Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 00:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo V40 Cross Country petrol launched at Rs. 27 Lakh (Ex-Mumbai)

It seems that the price revision comes with a deletion of certain features.

The T4 Petrol is sold in "Momentum" trim whereas D3 Diesel comes in "Inscription" trim.

The Petrol doesn't have

Panoramic Roof
Tempered Side Windows
Front Seat Heating
Compass
Leather Steering Wheel with inlays
Cruise Control
Park Assist Pilot +
Rear Camera
DVD Player.

And while the Diesel comes with 17" alloys, it's 16" for the petrol.

So the new variant is not as loaded as the Diesel.

But I am not sure of what all features were there in the Diesel version before the rejig.

Source: http://www.volvocarindia.com/data/V4...ochure-Web.pdf

EDIT: Had a look at the old brochure. It mentions panoramic roof, rear camera, cruise control and 17' alloys as standard.

Why on earth did Volvo delete the Rear View Camera from the list?

Last edited by Yeldo : 21st April 2015 at 00:36.
Yeldo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 12:04   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Volvo sure has the styling now, and that 1.6L turbo sounds like fun! Sadly, the brand image will continue to work against it. For most Indians, Volvo = Bus. And that's not a good thing when selling expensive cars.

Still, cars like these will help it register a little more presence in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Being a Volvo, I know it's the safest in it's segment.
Come on! Safety is hardly a Volvo USP anymore. Mercedes, Audi & BMW also make stupendously safe cars, and they all have 5-star NCAP ratings.

The time when Volvo was 'safer than the Germans' is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I assume the lazer assisted automatic braking is unlikely to feature in the models sold in India? The government doesnt approve the use of lazer or radar guided features in cars?
This might change - related thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
One has to keep in mind that the cost of insurance for Volvo is much lower than the German brands.
Really? You mean its cheaper to insure a 27 lakh Volvo than a 27 lakh Mercedes / BMW? I didn't think Indian insurance companies were there yet, where they consider the repair costs of each make / model before quoting a premium.
Old 21st April 2015, 12:25   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For most Indians, Volvo = Bus.

Isn't Mercedes also bus/truck maker? Does this really matter? Personally, I would prefer Volvo over Germans which are just too many on our roads and which have lost the exclusivity they once had.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 12:54   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really? You mean its cheaper to insure a 27 lakh Volvo than a 27 lakh Mercedes / BMW? I didn't think Indian insurance companies were there yet, where they consider the repair costs of each make / model before quoting a premium.
Yes it is! Volvo and similarly for Toyota. I get much better insurance rates for my Toyota vs the Ford.

The insurance guys have some categories. Volvo and Toyota are under low risk categories. Insurance companies give better discounts but don't mention anywhere about these categories. BMW insurance rates are more followed by Merc.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Isn't Mercedes also bus/truck maker? Does this really matter? Personally, I would prefer Volvo over Germans which are just too many on our roads and which have lost the exclusivity they once had.
Yes Mercedes also makes buses.
However Indians have always associated premium cars with the three pointed star. Many from the older generation have always aspired to own a Benz.

Mercedes was already an established premium passenger vehicle brand in India before they made their foray into HCV segment. If anything atleast in India it would have helped build their image as a valid compeitetor to Volvo.

The exact opposite holds true for Volvo. Most Indians would associate Volvo with buses and to some extent trucks as well.
One wouldn't want to buy a premium car from someone who makes HCVs now would he ?

Simply put to the majority of Indians:
Mercedes = Premium car manufacturer now making buses and trucks.
Volvo = Bus manufacturer now making cars.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 13:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
When we purchased our Honda CRV, the basic own damage came up to Rs 37840 for an IDV of 22 lakhs. I was given a 25% discount on this and when I enquired, the insurance agent informed me that the CRV is a safe vehicle in this segment and we offer such discounts to Volvo as well. I am not 100% sure if this information is credible.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 15:28   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Isn't Mercedes also bus/truck maker?
Among other things, Mercedes also makes cycles & cargo vans.

That doesn't matter. What does is what your brand is known for. Volvo is known more for buses than cars in India. Mercedes - on the other hand - is known as a luxury car maker that also makes trucks.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2015 at 17:35.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 20:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread. I am currently bargaining for a v40 cc petrol. Can anyone mention what the going discounts are like right now? Any contacts of higher up would also help. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th December 2015, 21:10   #24
BHPian

I own the only V40 CC Petrol sold in Chennai as of date.i picked up mine just before 30th of September to avail full depreciation for the year. I bargained hard and got a 20% discount on the ex-showroom price, insurance was free and extended warranty at 50k. The car is outstanding in terms of performance and frugality. I found the petrol to be a complete steal in comparison to the overpriced cooper S and the A-class.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th December 2015 at 13:12. Reason: Typo.
ninjax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 22:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjax View Post
I own the only V40 CC Petrol sold in Chennai as of date.i picked up mine just before 30th of September to avail full depreciation for the year. I bargained hard and got a 20% discount on the ex-showroom price, insurance was free and extended warranty at 50k. The car is outstanding in terms of performance and frugality. I found the petrol to be a complete steal in comparison to the overpriced cooper S and the A-class.
Hi

I'm being offered something roughly similar. The ex showroom in bangalore is over 29 because of high vat rate and onroad is 37 because of the retarded tax structure here. I am being offered a red with black interiors for around 5 less with two completely free services and some accessories thrown in. Do you think its worth it?

Last edited by reignofchaos : 16th December 2015 at 22:48.
Old 18th December 2015, 12:21   #26
BHPian

I would ask you to squeeze a bit more from his side, ask him to throw the insurance,warranty and if possible ask him to give you the polestar upgrade free of cost that would be an outstanding offer. Polestar tuning works out to 75k, it bumps the output to 220 bhp at minimal trade off to mileage. The 180 Bhp is good but the 220 bhp output after polestar is godmode.
Old 18th December 2015, 17:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Hi

I'm being offered something roughly similar. The ex showroom in bangalore is over 29 because of high vat rate and onroad is 37 because of the retarded tax structure here. I am being offered a red with black interiors for around 5 less with two completely free services and some accessories thrown in. Do you think its worth it?
Woah, you're paying almost 40 big ones for a V40, doesn't it make sense to buy from another city then? This is crazy! Personally I would also consider the 3 series which is due for an update and is being offered at crazy discounts and will be around the same price. Although I love the V40 immensely the 3 is a much more accomplished car.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Woah, you're paying almost 40 big ones for a V40, doesn't it make sense to buy from another city then? This is crazy! Personally I would also consider the 3 series which is due for an update and is being offered at crazy discounts and will be around the same price. Although I love the V40 immensely the 3 is a much more accomplished car.
I am paying 32 big ones. Unfortunately this is the state in bangalore as luxury cars beyond 20lac are taxed at 19.92 pct of ex showroom and the rto is on the rampage impounding out of state registration cars. You basically have to shell out tax whether you like it or not. The 3 is selling for 37 for the base prestige edition and 42 for sportline. As for the 3, I would have bought it if the 328I was available but right now there is only the diesel on sale. Not a fan of diesels

Last edited by reignofchaos : 18th December 2015 at 20:15.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 11:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I am paying 32 big ones. Unfortunately this is the state in bangalore as luxury cars beyond 20lac are taxed at 19.92 pct of ex showroom and the rto is on the rampage impounding out of state registration cars. You basically have to shell out tax whether you like it or not. The 3 is selling for 37 for the base prestige edition and 42 for sportline. As for the 3, I would have bought it if the 328I was available but right now there is only the diesel on sale. Not a fan of diesels
Ah yes, I just bought a 328i from premium selection recently, unless you're certain you will be buying new only. I'd reccomend you pay a visit to the premium selection showroom in Bangalore, you can check the dealer inventory online on http://www.bmw.com/in/en/usedvehicle...2010/main.html
Old 21st December 2015, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Ah yes, I just bought a 328i from premium selection recently, unless you're certain you will be buying new only. I'd reccomend you pay a visit to the premium selection showroom in Bangalore, you can check the dealer inventory online on http://www.bmw.com/in/en/usedvehicle...2010/main.html
I'd not be averse to buying a gently used 328i as well. Unfortunately there are none on sale in Bangalore or in all of Karnataka.

In fact I had actually looked at BMW premium selection before - there was nothing available in petrol other than a slightly run down 525i.

This place is diesel country and finding a petrol car is like looking for a needle in a haystack .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 21st December 2015 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks