state and the vehicle owner and thus cannot be challenged, i.e. precisely the reason of RTOs non-compliance to the NGT orders and the Central Government / Ministry of Transport is also betting heavily on it to negate NGT orders.

Transfer and re-registration to another state will be a problem. This is based on my interaction with a second hand car dealer.

I hope this helps.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks